PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Asteroid?

HorizonsA
07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, for those who have been on Space Mountain already,

*don't read if you don't want to know*

The big Red "planet-planet" looking thing is gone. When I rode it, I tried to make out what was in it's place. It's so dark that you can barely even know that there is something there. It's not square, not round, kind of has a weird poly shape. When we made the final turn before the final lift, I looked back and was able to see part of this mysterious object's silhouette. I noticed that it was spinning! For the life of me, I could not figure out what the heck this thing was. I can tell that it is huge. The only conclusion I can come to is that it is a huge astroid, meteor thing, but why do they make it so you can't see it. I mean, I had to really look to see this mysterious object.

Doug
07-12-2005, 05:03 PM
This is the same object that has always been there.... use to glow red... right now it is dark, watch, this weekend it will probably glow again.... also, is it just me, or is it far less dark in SM now? I was able to see allot....

The big Red "planet-planet" looking thing is gone. When I rode it, I tried to make out what was in it's place. It's so dark that you can barely even know that there is something there. It's not square, not round, kind of has a weird poly shape. When we made the final turn before the final lift, I looked back and was able to see part of this mysterious object's silhouette. I noticed that it was spinning! For the life of me, I could not figure out what the heck this thing was. I can tell that it is huge. The only conclusion I can come to is that it is a huge astroid, meteor thing, but why do they make it so you can't see it. I mean, I had to really look to see this mysterious object.

HorizonsA
07-12-2005, 05:10 PM
This is the same object that has always been there.... use to glow red... right now it is dark, watch, this weekend it will probably glow again.... also, is it just me, or is it far less dark in SM now? I was able to see allot....

It couldn't have been. When we came out of the 2nd lift I looked immediately to the left where the red thing is supposed to be and I'm telling you I could see right through it. Plus, the object I saw was elevated, and I could see the edges of it and it was not round, it had a more of a cookie shape to it, AND the object was spinning. And last time I remember, the red glowing thing did not spin.

Little tod
07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you! I've been trying to convince tod...

There seems to be a large rock and others branching off of it. It confused me (and made the first drop that much more exhilirating (I think I found a new goat trick.))

I do think the various patterns on the walls glow brighter, but it doesn't really impact the actual ride experience too much, IMHO. Although I barely remember Space Mountain original. Thirteen and fifteen seem much more drastically different now.

tbminnie
07-12-2005, 07:47 PM
The important question is: Did the Chips Ahoy cookie return???

DaddyB
07-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Think of a miniature Astrorbitor (without the rockets circling it), and I think you're about there.

kisroo
07-12-2005, 08:20 PM
The important question is: Did the Chips Ahoy cookie return???

This is the big question for me and mine as well!! :p

ChipmunkStar
07-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Nope.. .no Chips Ahoy.. though there was an asteroid that i thought looked suspiciously like the one that floats around in the beginning of Captain EO....

Disney Vault
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM

I keep hearing it will be lit up on the 15th when the ride officially opens.

Mark Mywords
07-13-2005, 09:07 AM
There seems to be a large rock and others branching off of it.

Boy, you folks got good eyes! Space Mountain is so dark now, I really couldn't see anything when we rode!

coronado_g
07-13-2005, 10:22 AM
It seemed dark to me, with twinkling stars everywhere. So beautiful...so beautiful! The new SM is a magnificent improvement over the past SM - it's now a premiere triple-E ticket ride!!