PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Tomorrowland

Pages : [1] 2

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
To risk showing our age...what are your fondest memories of TL?? Mine are the Tomorrowland Stage and the performers we saw there and dancing after dark at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Also catching the eye of a male CM who took me and my friends behind the scenes to see the "hole in the ground" which was to soon become Space Mountain. It seems that TL was the place we hung out the most when we were teenagers. What about you?

Mark Mywords
07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Standing in the Adventures Through Inner Space queue looking at the big microscope, riding the submarines

OCCOBRA
07-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Walking up to the ramp to the people mover and seeing all the animated goodyear signs, Circle vision etc.

carolyn
07-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Checking out the hot submarine CMs from the Monorail platform, then going on the Subs over and over and being helped in and out of the sub by said hot CMs.

shawnarae
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Captain EO & some film about China (I think) being shown, that's not too far back I guess (I am 27)

Barbossa
07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
I second the Tomorrowland Stage. Both DL and Magic Mountain had great places to dance back in the 80's. Jacko was #1 and still had most of his face, I still think of Tomorrowland/Capt EO when I listen to songs like "Off The Wall".

SCUBAbe
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I never saw captain eo, becasue I have always hated jackson. I don't really have any memories of tomorrowland. it was always my least favorite land and my father would take my sister to ride the rockets and my mother would take me on POTC. it was tradition and my favorite part of any DL trip..:)

I apprecaite tomorrowland much more now. I miss the buckets/skyway though.

rfaljean
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Peoplemover through "Tron"; Adventure through InnerSpace; Space Mountain -riding it with my dad-just the 2 of us until I was 8 or so-He'd tease me w/each "exit" and tell me it was my last time to bail out. He got sick after that last time and we had to leave :( , rode it solo until my 11 yr old became a coaster freak at the age of 9 -now she has to ride it solo cuz mommy gets sick ;)

Doug
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
People mover through Tron?! I don't remember this... PICTURES!

Peoplemover through "Tron"; Adventure through InnerSpace; Space Mountain -riding it with my dad-just the 2 of us until I was 8 or so-He'd tease me w/each "exit" and tell me it was my last time to bail out. He got sick after that last time and we had to leave :( , rode it solo until my 11 yr old became a coaster freak at the age of 9 -now she has to ride it solo cuz mommy gets sick ;)

shawnarae
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
But what is this memory of a film about China I have. Maybe presented by an Airline? I remeber the great wall of China (I think). Maybe where Buzz is now????

Weird to have bits of memory and not understand them. Like the memory of seeing the "3 little Pigs" at Disneyland (costumed characters). They aren't Disney, so why do I have the memory? My parents were not into taking pictures back then...early 80s.

Mark Mywords
07-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Weird to have bits of memory and not understand them. Like the memory of seeing the "3 little Pigs" at Disneyland (costumed characters). They aren't Disney, so why do I have the memory?

Ah, but they are and your memory serves you well. Check it out:
http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/fl3pigs1.jpg

potzbie
07-13-2005, 10:39 PM
One of the most memorable things I saw in Tomorrowland was back when there was a Monsanto building of some kind, back when there was a plastic House of Tomorrow on stilts.
Whever it was, there was one exhibit where you could play Tic Tac Toe against a computer, which never lost.
I was so amazed.--How did it know strategy?
Of course, it would not have occurred to me that the strategy for Tic Tac Toe could be easily automated.
It always picked the center square and always picked a corner square. It never picked a middle square on the four edges.

Isn't it curious that I remember that?

I only remember one room in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," and that is where they had a diorama of a giant squid.

What is the web site that saves old pictures of obsolete Disneyland attractions?

TowerofTerror
07-13-2005, 10:39 PM
The People Mover and the submarines

Mark Mywords
07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
What is the web site that saves old pictures of obsolete Disneyland attractions?

Are you thinking www.yesterland.com? I love that site...

AirForceGoofy
07-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I remember a Tomorrowland that hadn't met Buzz Lightyear yet. I remember being saved by a singing space hero. I remember chilling out on the People Mover or getting butterflies in my stomach as I went up the Speed Ramp to Space Mountain. I remember "Mission To Mars" and does anyone remember the name of the Audio Anamitronic guy who was the "host" of it? I remember when there were buckets in the sky and bg yellow subs making there way around a lagoon. I remember rocket jets and how high you felt when you were on them really soaring above Tomorrowland...
"Then I woke up and realized I was still in Iraq" HAHA

Sandiegoboy
07-13-2005, 11:06 PM
But what is this memory of a film about China I have. Maybe presented by an Airline? I remeber the great wall of China (I think). Maybe where Buzz is now????

If I remember right, there was a theater there, it was round maybe? I know it was still there in some form when the rocket rods were there.

My memories in Tomorrowland are as follows.
I think you used to have to take a moving sidewalk up to spacemountain. Was there possibly an area underneath the spacemountain Line?
Also, the stage that goes up, there was a group of Brass players, and the played StarWars music. It was awsome. All types of weird unusual brass instruments. All kinda like trumpets.... Anyone ever saw them?

shawnarae
07-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Ah, but they are and your memory serves you well. Check it out:
http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/fl3pigs1.jpg

Holy cow.....I did remember something that was real. When I say "3 little pigs" & "Disneyland" in the same sentence I get "looks"....

very cool!

Gandalf
07-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Some of my favorite memories were riding the Skyway through the Matterhorn and trying to check the lines to see which ride we would go on next. Space Mtn & the Rockets were the ones we rode probably the most, but by the end of the night we had usually hooked up with some girls and spent time in Fantasyland on the dark rides. I guess Disney will never bring back the Skyway, maybe they should check into this guy =>Woody Norris' Skycar. It's supposed to be a cross between a Ferrari and a Batmobile.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/15/60minutes/main688454.shtml

redcon1
07-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I remember seeing the original Carousel of Progress and then walking past the City of Tomorrow model following the performance.
I also saw Peggy Lee on the Tomorrowland Stage around '67. This is when she still had a good relationship with Disney.
Rocket to the Moon, AT&T Circle-Vision(I think) with the gizmos you could play with after the film, ATIS(what was in the building before ATIS?), even the Monsanto House of the Future, tho I never went in there.
TL seemed so much bigger then, but I guess all the lands did when I was younger.

jon80flt
07-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I remember "Mission To Mars" and does anyone remember the name of the Audio Anamitronic guy who was the "host" of it?

His name was Tom Morrow... [Trivia Alert] Can you name the two current attractions that his name is heard?

Jon

ZenMickey
07-14-2005, 08:47 AM
One of the most memorable things I saw in Tomorrowland was back when there was a Monsanto building of some kind, back when there was a plastic House of Tomorrow on stilts.
Whever it was, there was one exhibit where you could play Tic Tac Toe against a computer, which never lost.
I was so amazed.--How did it know strategy?
Of course, it would not have occurred to me that the strategy for Tic Tac Toe could be easily automated.
It always picked the center square and always picked a corner square. It never picked a middle square on the four edges.

Isn't it curious that I remember that?

I only remember one room in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," and that is where they had a diorama of a giant squid.

I remember that Tic-Tac-Toe computer too! Haven't thought about it in ages.
www.yesterland is the site with the old attractions.
You might have seen the 20,000 Leagues exhibit that was there before the submarine ride.

The Wonders of China film was in the Circlevision theater (where Buzz is now) for a limited time. I thought the movie was awesome, because it was one of the first looks into the Forbidden City. But usually it was the America the Beautiful movie (which I loved too).

My best tomorrowland memories (I spent a lot of time in that land in the 70's):

Carousel of Progress and the City of Tomorrow model
Space Mountain Escalator
PeopleMover w/Tron Tunnel (and the speed tunnel)
Those phone booths where everyone could talk at once!!!!
Adventures thru Innerspace (I would ride it over and over)
Tomorrowland Terrace stage as it starts to rise, and the band starts playing..
Rocket to the Moon and it's vibrating seats
Laughing at MJ's voice in Captain EO
Elevator to Rocket Jets
Watching America Sings on a hot summer day
The movement in the land- monorail, peoplemover, subs, autopia, skyway

I miss it all.

shawnarae
07-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Tom Morrow....hummmm....trying to think what atractions have voice narration in them. Tower of Terror? Pirates of the Caribean? Haunted Mansion? DL Railroad Train?

Do tell :)

Mark Mywords
07-14-2005, 08:59 AM
His name was Tom Morrow... [Trivia Alert] Can you name the two current attractions that his name is heard?

Jon

Innoventions and Star Tours? Star Tours also has a paging announcement for a "Mr. Egroeg Sacul" (George Lucas spelled backwards).

MrsPooh
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Going into America Sings to watch the show and get into air conditioning and take my hot shoes off for a minute!

Making out on Adventures Thru Innerspace with the hot hunk of the moment! :eek:

Taking Mr. Pooh on Space Mountain. His first ever Disney ride, his first ever rollercoaster ride (now he is a fanatic! :eek: )

jon80flt
07-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Innoventions and Star Tours? Star Tours also has a paging announcement for a "Mr. Egroeg Sacul" (George Lucas spelled backwards).
Ding, Ding Ding!!! BigUgly wins a prize!!!! :D