PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Trip Report with Pictures or Where is everybody?

nursemelis374
07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
My day began with the alarm going off at 5:55 am. I lept out of bed, excited and ready fro the 50th. I had finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the previous night, so I was ready for the weekend to be complete by celebrating Disneyland’s 50th. The phone rang at about 6:15, it was Mukta, stating that she was already there and it was crazy. I began to panic, what if we didn’t get in? Shelley (blueckels) arrived at my house promptly at 6:20 and after a stop at McDonald’s we were on our way. We easily got into the parking structure and were on the tram at 7:30. We got in a rapidly moving line that stopped just before we hit the Jazz Kitchen. There we stopped until about 8:10. We got through the security check and were in the parks in no time.

I can’t really explain the feeling. It was very exciting! I almost wanted to cry when we got our ears because I am such a sap! We couldn’t believe the crowd already waiting for the presentation. We made a quick stop in the Emporium and got magnets, antenna toppers and a shirt for me and then headed with everyone else to Space Mountain to get FastPasses. On the way we ran into some MP mods, who graciously gave us bobby pins so we could wear our ears. At about 9:05 at Space, the wait was 40 minutes and the return time was for 1:25. The line for Buzz was only 20 minutes, so we grabbed a cupcake and got in line. The cupcakes were delicious and we got ours by just waling up to the place and asking for one! So far the day was great! We rode Buzz and then decided to take the train to New Orleans Square.

The train (not he Ward Kimball to Shelley’s dismay) stopped in the Grand Canyon area, but we were soon in New Orleans Square. I thought there was going to be a screen to watch the 10 am festivities, but there wasn’t one. There was, however, a gigantic line to get the special merchandise!! I heard it was 3 plus hours!!! Yikes. We headed towards the hum, but it was too crowded. We decided to not watch the show and instead went on Haunted Mansion. We walked on and then got off and saw a 25 minute wait for Splash! No way! This was at 11 o’clock! We went on Splash and then got FP for Indy (standby was only 40 minutes) and walked on Jungle Cruise and then the Tiki Room. I was continuously amazed at how not crowded it was. I mean, it was for sure more crowded, but not bad at all. I was preparing for horrible crowds, but I think I have seen worse! We then went to the Disney Gallery to look around and both bought the Shag coaster sets. Apparently, everyone was excited because they found 5 of some CD. Anyone know about this? People grabbed them in a flash. I put mine back as I was clueless as to what it was. The CM told us it was the top seller.

We then headed to Blue Bayou for lunch. People were waiting in line 3 hours to eat there. I think they are crazy! The cool thing was they were going down the line and asking trivia and giving prizes to make the wait seem shorter. After a delicious lunch, it was our return time for Space.

I believe the wait for Space Mountain said 105 minutes, so we were glad we had our FPs! It was great to ride this again. The disabled loading is ingenious and the ride is great. It is really dark and you have no idea where you are going! I loved it!

We were boiling and getting tired so we rode It’s a Small World and headed to the meet. We were there for a little while and spoke with a few people. We left the park around 4.

We had a great time. I am so glad we went and I will never forget it. I am very surprised there weren’t more people there. I think a lot of people left after the 10 am ceremony. They must have been exhausted. By 4, there were people sleeping everywhere. I actually feel kind of bad for all the people who waited all night. We didn’t get there until 7:30 and experienced everything we wanted to. I hope it was worth it for them and I am sure the experience was!

Happy Birthday Disneyland!!! Here’s to another 50 years of glory! I hope to see you then! Thanks Walt!!!

50th Pictures (http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1&Uc=qxdct2q.49z7y30y&Uy=-muy4rc&Ux=1)

AZDisneyDan
07-17-2005, 09:17 PM
awesome report, felt like I was there.....great pictures...most of been something special!!!!!

disney jones
07-17-2005, 10:03 PM
nice report - you write the funniest captions! :D

I Heart Disneyland!
07-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Awesome report, Mel! Thanks so much for sharing your special day with us. Did they sell new merchandise today??? I must have new stuff!! My best friend is going there tomorrow, and I will have her get it for me!

LOVED the photos too Melissa!!! Very, very cute of you and Blueckles!!!

coronado_g
07-17-2005, 10:18 PM
What a wonderful report! Thank you for taking the time to write all the extra details and for sharing your pics. Gee - I'm in DL heaven with all the pics being posted here today. Yahoo!! Yippee!

nursemelis374
07-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Awesome report, Mel! Thanks so much for sharing your special day with us. Did they sell new merchandise today??? I must have new stuff!! My best friend is going there tomorrow, and I will have her get it for me!

I heard from a CM that they were going to have some of the leftover stuff on sale today.

disneymania
07-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the pictures. They were great. If only I lived closer than 8 hrs away, I so would have been there.

Crazy4DL
07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Thank You Melissa!!!! :D

RedGoat
07-18-2005, 08:09 AM
I took about 450-500 photos yesterday. When I get done resizing and sorting through the bad ones, I will begin posting them.

Earkid
07-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your day. Loved it and the pics!

Vegitabeta
07-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Lovely pics, thank you! I really wish I could have been there, would of loved to meet some of the people from Mousepad. I liked the pics of the crowd, where most of them are wearing their golden mouse ears, it looks funny :p

nursemelis374
07-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it was weird to see sooooooooo many people wearing them! I usually don't like wearing hats, but I felt compelled to this day!

RedGoat
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I took about 450-500 photos yesterday. When I get done resizing and sorting through the bad ones, I will begin posting them.

As promised here's the pics. They aren't anything great and they aren't in order at all (maybe i'll fix it when i get more time). Kind of gives you the idea of how things went yesterday. I would have taken more, but you can only do so much while pushing a wheel chair and rushing to the pin line. :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/b59/CandC540/7-17-05/

Hakuna Makarla
07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Nurse!! I loved the report and the pic's :)

blueckles
07-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, girl!;) We DID have fun and I'm glad I got to experience it with you. BFF! Though, my day may have been a tad better if ONLY I had gotten to ride the Ward Kimball! :p

sriggins
07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Awesome pics and report! Sorry I didn't get to meet ya'll!

Steve

P.S. I am going back out Tuesday early evening if anyone else is headed that way

nursemelis374
07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Awesome pics and report! Sorry I didn't get to meet ya'll!

Steve

P.S. I am going back out Tuesday early evening if anyone else is headed that way

I think we saw you at the meet, but we were so tired and out of it, that we really didn't stay too long. Loved your pics and info by the way!

Earkid
07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
I love the Stitch going home pic, LOL. :D

sriggins
07-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I think we saw you at the meet, but we were so tired and out of it, that we really didn't stay too long. Loved your pics and info by the way!

I was tired but not so tired that I wandered over to the meet without knowing it, did I? LOL

No, I was not there, I was on the vmk tour at the time.

Glad you enjoyed the info!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds like the people were not riding rides and doing other things. Great wait times.
Thanks for the photos too! It is nice to put a name to a face.

BQ2
07-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for that great report!

BQ2 or Bill

Opus1guy
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Sounds like the people were not riding rides and doing other things. Great wait times.

That's pretty much what I observed and was told to me by one of the Disneyland managers, which I reported yesterday in the "50th Coverage Reminder" (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=44894) thread:

Park seems more crowded than the current in-park numbers I was told, because he said that most of the Guests aren't going on a lot of rides. They're just enjoying being here and walking about and watching the events and such. So there's not a whole lot of "population" being sucked up by the attractions. That's sounds about right from what I'm seeing (although Space Mountain is probably a zoo...didn't go over there).