PDA

View Full Version : Supershuttle or Taxi?

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
My friend and I are flying into John Wayne airport on Tuesday, July 26th. Barring delays, we'll arrive at 8:30 a.m. Since we're only spending two days (one night) at DLR, I want to make every minute count. In the past we've taken Super Shuttle, but sometimes they wait forever to load other passengers and drive to multiple locations. I would think a cab would save time, but is 8:30 in the morning still rush hour? Can we really save time going with a cab instead? Any idea what the fare range is for going from John Wayne to Disneyland? (We're actually staying at the Candy Can Inn).
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Malcon10t
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
My friend and I are flying into John Wayne airport on Tuesday, July 26th. Barring delays, we'll arrive at 8:30 a.m. Since we're only spending two days (one night) at DLR, I want to make every minute count. In the past we've taken Super Shuttle, but sometimes they wait forever to load other passengers and drive to multiple locations. I would think a cab would save time, but is 8:30 in the morning still rush hour? Can we really save time going with a cab instead? Any idea what the fare range is for going from John Wayne to Disneyland? (We're actually staying at the Candy Can Inn).
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!I usually make it in 20 mins by taxi, and it is usually about $35.

sediment
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
#1.
Cab is less variable time-wise.

sleepyjeff
07-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Cab is the only way to go in my most humble opinion.....unless you like touring all of the Disneyland area Hotels ;)

GrumpyUTboi
07-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Like Sleepy said, except if you are like my family and have 6 in the group then the super shuttle is more economical, beside that my wife and girls bring enough clothing for a 21 day trip. You know, you never know how you are going to feel that day and you need options anc acessories.

pisces
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Is 8:30 rush hour? Sunday morning, at 5:00 am, is rush hour in Southern California. It's true. I got on the 405, early Sunday, and it was backed up.

And, cabs don't turn off the meter just because you are sitting in traffic. They can start the meter anywhere. I've seen some start the meter at $6.00 and $8.00.

You have to tip 15% of the bill.

sleepyjeff
07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Like Sleepy said, except if you are like my family and have 6 in the group then the super shuttle is more economical, beside that my wife and girls bring enough clothing for a 21 day trip. You know, you never know how you are going to feel that day and you need options anc acessories.

Having that many people(6) also helps cut down on the number of places the Supershuttle will end up stopping at before your Hotel since most of the passengers(your group) will be going to the same place.........Taxi is ideal for small groups of 3 or 4 people.....less then 3 and the Shuttle starts to become cheaper and more then 4 and you may end up needing 2+ taxis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And, cabs don't turn off the meter just because you are sitting in traffic. They can start the meter anywhere. I've seen some start the meter at $6.00 and $8.00.

Request the flat rate(about $33.00) to the Resort area and the meter can run for hours and the bill will still be the same as a fast trip........ :)

SANDYMARIE
07-09-2005, 10:01 AM
We like the Shuttle.....No surprise cost!! ;)
TTFN

Darkbeer
07-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Another vote for the TAXI, ask for the Flat Rate, it is around $32 one way...

No waiting, no getting packed like sardines with strangers, no stops on the way...

FYI, this advice is for those folks flying into either JohnWayna/Santa Ana/Orange County airport, or Long Beach (also has a flat rate of about $35).

Now, flying into LAX, then the Airport Bus or a Shuttle Van is a better option than a taxi.. but the best there is a rental car.

Hakuna Makarla
07-09-2005, 11:33 AM
I vote for shuttle!! It takes me 20 minutes tops with drop offs and 10 dollars per person. 20.00 and you get there with in 20 minutes. ( I did when we flew in at 10:30 am one time and 1:30pm the time before that.20 minutes each time with 2 to 3 drop offs.

pisces
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
That's actually not true about the flat rate, if you are sitting in traffic for long periods of time. I don't know how much time you have to be sitting, before they tack on a time charge.

They won't run the meter, but they do charge for the time, if it's excessive, and you are sitting for a long time.

It's legal for cab drivers to do that. ---All the other business they miss, because they are sitting on the freeway with you......they can recover that loss, by adding a charge to your flat rate. But, you do have to be sitting for a long time to have the extra charge added.

Beware.

stinkerbell
07-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Another vote for a cab. From LAX, I'd opt for Super Shuttle over anything else, but from SNA for two people, I'd vote to cab it. :)

The Genii
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I always used to take Super Shuttle from LAX for $14. It usually gets me there in 40 to 45 minutes.
Last time, however, it took my friend (who flew in later) TWO hours and SEVEN stops on Super Shuttle.
AND, my Super Shuttle driver fell asleep at the wheel! Holy Toledo!
Happy to pay the $75 for the cab now. :)

ToursbabeC3po
07-10-2005, 12:03 PM
The cabs will do flat rates even in traffic. There is car pool almost all the way to Disney that has very little traffic at that time so I don't even think you have to worry about traffic. I used to take the cab from Disney to Mission Viejo all the time for a flat rate of 50 dollars and they never raised it for traffic you just need to make a agreement with them prior to leaving. I hope you have a great trip no matter how you get there :-)
Toursbabe

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
07-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. I had no idea there was an option for a flat rate with a cab. Love these boards! :)

sleepyjeff
07-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Oh, and one more thing...........the Cab Island is closer to the baggage claim then the shuttle Island(although the bus is closer then either of those two) :)

gerry
07-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone. Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi cab from the Anaheim Amtrak station to the Grand Californian Hotel? We are visiting in the Fall and I would like to have an idea what to expect. Thanks.

Malcon10t
07-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone. Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi cab from the Anaheim Amtrak station to the Grand Californian Hotel? We are visiting in the Fall and I would like to have an idea what to expect. Thanks.I've always paid $5, then I give the guy a $5 tip as we have so many bags.