PDA

View Full Version : Arnold's speech

Pages : [1] 2 3

mypupmickey
07-18-2005, 12:02 PM
What were your thoughts on what Arnold had to say?

It would've been fine if he'd said the motorcycle would be auctioned off with the money going to schools, but he got on a little political soap box talking about everything that had & would be done for schools. Somebody needed to tell him, contrary to what he apparently thought, that "It's NOT all about you!" UGH. :(

Fortunately that was the only low point in the ceremony.

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I didn't care for him at the ceremony either. It just didn't seem to fit in. Does he have a connection to Disney in some way?

Mark Mywords
07-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I didn't care for him at the ceremony either. It just didn't seem to fit in. Does he have a connection to Disney in some way?

I think he was there partially as another reference back to the original opening day ceremonies. Governor Goodwin Knight participated in the ceremony back in 1955.

sdfilmcritic
07-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I think he was there partially as another reference back to the original opening day ceremonies. Governor Goodwin Knight participated in the ceremony back in 1955.And don't forget about Ronald Reagan. He is an actor who went into politics just like Arnold did. Although Reagan's political career didn't start until many years after the grand opening ceremony I still find it as a link between the two guys.

blusilva
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
He was there because he's the Governor of California. I had no problem with that. However, I thought his speech was inappropriately political and that it was gauche of him to basically not accept the gift. He should have smiled, said "thank you" and then shut up. If he auctioned it later, fine. I'm surprised he didn't auction it off on the spot.

Mark Mywords
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
He was there because he's the Governor of California. I had no problem with that. However, I thought his speech was inappropriately political and that it was gauche of him to basically not accept the gift. He should have smiled, said "thank you" and then shut up. If he auctioned it later, fine. I'm surprised he didn't auction it off on the spot.

I would have been more impressed if I heard that he immediately grabbed the motorcycle and and made a death-defying jump through the daytime pyro display they had at the ceremony.

THAT would have been cool! ;)

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I guess I am still disapointed because I would have rather had Julie Andrews and Matt Ouimet speak instead.

sriggins
07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I would have preferred Matt too, but it was the birthday, I refused to let the little things get in the way. Acknowledging that DL is a force in Caleefornia's economy was cool.

Business, marketing and finances have been a part of DL since day one. That is good. Will mean DL is financially sound 50 years from now when I am 89 and just about to give up skiing.

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM

All politicians do regardless of party affiliation. Disney wants to keep good relations with any governor in order to get what they want. Walt Disney and one of the Irvine Heirs (Irvine Ranch) was key to getting Caltrans and the governor to get the I5 down to Orange County.

What's this about a gift? Did he accept it or not? It is my undertanding that politicians can accept gifts however they must turn them over to the state and it becomes property of the state/government. When I worked for the government, I was a lowly planner and I could not accept gifts over $5 and if I did, I had to turn it in to the Ethics office where it was donated to a specific cause.

tod
07-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Very inapproprately more concerned with the money that Disneyland brings into "Kallyfonya" and the "chobs" Disneyland generates than with the magic/joy/nostalgia that was the theme of the other speeches.

On the other hand, when they drove the motorcycle in and presented it, I turned to The Lovely Mrs. tod and whispered "The technical term for this is 'bribe'" so I was pleased to hear that he wasn't going to keep it but would auction it off for charity. Still pretty stinky, but more above-board than just forking over a shiny toy to curry favor with The Governator.

--t

nursemelis374
07-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I just don't like him. The main thing he has done that directly affects me is trying to eliminate the Board of Nursing! I also find in interesting that his speech was not focused on Disneyland.

phoenixfire2k5
07-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I was a big Arnold fan. Keyword: was. He always striked me as the hero type. Probably because of all his movies. When I heard that he was running for governor, I was only slightly excited, thinking he might do a good job. But I really didn't want him to run for it because I knew that his reputation would be tarnished by all the politics. And his popularity has really declined. Its kinda sad, really.

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
This is off topic but I loved the video of Ronald Reagan's speech. The best part was, "Walt never tried to move mountain, he built his own." Or something like that.

phoenixfire2k5
07-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I miss both of those men.

tod
07-18-2005, 02:01 PM
This is off topic but I loved the video of Ronald Reagan's speech. The best part was, "Walt never tried to move mountain, he built his own." Or something like that.

That was impressive, but Art Linkletter's response to somebody saying "Too bad Walt isn't around to see this" is one for the history books.

Linkletter's response:

He did see it. That's why it's here.

Linkletter's in his 90s and the guy hasn't lost a step.

--t

Disneyfun
07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I liked both quotes above from Art Linkletter and From Rondald Regan.

I did not like Arnolds Speech. I will accept he was there as our govenor. But that is as far as I go. I support nursemelis374 and any other nurses, firemen, policemen and of corse fellow teachers!

I am extreamly distrubed by the gift. I also thought of it as a bribe. I was not as quite as Mr. Todd sorry to anyof you with videos if you heard me (BLush) BUt I could not hold my tonge.

I became even more distrubed by the gift with they gave Diane Disney MIller her gift. I felt it was a slap in the Face to the family. Sure sentimental But Some how I do not believe the family does not already have one of thoses pictures. And to me it was like giving some one a penny gum ball and the other a 7 course meal. NO I am not happy about this.

SoCalDisneyLover
07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I promise not to post anything political in this topic.

Does Mr. S. need to begin Every speech he gives with the little story about he came to the U.S. from Austria? I picked up on that right away.

There was no substance in what he had to say. His appearance there was merely PR, both for him and for Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if his staff encouraged him to appear, given that his ratings are floundering in CA right now, and appearing at the celebration could do nothing but make him look good. Disney on the other hand, wanted someone current and famous(Linkletter unfortunately doesn't count), to make some comments at the ceremony.

I appreciate seeing Walt's daughter speak, although she appeared uncomfortable and nervous....but I could easily have done without Arnie, Iger or Eisner.

And where was Julie Andrews? Wasn't she supposed to sing, or did I miss that?

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Linkletter's in his 90s and the guy hasn't lost a step.

--t
I said the same thing yesterday. 93 and still going.

tod
07-18-2005, 03:38 PM
And where was Julie Andrews? Wasn't she supposed to sing, or did I miss that?

Julie Andrews has been unable to sing since 1997, because of scars left on her vocal cords when she had some nodes surgically removed.

Here's a 2002 article about trying to regain her voice: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/vocalcords-0717.html

If she had been planning to sing yesterday, we would have heard about it.

--t

Opus1guy
07-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Julie Andrews "appearance" was reported in several AP newswire stories that came out early yesterday. They were probably just cut and pasting some pre-release Press Release. Oopsy!

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 06:44 PM
So he was originally suppose to come? Is everything alright with her?

Lani
07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
I think he was there because he is the governor of California. I didn't think it was particularly appropriate for him to bring up his after-school program or even for Disney to donate the bike... it seemed oddly out of step with the rest of the program.

That said, I was... disappointed in the way some of the people in the audience behaved during the governor's speech. One woman standing right behind me booed REALLY loudly (right into my ear) when they introduced him, then continued to hiss and sigh loudly throughout the speech. In addition, there were some others around the area who thought it appropriate to crack loud jokes and talk rather audibly -- and it wasn't too difficult to tell they were sniggering about the governor. After all, this was still part of the official program for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland -- a magical moment that will only happen once in most of our lifetimes. People traveled from all over the world to be there, and it makes people look petty that they can't bite their lip for just five minutes. But then, I am also known (much to the embarrassment of Alex) to lean over and tell people to be quiet if they start chattering at the movies.

Disney Vault
07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Did anyone boo when Eisner was announced this time?

adriennek
07-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I thought an appearance by the governor was a nice touch. I was actually pleased that Eisner wasn't boo'd. It seemed to me to be an indication that hey, we're going to not mess with this awesome day! Then I was with Lani when that woman started Booing Arnold. Not. Cool.

I was disappointed by his speech. My comment was: Maria did NOT approve that speech. I thought the motorcycle was tacky. I'm glad he'll sell it and donate the $$ to charity but I thought it detracted from the true reason for the celebration and because it detracted from the gift given to Diane Disney-Miller. Not only that, but Arnold got the motorcycle, Diane got a picture, and Art got.... ??? oh, nothing.

I was disappointed. It was probably my only disappointment of the day, though :)

Adrienne

mckygirl99
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Being a teacher, Arnold's appearance was the only disappointment on an otherwise perfect day!