PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experiences with First Aid in the park?

stitchlvr
07-09-2005, 09:28 PM
I had a first this trip- a visit to First Aid in DCA. I got run over by a wheelchair on the way to Fantasmic, and didn't think anything of it until it started swelling the next day (after walking around half the day- I'm sure that didn't help it). Anyway, I bought an ace bandage (at the gift shop at the hotel) and went to First Aid in DCA to get help in wrapping it (couldn't miss out on the fun). It was interesting, for liability reasons (I assume), even though there are medical personnel there, they could give me an ice pack and let me lie down to elevate my ankle. The nurse could tell me how to wrap my ankle, but couldn't help me do it. A man had a minor cut and was bleeding and another nurse was advising the woman who was with him how to clean it. It just seemed so funny to me. I suppose if there were a real emergency they would call the paramedics to intervene, but they were not allowed to. The people there were very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could. Kind of a sad statement of where our litigious society has taken us. Anyone else had these kinds of experiences?

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Its not only Disney but all other parks. At Sea World a couple of years ago, I got a cut and they instructed me how to clean it and bandage it up.

stitchlvr
07-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it's everywhere. Fear of lawsuits, I'm sure. I guess I never really thought about it before I had this experience. It kind of caught me by surprise. I think it's completely understandable, but sad too.

CoasterChickie
07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
My daughter had a bad cut on her knee that she had gotten before our trip, but it opened up during our trip and was bleeding quite a bit so we took her to First Aid. They were very nice and gave us the option of cleaning it and bandaging it ourselves or letting them do it. We chose to do it ourselves, but thanked them for giving us the supplies and making it a pleasant visit. I guess our expectations weren't that high as it was just a minor cut, but I'm sure they would have done more had it been an emergency.

GrumpyUTboi
07-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I had a pounding headache and the lovely nurse took great care of me. She gave me some Tylenol and and water and sent me on my way. I can see how they would be afraid of lawsuits, especially in CA, my best friends brother is there in CA as an attorney and he is a malpractice lawyer.

Wendi
07-10-2005, 08:57 AM
My son got rotovirus on his first trip to Disneyland... he was 8 months old, probably got it on the plane ride getting there because it appeared on the last day of our 3 or 4 day trip. They gave us Tylenol for him, let us sit in a nice cool room as long as we wanted so he could nurse and lay down and keep comfortable. The nurses were awesome and very helpful.

I went on Max's second trip to see if they had earplugs available, they didn't but they offered cotton for his ears which worked fine (he doesn't like sudden, loud noises so a lot of rides bothered him - fireworks too).

I stopped in on my last trip to halt a headache that was coming on... they gave me a choice of Tylenol, Ibuprofin, or aspirin. As much cold water as I wanted, and a place to sit if I wanted to stay for a while (which I didn't).

They also have sunblock in case you forget it...

stitchlvr
07-10-2005, 09:22 AM
My daughter had a bad cut on her knee that she had gotten before our trip, but it opened up during our trip and was bleeding quite a bit so we took her to First Aid. They were very nice and gave us the option of cleaning it and bandaging it ourselves or letting them do it. We chose to do it ourselves, but thanked them for giving us the supplies and making it a pleasant visit. I guess our expectations weren't that high as it was just a minor cut, but I'm sure they would have done more had it been an emergency.

I'm actually glad to hear that they offered to clean and bandage the cut for you. This is what felt so sad to me. The nurse who was helping me was great. I felt like she wanted to help me wrap it. She apologized and said they were not allowed to wrap. I understand why they have the policy and the people there were wonderful. It's just another one of those situations in the world that makes me feel like, "How did we get to this point?"

mcow1
07-10-2005, 09:28 AM
When my son was little he cut his hand badly and they took him to a local hospital for treatment. All at their cost.

hlbtimes2
07-10-2005, 09:49 AM
When went to first aid when my dd was almost 2. It was our first day in the park and her nose was running really bad. She was cutting 2 year molars and miserable. They told us where we could get some allergy medicine at one of the stores in the park. They gave us a medical measuring spoon, and told us what dosage would work for her. They sent us on our way with a Minnie tooth brush, some Disney band-aides and some Nurse Minnie stickers. I thought under the circumstances the care was great.

tod
07-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Years ago, when I was working at the Hotel, I was in the Cast Cafe holding a cup of coffee when a guy backed into me and I spoilled hot coffee all over my arm.

I said something very un-Disney-like and ran to the coffee bar, where I grabbed a handful of ice and applied it to the injury. It wasn't enough, and I asked if there was a First Aid station at the Hotel. They said no, but sent me to Security, where they called First Aid inside the Park. First Aid sent a car over for me, and I went to First Aid at Disneyland, which has entrances at both the Onstage and Backstage sides.

The nurses there put my arm in ice, put some ointment on my burn, bandaged it, told me how to take care of it, and sent me on my way.

Not being a Disneyland Cast Member, I wasn't sure which gate I should use to get onstage. I took what I thought was the gate that came out by the Space Montain exit. I figured cut across Tomorrowland, over to the Monorail, back to the Hotel, no sweat.

Unfortunately, the gate was the one between the Plaza Inn and Star Tours, right in the middle of the Park. And there I am, in a tie and nametag and it's about 95 degrees.

The Guests spotted me at once.

"Excuse me, sir, where's the nearest restroom?"

[Point with two fingers] "Right over there."

"Would you take a picture of my wife and I in front of the Castle?"

"Sure... Push this button? Okay, get in focus, now... One, two... There you go."

"Thank you."

"My pleasure. Enjoy your stay with us today."

I finally made my way around the Matterhorn to the Monorail. Now, I'm a small-d democrat, I don't believe in barging to the front of the line just because I work here, I'll take my turn same as everyone else.

I thought this right up until I saw the line for the Monorail stretching all the way to the Fantasyland Autopia. I walk right up to the front of the line and lean forward with my left shoulder, the better to show off my nametag.

"Got room for one more?"

"Sure. Please let this gentleman through..."

The crowd parts and I get on the Monorail back to the Hotel.

And that's my First Aid story. As a CM, I suppose they didn't have the same liability problems they would with a guest, and it was 10 or so years ago.

--t

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Tod, your post brought some memories back for me. My first job at the park, I worked in foods and I brushed one of the heat lamps while attempting while attempting to grab a piece of lasagna for a guest. At first it didnt' hurt and then after 10 min its really started to burn. They sent me over to CFA but all they did was give me an ice pack. After 2 hours, the nurse told me that if it still continued to bother me then go to the hospital (but it did still bother me) but she said she couldn't do anything because it didn't blister. I think the nurses were a little short with the CMs that night because all injuries that night were CMs and not guests. A handful of us sat there comparing injury stories but the worst injury was an ODV CM who accidentally ran his foot over with a cart. He was sent to the hospital and ended up having a cast on his foot.

coronado_g
07-10-2005, 11:10 AM
True story: During my childhood, I was injured twice (on two separate occassions) at Disneyland. The first time was on the Flying Saucers, where my finger was severely pinched and I ended up with a painful blood blister. Then 2nd time was on the old Autopia, where a juvenile delinquent plowed into the back of my car. Each time I conferred with my sister and we agreed it was best NOT to tell - for fear our grandparents WOULD TAKE US HOME! Being kids, that was the worst thing that could happen - leaving DL before it closed!

potzbie
07-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I use the nurse's station about an average of once per year, in both DL and DCA, always for aspirin for a headache.
Some days, I do take advantage of the ability to lie down (but not fall asleep) on the hottest, more-tiring afternoons, or when my feet have just had it.
Last week, indeed, at DCA, I saw a mommy do the cleansing thing and Neosporin thing.
At the time, I did not think about why the mother was doing the "nursing."

For that matter, I remember visiting Universal Studios Hollywood's nurse station.
(Holy cow! I might be the most experienced first-aid visitor on this bulletin board!)
:(

Shortiemetoo
07-10-2005, 03:48 PM
My daughter was on a trip with her jr. high band during magic music days. They performed and were changed and having fun in the park when a lady with a stoller ran her down...she hurt her ankle when she fell. They brought her to first aid...the nurses thought her ankle was broken, and told me they could send her to the hospital there or send her home with one family that was leaving an hour later and be driven home in the back of their SUV. Well Rachel wanted to stay and ride the bus with all her friends and get pushed ina wheelchair by them the rest of the day (she is truly my daughter! Never give up!!) But the nurses at first aid said she had to "go to the hospital or go home" so home she came...I don't think she ever forgave the nurses there for making her leave.. ;)
Turned out that her ankle was severely sprained...not broken and she had some nice crutches to remind her of the experience for quite some time!!
I also got run over by a stoller in Toon Town while waiting for the jolley trolley to go by. Doh...I didn't even think of going to first aid...I just limped around the rest of the day...then drove back to sacramento in a car with a stick!!! When I got home I had thigh ankles they were so big!! I was in moon boots for two weeks...lol

stitchlvr
07-10-2005, 05:19 PM
My experience was similar. Although it hurt at the time, I only thought about for a couple of minutes. It wasn't until much later that I had to stop and deal with the ankle. I'm pretty sure it's because of all of the walking around after the injury. It was pretty swollen for a couple of days, but I'm fine now. No damage done. I was just worried about having to slow down our last day at the park. The ice pack and the bandage allowed me to function just fine, even if it was at a slower speed. My 8 yr. old DD sounds a lot like yours. She would be really upset if she had to leave the park early.

Micki0624
07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
I had an experience with the first aid in DL that was very positive. I had a massive ache in my tailbone where it hurt to walk and to sit. I had gone there in an act of desperation. I thought with the amount of pain I was in I needed hospital information. They provided me with a number of a non emergency medical transport that pick me up at DL. When I got to the hospital I found out I had a cyst and needed minor surgery to drain it. The ladies at the first aid were very kind and attentive and if it were not for them it would have turned out to be a horrible trip.

Mark Mywords
07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Disneyland first-aid is awesome! The people there are so helpful.

It seems like every year during our summer trip, one of the kids is on antibiotics which need to be refrigerated. It's so nice that they offer that at first-aid. One of the kind folks there even reminded us that our son would need extra sunscreen and glasses because the antibiotic would make him photosensitive.

Colin
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Real helpful when I visited, I had some bad sun burn and they gave me some 'un-burn' to help ease my pain. Very good Service.

Strangely in Paris they dont seem to have the same ties, in fact they actually have an emergency medial team that have even apparently been trained to crack someones chest open before the paramedics can arrive, amazing how it varies just across the pond huh?

C°o°lin

Chadsgal
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I used it once. At the hotel I was ironing my shirt and I leaned over my ironing board to unplug it and had the iron fall on my back and I couldn't reach it so I had to move to slide it off and I had a very nice burn and by the time we got to the park it was really hurting. So I went to first aid and that bandaged me up and gave me some extras for the rest of the trip. :)

sdfilmcritic
07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Whenever I needed Tylenol or something they were kind to let me have some for free to relieve my headache.