PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera, Video Camera or Both

Hawaiian Cinderella
07-07-2005, 02:24 PM
After viewing all of the wonderful pictures you have all been taking I was wondering if you bring both a video camera and a still camera when you go to Disneyland and what should I do for our next trip.

I usually bring both but end up taking more video then stills and we usually only watch the video once when we get back and sometimes again right before our next trip. We end up looking at and sharing the pictures more but don't have all of the nice shot you all have because I am usually too busy taking videos. We enjoy having the memories on video but I am wondering if for our next trip I should concentrate more on just taking still pictures....what do you all do and what do you think???...any input will be much appreciated!

Black Pearl
07-07-2005, 02:27 PM
After viewing all of the wonderful pictures you have all been taking I was wondering if you bring both a video camera and a still camera when you go to Disneyland and what should I do for our next trip.

I usually bring both but end up taking more video then stills and we usually only watch the video once when we get back and sometimes again right before our next trip. We end up looking at and sharing the pictures more but don't have all of the nice shot you all have because I am usually too busy taking videos. We enjoy having the memories on video but I am wondering if for our next trip I should concentrate more on just taking still pictures....what do you all do and what do you think???...any input will be much appreciated!

How big is the video camera?

Camthalio
07-07-2005, 02:29 PM
i like taking pictures. in september we will go the first time to disneyland and i just going to take my digital camera with me. i can also make small videos with it. i donīt like taking a video camera with me, because if iīm bussy with filming all the time i canīt ejoy the visit!

Hawaiian Cinderella
07-07-2005, 02:37 PM
How big is the video camera?

not very big. it can fit in my purse/backpack.

Hawaiian Cinderella
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
i donīt like taking a video camera with me, because if iīm bussy with filming all the time i canīt ejoy the visit!

very true. last year i videoed fantasmic and my daughter enjoyed watching it several times when we got back. i told my husband that i wanted to see it again this year and this time not thru the view finder of the videocamera...we saw it again from the balcony and i really enjoyed just relaxing and taking it all in.

Black Pearl
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
not very big. it can fit in my purse/backpack.

I would take them both, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I always take ton's of photos, but like to have footage of certain things, (interaction with characters, etc.) If it's a one or the other thing, I would take the digital camera.

shawnarae
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
We bring both ourselves...but I have seen people with "high tech" cameras that have a combo. A video & digital camera on the same machine. I am sure it is a pretty penny. I don't even know if you'd call it a digital camera or a video camera....

I have just seen this....don't own one :)

disneyperson
07-07-2005, 03:40 PM
we just got a digital camera so it will be fun to play with it this trip. We will still rely on our plain ol' disposal kodaks though. I'm like that woman in the commercials, I just gotta have the pictures in my hands.

splashmtngurl
07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I prefer to bring a digital video camera with me but my mom always brings like 2 digital photo cameras cause she is mad about pictures. It sort of depends on your interests.

AlbertaMinnie
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
We're taking both. I want to video the parades and fantasmic, but I want still shots with characters etc. I don't mind watching through the viewfinder because I know that I'll be able to watch the video forever!

Those "high-tech" cameras that do both aren't all they're cracked up to be! The still shots are just so-so but the video is awesome - records right onto a DVD.

Crazy4DL
07-07-2005, 07:03 PM
I love the digital camera. You can take tons and delete the ones that aren't good. You can see the pictures right away too.

Videos are fun but I am with the mindset that I don't want to be watching the fun through the lense of a camera. ;)

AcuraTL
07-07-2005, 07:33 PM
I usually take both, it is a bit of hassle but my kids always enjoy watching the videos after I edit it and burn them onto a DVD. As for pictures, we usually take 200-300 in our trip.

I have pretty high-end equipments and no digital camera can take as nice of video as a decent camcorder. If you really want both, you should bring both.

phillyorig
07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I would take both.
We didn't bring our video this year and I regret it since hubby and 2 kids were part of the Block Party Bash.
I was laughing so hard, we wouldn't be able to see it :)

If you have room, take the video!!!

Wendi
07-07-2005, 08:00 PM
I always take both, but I rarely end up using the video camera. Fortunatly they are both small enough to fit in my little purse with my "valuables" so it's not a big deal. I think I need to make a point of using the video camera on the next trip...

I did film Aladdin last time (and iaswh).

Mark Mywords
07-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I bring both, but really attempt to balance between stills, video and unhindered enjoyment. I usually dedicate a day each to JUST taking stills or JUST video and JUST plain not bringing any hi-tech gadgets along.

Disneyscapes
07-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm debating how many cameras I'm bringing in addition to the video camera :) Definitely going to bring the larger zoom next trip, in order to capture some better "angled" shots.

For those detailed closeups: http://disneyscapes.blogspot.com/2005/06/coast-to-coast-peoplemoving.html

And the wide angle for broad shots: http://disneyscapes.blogspot.com/2005/06/main-street-concept.html

Regarding the video cam, I bring a Sony PC105 which fits nicely into a fanny pack or purse. Small, but still poduces great quality video.

TimBuk2
07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
BOTH - BOTH - BOTH . . . maybe get a locker and trade them off during the day so you won't have to lug them both around.

hlbtimes2
07-07-2005, 09:16 PM
We take both. I usually take stills and dh takes the videos. We trade off now and then so that we are both in some pictures and some video.

Doug
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
How did you manage to watch from the balcony?

very true. last year i videoed fantasmic and my daughter enjoyed watching it several times when we got back. i told my husband that i wanted to see it again this year and this time not thru the view finder of the videocamera...we saw it again from the balcony and i really enjoyed just relaxing and taking it all in.

DrewR
07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
We usually take both a digital camera and a digital camcorder (its very small). The camcorder also takes pictures. This way both my wife and I can take pictures/video at the same time. On our trip last week we took about 320 pictures and only shot about 2-3 hours of video. Our rule though is like others who posted here. We don't want to be so focused on the camera/camcorder that we stop having a good time and enjoying the vacation. I have also noticed that it is easy to miss things when looking through the viewfinder...

Hawaiian Cinderella
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Thank you VERY much for all of your input......I guess I will be bringing both. I would hate to go all the way there and come home and regret not having a video to look at....Hope I can also get a lot of great pictures next time like the ones you have all been sharing ;)

Doug
07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Ok, I must mention what I use.... I use a Digital SLR, and a little point and shoot, that can take videos at 640x480 30fps, and I have a water tight case for it, so, like, the other day, I video "taped" the drop on splash mtn, funny to see all the water come up on the screen, as if you just went under water! hehe

The DSLR is for high quality pics, and the point and shoot is just for quick shots, and video ... also allows me and who ever I am with to both be able to take pics.