PDA

View Full Version : Week-long Series of Events Culminate With a Memorable Day of Disneyland Magic...

Darkbeer
07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

Week-long Series of Events Culminate With a Memorable Day of Disneyland Magic and Memories

ANAHEIM, Calif., July 8 -- The countdown to July 17 and the actual 50th anniversary of Disneyland has begun. Various memorable events are planned throughout the week of July 11 to commemorate what U.S. President Ronald Reagan called "one of America's national treasures."

Although the Disneyland "Happiest Homecoming On Earth" 50th anniversary celebration festivities continue through 2006, the actual anniversary is one of this summer's highly anticipated events. To commemorate this milestone occasion, the following special events are planned to salute 50 years of Disneyland:

* July 13 -- Fred Segal

Famed Hollywood boutique Fred Segal salutes the 50th anniversary of Disneyland with an invitation-only evening of high, fun fashion as its Santa Monica locale debuts the new "Disney Vintage" apparel line saluting Disneyland during a star-studded evening Wednesday, July 13.

* July 14 -- Hollywood Salutes Disneyland

The stars will shine on Thursday, July 14, as Disneyland is honored on the occasion of its milestone 50th anniversary by the Hollywood Historic Trust and Johnny Grant, honorary mayor of Hollywood. In recognition of its 50th anniversary, Disneyland will receive the coveted Award of Excellence star adjacent to the "Hollywood Walk of Fame" during a 10:30am ceremony next to the El Capitan Theatre.

Accepting the award in person on behalf of Disneyland and its 20,000 cast members will be Michael D. Eisner, chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company, Robert Iger, CEO-elect and president of The Walt Disney Company and Mickey Mouse. Joining them will be an additional eye-popping cast of 49 Disney Characters on-hand to celebrate the moment.

* July 15 -- Space Mountain Returns/Premiere of Turtle Talk With Crush

The Disneyland Resort will welcome two new attractions to Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure on Friday, July 15.

- Space Mountain blasts-off into a new era of thrills as the popular Disneyland attraction reopens in a ceremony attended by legendary U.S. Astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to step foot on the lunar surface of the moon (August 11,1969). The high-speed interstellar adventure reopens following nearly two years of being re-Imagineered for the 21st century. As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, "Space Mountain" beckons guests anew to its special brand of intergalactic thrills.

- A new wave of fun washes ashore at Disney's California Adventure as Olympic Gold Medalist swimmer Amanda Beard helps to open Turtle Talk with Crush, an all-new attraction inside the park's "Disney Animation" exhibit. The California native and four-time Olympic medalist will introduce guests to the park's new and unbelievable encounter experience with Crush, the sea turtle from the Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film "Finding Nemo."

* July 16 -- An Evening of Magic

On Saturday, July 16, there will be stars over the Pacific and aboard the Disney Magic in the Port of Los Angeles as The Walt Disney Company salutes the Make-A-Wish Foundation and 50 years of making dreams come true. Hollywood celebrities and dignitaries will be aboard to help raise money for this renowned organization.

* July 17 -- 50 YEARS OF DISNEYLAND MAGIC

Sunday, July 17, Disneyland celebrates its actual 50th anniversary with a day-long series of special events highlighted by a heartwarming rededication ceremony in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle at 10:00am, featuring Mickey Mouse, Michael D. Eisner (chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company), Robert Iger (CEO-elect and president of The Walt Disney Company), Art Linkletter (Host of the Disneyland opening day live TV broadcast in 1955) and Walt Disney's eldest daughter, Diane Disney Miller.

phoenixfire2k5
07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

Week-long Series of Events Culminate With a Memorable Day of Disneyland Magic and Memories

Awesome, I'm going that weekend, and I look foward to it! :D

Opus1guy
07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
- Space Mountain blasts-off into a new era of thrills as the popular Disneyland attraction reopens in a ceremony attended by legendary U.S. Astronaut Neil Armstrong

That's pretty cool, especially considering that Mr. Armstrong is rather well known for avoiding public events. :)

I'm sorta sad they aren't rededicating at Town Square at the same time-of-day as in 1955...like they have on other past Anniversaries. But I guess the staged publicity "photo-op" with the Castle carried greater weight than any historical reenactment or past tradition.

I wonder what other special events will be part of that "day long" list?

RideMax Mark
07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Hmmm... I know this isn't the point of the release, but Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon were actually on July 20, 1969, NOT August 11th!

Darkbeer
07-08-2005, 01:59 PM
^ And Space Mountain was closed for OVER two years (April 2003 thru June 2005).

Opus1guy
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey! Let's not cloud all the excitement with pesky little things like facts!

;)

Also missing any mention of Roy Disney. Man...would it be chilling (in a good way) to see him re-dedicate Disneyland with Walt's words in Town Square!

Darkbeer
07-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Roy Disney is participating in a BIG Sailing event that weekend, he won't be there.

Circarama
07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Aren't they planning any special events for the "real" anniversary on July 18th? I am going home on the 18th , but I still plan on having breakfast at the Carnation Cafe that morning.
I was kinda hoping they might have a little sumpin' sumpin' :(

Opus1guy
07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Aren't they planning any special events for the "real" anniversary on July 18th? I am going home on the 18th , but I still plan on having breakfast at the Carnation Cafe that morning.
I was kinda hoping they might have a little sumpin' sumpin' :(

They are replicating the main event of July 18, 1955...

Tickets will go on sale.

;)

Darkbeer
07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Actually, they are offering a special Pin Quest later in the month, in which you can get a replica of the July 18th ticket as a FREE prize....

Shortiemetoo
07-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Darn....later in the month....double darn!!

experiment626
07-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Sunday, July 17, Disneyland celebrates its actual 50th anniversary with a day-long series of special events.
Anyone have insight into this "day-long series of special events?"

phoenixfire2k5
07-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Anyone have insight into this "day-long series of special events?"

Read the original thread. Or go to Disneyland.com and look up their calender for the 17th.

experiment626
07-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Read the original thread. Or go to Disneyland.com and look up their calender for the 17th.
I have read just about everything. And so far have found that pretty much NOTHING special is going to happen in the parks that day. Yeah the cupcake and ears are a nice touch. And rededication is cool. But IMO, these DO NOT amount a day-long series of special events. Unless I am missing something.

McKmouse
07-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Or go to Disneyland.com and look up their calender for the 17th.

The disneyland.com calendar lists nothing of the "events" taking place throughtout the day – I just checked. Just the regular entertainment schedules, opening/closing time, etc.

phoenixfire2k5
07-09-2005, 11:48 AM
The disneyland.com calendar lists nothing of the "events" taking place throughtout the day – I just checked. Just the regular entertainment schedules, opening/closing time, etc.

Good point. I'm surprised that the calender doesn't list them all. If you call the main information line, you might be able to find out what the other events are. I'm sure some of them include the release of special pins, maybe some signings somewhere. Either it was a miswording, or there are definitely some other events taking place throughout the day. If this information is not so easily obtainable, then perhaps darkbeer can help us out there.