PDA

View Full Version : 50th disappointment for hourly castmembers (at least this one!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Hawkeye Jenny
07-16-2005, 09:11 PM
:(

After all the fuss management made over our role in the company..after all the declarations of "it couldn't happen without you!" and "hourly castmembers make the resort what it is!" and "we're all one big Disney family!" that we heard for the last month and especially now...well, it just so happens that it WILL happen without us, at least in part. Hourly castmembers are not being allowed into either park before or after their shift to celebrate. We will work and then go home with security making sure we skedaddle quickly enough. Myself and many other castmembers in my area had planned to gather at Walt's statue after our shifts for..um..a powwow (for lack of a better term) but nope, we can't. Call me a little overly emotional, but that stings a little. :crying:

"We're one big disney family (but you're going to stay in your room today.)"

Wendi
07-16-2005, 09:19 PM
That's truly sad, I'm sorry you will miss out. Are you at least allowed to purchase a ticket to use that day?

coronado_g
07-16-2005, 09:22 PM
That's truly sad, I'm sorry you will miss out. Are you at least allowed to purchase a ticket to use that day?

That's true - if you buy a ticket, you can be part of the celebration with all the other guests.

Hawkeye Jenny
07-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Buy a regular ticket if they're sold, yes. Can't use the cast discount last I heard - and one generally can't afford to drop $56 on a non-neccesity while working for 'those' wages. At least I haven't talked to anyone out of several dozen who has the extra $$ and plans to buy a ticket. That and the gates will likely be closed when CM's are done with their shifts. Rather ironic. :rolleyes: There are a lot of displeased CM's right now over this.

Disneyfun
07-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I feel bad. But as an ex cast member not surprised. I can tell stories that should be in mouse tales.

As for buying a ticket. That might not be possible either. Word is they may not open ticket office tomorrow!

AVP
07-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Jenny, aren't you allowed to use one of the comp passes you receive twice each year to enter the park tomorrow? I know several cast members who are using one of their free passes to enter the park since their Main Gate is blocked.

AVP

Hawkeye Jenny
07-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, we can use those - but they aren't being sent out until a few weeks from now and only a handful have any of the previous passes left. We would have saved them if we'd known we would be blocked out ahead of time. :( Never expected such a thing, so...

Tinkerbelle
07-16-2005, 10:27 PM
yup. no playing in the park on the 17th for us because "We work while others play" - I've just got one question for whoever made up that lame saying.... when do we get to play??????????????/

SilverStyle
07-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Eh.....DL is the last place I want to be after my shift. I actually have OT tomorrow. I bet lines are going to be crazy too, let alone at max capacity. I am a CR, you can always use your comp tix.

Opus1guy
07-16-2005, 11:51 PM
"We work while others play"

Or perhaps more appropriately..."We Work While Others Whistle."

;)

TP2000
07-17-2005, 01:49 AM
You can use your comp tickets that Disney gives you twice per year. You can buy a ticket like the rest of America. Or you can celebrate while you are at work bringing happiness to so many people.

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you for being "blocked out" from complimentary admission on one of the busiest days in the history of the Park. To allow all 20,000 CM's to enter the Park at will on July 17th would be extremely poor judgement on behalf of Disney's security management team.

"We Work While Others Play" is, and always has been, the motto at Disneyland. If you wan't to view it as simply a playground to be used at your whim, regardless of operational difficulty, then maybe get a job at Starbucks or Target and buy an Annual Pass.

There are very, very few companies in America that offer the types of lavish and unique benefits that Disney theme parks do to all levels of employees, from churro hostess to Human Resources executive. To be upset at Disneyland management for focusing on the paying customers on an extremely busy day seems inappropriate to me.

FantasmicFanatic
07-17-2005, 02:15 AM
To be upset at Disneyland management for focusing on the paying customers on an extremely busy day seems inappropriate to me.Just outta curiosity, are you or have you ever been a CM at Disneyland?

FF

yeartolate
07-17-2005, 04:32 AM
OK, flame me, but on the 17th I certainly can understand why employees are being asked to leave after their shift. The crowds are going to be huge enough - can you imagine the anger of a guest at GCH paying $500/night being refused entry while a park employee is allowed in free?

Hawkeye Jenny
07-17-2005, 06:07 AM
You can use your comp tickets that Disney gives you twice per year. You can buy a ticket like the rest of America. Or you can celebrate while you are at work bringing happiness to so many people.

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you for being "blocked out" from complimentary admission on one of the busiest days in the history of the Park. To allow all 20,000 CM's to enter the Park at will on July 17th would be extremely poor judgement on behalf of Disney's security management team.

"We Work While Others Play" is, and always has been, the motto at Disneyland. If you wan't to view it as simply a playground to be used at your whim, regardless of operational difficulty, then maybe get a job at Starbucks or Target and buy an Annual Pass.

There are very, very few companies in America that offer the types of lavish and unique benefits that Disney theme parks do to all levels of employees, from churro hostess to Human Resources executive. To be upset at Disneyland management for focusing on the paying customers on an extremely busy day seems inappropriate to me.

You're either in management (they always uphold an illusion of the resort being an ideal wonderful surpreme perfecto place to work and we should all grovel at the company's feet in adoration) or you want to work there and have your own grand illusion about doing so. It's a trying and often frustrating place to work where you are frequently underpaid and overworked. Ergo myself and many others work there out of a love for Walt's legacy - certainly not for good wages and benefits.

Again, the twice-yearly comp tix (you get one ticket if you haven't any dependents) are being sent out 3 weeks too late and not many people can afford to drop $56 on a non-neccesity when they work for 6.40 (after taxes) or less an hour. Simply put many of us wanted to celebrate along with the guests to remind ourselves why we choose to work there - but nope, we will work and go home to watch it all on tv. Can't even gather somewhere backstage since rumor says loitering backstage while not on a meal break will be 'discouraged' today. It just hurts a little after management's polished song and dance about us being a crucial part of the 50th, is all.

Admittedly I'm glad I have a shift to work so I can be there at all. If I wasn't already scheduled I would be on the phone trying to remedy that.

Tambour
07-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. It would be totally irresponsible for Disneyland to allow what would certainly be a huge number of cast in for this event. TP2000 has it completely right, no need for him to be management or a glossy eyed onlooker for a reasonable comparison to other companies.

I'm cast, I'm working, and I'm there for the guests. If the cast was allowed to go in the guest experience would be even more hectic on what is sure to be a challenging day.

GrumpyUTboi
07-17-2005, 06:41 AM
That sucks!

Simba's Mom
07-17-2005, 08:41 AM
:(

After all the fuss management made over our role in the company..after all the declarations of "it couldn't happen without you!" and "hourly castmembers make the resort what it is!" and "we're all one big Disney family!" that we heard for the last month and especially now...well, it just so happens that it WILL happen without us, at least in part. Hourly castmembers are not being allowed into either park before or after their shift to celebrate. We will work and then go home with security making sure we skedaddle quickly enough. Myself and many other castmembers in my area had planned to gather at Walt's statue after our shifts for..um..a powwow (for lack of a better term) but nope, we can't. Call me a little overly emotional, but that stings a little. :crying:

"We're one big disney family (but you're going to stay in your room today.)"
I do really sympathize with you. I know that DS is a seasonal CM, performing at the 10:00 event in front of the castle. He was so disappointed to learn that after the event they would be hustled on out. "We couldn't do this without you"-now, GET OUT! What a shame!

Tinkerbelle
07-17-2005, 08:54 AM

Look, I don't know who you are, or what your about, but you need to see both sides of the picture before you go off on CMs. What you posted above is very offensive.

We take our jobs seriously. We know that there will be a ton of people in the park today. For example, my job today is doing Guest Control on Main Street. I will be dealing with people who have stood in long lines to enter the park, paid around $56 dollars just to get in, are tired from waiting, and who want to be able to move freely around the park. However, with so many people in the park today, it's going to be really crowded, and therefore some of the guests will get frustrated. When guests get frustrated, they tend to take it out on Cast Members, since the CMs are the ones telling them where to go, and where they can and cannot sit or stand. Sure, we deal with it every day, but that doesn't make it any easier.

My point is that we work hard. We work really hard. There are some of us (myself included) who devote most of our time to working at Disneyland, and we only go home to sleep. Disneyland is certainly NOT a playground to be used at our whim. I am very offended that you would say something like that. The CMs that I work with certainly do not feel like that. We devote most of our time working to keep the guests happy. Personally, I spend my entire day at Disneyland, and only go home at night to sleep. And I love working there, I truly do. But we do need a break every once in a while. The reason we are frustrated is because our Main Gate passes have been blocked out today, so we cannot enter as a GUEST. We understand why, of course (we're not stupid), but it is frustrating for the CMs that were not scheduled to work today, because they cannot come and be a part of it, even for a little while.

If it wern't for CMs, Disneyland woudn't be the place that it is today. Maybe you should start appreciating us, instead of offending us. :(

BellhopMicah
07-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Aww, I'm sorry :(

GrumpyUTboi
07-17-2005, 10:20 AM
After reading TP200's comments I have to agree with him sort of. Maybe the CM's that are working there should be able to enjoy the whole days festivites, but if there are really 20k CM's that would be a 50% increase in people for the day and the people that paid will not get anywhere near the ROI (return on investment).

As for not appreciating the CM's, that is not true. I have had only one complaint about DL and that was Alice ignored my children when they went up to her at her spot by the teacups. She saw a little girl dressed up as Alice and went over to her and left my children with their autograph books in their hands unsigned. Other than that I have always appreciated the CM's and I let them know that by telling them and going to City Hall to make a compliment.

As for telling you that you should go to Starbucks or Target, I feel that was a little overbearing. It almost seemed like TP was angry, maybe I am reading it wrong. I am sure that there are perks to working at DL. I worked for Continental Airlines and we paid $10 each way but the restrictions were we were on standby. Did it suck to go by standby, yes but it was a perk. Enjoy the park, make some childs memories a great one and enjoy the 50th celebration.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-17-2005, 10:32 AM
That is very sad. :crying:

mraw
07-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Management should've had the foresight to have a special celebration for the Cast Members who work during the 50th celebration. It could be after hours one night during the week, and they could provide the Cast Members with everything they offered guests (the ears and cupcakes). That would seem fair to me. The last thing you would want on a milestone celebration like this is low morale among Cast Members.

They should've done the separate party, and told Cast Members before the 17th so that everyone would be cheery and happy instead of feeling bad for missing out. I don't know if they do this at DLR, but at WDW, every park has it's own Cast Appreciation Day, where anyone who works in that park can come for food, fun and games. The best one was at Epcot last year. They had a banquet-type buffet, and they had desserts from each of the countries in World Showcase. They also had free ice cream bars (the ones they sell in the park), a band, and discount shopping! They held it at the Millennium Village.

ChipmunkStar
07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually, the company has shown plenty of appreciation toward the CMs already. And for the record, yes, I am one.

We have already had our chance until today to pick up our complimentary 50th gifts (including copies of the maps being given out today, a pin that says "I Worked There, July 17 2005", a very nicely done hardcover book featuring Cast Members at all the Disney resorts throughout the years, and a set of gold ears that will also be given out to guests today). Did Disney HAVE to give us all that stuff? No. In fact, it's all pretty much what they're giving to the guests that day, whether you're not working that day or not (as I'm not), with the added bonus of the book.

While it's sad to see that we won't be able to come in for free, you still could use a comp pass. The focus should be on the guests who flew from Kentucky for their once in a lifetime shot to visit the parks, not the hourly who just came in after their shift. We have every single other day to visit the parks, let's let the guests who actually PAID to be there deal with the 4 hour lines to get a churro, instead of increasing it to 7.

mraw
07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
We have already had our chance until today to pick up our complimentary 50th gifts (including copies of the maps being given out today, a pin that says "I Worked There, July 17 2005", a very nicely done hardcover book featuring Cast Members at all the Disney resorts throughout the years, and a set of gold ears that will also be given out to guests today).They gave you all a lot of stuff! I think that was very nice of them.

ArthurBang
07-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm honestly surprised by the reports of people who are NOT working. I'm in stores, and they scheduled everybody (including those who normally have Sundays off), and I haven't heard any complaints. Everybody seemed to be excited just to be there and be working today as part of the 50th.

As far as I'm concerned, if you wanted to be there today, you should have saved a complimentary pass just in case.