PDA

View Full Version : Transit from downtown LA? Parks at capacity?

Kitty-chan
07-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, first post. :)

I'm going to be in LA for a business trip, and can't resist a quick side trip to DL! Unfortunately it's probably going to have to be in the evening, most likely on Thursday July 28, or Friday July 29.

So, two questions . . .

1) What advice can people offer about getting to DL from downtown LA? We'll be staying at the downtown Mariott, near the Staples Center. We're thinking of renting a car for the day since the public transit seems inconvenient (I can only find a bus, no trains -- and with stops every couple blocks, ugh!).

2) If we're arriving at, say 7PM on either of those dates, is it likely that one or both parks will be at capacity and not admitting people? I'm guessing Thursday is a better bet than Friday for getting into DL. Is DCA ever at capacity?

Any other advice is welcome too. (Just for context. . . I've most recently been to DL in July 2004.)

Thanks in advance! :cool:

stan4d_steph
07-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Welcome to MP. If you haven't tried searching already, you will find a wealth of information here already that can be found using keywords.

In answer to your questions:

1) Public transit is very inconvenient from LA to DL. You are better off arranging for a shuttle service or renting a car and braving the SoCal freeways.

2) Capacity is rarely reached. I would not worry about getting in to the park on July 28-29. It will be crowded due to summer travel, but not at capacity.

Andrew
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
As Steph said, public transit generally sucks. I believe you can take Amtrak from Union Station to the Anaheim station--next door to Angel Stadium--and a free(?) shuttle to Disneyland. Renting a car will be much more convenient.

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
I suggest renting a car instead of taking the train to Disneyland for the mere fact that you are going at night only. I'd suggest the Metrolink train or Amtrak if you planned on being there in the morning as the train and the shuttle to the park is convenient and you miss the traffic.

The MTA (oops they changed names to Metro) does have bus service to Disneyland but its going to take you longer to get to DL since they have other stops. A car is more convenient although the evening traffic to Orange County at the time of day is pretty bad if you aren't used to it.

Disneyfun
07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Is DCA ever at capacity?

Thanks for the good laugh!
as for the answer I do not hik it has ever even come close.

spectromen
07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Amtrak is actually very convenient and traffic-free, just make sure that the times work for you by checking amtrak.com. I think the latest train back to LA is sometime between 11pm-midnight. Or perhaps you can skip one night at the Downtown Marriott in exchange for the Anaheim Marriott and worry about getting home the next morning! Enjoy your stay!

Kitty-chan
07-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the good laugh!
as for the answer I do not hik it has ever even come close.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny myself! :p I spent some time at DCA last year, and other than the Alladin show it really didn't do much for me.

Amtrak is actually very convenient and traffic-free, just make sure that the times work for you by checking amtrak.com.

Amtrak is sounding like a good option -- we're almost certainly going to be leaving downtown LA at rush hour, so even leaving aside things like parking cost, the train sounds mighty good. The last train out is at 11:15, earlier than I would have hoped, but I'll bet the time we miss at the end of the night will be gained back by not sitting in rush hour traffic for 3 hours.

Any idea what cab fare is like, if we end up missing the last train?