PDA

View Full Version : Am I making too big a deal of this?

Pages : [1] 2

Daveylegs
07-13-2005, 07:05 AM
I made my Disney Reservation a few weeks ago with Disney Travel. I booked everything through them including air. I gave them my credit card number that night (they told me that in addition to putting a deposit down, I had to pay for the plane tickets up front - a new policy with United Airlines).

I called back on Monday night to check my reservations (we received no charges to the account). They told me the reservations had been canceled due to lack of payment. When I talked to the woman on the phone, she told me she didn't know what went wrong because on the screen it showed that they had received payment. She told me she would talk to her supervisor and call me back within a few minutes.

After an hour, I called back and asked to speak to her but she had left for the day so another person helped me. After 90 minutes on the phone (long distance, I might add - at least she was very nice), she finally had made new reservations for me. She was very apologetic and told me that a supervisor would call me in the morning.

I waited until late afternoon of the next day and I called again and asked to speak to the supervisor. He told me he was aware of the problem but someone else was working on it (who was gone for the day). He told me that he didn't know that someone was supposed to get back to me.

By this time I was a little frustrated. I had invested about 3 hours (not to mention long distance charges) to make new reservations and twice I promised to be called back but no calls were made.

After hearing my frustration he apologized but didn't offer anything more. Eventually he offered 3 line passes. I'm not the type to demand freebies but I was a little disappointed that this was the best he could do.

Am I making too big a deal of this? I'm not sure what I was expecting. I think the thing that bothers me is that he didn't really want to do anything and only when pressed did he offer me the line passes - which don't cost Disney anything.

hlbtimes2
07-13-2005, 07:31 AM
I would just let it go. If you dont, you risk it overshadowing your vacation. Yes, it sounds like they dropped the ball, and didnt give you great service. But, it sounds like you were still able to book the same vacation you wanted. If the room or flights you had wanted were not available I can see wanting to be compensated. But, that doesnt sound like what happened.

Neon Cactus
07-13-2005, 07:37 AM
It sort of depends on the time frame. If it's a busy time, line passes might be the best they're going to give. Mistakes sometimes happen and it's an inconvenience to you, but as long as they get it right, that's the key.

I used to work in the travel industry and many times the second a mistake gets made, the passengers expect, sometimes demand, a free upgrade to a better hotel, convertible car, etc. And they get angry if they don't get an extra freebie.

That said, when we went on the Disney Cruise, we booked an outside cabin with window and Disney misapplied our money. Once the mistake was corrected, they also upgraded us to a cabin with balcony. Definitely nice!

You can always ask a supervisor if there's something specific you want, but it may depend on how busy the resort is.

Daveylegs
07-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I used to work in the travel industry and many times the second a mistake gets made, the passengers expect, sometimes demand, a free upgrade to a better hotel, convertible car, etc. And they get angry if they don't get an extra freebie.

All businesses make mistakes. It's the way that mistakes are handled that matters. In this case, it was not that big a mess up and it was corrected. I feel it would have been a good business practice to offer something right off the bat for the inconvenience.

I'm still excited about my vacation! I'm sure we'll have a great time and all will be forgotten by then (the vacation is in November).

Pat-n-Eil
07-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I also work in an industry where customer service is key. Thank goodness I'm not a CSR! In your case, it sounds like they definitely dropped the ball - at least twice - and while it is unfortunate, it is good that they were eventually able to correct it. I feel your pain. I've been into situations with various vendors where it seemed like I was speaking a completely different language from them because no matter how I tried, they just couldn't seem to fix their own errors.

I actually think the line passes are a nice consolation prize as long as they don't mess up the charges on your card now or something.

On the other hand, I have heard some stories of some customers who just didn't know what they were talking about. This definitely does not apply to you in this case, but it does happen and I suppose if it happens enough, the CSRs get a bit jaded.

For me, the main problem I thought about while reading about your experience was the lack of follow-up when it was promised to you. I don't know how big their facility is, but this is almost always a problem with the office manager not stressing the importance of the follow-up. Policies without "buy-in" from the supervisory staff don't work very well. As Michael Dukakis said many years ago now in his presidential campaign "A fish rots form the head down".

Anyhow, have a great vacation!

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Without trying to sound like a trouble maker, I have to wonder what the advantage to booking your vacation with WDT is???? They don't even have the courtesy of giving a toll free number to their "guests". One has to wonder at the arrogance of a multi-billion dollar corporation which does not even offer it's potential "guests" a toll free number to make reservations. When I asked the CM at the hotel reservation line this question in May, she seemed quite embarrassed that they did not offer this service to their guests. That along with the blunders that I have read about makes me wonder why anyone would book with them when there are obviously better ways of doing it. I do know that the AP holders reservation number is toll free and I was able to book directly with the hotel for a great rate in September. But for everything else I go on my own. You can buy park hoppers at the Disney Store or online for the discount price. You can book your hotel through any number of methods and then there is the great places like GetAwayToday.com which you can use to book your complete vacation excluding airfare. And for airfare, never use WDT. They have the highest rates and you can do so much better booking on your own.

I'm sorry they treated you the way they did and I would write a letter to management stating your dissatisfaction.

BigAlH
07-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Because we have pets and a 5th wheel trailer, we don't book flights and hotel. For the past 2 years I've used AAA and get their package. The tickets actually come from Disney, but AAA handles everything. They are always friendly and very helpful.

Wouldn't do it any other way...

-al

p.s. you only need Roadside Service from AAA for this, not insurance.

Pat-n-Eil
07-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Without trying to sound like a trouble maker, I have to wonder what the advantage to booking your vacation with WDT is???? They don't even have the courtesy of giving a toll free number to their "guests". One has to wonder at the arrogance of a multi-billion dollar corporation which does not even offer it's potential "guests" a toll free number to make reservations. When I asked the CM at the hotel reservation line this question in May, she seemed quite embarrassed that they did not offer this service to their guests. That along with the blunders that I have read about makes me wonder why anyone would book with them when there are obviously better ways of doing it. I do know that the AP holders reservation number is toll free and I was able to book directly with the hotel for a great rate in September. But for everything else I go on my own. You can buy park hoppers at the Disney Store or online for the discount price. You can book your hotel through any number of methods and then there is the great places like GetAwayToday.com which you can use to book your complete vacation excluding airfare. And for airfare, never use WDT. They have the highest rates and you can do so much better booking on your own.

I'm sorry they treated you the way they did and I would write a letter to management stating your dissatisfaction.

There's always AAA where you can get the same accomodations for less and get the enhanced FastPass to boot.

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 09:38 AM
There's always AAA where you can get the same accomodations for less and get the enhanced FastPass to boot.

See....that's 2 votes for AAA and you get roadside service to boot. I know Mr. Eisner wouldn't send a tow truck for me. BTW...when you book through a travel agent, they use WDT. I guess that's the most convenient for them. I tried to book a group package for Dec. through 3 different agents and they all used WDT and wouldn't even try to put together a package for me in another way. Needless to say, we put together a great package ourselves and literally saved 100's over what we were quoted.

hlbtimes2
07-13-2005, 10:06 AM
AAA is not always a better deal. They didnt have the rooms available at PP for our dates, but I was able to get them through WDT. I checked expedia for the same dates- I could have made the reservation for the same cost- but we would not have been conc. level. The airfare for United was the same price from expedia, united and WDT for our dates. Under $200 a person from Seattle, roundtrip. I spent hours and hours looking for the best deal. WDT was the same cost as everyone else, but we get toon town madness, conc. level room and some other little things disney throws in.

Hakuna Makarla
07-13-2005, 10:28 AM
yeah, I would be mad to!! to much time on the phone at your cost, heck yeah I would be frying mad. so yeah you have every right to be mad! I hope you have a wonderful time and yeah after 3 hours on the phone and all that hassle you deserve something in return!

Crazy4DL
07-13-2005, 11:10 AM
They don't even have the courtesy of giving a toll free number to their "guests". One has to wonder at the arrogance of a multi-billion dollar corporation which does not even offer it's potential "guests" a toll free number to make reservations. .

I don't understand - I have a 1-800 # for WDT :confused:

My documentation for our trip, booked with WDT, has a line saying

. . . if you have any questions about your vacation package, please call (800)225-2024"

I have used WDT online for at least 3 different occasions and had nothing but top notch customer service. I find their rates to be very comparable too.

I go directly to the airlines for booking of flights. I use Expedia to find the cheapest flight but then go to the airline to book - it saves the about $10 a ticket that Expedia charged me the one time I went through them.

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't understand - I have a 1-800 # for WDT :confused:

My documentation for our trip, booked with WDT, has a line saying

. . . if you have any questions about your vacation package, please call (800)225-2024"

Your documentation from WDT but to reach WDT you first have to call the toll number. Even the reservation line on Disney.com gives you a 714 number to call. Last time I checked (my phone bill) 714 was not toll free. Below is copied directly from disney.com.

Resort Information
(714) 781-4565 †
Disney Dining Reservations
(714) 781-DINE †
Disneyland® Resort Travel Packages
(714) 520-5060 †
Hotels of the Disneyland® Resort
(714) 781-4565 †

Contact Us
To send us a message, please complete the form below. You also may find answers to questions in our Help and Resort FAQ sections.

Help | Guest Services | Resort FAQ | Site Map | Contact Us | Internet Safety | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use. © Disney. All rights reserved. Site Survey: Tell us what you think

JosieGirl71
07-13-2005, 12:30 PM
See....that's 2 votes for AAA and you get roadside service to boot. I know Mr. Eisner wouldn't send a tow truck for me. BTW...when you book through a travel agent, they use WDT. I guess that's the most convenient for them. I tried to book a group package for Dec. through 3 different agents and they all used WDT and wouldn't even try to put together a package for me in another way. Needless to say, we put together a great package ourselves and literally saved 100's over what we were quoted.
Not necessarily. If you want to stay at one of the on-site hotels, then your travel agent does book through WDT. We stayed off-site and our travel agent used a different company.

Crazy4DL
07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Your documentation from WDT but to reach WDT you first have to call the toll number. Even the reservation line on Disney.com gives you a 714 number to call. Last time I checked (my phone bill) 714 was not toll free. Below is copied directly from disney.com.

:confused: . . . the number I just gave you is the 800 # - try it if you are still trying to get ahold of them. I have always called an 800 # for them.

I like your name BTW :D ;)

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
:confused: . . . the number I just gave you is the 800 # - try it if you are still trying to get ahold of them. I have always called an 800 # for them.

I like your name BTW :D ;)

I like yours too, great minds think alike. I'm sorry I got so ugly there. I don't usually make a deal of things but the fact that I have had to call a toll number to make reservations to pay to stay at a Disney hotel really burned me up. We're talking about a huge corporation with money and it just shows the contempt they seem to have for the people who keep them in business, i.e. their customers. BTW I have never stayed at a Disney property and we do have reservations for Sept at the GCH but I am rethinking my decision and will probably stay somewhere off property like the Marriott or the Hilton who seem to value their guests and give an 800 # to make the reservation.\

Again please forgive my attitude it was more toward the Disney Corp. than any of you. :(

SuefromRI
07-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I think you have every right to be angry. Today with so many options available I would think that Customer Service would be the deciding factor for many travel buyers. yes, mistakes happen-- but he company should go the extra step, if not mile, to get the correction made and contact the buyer to resolve the issue. The buyer should not have to continually call, especially long distance!! But, i also agree that you should not dwell on it to the point of ruining your vacation. If given the chance though I would relay the negative info.

Butterfly Skyy
07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
They don't even have the courtesy of giving a toll free number to their "guests". One has to wonder at the arrogance of a multi-billion dollar corporation which does not even offer it's potential "guests" a toll free number to make reservations..

*Psst* It is 1-800-225-2024. :D

~*ButterflySkyy*~

Daveylegs
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I think you have every right to be angry. Today with so many options available I would think that Customer Service would be the deciding factor for many travel buyers. yes, mistakes happen-- but he company should go the extra step, if not mile, to get the correction made and contact the buyer to resolve the issue. The buyer should not have to continually call, especially long distance!! But, i also agree that you should not dwell on it to the point of ruining your vacation. If given the chance though I would relay the negative info.

Who would I relay the negative info to? Do you think it is worth writing a letter about this?

crazi4dlr
07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I really think you should write a letter, maybe to Guest relations. A company that is concerned enough to call their employees Cast Members and their customers "guests" should be concerned about how their cast members treat the guests. Consider the fact that you called back the next night to check on your reservations because you noticed the charges hadn't showed up. What if you hadn't been as diligent about your travel plans? You might not have found out that the reservations didn't go through. What then? And when you addressed the situation, they ignored not once but twice. What's up with that? I am a huge believer in customer service. I have my bad days (alot) and I mess up but when I do I make sure that I take responsibility for it and I offer my clients compensation. "The customer is always right" is not a slogan meant to be a pain in the neck to the people who work in public service. It is absolutely to protect any businesses most valuable assets, their customers, without which there would be no business. Even the machine that is Disney (or any other corporate conglomerate) is dependent upon its customers and to alienate them by ignoring their value is just beyond reproach. Unfortunately, the larger corporations seem to think that they are impervious to losing revenue because after all who would stop going to the Disney parks or seeing the movies. But I remember in 1996 when we went on our honeymoon to DL and they were suffering low attendence, nothing is impossible and they need a reminder that we are the reason that they are in business.

Okay, I will step off of my platform now but not before I urge you to write to management with the same candor and passion that you wrote your original post. This may be a great place to vent but we can't do anything about what happened in your circumstance, perhaps the management at Disney will at least offer you an apology for your inconvenience. Good Luck.

Laura

gerry
07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
It sort of depends on the time frame. If it's a busy time, line passes might be the best they're going to give. Mistakes sometimes happen and it's an inconvenience to you, but as long as they get it right, that's the key.

That said, when we went on the Disney Cruise, we booked an outside cabin with window and Disney misapplied our money. Once the mistake was corrected, they also upgraded us to a cabin with balcony. Definitely nice!

You can always ask a supervisor if there's something specific you want, but it may depend on how busy the resort is.
What is a line pass?

Susan L
07-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Because we have pets and a 5th wheel trailer, we don't book flights and hotel. For the past 2 years I've used AAA and get their package. The tickets actually come from Disney, but AAA handles everything. They are always friendly and very helpful.

Wouldn't do it any other way...

-al

p.s. you only need Roadside Service from AAA for this, not insurance.

I couldn't agree more about AAA, its the only way we book all our trips where ever we go.

Daveylegs
07-13-2005, 09:48 PM
What is a line pass?

It's a pass that you show to the line attendant and they let you to the front of the line.

By the way, the line passes are not good for Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear.

gerry
07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
It's a pass that you show to the line attendant and they let you to the front of the line.

By the way, the line passes are not good for Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear.
Thank you.

Elly
07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
I have to comment in favor of the AAA option. You will get all the same features from AAA as from Disney (Early Entry, Mickey's Toontown Madness, several priority seatings, ESPN zone cards, a lanyard and pin, etc.) In addition to that, you will get a discount coupon book for many of the shops and restaurants in the resort and the enhanced fastpass feature. AAA has a nationwide toll free number that you can call at any time. Then, you will also be able to enjoy your AAA roadside assistance coverage and discounts the rest of the year.