PDA

View Full Version : "Disney World beats the crap out of Disneyland" Horror!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Skunker
07-12-2005, 04:32 AM
Why do some people have to dog DL?

I was telling a well meaning friend about our upcoming trip to DL and she says "Why don't you go to Disneyworld, Disneyworld beats the crap out of Disneyland"
I was aghast! Such blasphemy.....ok, well, I have never been to DW, but I really don't have any desire. I feel I'd be betraying an old happy friend...

Vegitabeta
07-12-2005, 04:52 AM
WDW is great! DL is cool too but there's more to do at WDW.

Skunker
07-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Hey now...ha ha, just kidding. I am sure here is more to do at DW...but she kind of tried to rain on my DL parade, you know?

stan4d_steph
07-12-2005, 05:14 AM
Some people have the attitude that "their" park is better, and typically the argument degenerates. They both have plusses and minuses.

yellowrosedtxn
07-12-2005, 05:14 AM
I have thought a lot about going to WDW. I really like DL because it is smaller. There is still a lot to do - and if I lived in CA then I probably would get a little bored with DLR after a while and want to do "more" but at the same time, you become more intimate with the park. I kind of did that with our theme park here. You just get to know people, places and do the things you like to do over and over. I would really like to go to WDW BUT at the same time, I think I would be overwhelmed with so much to do and not doing it all and trying to drive my family more crazy than what I did with them for this past trip to DLR.

Skunker
07-12-2005, 05:28 AM
I have thought a lot about going to WDW. I really like DL because it is smaller. There is still a lot to do - and if I lived in CA then I probably would get a little bored with DLR after a while and want to do "more" but at the same time, you become more intimate with the park. I kind of did that with our theme park here. You just get to know people, places and do the things you like to do over and over. I would really like to go to WDW BUT at the same time, I think I would be overwhelmed with so much to do and not doing it all and trying to drive my family more crazy than what I did with them for this past trip to DLR.

It's funny you say that because I have thought the same thing - I would be overwhelmed with DW and not even know where to start. I guess that's why DL is so comfortable to me, I know it well and know exactly what I want to see and do. I also know exactly what I want our son to see his first time. I like what you said about being intimate with the park, that's how I feel.

fjhuerta
07-12-2005, 07:52 AM
WDW is amazing, imposing, huge and full of rides. It's a monster.

DL is smaller, a lot more personal, has a lot more character, and it's the original. It beats WDW's MK, without a doubt. And there's more to do there than in any other park in WDW.

If I had to go on a 1 week vacation, I might pick WDW, just because there's a lot more to do. But, quite frankly, I don't enjoy it as much as DL. Go figure.

AmandasDad
07-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Disneyland is such a quaint little prototype. :) :) :)

Honestly, I can't say a thing about WDW until I get back in Feb '06. But I love my Disnyeland!

PennyLane
07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I've been to both parks- both are good. But both are so different, that it isn't fair to compare the two!

Disnerd
07-12-2005, 10:12 AM
It boils down to just one thing. Disneyland is Walt's park. It's the one he got to enjoy while he was alive. We have the Matterhorn, the first tubular roller coaster in the world. And our Pirates, Small World, Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion are better! :p

Neon Cactus
07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I always run into that dilemma. So I have to go to both Disneyland and Disney World!!

Skunker
07-12-2005, 11:14 AM
What a logical solution! :D

MrsPooh
07-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I have never been to WDW, but we plan to one day. I know that no matter how much fun I have there that DL will always hold a special place in my heart.

And like Disnerd said, it is Walt's park!

arpinl
07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I've been to both parks- both are good. But both are so different, that it isn't fair to compare the two!

You are so right! I live on the east coast and made my first trip to DLR in May of this year. I enjoyed it and found some attractions (Pirates, it's a small world, Haunted Mansion) to be better at DLR and others (Tower of Terror, BTMRR) to be better at WDW.

WDW will always be more special to me, because that's the resort *I* grew up with. But I would never write off another Disney resort just because my "favorite" is so much closer to where I live--if I had thought, "Why bother?" I would have missed out on a lot of fun at DLR and DLP.

mraw
07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I disagree with the comment that DL's Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion are better. I don't like to say "better" because that's a judgement that cannot be proven one way or another, but I personally enjoy WDW's Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion much more. If the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain were given a lengthy refurbishment, it would be amazing. I like it because you get to see others zooming past you while you are riding (because of the two sides), and you see the other rocket climbing the lift hill next to you. Also, you get to see the entire structure from the TTA (and with the lights on if the ride is down and the TTA is still operational). The Haunted Mansion at WDW is longer, but both rides are identicial aside from load, unload and facade.

PragmaticIdealist
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Disneyland has the rest of beautiful southern California, and it definitely beats Orlando.

Wizard69
07-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I was telling a well meaning friend about our upcoming trip to DL and she says "Why don't you go to Disneyworld, Disneyworld beats the crap out of Disneyland"

The only reason she can say that Disney World beats the crap out of Disneyland is because they ALWAYS pour all kinds of money into DW and we don't get crap! I mean look at the 50th celebration. We get a new parade and fireworks. They get a new parade, fireworks and a new ride and show!!! WTF is up with that? It's OUR birthday. We should be getting all the new crap.. NOT THEM. Stupid Disney Company likes to pour all the money into over there and we always don't get crap. I mean in the last few years they got Mission Space, Stitch Great Escape, Philharmagic, Soarin, Lights Moteur, Action. All we got was Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and they redid Space Mountain.

It pisses me off that DL is the original park yet they like to spend the money on the other Disney parks more frequently. Yet they destroy and demolish all our rides instead of maintaining them (Peoplemover, Subs).

I understand that they have alot more room, but that isn't just a reason to keep building new stuff while our stuff gets old, unmaintained and demolished.

sleepyjeff
07-12-2005, 09:57 PM
What's the differece...........no matter which one you are in you go around with a giant grin :)

sdfilmcritic
07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Shouldn't we change the title of this to "Disneyland left at the geriatric home to rot away! Horror!"

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Disneyland has the rest of beautiful southern California, and it definitely beats Orlando.

Oh so very true!!!!

Both places have their charm but comparing the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland...Disneyland wins. I really don't like the set up for MK, we spent 2 hours there and thought we wasted our time. However WDW has Epcot which me and my hubby just love.

BayAreaDisneyFan
07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
We're in kind of a weird place on this. While we live in (Northern) California, our first Disney park visit was to DW as part of the Disney Cruise experience. This was in late September of 2001, (yes, right after 9/11) so we were essentially ALONE at DW. Walk on every ride all day long. It was very cool, but believe it or not there weren't quite ENOUGH people. For example, we went to EPCOT, and it was so deserted we got creeped out and left. It was like 11:30 am, and we came out of an attraction and literally could not lay eyes on another human! We looked at each other and said, "let's get out of here!" Had a great visit at MK and AK, then the cruise. Anyway, we got the fever, and have been frequent DL visitors ever since (three years as APs heading down two to three times per year). We have come to love DL (although my 10 yr old is actually "sick of it"), but I have a hankerin to go back to DW and check it out again. Loved AK, and never made it to MGM.

My inlaws are in South Florida, so we may pull it off in the next year or two.

From what I remember, MK and DL are extremely similar to any but the most obsessive observer. (slightly different HM & PotC, Pooh is in a different place, Country Bears, more transportation options, different castle, etc.)

Disney Vault
07-12-2005, 11:58 PM
I really recommed going to both at least once. They are totally different experiences. While Disneyland is the most amazing park ever imo. But WDW as a whole is just amazing.

Neon Cactus
07-13-2005, 09:58 AM
I like Disneyland as a park better than the Magic Kingdom. Besides being the original, it has the Matterhorn, Storybook Land, Alice, Casey Jr., Mr. Toad, and the better Pirates.

But the restaurants at WDW blow Disneyland away. The variety and quality are outstanding. The Adventurer's Club is completely unique. I could spend an entire day in World Showcase at EPCOT. Rock N Roller Coaster and Kilimanjaro Safaris are outstanding. For a longer, overall experience it's hard to top Disney World.

They're just two different experiences. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. And completely enjoyable.

hefferdude
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
We live on the CA central coast. We go to DL 3-4X yr. We have been to WDW 2X and had a great time. My only criticism of WDW was we got the impression of just being part of a herd of cattle. Maybe being more familiar with DL we expect less. Don't know but the WDW feeling was expressed by most of our family.

The Genii
07-13-2005, 11:09 AM
It matters not that Disneyland is "Walt's Park."
What matters, as they have quite rightly pointed out on the D-Troops website, is that the folks who run Disneyland are interested in maintaining some of their heritage, while the folks who run Disney World are not. The evolution of Main Street in WDW, where all the individual shops have all been swallowed into an anonymous whole like a shopping mall, is a perfect example. This has not happened at Disneyland, and there are folks in power who won't let it happen.