PDA

View Full Version : Concierge Level

Pages : [1] 2

yellowrosedtxn
07-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Ok, I just got back from Disneyland and I am planning another trip. I am wondering if getting concierge level (at any of the hotels) is worth doing. What kinds of foods do you get there? or is it better to just get cereal or something at one of the coffee shops? Are they available all day?

hlbtimes2
07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
I stated this before, but I'll say it again. I think it depends on what's important to you. Will paying the hotel about $100-150 a day save you money? Probably not. Maybe if you have 5 people who would all order from the adult menu at breakfast, and need numerous drinks and snacks through out the day.

But what you have to add in there is the extra services, etc. Would having extra service in your room (turn down, etc) make your trip feel more special? Would you get use out of the DVD's you can borrow and take to your room? Would you enjoy the evening snacks/ beer/ wine?

We are doing conc. for our up coming trip. We had our choice when we booked- for about the same price we could have a regular (cheapest) room at GC or a conc. room with a theme park view at PP. We choose PP (we wanted PP or DLH with out conc but it was sold out for our dates). I figured the breakfast, drinks and snacks during the day would add up to savings for us. The extra pampering we'll get will make it an extra special vacation. We've never stayed on site before, so we are super excited.

hlbtimes2
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Are they available all day?

Forgot to answer this part. Its my understanding that breakfast is available for a few hours each morning. Between then and the evening wine/ beer service you can get drinks (pop, water, juice) and snacks (fruit, cookies, etc). You are free to take drinks and snacks with you to the park or to your room. I think they allow you to take one or two drinks per person at a time. There is a really good review somewhere here at MP. I'll look and see if I can find it.

yellowrosedtxn
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
It isn't so much that I am worried about the price, I was thinking more about would it be worth the money as far as breakfasts would go. I am not a beer or wine drinker so the evening drinks wouldn't do much for me, but do they have sodas and water? For breakfast do they just have toast/rolls and things like that or do they also have cereal? That is more what I am looking for answers about. I think the turn down service would be great; I wouldn't really be interested in borrowing the DVD's.

****EDIT****

Thanks... If that is the case, then I will probably stay concierge level.

hlbtimes2
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/concierge.htm)

This link has some good info about it. If you are just looking to save money on breakfast is probably not worth it. Its cereal, pastries, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruit, juice, milk. Which is a pretty good spread, but for $100-$150 a day you could eat else where for less then that. It really is a whole package of stuff that makes it worth it- but its not for money savings.

yellowrosedtxn
07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the link. I am going to print it out and look it over. Then I will decide if I want to do it or not. I am so wishy washy. hahahah Let me know how your trip goes. I would love to hear how it all goes for you.

hlbtimes2
07-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I was pretty wishy washy as well. I spent months pricing the trip and trying to decide. My poor husband got so sick of listening to me. I've never had the money to splurge like we are this time. I'm sure I'll do a big trip report when I come back. And probably some reviews as well.

ima_mickeyfan
07-11-2005, 01:03 PM
one note on that report/review, Since I think it's alittle out dated....Consierge service is no longer part of the Suite pkg. that is an additional fee. you can request the consierge at the time of booking or see if they have any availabilty at check in..

dlfanshl
07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
We have stayed onsite for the past ten years. Two years we splurged for the conceirge service- we stay for a week so it really adds up. I have to say that those were the only two years I returned home with money. In my opinion the convenience and savings for beverages are worth it. I recently read that they have added a hot appetizer at night and after dinner drinks. One of my favorite parts is turn dowen service and replenishment of fresh towels. The DLH lounge is a great place to view fireworks they turn the lights down and pipe in the music.

Shel :) :) :)

Dom262
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
My wife and I stayed at GCH for May 5th. We stayed on the Concierge Floor and we absolutely loved it. We are not heavy drinkers just as yourself, but there is something there almost all the time. They have sodas, water, juices, snacks, etc.... They even went out of the way to get my wife some special K for breakfast.

We liked the turn-down service and I enjoyed the seperate check-in rather then going through the main.

We will do it again.

sierranevada
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I recently read that they have added a hot appetizer at night and after dinner drinks.

Yes, they have added hot appetizers and after dinner drinks. I have done concierge at both DLH & GCH. I have heard the PPH sometimes has sushi (from Yamabuki) - can't confirm since I have not done concierge there.

We don't do it every trip but it does add a certain something to the trips that we do! Certainly, less water to carry ourselves!

Gilliegrl
07-24-2005, 09:29 AM
We used it last year and I was hesitant at first because of the cost. We are a family of 4 with two children under 7. I loved it. They had just started the hot appetizer which actually turned into a meal. You can take food and drinks back to your room. We always stocked up on water and juice after breakfast as well. While you may be able to eat for less at breakfast somewhere else I think if you have a family it does balance out or even saves you money. We used the dvds as well. It was nice to be able to come back for a break. I like all the special treats too like turn down, rice krispy mickey ears or strawberrys in chocolate left in your room. We are headed there next week for a 5 day visit I cant wait.

tinksmom
07-24-2005, 09:35 AM
I've never done concierge at Disney. I've done concierge at other high end hotels, and this the rule that I follow:

I only pay concierge if the cost is similar to that of a simple breakfast for the three of us each day. The reason is simple; after a few days, we get tired of the concierge offerings, especially the evening ones. We also like to eat on our schedule, not the lounge schedule.

So for us, concierge at Disney just isn't worth it. Hope this helps.

SCUBAbe
07-24-2005, 09:45 AM
I've never done concierge at DL. It's just not worth it to me. GCH has a turn down service anyway and they leave mints on your pillow and although it was a nice surprise it isn't neccesary to make my trip special. It takes me 2 seconds to turn my bed down and we did not even eat the mints. It's usually just my daughter and I who go so even if we eat in the park for breakfast it's only about $25.00. We would not watch DVD's...actually since I read more about that service in this thread I'm really glad we never purchased it...:)

kohl
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
If you are staying at any of the hotels for 5 nights, can you do concierge maybe 2 or 3 nights, then regular rooms the rest, or do you have to check out, then in again?

dsny1mom
07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Here is a current (as of 7/1805) rundown of the foods available at DLH concierge lounge:

Breakfast 7am-10am

Fruits: cantalope, watermelon, pineapple, guava, grapes (red or green daily) bananas and apples

Pastries: cherry, apple, cinamom, rasberry, cheese and plain dainishes

Muffins: Blueberry and rasin bran

Crousants: Plain and chocolate

Bagles: plain and asst. (cream cheese, honey and butter available)

Cold Cereals: Sugar pops, rice krispies, fruit loops, frosted flakes, rasin bran and frosted miniwheats

Beverages: Milk, fresh OJ, coffie (reg and decafe), teas ( asst of 6 varities), hot chocolate apple juice, bottled water, coke, diet coke, and sprite.

Afternoon snacks: 10am till 5pm

Chips and salsa

Potato chips, barbeque chips, nacho chips, and pretzles (all in individual bags)

Fruit: Apples and bananas

Sweets: Brownies, giant chocolate chip cookies (HUGE the size of a large dessert plate) and creme puffs

Bererages: Same as above but no milk or OJ

Hor d'oeu-vre's : 5pm-7pm

Asst cheese and crackers (along with candied pineapple, candied pecans and canidied cranberries)

Veggies (cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, celery, red pepers. green pepers, and something that was white and sweet that I've never seen before) and dip (Ranch that is the best I have ever had)

Hot items 1 per night rotating between Chicken Espanada with dipping sauce, Pepperoni pizzas, Goat cheese won tons with rasberry dipping sauce and one other chicken item (can't remember it) with a mint pesto dipping sauce.

Fruits: Apples and bananas

Sweets: Usually one of the three items is out

Beverages: Same as above plus 4 different wines and 2 beers

(there might have been more liquor selections but I didn't ask for anything and didn't see anything else)

Bedtime snacks 7pm- 10pm

Brownies, giant chocolate chip cookies and creme puffs

Fruits: Apples and bananas

Beverages: Same as above sans alchohol, milk and OJ

Hope this helps anyone who wanted top know exactly what is currently being offered.

dsny1mom

SCUBAbe
07-24-2005, 06:13 PM
^^
thank you. Now I knoe I didn't miss anything...LOL...I bunch of fattening foos...well, except for the fruit...which I wouldn't spend an extra $100.00 on. :)

dlfanshl
07-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Thank you Dsny1mom for the post. We will arrive to the resort next week and read your post to everyone at the beach house. The kids and adults are even more excited about our concierge stay. We have reserved a two bedroom suite with our best friends for a one week stay. In our case it is a great deal, concierge service is an additional charge per suite not per family.
Thanks again, Shel :)

Shadowcat
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Are family is thinking about staying at the DLH concierge level and priced it out at the official Disney site. for 4 nights, adding the Concierge option was an additional $780! That's nearly $200 a day! While the service was appealing at the previous prices I saw others list per day, That's just too much. Any any why they seemed to have gone up? (the 4 night stay is during the week, in the middle of May, incase that helps any).

dsny1mom
08-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Are family is thinking about staying at the DLH concierge level and priced it out at the official Disney site. for 4 nights, adding the Concierge option was an additional $780! That's nearly $200 a day! While the service was appealing at the previous prices I saw others list per day, That's just too much. Any any why they seemed to have gone up? (the 4 night stay is during the week, in the middle of May, incase that helps any).

I'm not sure. Did you try calling DLH to see what they say the per day price is? It was $125 a day when we stayed last month. Perhaps $195 per day is what the 2006 price will be.

I guess I'm *not* surprised if the price did go up. DLR hotels have been trying to curb the abuse that has been going on with some guests and concierge services but last I heard they hadn't been able to stop it. So maybe upping the price is their attempt to get those that abuse the service to stop, or to try and recoup what their losses are..

I would much rather see a per person price than a general upping of the price. Sadly they haven't been able to figure out a way to enforce a per person charge so they have been reluctent to try it.

If they took that $125 price per room and turned it into a $31.25 charge per person per day rate that would be a reasonable price to pay for the service and then people who jam 10 people into their room would actually be paying for their entire party to have conceirge as oppossed to a party of 2 picking up the slack.

Actually IMHO, if they did up the price then they are encouraging more abuse of the system, as people will try to cram even more people into their rooms or invite more rooms of guests not paying for conceirge to join them in the lounge to absorb the cost.

Oh... one last thing...When I typed out the offerings I forgot to mention that during afternoon and evening snacks they also have a basket of PB&J Uncrustables set out. My 19 yr old got hooked on them last month and I had a heck of a time finding them at our local market as I had no idea they were in the frozen food cases!

Yes scuba, just one more *unhealthy* item you don't have to worry about every eating.;)

dsny1mom

08-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Maybe this is obvious but here goes ...

Sometimes it's not a question of monetary value but of saving your neck.

Let's say you're traveling with a grandparent who tires easily. Or a differently-abled person who can handle one restaurant a day, tops. Or a person with any chronic condition who may or may not be up to the parks. Or ... well, the list goes on and on. Concierge would make life so much simpler.

Just a thought.

TowerofTerror
08-23-2005, 06:07 AM
It`s only available for a few hours.It`s no for the whole day.It`s usually coffee and donuts

infinite
08-23-2005, 06:53 AM
We use concierge service at the Grand Californian on our trips, and we prefer it. The ease of check in alone is almost worth it (tee hee).

We have never been in the lounge when there wasn’t’ something in it (snacks of some sort) Breakfast consisted of cereals, pastries, tea, coffee, juice and a few hot items (I don’t remember what they were, I didn’t eat them). After noon snacks included, Mickey shaped scones, chocolate covered strawberries, small sandwiches, veggies and dip, sodas, that sort of thing. We never did the evening snacks, if we were back I the room by then, and were hungry we just ordered room service (very good, by the way).
In addition to ease of check in and snacks, there are the DVD’s, and they make reservations for you at shows and restaurants.

I do have ONE questions. Did others on the concierge level have DVD player in their rooms already, or did they need to ask for them? We never did and ended up playing the DVD’s on the laptop because there wasn’t a payer, which is fine, I am just wondering. Also we have never had 6-floor concierge rooms, we have always ended up on the 5th floor. This time it LOOKS like we might be on the 4th, I say this only because our reservation confirmation says concierge level-4. It may not mean that, though.

Sorry to venture off topic. Is it worth it, to us yes, because we are on vacation, and vacation is all about being spoiled and carefree…ha ha ha.

hookem59
08-23-2005, 08:04 AM
This time it LOOKS like we might be on the 4th, I say this only because our reservation confirmation says concierge level-4. It may not mean that, though.

Mine (for Paradise Pier) also say concierge level-4, but I believe that refers to the 4th night free rate. I say that because I don't think the PP has any concierge level rooms on the fourth floor.

We'll be there next week, and we opted for concierge specifically for some of the reasons 3894 mentioned above, plus the fact that there are a couple of hearty eaters in our party of 6. I figure that if we all eat breakfast every morning, do the wine and cheese thing one or two nights, and grab a couple of bottles of water or soda every time we go by, we'll at least break even. And, because we're staying on a fourth night free rate, the additional cost for concierge wasn't as high as during the busy season.

hlbtimes2
08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Mine (for Paradise Pier) also say concierge level-4, but I believe that refers to the 4th night free rate. I say that because I don't think the PP has any concierge level rooms on the fourth floor.

We'll be there next week, and we opted for concierge specifically for some of the reasons 3894 mentioned above, plus the fact that there are a couple of hearty eaters in our party of 6. I figure that if we all eat breakfast every morning, do the wine and cheese thing one or two nights, and grab a couple of bottles of water or soda every time we go by, we'll at least break even. And, because we're staying on a fourth night free rate, the additional cost for concierge wasn't as high as during the busy season.

Please give us a trip report when you come back! We are staying conc. level at PP in Oct. I would love to know what to expect.