PDA

View Full Version : Picture Mosaics: Computer or Artist?

Pat-n-Eil
07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I've been thinking about the mosaics throughout Disneyland. They are probably the result of a cool computer program that analyzes characteristics of scanned images and puts them together to form a reasonable facsimile of an original picture that it is trying to duplicate.

On the other hand, it may be that a human artist has to begin the manipulation of these images and perhaps uses a computer to help finish the details.

Does anyone know for sure how these impressive mosaics are created?

I'd be impressed either way.. heck, I still think those "magic eye" stereograms that used to be so popular are really neat.

phoenixfire2k5
07-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I've been thinking about the mosaics throughout Disneyland. They are probably the result of a cool computer program that analyzes characteristics of scanned images and puts them together to form a reasonable facsimile of an original picture that it is trying to duplicate.

On the other hand, it may be that a human artist has to begin the manipulation of these images and perhaps uses a computer to help finish the details.

Does anyone know for sure how these impressive mosaics are created?

I'd be impressed either way.. heck, I still think those "magic eye" stereograms that used to be so popular are really neat.

Gotta be computer. Most look like they're categorized by color. Have you seen the one near the Mat Hatter shop in Main Street? It is amazing! It is Steamboat Mickey made out of cast members, made out of guests. I think there is another one, but I can't remember completely.

And another thing, has anyone noticed that the Haunted Mansion one looks a little bit faded now since it's been there? It looks almost a little sun fried or faded because of the black light. I don't remember it looking like that when I first saw it.

Alex S.
07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
There are several pieces of software available for doing this (I think the first was invented back in 1997 when they started to appear and then one of the big magazines broke it into the mainstream with a cover photo made of previous cover photos).

Pat-n-Eil
07-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I remember that.. I think it was either Life magazine or Time..

phoenix, nope I haven't seen any of them yet. Going in early August!

scaeagles
07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
On Friday, June 24, my family and I were lined up at the GC entrance into DCA at around 9:00a.m. A 20 something cast member came to the entrance and said he was going to take anyone who wanted to go on a small tour and then take us as the first riders of the day on Soarin'. We accepted, as did everyone else in line (30 or so people).

While the tour was unimpressive and pointless, really, he pointed out the Flik photo mosaic as we walked from the GRR toward the entrance to Soarin. I specifically asked him if they were computer generated, and he said that every one was done by hand by an artist with several assistants.

I found this to be amazing, but he was absolutely certain in his answer. Even the gigantic one near the TL monorail station was, in fact, done by hand. He said that in certain situations a computer was used to add tint to some photos as needed, but that computers did not make the mosaics.

Pat-n-Eil
07-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks scaeagles for the info. I'm also glad to hear they have that little tour and Soarin' ride still available for GCH guests :)

ChipmunkStar
07-13-2005, 02:06 PM
He was wrong. I met the man who designed and made the collages in a small group (we were learning to use the "where's my picture?" kiosks by City Hall and the Steamboat Willie mural). He told us that each picture submitted was scanned into a computer, and then the computer analyzed each picture by approximately 300 points of color.

After getting an image "approved," he would then take that image (i.e. hitchhiking ghosts, fantasmic, Hercules, etc.), scan than into the computer, and the program would then place pictures into the collage by how well their 300 points matched the larger image.

Awesome program, he also showed us where all 50 hidden 50's would be, and copies of the collages before they were made public. You don't have to believe me. I met the man, I know it's true.