PDA

View Full Version : Windy days

tikiboy
02-10-2002, 11:23 AM
I went to the DLR yesterday, and while at Paradise Pier, it was really sad to see that only Maliboomer and Screamin' were the ONLY attractions open!!

I guess we all knew this would happen when high winds came along, but it still boggles the mind to think that Disney put in wind sensitive attractions in a valley that has winds named after it.

OT here..but if there are any CMs out there..Company D has a lot of T-Shirts from DCA for $3.00 and all snowglobes are $7.00. The place was PACKED yesterday so hurry!

tinkfreak
02-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by tikiboy
Company D has a lot of T-Shirts from DCA for $3.00 and all snowglobes are $7.00.

They should be free! Or melted down to repair DL attractions or something! Blech!

Dlandmom
02-10-2002, 12:23 PM
I just got back from a few brief hours at DLR this morning...not a good day to be out if you wear contacts!

MouseWife
02-10-2002, 01:06 PM
I remember going one day when it was so windy.
I was spitting out dirt and wiping dirt off of my face constantly.
And, it was cold.

Gemini Cricket
02-10-2002, 01:27 PM
There was a time I went to DL and they stopped a Fantasmic show right before the dragon came out because of high winds. Talk about a buzz kill.
:(

Dlandmom
02-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I remember going one day when it was so windy.
I was spitting out dirt and wiping dirt off of my face constantly.
And, it was cold.

Actually, it was almost the opposite today. With the wind, there was no cloud cover, and the sun was beating down on us...it didn't occur to me that we'd need sunscreen, and after about 2 hours out and about, my little one started to melt a little...I know, bad mommy, I had just switched diaper bags and didn't think to put sunscreen into the new one!

I even got a little red on my nose (yes, I know, I don't get out much!).

tabacco
02-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
They should be free! Or melted down to repair DL attractions or something! Blech!

I'd love to see you try to melt down a t-shirt ;)

MouseWife
02-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dlandmom

Actually, it was almost the opposite today. With the wind, there was no cloud cover, and the sun was beating down on us...it didn't occur to me that we'd need sunscreen, and after about 2 hours out and about, my little one started to melt a little...I know, bad mommy, I had just switched diaper bags and didn't think to put sunscreen into the new one!

I even got a little red on my nose (yes, I know, I don't get out much!).

I came to realize that, too, today when I went out. I could feel my skin sizzling. Ouch.

Dreamstaker
02-10-2002, 04:14 PM
The falling ash was a nice touch too- hope that fire is put out soon. My eyes need Visine.

tinkfreak
02-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by tabacco

I'd love to see you try to melt down a t-shirt ;)

Bite me! If I feel like melting down a t shirt I just will.

Nigel2
02-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Well if it is polyester then sure it can melt...

Wind actually can dammage the monorail, I once saw a bunch of tears in the flexable connector for the cars (the grey things on the outside). So they were pulling cars off the track all day.

disneynut
02-10-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Dreamstaker
The falling ash was a nice touch too- hope that fire is put out soon. My eyes need Visine.

How hot is it down there? Do you guys have a wildfire burning? Sorry haven't watched the news or been around a newspaper for about three days. It's actually been kinda nice. :)

BiggJakeMoney
02-10-2002, 11:58 PM
Yeah, Dreamstaker......yeah!

I mean, hello? I was eating one of those pink lemonade frozen yogurts, and there were black specks in it. The ash was all over the place, it started to look like we all needed Head 'N Shoulders really bad. Ick.

Anyways, that black cloud of smoke was one sinister looking mass. What exactly was it that was burning? It looked like Mount Vesuvius emerged in the middle of downtown Anaheim and started spewing forth it's pyroclastic contents.

-BJM

Not Afraid
02-11-2002, 12:00 AM
It wasn't too hot today, just windy and ashey but sunny. Got away with wearing a t-shirt most of the day and didn't get cold until we got on the tram to leave. I also forgot about the sun and got a bit burnt. Now I'm white with red tinges here and there.

The fire was apparently in the Anaheim Hills. You could see the smoke in the sky and the ash in the air. I didn't realize it was so bad until I went to eat my 2 orange slices at breakfast and found them a bit sooty.

The wind did some damage in the park, knocking down some small eucalyptus trees near the parking structure and doing some pretty bad damage to the JC bamboo, however, it didn't close down the ride. It didn't seem to inhibit the crowds. Most of the attractions had quite a bit of a wait. The wind died down in the afternoon and the Columbia started running again.

Its funny, rain will make everyone run for the exits, but anything else people just accept and deal with it.

BiggJakeMoney
02-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Ah. Anaheim hills. Very good.

Just glad to hear it wasn't some enormous industrial wherehouse, or multi-storey office building, or something.

-BJM

ishkabibble
02-11-2002, 07:50 AM
Saturday's fireworks were cancelled because of winds. Probably not a good thing to be pelted with wayward pyrotechnics...

IndianaJenn
02-11-2002, 08:09 AM
I was at DL and Saturday too. I didn't bother going to DCA because as we drove by, it looked like nothing was operating. The waterfalls weren't operating on the Matterhorn either. People must have gotten nailed by freak water blowing off the ride or something.

Dlandmom
02-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The fire was apparently in the Anaheim Hills. You could see the smoke in the sky and the ash in the air. I didn't realize it was so bad until I went to eat my 2 orange slices at breakfast and found them a bit sooty.

Did you notice that when Pat came back from watching Laughing Stock he went to take a drink of water, and I had to call his attention to the black specks in it...he almost dropped the cup!