PDA

View Full Version : Daughter has sun/heat allergy

Pages : [1] 2

karliebug
07-18-2005, 05:01 PM
We are visiting WDW in a few weeks. I have recently discovered that my 6 year old has a sun/heat allergy. She breaks out in big hive-type welts on her face neck and chest which make her miserable. Sunscreen prevents burning, but not the allergic reaction. Will I be able to get an alternate entrance pass or be able to enter thru fast pass or at least wait in a cooler,shaded area? Do I need a note from her dr.? Will they even believe me??

AVP
07-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Uh boy. This is one of the tougher SAP issues, and WDW handles it differently than does DLR.

What you'll need to do is go to guest relations and explain the situation. The Cast Members can not ask to see or really even look at any documentation you might bring. I'd bring it anyway.

What you'll get is a card with a sun stamp on it. For attractions that are indoors or have a completely shaded queue, you'll go through the regular line. For attractions that have FastPass, you'll use FastPass. For attractions with a sunny / outdoor line AND no FastPass, you present the card to the cast member at the entrance of the line. They are supposed to provide a shaded area for you to wait, OR give you a return time, equal to the current wait time for that attraction, so you can go sit in a shaded area.

And if things have changed in the past few months, I'm sure Teri will be in here in a moment to correct me. ;)

AVP

ToursbabeC3po
07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow I just learn something new I did not even know they have a sun stamp. Like AVP said just be ready to explain how they can accomidate you on your trip. They are very nice in city hall most of the time but sometimes we have bad days to eh? You may want to rent a stroller for your daughter. ALthough she is 6 she will fit into these strollers at disney and they provide some shade for her. If you do go the stroller route you can get a GAC stamp that allows you to use your stroller as a wheelchair on rides and attractions. Best wishes and I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!
Toursbabe

AVP
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
If you do go the stroller route you can get a GAC stamp that allows you to use your stroller as a wheelchair on rides and attractions. The stroller = wheelchair stamp is only used for mobility issues when the child in question is using a stroller INSTEAD of a wheelchair. I've never heard of them giving it out for sun sensitivity / allergy, and I would honestly consider that an abuse of the system when a parasol / umbrella would accomplish the same thing. From the OP, the child needs shade, not a wheelchair.

AVP

ToursbabeC3po
07-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi AVP, if the child needs shade because of a skin allergy and a stroller would help get the shade she needs what is the problem with that? That is not abusing the system at all. Sun allergies can be very serious and if Disney does not have a way to help her that is a fair alternative. It is not as if the will be skipping lines the stroller waits in almost all lines. I don't think anyone here was trying to find a way to cheat the system but to find a workable alternative. Yes a umbrella would work but maybe a 6 year old would have a problem holding a umbrella all day? I was just pointing out there are other options. Stroller are not always used for mobility issues they are used for many things with the alternative stamp. I have seen Disney issue the stroller stamp for children with ADD that can not walk in a line for behavioral issues.
Until Disney provides the proper way of getting on a attraction (a time to come back) for guest like these then you have to make due with what you have. Even with fastpass there will be some lines in the sun so although that will cut there time in line it will not provide the assistance they need.
Cheating the system is when you do not have a need and abuse it. When you find a creative way of accommodating your need or help someone find that way I think itis helpful information not abuse.

AVP
07-20-2005, 07:55 PM
I disagree.

Would you tell this parent to rent a wheelchair for their child so the kid could avoid sunny lines? No. Well, at least I hope not.

Cheating the system is when you do not have a need and abuse it.

If you do not need a wheelchair, renting one - or using a stroller as one - IS abusing the system. Would you tell the parent of a blind child to do this? No, because people with vision loss need different accomodations. Would you tell the parent of a deaf child to do this? No, because the hearing-impaired need different accomodations.

This child needs a specific accomodation - a place to wait out of the sun. Nothing the OP said mentions the need for a wheelchair or a stroller - I assume she can walk just fine.

if Disney does not have a way to help her that is a fair alternative.
Until Disney provides the proper way of getting on a attraction (a time to come back) for guest like these then you have to make due with what you have.

Did you read my first post? Disney DOES have a way of dealing with it - in fact, WDW has a much-better defined policy and practice than does Disneyland.

What annoys me to no end is that Disney has gone to all this time and effort to create accomodations that meet quite a few common - and even a few uncommon - needs, and yet people still go for the "avoid the line" option.

(And, karliebug, as with all of these discussions that turn into debates, please do not take anything I am saying here as directed at you. You asked a perfectly legitimate question, and nobody is accusing you of ANYTHING. Now we're just going to debate the merits of the advice you've been given, and it really has nothing to do with you personally or the advice you've sought)

Toursbabe, I said "here is the policy that Disney has established for this very situation," and you came back with "and don't forget the wheelchair option!" FOR WHAT? If someone doesn't have a mobility issue, then WHY would you suggest a wheelchair?

There is nothing Disney can do to turn off the sun, and the child is probably going to be exposed to more sun during the walk from the car then they will waiting in all of the FastPass lines in the resort. WDW actually has a pretty decent policy on this particular issue, and I think the parent is going to find that it works - without cramming the kid into a wheelchair all day.

AVP

ToursbabeC3po
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
AVP can we agree to disagree on this one? I feel that if a stroller provides shade it is a good option. Sun allergies are not just sunburn the can be very serious and even cause a severe reaction where you tongue and throat swells. I do understand that this child can walk but I thought it may have been a good option for the child to be in a shaded stroller. I know people who use stroller for Autistic kids because it helps them feel more secure. These children can walk and it is used for other purposes then mobility issues. I agree Disney does a great job with helping each individual need but there are still some kinks in the system. Asking them to provide assistance for every single need is just impractical so when you have a situation where it is hard for them to accommodate you have to improvise. I presented this option to the parent because they asked for help. I am happy you told them you are not directing your frustration out on them because I don't want any member here to feel as if asking a question here or responding to one will cause conflict. I would hope that people can speak freely here without feeling like they have to defend themselves. Just like you give your opinion I give mine ;) I have never seen a sun stamp at Disneyland. Maybe they have this option at WDW. If they have this option now that is wonderful for those who need it. It must be something new with in the last few months. Even if they do have this stamp a stroller, may be of benefit. Maybe the child would be willing to carry a unbrella around the park all day but at 6 this is normally not something that is realistic. When you have a sun allergy Shade is your best friend along with long sleeve clothing, hats and sunblock (if there is no allergy to sunblock)
karliebug, I really hope you and your family have a wonderful time in the park. Don't be afraid to go to guest relations and ask for help. They may have something that can help you that is not mentioned in this thread. It is really a case by case bases. If for some reason you do not get the help you need at guest relations don't rule out talking to the cast members at the attraction. When I worked in attractions I would help and/or accommodate anyone that needed assistance. If you see a line in the sun ask if there is any way you can wait in the shade with your child. I just hope you can get a GAC so that you don't have to explain your situation every time you get to a ride.
toursbabe

TP2000
07-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Just have to throw this out there, and I honestly don't mean for it to sound as snarky as it will in this written format. But...

If I knew my child had an allergy to the sun, maybe a trip to The Sunshine State in the middle of summer would not be a wise thing to do? Could that be part of the solution here?

VickiC
07-21-2005, 06:23 AM
I agree. I would not take the child on this vacation.

karliebug
07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Just have to throw this out there, and I honestly don't mean for it to sound as snarky as it will in this written format. But...

If I knew my child had an allergy to the sun, maybe a trip to The Sunshine State in the middle of summer would not be a wise thing to do? Could that be part of the solution here?

Gee, I guess your right. I'll put her in a cave without any sunlight for the rest of her life. I stated that we just discovered this problem, and our plans have been made for over a year. No matter where we go in the USA in the summer there is sun and heat. I was just hoping for someway to accomodate her needs but let her have as normal as a childhood as possible.

stan4d_steph
07-21-2005, 07:33 AM
You might also look into the clothing that has sunblocking agents in the fabric. This could help for the times you are in the sun.

MammaSilva
07-21-2005, 07:43 AM
While my daughter isn't allergic to the sun/heat, the medications she has to take to help control her seizures makes her very sensitive and the heat/sun are a big problem for us. Here are a few things I do to try and keep her healthy and still have a life. The sun block is a gimme of course, but other things that help…splitting the day, getting there at rope drop then head back to the room during the worst of the heat of the day. If heading back isn’t an option, then I intentionally plot out every inside/air conditioned attraction…PoTC, HM, IASW, to keep her cooler…I have several battery operated mister fans to cool her with…we do the big hats, umbrella/shade things. Trying to schedule things in the cool of the evening for now till you find more ways to accommodate her needs is a short term solution that might work for your family since it's too late to reschedule your trip.

karliebug
07-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks mamasilva, that makes sense. We plan to take advantage of early morning hours and extra evening hours as well as take a rest/swim break every day. I have found those things to wear around your neck that keep you cool also.

Kelly Ann
07-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't have a sun allergy but I burn in about 90 seconds of sun exposure. I do a lot of outdoor activities like backpacking and cycling and have bought a few things from SunPrecautions (http://www.sunprecautions.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=_home.htm) that have really helped me. They have children's clothing, too. Not cheap, but it works. Hope your 6yo enjoys her time at WDW.

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree. I would not take the child on this vacation.

i wouldn't either. i would wait for a cooler less busy time or not go at all.

Hakuna Makarla
07-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi hon, I to have a sun alergy and know what you are going thru. :)
Some people do not understand you can not hide for life, but you do have to take precautions. this is what I do and do for my son . I put very light ( very light) long sleeved shirts on him and alsolonger shorts or pants ( the long shorts that are likeswim suit material very light and cool.
I also buy a big giant floppy hat for my boys, and for me if I know I am not going to do well I do not care what it looks like after all who cares what others think :) HAve fun, take precautions explain it to them you need to find ways out of the sun as much as possible and by all means come back and tell us how well you did. we tend to forget there is live even for the handicapped and others who can not other wise deal with out side. I will be praying for him that all is well and you will have a great time and no problems!!!
get the hat, the real light tee';s and go have your selves a ball :) **** Karla

VickiC
07-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Noone is saying to hide for life. They are saying that perhaps it would be better to go during a cooler time of year. I know changing vacation plans at the last minute is a hassle. I had to rework or reschedule almost everything we were planning for this summer.

Hakuna Makarla
07-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I know Vicki, but some times plans can not be changed. I am just saying that if she goes ( and she will ) that there is ways to be careful of the sun and still have a grand time :)

ToursbabeC3po
07-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi hon, I to have a sun alergy and know what you are going thru. :)
Some people do not understand you can not hide for life, but you do have to take precautions. this is what I do and do for my son . get the hat, the real light tee';s and go have your selves a ball :) **** Karla

Haluna makarla I just want to thank you and the others thar gave karliebug some great and useful information and advise for sun allergies. These are the types of responses that are helpful. It really bothers me that people here are telling you to cancel your trip and go later when it cools down becasue in southern california it is always sunny. A sun allergy is a life time condition that will require lifestyle changes . Although right now there is no cure for sun allergies there are was to manage it and staying home and not doing anything all summer is not practica advise. For those of you that pointed out the new products on the market for sun sensitive people that was a very nice thing to do. karliebug I think that you are doing a great job trying to get information for your daughter to make sure she is cared for properly for this trip.
I really hope you have a great time with your family and that the people that have a negitive attitude here do not make you feel that you need to cancel your trip. With the proper tools and information you should have no problem.
(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
toursbabe

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 08:35 PM
yes, it's always sunny...except when it rains or when it's winter and there's clouds out...and it's not always hot...as for not wanting to, or not willing to,,,or the unbelivable we can't change the plans...well thats fine...there are other precautions you can take other than a front of the line pass. I usually get more sun walking to the rides than waiting for them anyway....I believe the sysytem is abused and I'm glad they are cracking down on it. the last time I was there there wa a party of 11 and one in a wheel chair, but she was able to walk pretty well to the ride. a party of 11...come on!!!...oh I'm injured ...lets get a huge group together while I'm injured and take advantage of DL it will be fun...we won't have to wait inlines....but it's cool...what comes around goes around..:)...oh and on a side note...they were waiting in the sun....

MammaSilva
07-23-2005, 08:42 PM
yes, it's always sunny...except when it rains or when it's winter and there's clouds out...and it's not always hot...as for not wanting to, or not willing to,,,or the unbelivable we can't change the plans...well thats fine...there are other precautions you can take other than a front of the line pass. I usually get more sun walking to the rides than waiting for them anyway....I believe the sysytem is abused and I'm glad they are cracking down on it. the last time I was there there wa a party of 11 and one in a wheel chair, but she was able to walk pretty well to the ride. a party of 11...come on!!!...oh I'm injured ...lets get a huge group together while I'm injured and take advantage of DL it will be fun...we won't have to wait inlines....but it's cool...what comes around goes around..:)...oh and on a side note...they were waiting in the sun....

1st of all, a wheelchair won't get you FOTL ...nor will a GAC...often those lines are longer than the normal standby line.

2nd of all

Not everyone responding to this thread has bothered to read the OP...the family isn't planning to visit DisneyLAND they are WDW bound so that means a different situation for dealing with the issues. Disneyland doesn't offer a 'sun' accomodation while WDW seems to.

I hope the family finds a compromise to allow them to enjoy their vacation while doing what they can to accomodate the health issues of a six year old.

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I hope the family finds a compromise to allow them to enjoy their vacation while doing what they can to accomodate the health issues of a six year old.

I'm sure they will find a way to enjoy their vacation one way or the other.

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 08:48 PM
1st of all, a wheelchair won't get you FOTL ...nor will a GAC...often those lines are longer than the normal standby line.

I was writing about what i saw on my last trip their...thank god it's not a gurantee front of the line..people abuse the system enough.

MammaSilva
07-23-2005, 08:52 PM
They most assuredly do abuse the system! It's one of the things that frustrates the CM's and the guests that try to use the available accomodations without abusing them. The max group allowed with a guest using a wheelchair is six to include the person in the wheelchair so a group of 11 wouldnt' be accomodated under any circumstance unless a second person in the group was holding a GAC then they'd still be 'broken down' into two seperate groups. I will say that on our trip on the 15th I was amazed that on Pirates they were doing something 'new/unique' to any previous visits of mine, and that was they loaded an entire boat with people from the HCA line as opposed to one or two rows! It made the line go much faster than I'd ever experienced!

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 08:57 PM
They most assuredly do abuse the system! It's one of the things that frustrates the CM's and the guests that try to use the available accomodations without abusing them. The max group allowed with a guest using a wheelchair is six to include the person in the wheelchair so a group of 11 wouldnt' be accomodated under any circumstance unless a second person in the group was holding a GAC then they'd still be 'broken down' into two seperate groups
this was on BTMR..one wheel chair...the CM asked how many they said 11...he said to hold on...at that time our train came so we boarded...i ahve no idea how they loaded, but 11 people went up the exit and did not stand in the line.