PDA

View Full Version : Need hotel advice...

babytmakes5
07-20-2005, 07:23 AM
hello all! i am starting to think about our trip to disneyland next spring. we stayed at the disneyland hotel last year with our three children, and we loved being so close to the parks and getting all the little perks that staying at a disney hotel offers. we are tentatively planning on staying at the grand californian, but i'm hoping to get some alternative ideas. would we be just as happy (and close) if we stayed at a "good neighbor" hotel? like i said, it was so nice being able to just walk back to our hotel with our three children, i want to be really close to the parks at the end of the evening. but i don't know the layout of the other hotels and how far and convenient it would be to walk with three young children. of course, the reason why we would consider not staying at a disney hotel would be cost. we are willing to save up the cash and stay at the grand californian, but if we can be almost as close to the parks and save some money staying elsewhere, then we will do that. when i compare prices, a huge suite at a good neighbor hotel would cost only as much as a standard room at the grand californian. what are your thoughts? any ideas? thank you!

trina

stitchlvr
07-20-2005, 08:27 AM
hello all! i am starting to think about our trip to disneyland next spring. we stayed at the disneyland hotel last year with our three children, and we loved being so close to the parks and getting all the little perks that staying at a disney hotel offers. we are tentatively planning on staying at the grand californian, but i'm hoping to get some alternative ideas. would we be just as happy (and close) if we stayed at a "good neighbor" hotel? like i said, it was so nice being able to just walk back to our hotel with our three children, i want to be really close to the parks at the end of the evening. but i don't know the layout of the other hotels and how far and convenient it would be to walk with three young children. of course, the reason why we would consider not staying at a disney hotel would be cost. we are willing to save up the cash and stay at the grand californian, but if we can be almost as close to the parks and save some money staying elsewhere, then we will do that. when i compare prices, a huge suite at a good neighbor hotel would cost only as much as a standard room at the grand californian. what are your thoughts? any ideas? thank you!

trina

I normally stay at one of the hotels on Harbor Blvd. (across from the crosswalk). It is as close as staying on property and cheaper. It kind of depends what you want. For us, we are never in the room so it really doesn't matter what it's like as long as it's clean. So this works for us. If you are spending more time away from the park and in hotel rooms it might not work as well for you. There are many hotel reviews on the Harbor hotels on Mousepad. I have stayed at several. For me, I try to get as close to the crosswalk as I can at the cheapest price (although there are a couple I won't go back to). If you decide to go this route and have questions about specific hotels, I'd be happy to let you know what I thought of it (if I stayed there). You can PM me or just post on the thread. There is a link of a map that I use to know where the hotels are. I'll try to find it.

Zigen
07-20-2005, 08:31 AM
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Default.asp

Try that one.

EvanRude
07-20-2005, 08:34 AM
If I remember correctly.
We stayed at a hotel near the convention center. To cut down on the walk we entered the parking lot and took the Timon tram from the turn around to the park. Sure cut down the walk and runs more than the hotel bus.
But now I stay on DLR property.

pisces
07-20-2005, 08:35 AM
I wish somebody would tell us (You'd think on this site, particularly, somebody would know)......where that crosswalk leads to.

Does it lead straight to the IHOP? Does it lead to Park Place? Does it lead to the Park Inn-----or is that Park Vue Inn?, one of those is around there somewhere. Every review I ever read of the Tropicanna says it (Trop) is as close to the Park as you can get.

When I surveyed the landscape, in the rain......I couldn't see much. The trees obscure things. It looked like the crosswalk led directly to.......Captain Kidd's, which is the other side of Park Place.

So, I really don't know. My next visit, I'm going to get my tape measure out and see exactly where that crosswalk goes to.

stitchlvr
07-20-2005, 08:35 AM
I found the one I use (http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html)
Sorry I don't know how to post links. It looks like the other link is great too. Now you have two, you can compare reviews.

stitchlvr
07-20-2005, 08:39 AM
I wish somebody would tell us (You'd think on this site, particularly, somebody would know)......where that crosswalk leads to.

Does it lead straight to the IHOP? Does it lead to Park Place? Does it lead to the Park Inn-----or is that Park Vue Inn?, one of those is around there somewhere. Every review I ever read of the Tropicanna says it (Trop) is as close to the Park as you can get.

When I surveyed the landscape, in the rain......I couldn't see much. The trees obscure things. It looked like the crosswalk led directly to.......Captain Kidd's, which is the other side of Park Place.

So, I really don't know. My next visit, I'm going to get my tape measure out and see exactly where that crosswalk goes to.

In my opinion, the crosswalk is right between BWPPI and the Park Vue. I think that BWPPI is the closest hotel to the crosswalk. However, I have heard some people argue that if you get a room in the back, it's not so close. When I stayed there, we were near the front and walked right out to the crosswalk.

Pat-n-Eil
07-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Ok.. so we've also stayed at all three Disney properties as well as good neighbor hotels and motels through the years.

Currently, because we are big fans of the enhanced FastPass, we stay at a Disney Property booked through AAA. This year we're staying at the GCH. Everyone knows it is pricey, and whether or not it is worth the extra expense is an individual choice. The benefits, for me are:

1. Enhanced FastPass
2. Walk-in entrance to DCA just downstairs
3. Great atmosphere on the hotel grounds.

The biggest factor, for us, is #1 above because my whole family loves the E-Ticket attractions and we utilize the passes to their full extent. If you don't care about that, then there are much cheaper ways to go.

The Howard Johnson hotel gets rave reviews on this forum and it was voted the best hotel in Anaheim. It is cheaper than a Disney property and though I haven't stayed there, it looks like a very reasonable walking distance.

In my opinion, stick to the places on Harbor Blvd. In particular, we enjoyed the Park Place Inn (right across the street from the Dland entrance) and also the Park Inn Anaheim which I got for a great rate and really enjoyed. It had a great view of the fireworks on our 5th floor room. (pool is on the 4th floor). Others have posted their affinity for the Candy Cane Inn among others.

What's nice about Park Inn Anaheim is that it is right next door to Mimi's. Depending on what you want, you can get a better - more substantial and larger variety sit-down meal with table service for less than "dining" in the park. There is also a McDonald's you can walk to as well. Cheaper there than inside the Park.

Park Place Inn also has "Mom's" restaurant which has both menu service and a buffet. It is reasonable as well. Of course there are other Restaurants on Harbor too, like IHOP and Tony Roma's. The bottom line is really how your family likes to enjoy the park. If you want to go there when it opens and stay until it closes and you can enjoy all you want to with regular FastPass and perhaps Ridemax.. then I'd definitely stay at a good neighbor place. If you like to take a break during the day, make sure it is one on Harbor.. or if you are willing to splurge a bit for the Disney property, you will get the full experience.

pisces
07-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Baby, at least you've got some time.

It's absolute agony for me trying to make a decision, because the week I'm going is such a crazy time with the weather, it may or may not rain; and then the crowds, which may or may not show up......they didn't this past New Years.....and my finances which may or may not cooperate. Everything is up in the air with me. And, time is running out. I'm usually set by now.

I don't think I could bear not staying at the GC. It would really help if I could get my hands on some of those toiletries and chip-n-dale chocolates....then I would just squint my eyes and fool myself into thinking I was staying GC while staying elsewhere.

It seems strange to say, but I'd miss the shower curtain, bedspread, the wicker basket, etc...

I wish I could just buy those things somewhere and take 'em to a Good Neighbor, and have instant GC !!!

stitchlvr
07-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Baby, at least you've got some time.

It's absolute agony for me trying to make a decision, because the week I'm going is such a crazy time with the weather, it may or may not rain; and then the crowds, which may or may not show up......they didn't this past New Years.....and my finances which may or may not cooperate. Everything is up in the air with me. And, time is running out. I'm usually set by now.

I don't think I could bear not staying at the GC. It would really help if I could get my hands on some of those toiletries and chip-n-dale chocolates....then I would just squint my eyes and fool myself into thinking I was staying GC while staying elsewhere.

It seems strange to say, but I'd miss the shower curtain, bedspread, the wicker basket, etc...

I wish I could just buy those things somewhere and take 'em to a Good Neighbor, and have instant GC !!!

Unfortunately Pisces, I don't think that would do it. I haven't stayed at the Grand Californian, but just walking through it, you are not going to get that atmosphere at a Good Neighbor Hotel. This is just probably important to you and your experience. For me, I'm never in the room so it doesn't make any difference.(Although I am considering a stay at DL Hotel in January for DD's birthday-in lieu of a birthday party). Don't feel bad, it is just part of what makes the experience special for you!

kohl
07-20-2005, 08:54 AM
We had reservations at Howard Johnson's this past July 7- 10, then I got a great rate at the last minute for PP hotel for only $10 more a night!
For us, we really love staying on property. Usually if you go off season, you can usually stay on property for not much more a night.

stitchlvr
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
We had reservations at Howard Johnson's this past July 7- 10, then I got a great rate at the last minute for PP hotel for only $10 more a night!
For us, we really love staying on property. Usually if you go off season, you can usually stay on property for not much more a night.

I guess I need to find out more about how you get your rates. Every time I check it's nearly twice the price of what I'm paying and I can't justify that. I do go off season at times (although it's usually during school vacations since that's when I'm off). That may be the problem. It may not be truely off season.

kohl
07-20-2005, 09:19 AM
First, we have an AP so we usually get those rates. We don't go when schools are out. We take our kids out of school. It's getting harder since they are getting older, but I think they will remember these family trips for the rest of thier lives.
The most we have ever paid at any hotel there was $179 at GCH. We can usually get GCH for $159. I've wanted to take the kids this summer, but I cannot find any good rates for the Disney Hotels. The least I can find is PP for $255! :eek:

Rteneyck
07-20-2005, 09:40 AM
1. Enhanced FastPass

This may be a stupid question, but what is the enhanced fastpass?

Pat-n-Eil
07-20-2005, 09:43 AM
1. Enhanced FastPass

This may be a stupid question, but what is the enhanced fastpass?

The "Enhanced" version allows you to get one FastPass for every ride that takes the FastPass at the same time. The regular version you need to wait until the return time has come on your FastPass before you can get another (or 2 hours if the wait is longer). Most FastPass rides are connected to the network so the computers know if your return time has arrived or not - but a couple of attractions (Grizzly River Run and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin) are not connected to the network, so you can hold those at the same time as another FastPass ride without having the enhanced version.

You can only get the enhanced version by booking a minimum 2 night stay at a Disney hotel (DLH, GCH or PP) through AAA.

Note: you don't have to have AAA insurance, just have a membership to their road service which is about $45/year. You will save more than that off the hotel rates on your first trip so it's cheaper than booking through the Disney travel company website, and you'll get the enhanced FastPass - so that is a no brainer for us.

The old man
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
We always stay at the BWPPI--no closer walk to the park. It's at best a two star hotel with a crummy free continential breakfast--but it works for us--two adults and a 7 year old. For us it's all about convenience.
David

Micki0624
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
One of the cheapest places I have found for some Good Neighbor resorts is

www.hotelkingdom.com

We use this for Disney as well as Las Vegas. It normally comes out cheaper on this site than going to the hotels home web site.

babytmakes5
07-26-2005, 05:35 AM
this board is awesome--i can't believe all the thoughtful responses to my question on where to stay at DL. i just wanted to say thank you to each and every reply. we've talked so much about this trip already, and we don't even depart until next april! i like to plan way ahead so i know what to expect, and hopefully i will be able to come up with a good deal or two. based on your recommendations, i think we will spend the cash and stay at the grand californian. we were at the disneyland hotel last time, and we loved being on the disney property--we felt like we never left disneyland, even when we had to go to our rooms to sleep! the main reason for staying there is the fact that my little ones will probably need a break mid-day, and it will be convenient to be as close as possible.

another question (maybe i should have started a new thread, but here goes): any advice on how to get a good room at a good price at the GC? we will probably book online with disney travel so that we can make smaller payments rather than pay all at once. when we stayed at the disneyland hotel last spring, we had to fight tooth and nail for a decent room, even after we paid for a "premium" room. we supposedly paid for a park view two bedroom suite, but when we checked in, they offered us a view of the parking lot in a one bedroom suite. we fought hard, but they eventually gave us two adjoining standard rooms starting our second night that faced the water/light show. and we only got that because my husband said he wouldn't leave the check-in counter until he spoke with the manager. my husband and i slept on the pull-out sofa the first night--that wouldn't be so bad, but we paid for a king size bed in our own room. they offered no monetary compensation. it was horrible, and i don't want to go through that next time. any advice?

trina

CoasterChickie
07-26-2005, 07:21 AM
If you're going to stay off property, and want to be within walking distance, I recommend the Howard Johnson's. The rooms are great and the swimming pool area is really fun. You can even watch the fireworks while sitting in the hot tub! Plus the price is right. Be sure to request a room in Building 1 facing the park, versus facing the freeway.

Another really good off sie hotel that feels kind of magical is the Sheraton. It looks like a castle on the outside and has a castle theme on the inside. The rooms are really nice and the beds are really comfy. You can see the fieworks from the parking lot and you can walk to the park, but it is probably faster to take the shuttle. You can probably get the best prices there by booking through Expedia.

Good luck planning your trip!