PDA

View Full Version : Your 50th Experience (please share your likes and dislikes)

Pages : [1] 2 3

avalosn
07-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey, guys, let's all share our 50th experiuences with each other. I showed up with my sister and her boyfriend at 10pm to wait in line by the bag check. We were about 25 people back and they redirected us to the side baracade where we waited in line. It went okay until a group of people in front of us let about 40 of their friends in line with them. Many people tried complaining to cast members, but they really didn't do much about this (dislike). Really, though, I think they were more concerned about the OVERALL crowd control, as opposed to who cut in front of who. Anyways, once inside DCA, we got our orange wristband and it wasn't so bad and at least we were able to go get refreshments (like!!!). I met a lot of really friendly people and everyone for the most part was pretty much in good spirits, for being awake all night. Being about the 85th person in line now (thanks to the people who brought their mob of friends in at the last minute), I was pretty happy with the way they brought us into DL because I was worried about a stampede of people to the Festival area, but they did an alright job of keeping the mob under control (like). All of the cast memeber were so happy to see us and they seemed willing to help out as much as possible (like!). The Festival area was pretty crazy and once you were in, the merchandise line seemed to take FOREVER! I really feel for those who were towards the end of the line! It was very cool to see the park lines pretty empty before 10am, allowing for easy access to the rides (since everyone was either in the Festival line or waiting for the opening ceremony). We got our cupcakes and were out of there by 10am! After being awake all night, I could barely walk anymore and I was ready for a nice nap! Overall, I think the experience was a once in a lifetime and I am happy that I went. I'll definitely be at the 75th and 100th, for sure!

coronado_g
07-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Great report! Thank you for sharing with us who were there in spirit - but not in the flesh!

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey, guys, let's all share our 50th experiuences with each other. I showed up with my sister and her boyfriend at 10pm to wait in line by the bag check. We were about 25 people back and they redirected us to the side baracade where we waited in line. It went okay until a group of people in front of us let about 40 of their friends in line with them. Many people tried complaining to cast members, but they really didn't do much about this (dislike). Really, though, I think they were more concerned about the OVERALL crowd control, as opposed to who cut in front of who. Anyways, once inside DCA, we got our orange wristband and it wasn't so bad and at least we were able to go get refreshments (like!!!). I met a lot of really friendly people and everyone for the most part was pretty much in good spirits, for being awake all night. Being about the 85th person in line now (thanks to the people who brought their mob of friends in at the last minute), I was pretty happy with the way they brought us into DL because I was worried about a stampede of people to the Festival area, but they did an alright job of keeping the mob under control (like). All of the cast memeber were so happy to see us and they seemed willing to help out as much as possible (like!). The Festival area was pretty crazy and once you were in, the merchandise line seemed to take FOREVER! I really feel for those who were towards the end of the line! It was very cool to see the park lines pretty empty before 10am, allowing for easy access to the rides (since everyone was either in the Festival line or waiting for the opening ceremony). We got our cupcakes and were out of there by 10am! After being awake all night, I could barely walk anymore and I was ready for a nice nap! Overall, I think the experience was a once in a lifetime and I am happy that I went. I'll definitely be at the 75th and 100th, for sure!

Good report. For those that weren't in line for the Festival arena, were getting faspasses for Space Mountain and other rides. Also, I wonder if it is possible that the quanity of fastpasses for Space for each hour or timeframe were pretty low? They seemed to run out pretty quick in the very short amount of time they were open. They opened at 8, and by the time I got to SM at 9:45, the time was already at around 2:30 pm.

sunfun94
07-17-2005, 08:54 PM
lol.. that attraction has been closed for almost 2 years... this surprises you that the FP's were almost gone?? :fez:

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 08:58 PM
lol.. that attraction has been closed for almost 2 years... this surprises you that the FP's were almost gone?? :fez:

Nope, not surprised. Just wondering on the quanity of them. Running out a bit fast, aren't they? With the amount of time passed and the amount of people that were in the park (most in line for view or merchandise) the math doesn't make sense. That is, if you think of the USUAL amount of FPs.

FlowerGirl
07-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Great trip report! I wasn't in line at DCA, so thanks for sharing how it was in there and at the Festival Line. :-)

mckygirl99
07-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I was spent most of my time (5 hrs) at the merchandise event and missed the ceremony. Does anyone have video of the event that they could share, even if it is video of the jumbo screens? I thought for sure they would have audio feed throughout the park but didn't. Thanks!

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I was spent most of my time (5 hrs) at the merchandise event and missed the ceremony. Does anyone have video of the event that they could share, even if it is video of the jumbo screens? I thought for sure they would have audio feed throughout the park but didn't. Thanks!

There was a jumbotron over in the FA. They learned from the May 5th celebration. This time, they accomodated those who couldn't see and weren't close to the stage. Put tvs around in different areas of the park.

PartridgeFam 2004
07-17-2005, 09:25 PM
The whole day was great. That was cool as you finally made it down Mainstreet and all the CM waving at you. I felt like a celeb. The pin line was a bit much I mean over 4 hours. My only complaint was parking in Pumbaa. The fact of the walk to the park and the walk back. The other lucky people get to take trams. They should charge less to park in Pumbaa. On the good side again the ears were nice and the cupcakes were good. The CMs sure tried to push them on you. Maybe they had to take home the leftovers :)

ILoveChurros
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I wasn't able to see the ceremony, I got to DL at around 2PM thinking that I wouldn't even get in. But my friend and I have Premium APs so we could go back anytime. Well we got to the park, did the bag check, and headed towards the gates. Much to are suprise they were still handing the Golden Mickey Ears out! We were so happy! So we got in the park and just walked around looking at all the happy people and the jumbo trons, we then headed to Fantasyland to just look around and we saw all the characters from Cinderella, even the Stepmother whom I had never seen! Then we decided it was time for us to go on Jungle Cruise, a ride I had not been on since the refurb. It was fun, I liked the new pirranhas, they scared me a bit though. Then we went to Autopia, a 10 minute wait, yea! We wanted the golden car but instead we got the poo-colored brown car, but it was funny. We didn't have much energy to wait in long lines so we went to DTD and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, very good movie btw, then we went to DCA, walked some bit and went home. NOt alot happened but at least I can say I was there and I got my cool gifts.

mckygirl99
07-17-2005, 09:29 PM
There was a jumbotron over in the FA. They learned from the May 5th celebration. This time, they accomodated those who couldn't see and weren't close to the stage. Put tvs around in different areas of the park.

I know about the FA screens. We had hoped to be inside by then but really had no idea how long that line really was. The guy behind me started telling people it was the line for SM (LOL) as a joke but it wasn't too far off!

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 09:31 PM
The guy behind me started telling people it was the line for SM (LOL) as a joke but it wasn't too far off!

Probably got that from me. That was what I was telling the people on the LK trams last night as they passed those that were in line. :p

mckygirl99
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Probably got that from me. That was what I was telling the people on the LK trams last night as they passed those that were in line. :p

Wow, the things we come up with after hours and hours of standing in line. Today will go down in history as the most and longest lines stood in at the DLR (well at least by me) :)

phoenixfire2k5
07-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, the things we come up with after hours and hours of standing in line. Today will go down in history as the most and longest lines stood in at the DLR (well at least by me) :)

People kept saying it should be a Guiness record. And that wasn't because I was standing in a long line. I'm just a funny guy and a smart alec. :p

millionairegirl
07-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Being in DCA with 10,000 of my closest 'friends'
Food and bathrooms open
Being ushered into DL and walking down Main Street with all the CM's and characters waving to us (sniff!)
Cupcakes!
WALKING on tons of rides while everybody else was waiting to get in or was in the Festival area
The mood of the day

Dislikes
The fact the line was totally confusing inside DCA
There was no Jumbo Tron on the RoA
The heat
Trying to explain to my husband why people would wait in line for 5 hours for merchandise

disneyfn
07-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Like: ears are great also the map,the crowds lining up were pretty good,DCA at 3am, Art Linkletter,Diane Disney

Dislikes: The Pummba parking, the heat,The ceremony,where were the Mousekateers,Roy Disney,Animators,Marty Skalar,Matt Ouemet,Fess Parker? Food lines.

Jwebbal
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Dislikes

The rumor mill in the LE merchandise line

The guy going down the line showing his LE pin, telling people they probably wouldn't get one

Almost passing out in the merchandise tent, my water ran out long ago (not enough water vendors in the line, I was by myself and couldn't leave, my kid insisted on being out of his stroller, and then promptly fell asleep in his sling) and it was so hot, not enough shade and I never got to go by the fog machines as I was put up further in the pin only line.

the long walk back to Pumba parking lot, by myself, before the fireworks, walking that long walkway by MYSELF, there was not another soul around, my kid asleep, me wondering what I would do if some guy came out suddenly, then when almost reaching the lot, a guy in a dark hooded sweatshirt comes out from the lot and loiters near the map, looking like he was trying to look like he was looking at it? Scared me to death. NO idea what to do, cell phone will only bring someone AFTER it happens, NOT another soul around at ALL! I stop, wait to see what he is going to do, and to try and figure out a game plan. But fact was there wasnt a thing I could have done if he meant me harm. I think he realizes he is scaring me, takes off his hood and then starts walking towards me. I hope for the best. which it ends up being fine, no incident. I get to the lot, again NO ONE, no security, no attendants, no one else around. after getting all the way to my car at the far end of the lot, I finally see a security guard coming into the lot. I flag him down and tell him my story. there really should be someone in that lot, there should be someone on that walkway, and some way to reach someone quickly (like in the M&F lot, where I had wanted to park, but they changed their mind on the opening time, so I had no choice, they should have at least told me when that lot would open so I could MAKE a choice).

Likes-
how quick the line went for the security check at 5 in the morning, even though the line was VERY long.

seeing the truly dedicated waiting right by the gate inside DCA, with their blankets, books and tired faces.

the VERY warm welcome home from all the CM's lined up for that special walk into Disneyland, their smiling faces, their warm and welcoming attitudes
walking past ALL those lined up in the Esplanade, felt special, worth getting up at 2:45 am with my sleepy 21 month old and driving 40 minutes.

the long line of Emporium clerks lined up along main st, giving an extra special welcome to me and my kid so early in the morning.

how special the park looked that morning

the opening ceremony, the speech by Art, and the sea of gold ears on Main st.

the happy people so glad to take part on this special day

watching my kid dance to music in New Orleans Square

watching the new train engine go by overhead while waiting in line by Splash Mountain, sure looked special

the lovely CM who gave my kid an autopia car, after his last one got snitched weeks ago (after attempting to buy him another)

getting the vouchers for the LE pins, after debating leaving that line several times, after many people around me left after hearing rumors the vouchers had all been given out, and waiting a hour and half in line, while watching rides go unridden!

watching my kid kiss his LE pin (he loves Mickey, and honestly I stood in that line for HIM, not me, I am not a pin collector!), after waking up from his nap from being in the merchandise line, after wondering whether it was all worth almost passing out from heat exhaustion. It made that LONG, HOT, line worth it.

a truly special day for me, but especially my son, who may not remember it in the future, but will have his stuff from that day so that he can say he was there, 25, 50, and maybe even 100 years from now! can you imagine? My kid could possibly be there for the 150th celebration of Disneyland? How amazing to think how much it might change or still be the same 100 years from now?

Doug
07-18-2005, 11:31 AM
I really did not like getting up at 3am, so we could leave by 4am, so we could TRY to get to DLR by 5am wich we could not ... did not really know where the pumbaa lot was, went into the M&F lot, not too many cars lined up, and it looked like cars where being let in, but then come to find out we have to wait until 6am to get in, oh well, it was almost 5:30a, and we figured we did not have time to find the Pumbaa lot, and walk into DCA by 6am, we ended up on the 3rd floor! So, they MUST have let people in before us! ... so the tram drops us off and what do we see, a BIG long line going into DTD, ok, we start walking... and the line almost made it to the monorail station, I leave my friend, and go see how long the monorail line is, and it was pretty short, maybe 200 people, so I tell my friend to come on over, they said we probably would not be able to get anywhere until 8a-8:30a, but we waited, we actually did not get onto the monorail until about 8:30a, dropped off in Tomorow land at about 8:45a, and there was a sea of people in the hub! I wanted the "I was here july 17,05" pin, so we went to find the festival area, then noticed the long line, and asked what it was for! GASP! The pins! I said, ok, let's just get a Splash FP, went to go get the FP for Splash, and the line continued down to poor, and curved back around head for new orleans sqaure! Walked over to the hub, to try to get a spot to watch the ceramonies, they said "no space here, only at the flag pole!", I was like WHAT?! I figured we could not see anything at the flag pole, as we would be too far from the castle, I did not learn until we left, that they had a jumbo tron in Tomorrow land (picked up a Space FP then, could not believe it was for 5:10p), which I had to fight for a space to see, without trees in the way (why didn't they remove those planters? Those trees do not provide shade anyways), so I watched, and was very disappointed I had to watch on a tv, rather that being in front of the castle (someone tell me it was not that big of a deal to be in front of the castle, as this is the most depressing part of the day).... We would see the fireworks go off on the tv, then look over towards the castle, and see the fireworks, and hear them, same with the doves (they replayed this all later in the day, and let the doves go again, which I was surprised to see).... I was so tired, and it was so hot, did allot of sitting down in doors, oh, a plus was that I discovered the Plaza Inn's breakfast! Never been there for breakfast, about $10 per person, and all you can eat (or, as they say there "all you care to eat"), I was so full... we sat for a while... haha... ended up going on splash mtn 2x that day, I think the longest we waited was 15 minutes .... space mtn took about as long to get on with the FP, only rode once.... man, I wish I could of been in front of the castle :( ..... why the hell did they let anyone get there early? That should not be allowed, NO ONE should be able to get there earlier, than, say 6am.... ridiculous.... and they should of let people use the M&F parking! Is it that hard to let people park in M&F?

Oh well, I can say I was there, and I have my mickey hears to prove it! Which will certainly stay at home, as I would not want to loose them! Now, if I can just get one of those aniversary pins, so I can wear it to the park every time I go.... and if I can get one of those Tinkerbell AP's ;)

Oh well, it was nice just jumping on rides... could not believe Indie was like 5 mines for a while (used FP later in the day, and was on in like 15 minutes.... oh, and Indie has a new 'feature', in the domed room part of the que, there is a creaking nose that seems to come from the roof, freaked me out!).

I should of had someone go ahead, 1st thing for me, so I could catch up later... oh well, maybe for the 75th? Probably will not live to see the 100th.... but, woo, that 51st! I am all over that (haha), who cars about the 51st? Will Disney even mention it?

So, to sumarise, I was disapointed, but I was there and have SOMETHING to show I was there, but if you have a "I was there" pin to sell me, let me know! Oh, and the cupcakes where all right, just not the topping, oh, and they had a nice lemon taste, and where moist.

I also wonder if I would of got into the park earlier if I just waited in the line for the front, and I guess I mised out on all the CM's waving high :(

Disneyfun
07-18-2005, 11:55 AM
THe wonderful welcome from the line of employees.

Being there with my family

THat my daughter was good all day dispite the fact she was up at 5:00 am!

How well organized the entry was for those who waited at DCA

The ease of getting on rides (Since I expected to get on nothing!)

Meeting Mouse planet people!
And my goodie bag. THanks!

See Art link letter again!

Dislikes:
Seeing the Governor there :p

The Govener getting a bike ( I do not care who he is donating it too) But at the same time found it Ironic that he is giving it to a cause that is being disminished because of his budget cuts

The fact Poor Diane (SP) Disney Miller got on only of photo graph as sentimate as it was still Arnold got a Mortocycle. Come on people who is more important here?

The heat!

The heat!

The heat!

ANd the after effect of the aching legs today!

ksejr1
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I didnt like what Arnold had to say, it wasnt the time or place to make a speech. I also didnt like that roy disney wasnt there.
Art linkletter was funny.
Just being there at one of disney's most historical moments was a great experience.

TinkerMonkey
07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Nope, not surprised. Just wondering on the quanity of them. Running out a bit fast, aren't they? With the amount of time passed and the amount of people that were in the park (most in line for view or merchandise) the math doesn't make sense. That is, if you think of the USUAL amount of FPs.

We were in line for the SM FP at 9AM and the timesd were changing about every 20-30 people at that time. One thing was that cast members had '
override' tickets in their hands. About 100.

I'm glad too! My ticket got erm...chocolate on it and did not work in the machines. :~}

TinkerMonkey
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Dislikes:

It may ahve been my 37th birthday, but my feet and knees aged 1 year per hour of standing in line..over...and over...then standing for parades, and walking..and...

Finding the ONE grumpy CM at Space Mountain. I said "good morning, how are you today" and he barked, "TERRIBLE". It was only 9:20AM! :eek:

Having to smell the frosting on the 20th cupcake to be offered to us...we each ate 3 and there seemed to be 3000 per person.

mmm...so the frosting was sweet..it was yummy!!! Thanks Disneyland!

Sleeping for 4 hours and getting to the park at 5:05 and not having to wait to wait in a line to wait in THE line.

The moment when I was handed my Godlen Ears and saw my BIRTHDAY embroidered on the back! whoooohoooo! That's the coolest.

Getting an orange and green band and getting to sit under the trees in the Sierra Nevada while we waited for THE line to move.

Walking past all of the crowds waiting to get in while cast memebrs said "Welcome Home" and the overwhelming feeling when the cast memebers clapped and welcomed us on Main Street. YAY!

The Birthday pin that a friend of a friend was thoughtful wnough to get me from her resort hotel.

Being invited to spend my birthday with friends and new aquaitances (from MP) at Big Thunder Ranch and the Happiest Birthday on Earth. It was fun! Pat-E-Cake was high on sugar I think... :D He was very nice.

I love the 2 pins I got! love the MUG!

Tinkerbell in the parade!

Last, but not least...the fireworks we un beliveable.....They should call them "UNBELIEVE"..no?

Thank you to all of teh cast memebrs who took the time to say Happy Birthday for my actual birthday. I can't think of a better place that I could have been on such a special day.

tod
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Am I the only one who really hates that chart of the "Mickey Mouse Club March" that incorporates "When You Wish Upon A Star" at the end of the verse?

When Mickey and company came dancing out of the Castle and I recognized that it was that version my heart sank.

--t

scanmom
07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I liked the pictures and posts that everyone has put on the net.
I dislike the fact that I live 1200 miles away, and had to miss all the fun!
I like the fact that it seems that everyone there was pleasant and had a great time!

funatdisney
07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Despite all the negatives of the day ; the FA line, heat and missing the ceremony. I truely am grateful I was able to go with my "Mom's Day Out" friends. We had hours to catch up on your lives at DCA. We shared so many memories we will be talking about for months. I also thought the trip well worth to effort to experience Disneyland's 50th. I felt it was a party for us. May 5th was really for the media. I was just there for effect. Yesterday was for the Guests. I really felt honored to go and just be there. I know, I'm propably a sucker, but I don't care!