PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing to happen to you at the Grand Californian

Pages : [1] 2

CrazyMouse
07-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi folks! Now I know Grand Californian hotel is a great hotel by my past thread. But now I would like to know what are some bad experiences did you have while you were at the hotel.. Thanks everyone. ;)

biolabetty
07-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I have had one bad experience at GCH unfortunately. My daughter and I walked into the room when we were told it was ready, only to find a housekeeper still working. She left, but she should have stayed. The bathroom and sink area smelled very strongly of vomit, and when we went out to the balcony to see our "view", the balcony was covered with cigarette butts, and the adjacent rooftop was full of trash. We called housekeeping to come and take care of it, and they were very timely, so we left to go to the park. We took a wrong turn in the corridor, and came back past our room, only to see the housekeeper leaving, it had been less than 1 minute since we had left and she had arrived.

We went back into our room, and now the room smelled of very strong cleaner and vomit, and nothing had been done about the balcony area. We went down to the desk to request a room change, and were taken care of with no problem. Our next room was in exactly the same place, but 2 floors up. Never again will we stay below the 5th floor, and never again in the section of hotel that enters near Napa Rose. It really made me not want to stay there again, but we did, and had a very good experience. Unfortunately that had been my daughter's first time at the GCH and she didn't come away with a very positive feeling about the place.

10-97
07-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I only had one minor problem during our first stay at GCH: I'm a light sleeper, and I was awakened at about 4:30 am by whoever it was that put the morning newspapers outside of the doors. He must have been dropping them from about waist-level, because every paper hit the floor with a loud thud.

I was amazed at how much noise came into the room from the hallway. Then I realized that there was a big gap at the bottom of the door. I looks like this is the case with every room. I don't know if this is due to a building code, or if it simply cheaper to install and maintain.

The next night I used one of our wet bath towels to cover the gap below the door, and I didn't hear any noise from the hallway.

Darkbeer
07-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Here is the link to the reviews of the GCH here at MousePlanet...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrgc

The Bad:It took 3 phone calls and finally a personal trip to guest services (and a little over 90minutes) to get a box of kleenex. Everyday after returning mid-afternoon from the parks, we found our rooms had not been made up (despite the sign on door asking for maid service). This took another barage of phone calls to simply have the linens changed so we could shower for the evening. (We never did have the sheets changed during our 3 day stay). All in all, not an expirence I wish to repeat. So, I don't think I'll ever stay at the Grand Californian again...and I'm making sure to share this story with all my friends.

The Bad: Upon entering our room we of course had to open the drapes and doors and go out onto the balcony, where our noses were assaulted with a very foul smell which we soon realized came from a bag full of dirty diapers. We called housekeeping who arrived shortly to take it all away. When we returned that night we had turn down service (which was good), but our bedspread had either 1) chocolate (most likely) or 2) coffee or maybe even 3) blood on it. In any case, the underside was quite dirty, so we called down and maybe 20 minutes later we got a clean one. All this I probably would have taken in stride, but I awoke early and thought, hey, I'll take a bath and relax, then get us organized. When I went into the tub I at first thought there were stains from a smoker on the bottom of the tub. I ran some water and dropped some shampoo on it and rubbed my finger across it...gross....gross...gross. I'll assume it, too, had something to do with a baby. It also was the end of my tolerance so after a quick shower I took it up with the manager, who took $$ off our bill and offered to change rooms for us. I just said I wanted a CLEAN room, and our room WAS clean when we came back that night.
Would I stay there again??? Well...yes, if we got a really good deal. The location couldn't be beat, and every other level of service was great. I think they were "rushing" our room, which wasn't really needed, and they did respond when I spoke with a manager. But next time, I'd inspect the room BEFORE I unpacked! Also, we'll consider the Candy Cane Inn next time, as it's location seemed to be about the same (minus the entry into DCA!) Hope this helps you with your decision!

Eye stunning in side and front door. But dont let that fool you. DON"T PAY THE PRICE!! Not kid friendly. More for adults! We had one nice bell hop. The rest needed some people skills. When you go to check in there is no real line or sign. So we went up to the check in persons and they tell you there is a line and you need to wait. So a lady grabs us and shows us a pole where there is NO ONE ELSE! so we stand there and 2 seconds latter that person calls us over. DUH??? Well we are checking in and the person goes in to this office and we notice that they all do this? They stay in there for 5-10 minutes. They come out and hand you a key. WOW I think they had to make the key. So after our 15 minute walk to our room it was no better then the Holiday Inn. Bad View! Oh If you don't vallet park you get dirty looks and you have to park accross the street. Another 20 minute walk back to the hotel. You do more walking then anything. We will never stay there again!!!!!

And check out the reviews from TripAdvisor, 6 of the last 20 reviews have been negative...:eek:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29092-d208755-r3632183-Disney_s_Grand_Californian_Hotel-Anaheim_California.html

IMHO, the GCH is not worth the price they charge, if you are looking for something on property, the Disneyland Hotel is the favorite of the 3 hotels based on the MousePlanet raitings. If you are looking for High End, check out the Hyatt in Garden Grove, or the Hilton next to the Convention Center. You can usually find a rate of $100 or so. Travelaxe.com is a great way to check rates and find deals.

If not, the HoJo's is a favorite (won the best hotel for 2004 here at MousePlanet), and you can get a great discount by going over to MouseSavers.com and using their special discount link. Other popular hotels include the Candy Cane Inn....

pisces
07-09-2005, 11:53 AM
1) My bathtub drain would not work. That beautiful bathtub.....and I could not take a bath.

I asked several times for a plumber. Nothing. In all fairness, it was NYE, and the likelihood of a plumber being available is slim.

I really should have had some money taken off my bill for that; however, I'd already had rate adjustments downward so.....

2) Also, I wasn't thrilled with the maids. When they'd do the turndown service they'd turn down the sofa bed unnecessarily. And, i'd have to put it up (I didn't want the eyesore of a sofa bed, extended, to wreck my beautiful room.

That was an inconvience.

3) I did NOT want to see the daily newspaper delivered to my door. I specifically tried to waive off that nuisance. When I'm on vacation, I want to shut the outside world out. Especially, with gory headlines about the Tsunami everday. I really didn't need to see that, and there was no way to stop delivery---not to mention that's part of the ridiculous $11.00 resort charge.

4) The GC isn't really as quiet as everyone says. The sound of the pianist in the Great Hall carrys up into the rooms that surround the Great Hall. Also, the music from Grizzly Peak wafts up to those rooms directly below Grizzly Peak.

5) The Acorn Gift Shop is inadequate. For one thing, they don't have normal sundry items, and they close up at 10:00 pm, even during a Holiday week !!! That, and Whitewater Snacks closed up at 10:00 pm........even when Main Street is staying open till 1:00 am ???? That made no sense to me !

phoenixfire2k5
07-09-2005, 11:53 AM
IMHO, the GCH is not worth the price they charge, if you are looking for something on property, the Disneyland Hotel is the favorite of the 3 hotels based on the MousePlanet raitings. If you are looking for High End, check out the Hyatt in Garden Grove, or the Hilton next to the Convention Center. You can usually find a rate of $100 or so. Travelaxe.com is a great way to check rates and find deals.

If not, the HoJo's is a favorite (won the best hotel for 2004 here at MousePlanet), and you can get a great discount by going over to MouseSavers.com and using their special discount link. Other popular hotels include the Candy Cane Inn....

Travelaxe eh? Hmm, I might just have to check that out. Add it to my already growing list of Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, and Hotels.com. Thanks again, Dark. :fez:

Darkbeer
07-09-2005, 12:04 PM
http://www.travelaxe.com/NewSite/Information_Overview.asp

Travelaxe searches major travel websites plus many more including InterContinental Hotels Group, TripReservations, Lodging.com, etc., for hotel rates in 3538 cities from 106 different countries. Prices are compared side-by-side, with the cheapest prices highlighted.

Great tool, its free (they make money if you use them to book, they get the "travel agent" commission), and a great place to start planning. You can see the market for the particular days you are going....

EeyoreAdorer
07-09-2005, 12:19 PM
It's too bad that there were so many bad experiences at the GCH. I've stayed there twice, once with a Theme park view overlooking the GRR and the other with a standard view.

The Theme park view room was right over the Monorail track and initially I was annoyed. However, in the mornings when I went out on the balcony with my coffee, listened to the sounds of DCA waking up and had the Monorail drivers greeting me with a wave, it turned out to not be so bad after all.

It would be nice, though, if there was someplace open to get a cup of real coffee or a latte, after a long day at the park. Compass bookstore is just too long of a walk at that point.

Luckily, I've never had any "bad" experiences there. The room was always clean and the beds were very comfortable. My daughter has scoliosis and she said the beds were great for her back.

We're going back there again this August. I hope our luck keeps up.

CrazyTrain
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
I lost my special sunglasses there and they weren't turned in :(

phoenixfire2k5
07-09-2005, 12:24 PM
I lost my special sunglasses there and they weren't turned in :(

Thats because unfortunately, there are too many dishonest people in this world. I lost my cellphone and pager a few years back on the tram and no one turned them in.

CrazyMouse
07-09-2005, 12:39 PM
It's too bad that there were so many bad experiences at the GCH. I've stayed there twice, once with a Theme park view overlooking the GRR and the other with a standard view.

The Theme park view room was right over the Monorail track and initially I was annoyed. However, in the mornings when I went out on the balcony with my coffee, listened to the sounds of DCA waking up and had the Monorail drivers greeting me with a wave, it turned out to not be so bad after all.

It would be nice, though, if there was someplace open to get a cup of real coffee or a latte, after a long day at the park. Compass bookstore is just too long of a walk at that point.

Luckily, I've never had any "bad" experiences there. The room was always clean and the beds were very comfortable. My daughter has scoliosis and she said the beds were great for her back.

We're going back there again this August. I hope our luck keeps up.

Yeah, I hope your luck runs with me too! I'll be there in August too! It will be my first time!

EeyoreAdorer
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I hope your luck runs with me too! I'll be there in August too! It will be my first time!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us!! :)

CrazyTrain
07-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Thats because unfortunately, there are too many dishonest people in this world. I lost my cellphone and pager a few years back on the tram and no one turned them in.

Except that these are the magnetic kind that attach onto my glasses. They're useless if you have a different kind of frame. That's what I don't get. :confused:

P.S. Dishonest people suck! :p

pisces
07-09-2005, 01:01 PM
For me, I never expected perfection anyway.

I'd been reading reports, reviews, and this site, for a year before I ever stayed there.

Disneyland is just plain expensive, no matter where you go on the property. I think it's ridiculous that a 4-day park hopper costs $159.00.

So, it's not that shocking the rates GC charges. The fact is, no matter where you stay in Anaheim, you'll pay 15% sales tax :eek: . It's not just GC.

You know what I always say....don't fault enterprise. If GC can fill rooms at the rates they charge......more power to 'em. If I'm able to come up with the money they want, I'll stay there. If not, I'll stay where ever I have money for. It's that simple. And, in fact, they are willing to adjust the rates depending on business....I saw that first hand the week of the Tsunami and rains.

I just don't understand why they are making you go off-property to find a 24-hour drugstore with pharmacy-sundry items. I'd think they'd want to keep the dollars on the premises. So, that's not smart business IMHO !

Disney Vault
07-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I hate how they don't have roll out beds. They just give you a matt and a sleeping bag. But I guess it stays with the theme that way but I didn't like that. I would expect more from such a great hotel.

tinksmom
07-09-2005, 01:39 PM
I was taking a bath and the maid walked right into the bathroom.

I'm not sure if it was a worse experience for me or for her. . .

phoenixfire2k5
07-09-2005, 01:40 PM

LOL!

Wendi
07-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I've had very good stays at GCH... so here is my worst...

On our last visit, the shower temperature kept going up and down... weird! Pretty good for the worst thing, huh?

Oh, and we requested a fridge and when we got back to our room, there were two. Really bad, eh?

That's it for me.

CrazyMouse
07-09-2005, 02:18 PM

hahahahahaha. lol!

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-09-2005, 02:49 PM
If I stay on property, I prefer the Disneyland Hotel. GCH is supposed to be the "high end" hotel of the three but I think otherwise. I just wasn't all too happy about the room we got although I thought the bunkbed and the trundle was kinda cool for the kids. However, the bed didn't seem all too comfortable compared to the Disneyland Hotel. Also a corner room at the DH was cheaper for us than a regular room at GCH.

Opus1guy
07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Valet Parking lost our entire set of keys. Car keys. House keys. Office keys. The lot.

Funny thing was that VP of Disneyland Resort Hotels Tony Bruno had walked us out to say goodbye to us. Quite embarrassing for him, I think. We had a good laugh about it, but I don't think he thought it was too funny. Talk about Murphy's Law. I bet some Cast Members got a talking to about that.

Anyway, they limo-ed us home (no small distance) in the Resort's sedan with a very nice Guest Relations Cast Member as our driver. The next day my honey returned via another arranged Disneyland Resort limo with a spare set of keys to fetch the car.

They never did locate our keys. We got a nice apology letter from Tony inviting us back for a complimentary weekend stay that turned out to not only included a very nice Suite, but the most wonderful all-inclusive "On-The-Mouse" dinner at Napa Rose. Plus some other meals and goodies delivered to the room.

Good thing I didn't have one of those Hide-A-Keys on my car, or we might have missed out on a wonderful free weekend getaway! ;)

As a sidebar, our originally planned date for our comp stay was to arrive at the GCH on September 12, 2001. We ended up revising that at the last moment, and went on another later date.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
WE've always had DTD views for our stays at the GCH, the last two times the rooftops below our balcony have been absolutely filthly. Cigarette butts (hello, NONSMOKING!!!!), soda and beer cans paper waste a dirty diaper you name it, it was gross. That's a bad as it had gotten, the rooms have always been cleaned, house keeping timely, CM's friendly, etc.

We stay at the GCH about once a year if we can get a fab deal, the rooms are a little small and every time we have booked with the AP rates we have had DTD rooms at the very end of the hotel, so the walk back to the lobby (strollers do not do well down the mystery staircase shortcuts) and then out to DL its the same distance as walking from the DLH. Also, it is the only on property hotel where we have never been able to get into our rooms before 3pm.

The Genii
07-10-2005, 09:32 AM
I've stayed at the Grand Californian numerous times and, in fact, will be there again later this week.

Love it: one of the nicest hotels hotels I've ever stayed in. I have encountered none of the problems cited by the other people in this thread.

The theming can't be beat and it's the only hotel at Disneyland that compares to the deluxe and moderate hotels in Walt Disney World.

CrazyMouse
07-10-2005, 09:40 AM
I've stayed at the Grand Californian numerous times and, in fact, will be there again later this week.

Love it: one of the nicest hotels hotels I've ever stayed in. I have encountered none of the problems cited by the other people in this thread.

The theming can't be beat and it's the only hotel at Disneyland that compares to the deluxe and moderate hotels in Walt Disney World.

I hope your luck runs with me. :-)

SeansMom
07-10-2005, 09:47 AM

OMG!!! Well, it IS one of those stories that can give you a chuckle long AFTER the fact :D! Thanks for my morning giggle.