PDA

View Full Version : My Apologies & My Take on the 50th "Sleepover"

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 08:32 PM
First of all, I had stated that I was going to appear at the MP's 5th b-day over at the Hungry Bear today. I was there at Dland this morning, but I ultimately decided not to go to the party because I was exhausted and sore after ONE LONG NIGHT!! Had it been scheduled earlier in the day, I might have made an appearance. But I left even before the festivities began at 10 am. My feet and legs were sore from being up all night. I was not yet falling asleep, but I just felt that I could no longer stay. But at least, I was there. So again, though as probably no significance as it is, my apologies for not being able to stay long enough to make it.

Okie dokie, here we go. I had gotten there about 3pm on Saturday. I spent most of Saturday doing rides in both parks. I checked out the new Turtle Talk with Crush over in Animation, and it is pretty cool. Obviously, the interaction will be different with every show. I think that whoever is doing the voice of Crush & Dory, can see the audience and what they are wearing. Space had already run out of fastpasses by this time, but no big deal because I had felt that at the time, I would go on it this morning. By the time I left at about 9:45 am, it was a 2 hour wait, and the FP wait was around 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm. I saw the fireworks Saturday night in the park and immediately went out to the Esplanade to try to find a line for the 2am opening.

Now here is my beef, and I found out that I wasn't alone that shared in this. Now I don't know if it was done purposely by CMs to keep guests guessing, but there seemed to be NO COMMUNICATION between CMs and guests as to what was going to be done for this early opening and the guests wanting to camp out. Myself and many others were hearing WAY TOO MANY different stories as to what was being done. Highly disorganized. Like I said, if it was to dispell rumors or word getting around to fast, then it was understandable. But if it wasn't, then it was incompetance, and they need to get their act together. But it was just way too disorganized. But once they got the ball going, it was fine from there. I heard from one "suit" that guests can line up or gather near the lockers by the entrance to Dland. And another told me that they will be by the east shuttle area. One thing from both of them, guests will have to pass through bag check. The second, was the one that was eventually proven true. But I still couldn't see a line. I went back into the park for a short while then went to sit just inside the east bagcheck to read the new HP book. Another couple came by and I overhead them discussing the same thing, so I told them all I knew, and they waited out nearby. After a while, I had this feeling, so I gotten up and walked out past the bagcheck, and then I discovered the line. Immediately I grabbed my stuff and alerted the other couple who joined me in a line of about at least 50 people, who had been lining up since the afternoon and was backing up to the Lion King tram waiting area. No sooner did I get in line right behind a few mouse padders, did they move the line along side the rim of the DCA park in the east shuttle area. Throughout the next few hours, that line grew and grew. Snaking around the shuttle area, with the end at one point near the CM gate, and another by the kennels. Friendships were born early this morning. Video cameras recorded numerous amounts of people sleeping on the grounds on blankets, air mattresses, sleeping bags, and comforters. Waving to the "suckers" on the trams going by. JK :p

As I said, friendships were born this morning. There was a little group that I was a part of, and there were a lot of laughs. Ones that were in front of me, three brothers, a sister and a friend of theirs that were from vegas, were ones that I basically hung out with up until after opening this morning. When the line wound back up to where we were, another family of 9 from the state of Washington were parked alongside us, and their oldest daughter joined us after this point. At about 1:30, they were grouping people at about a hundred, and moving them through bag check and queing them around the ticket booth que area before letting them into the park. Once we were on the move, it was peaceful passing through the Esplanade with absolutely no music going. Entrance into the park rewarded us with special maps of the parks that included a detailed map of the park back on July 17th 1955. Also we were given special golden Mickey ears with the July 17, 2005 sewn into the back along with colored wristbands. Orange was the first, which was ours, followed by many other colors and patterns to distinguish the groups. And as I had originally thought and stated in the previous threads, they ran a que along the park and the parade route. Going from the entrance, snaking all along the Hollywood Backlot, across the sun plaza and up the parade route, taking a left into Paradise Pier, all along the boardwalk and back to the parade route and a left at Golden Dreams going around GRR and finally ending near Soarin. They were still letting people in the park near daybreak. We were camped out in HBL, right outside the shop near award weiners and across from the playhouse theater. I didn't sleep a wink throughout the campout. It was nice being in the park and walking around with no music, after "closing". One thing we kept joking about, was things you'd say in one of those "quiet moments" or in a dark, quiet part of a ride. To where everyone can hear you, for laughs. LOL! (that should be a new thread) Aside from a few people cutting in line (they were caught) and the ones that complained about it (like, big deal), it was a relatively good morning. For those waiting for early entry, we were treated to a brief fireworks display this morning, because of the castmember and celebrity ceremony they had before opening. Overcast, we were let into Dland around 7am, among filming video cameras and flashing pictures, were sheeped into the park. Then everyone went into a mass herd over to the Festival Arena behind BTMR for the 50th merchandise sale. A long line for that of course. I don't think most of us were concerned with trying to get on rides. But if there were anyone wanting to go on rides, I don't think there were anything open. BTMR was running test cycles at this time. After going through the 90 minute plus line (there were four of em) for the merchandise such as pins and tshirts, the brothers and sister that I was with, along with the other girl, their seperate families arrived, and our little group had to part ways. I walked to look at Space, but as I began, it was crowded and I was very sore. So I exited after that. All in all though, at least I was there. For all of those that did stay there, I commend you for sticking it out and surviving. (I was up for 48 hours with no sleep!! Couldn't sleep Friday night. Otherwise, I would've stayed.) But again, I am sorry I missed out on the MP party. I hope everyone had fun as I'm sure everyone did. Just like Christmas, the day has come and gone. Time for another 50 years. Quick question now that I think about it and that I can hear the fireworks going off in the distance. (Its 9:30 pm right now), was there a special or extended fireworks display tonight because of the 50th? If so, then oh well, I missed out. Alllllllrighty then peeps, I'm out.

coronado_g
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Good post. Thanks for the great report. Don't feel bad about not making it all the way. Geez, you were up for a LONG time & made it like a true DL trooper!

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Good post. Thanks for the great report. Don't feel bad about not making it all the way. Geez, you were up for a LONG time & made it like a true DL trooper!

Thanks. :p ;)

Yeah, I was home at about 11am this morning, and I slept till 4. And yet I am still going to get some good sleep tonight.

FlowerGirl
07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
First of all, I had stated that I was going to appear at the MP's 5th b-day over at the Hungry Bear today. I was there at Dland this morning, but I ultimately decided not to go to the party because I was exhausted and sore after ONE LONG NIGHT!! ....

Superb Trip Report! Thank-you so much for sharing. I hope you get a nice night of sleep after all that. :-)

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Superb Trip Report! Thank-you so much for sharing. I hope you get a nice night of sleep after all that. :-)

Thanks. <blushes> :) :p

One thing I would like to add. It was nice to see CMs smiling and welcoming guests into the park as we were walking in. I am sure there were a few lucky CMs that were off duty and in the line. But to be greeted by those that had to work, see their smiles, just like 50 years ago to the day, was really something. Today, guests and cast members alike, were one! Disney fans and enthusiasts celebrating this historic milestone. What a feeling to have, to know that we were walking along the same ground that Art Linkletter, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, Ronald Reagan, and the man himself, Walt Disney walked along 50 years to the day!!! Again, we were one. One big extended family. Happy birthday people. Happy birthday fans. Happy birthday Disneyland. Welcome home. :)

SoCalDisneyLover
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Quick question now that I think about it and that I can hear the fireworks going off in the distance. (Its 9:30 pm right now), was there a special or extended fireworks display tonight because of the 50th? If so, then oh well, I missed out. Alllllllrighty then peeps, I'm out.

No, it was the same display. They made a brief announcement following the fireworks, which basically thanked everyone for sharing in the celebration, but the fireworks was the same show as far as I know.

I Heart Disneyland!
07-17-2005, 10:46 PM
The day we entered the gates on May 5th, the day of the kick off of the 50th, our cute little CM said to us, "Welcome Home" and it was so sweet! I loved it!!!! :D

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 10:48 PM
No, it was the same display. They made a brief announcement following the fireworks, which basically thanked everyone for sharing in the celebration, but the fireworks was the same show as far as I know.

Ah, ok. Then I didn't miss out. Whew! I just found out on the local news that I missed out on the governor. And the ceremony looked pretty good. This time, CMs were out there with characters, unlike on the 5th.

tom522
07-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Matt Quimet was at the park in the morning to shake the hands of the main gate staff and thank them for being there. He also gave them a pep talk and told them to welcome the guests home. Paul Pressler NEVER would have taken the time to thank the cast for anything. MATT ROCKS!

Opus1guy
07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Matt Quimet was at the park in the morning to shake the hands of the main gate staff and thank them for being there. He also gave them a pep talk and told them to welcome the guests home. Paul Pressler NEVER would have taken the time to thank the cast for anything. MATT ROCKS!

Yeah Matt! :)

But just a FYI of historical reference if you weren't aware of it:

The Cast Members lining up on both sides of Main Street saying "Welcome Home"...was done on Disneyland's 25th Anniversary. The 25th Anniversary's tag line was "Family Reunion."

That wasn't during Paul's tenure, but just thought you'd like to know that it wasn't really an original idea for the 50th. Someone probably thought, "That was nice and went over well back then...let's have an encore."

They might even have done it on the 35th too, if I recall. But not 100% sure of that one.

Niwel
07-18-2005, 08:47 AM
The day we entered the gates on May 5th, the day of the kick off of the 50th, our cute little CM said to us, "Welcome Home" and it was so sweet! I loved it!!!! :D

My eyes started tearing up as soon as I walked in the gate to head down main street (about 7:20ish a.m.) As soon as one CM said "welcome home" I lost it. :)

sriggins
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
We were still on the VMK tour so could not make the party. Am bummed about that, would have been nice to meet you all!

Steve