PDA

View Full Version : Character Breakfast Ariel's Grotto vs. GCH

gerry
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi everyone,

We'll be visiting DL in the Fall. Which character breakfast is better, Ariel's Grotto or GCH with Chip and Dale? No kids, just two fun loving adult Disney fans. Thanks.

hlbtimes2
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Ariels doesnt offer breakfast, only lunch and dinner.

Camthalio
07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

We'll be visiting DL in the Fall. Which character breakfast is better, Ariel's Grotto or GCH with Chip and Dale? No kids, just two fun loving adult Disney fans. Thanks.

I canīt answer your question, because we - also two fun loving adult Disney fans with no kids - will be for the first time in September at Disneyland. Just want to say hi and that this is an interesting answer I would like to know the answer too. So letīs wait and see if someone can help us!

hlbtimes2
07-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Are you more instested in food quality or character interaction? Do you prefer a menu to order from or a buffet meal?

tlovesdis
07-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Ariel's does not offer breakfast. Of the 4 character breakfasts offered, our favorite is the one with Lilo and Stitch at the Paradise Pier Hotel. The food was good and the character interaction is fantastic!

shawnarae
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
I will be at the Ariel's Grotto lunch this Sunday at noon. I will reply to this thread next week on what I thought. There will be 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids (8 years, 3 years & 2 years) :)

In the past I have done Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast & dinner. Loved it! We did the character breakfast at PPH before it was Lilo & Stitch and did not like it. Did not measure up to Goofy's. We may try Lilo & Stitch this weekend too. If so I will reply on that also.

lisap
07-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I guess it depends on what is important to you. The breakfast at Storytellers is fantastic--foodwise. Omlet station, made to order waffles, fresh fruit, muffins, etc. It's great. The characters are a little sparse, though--usually just Chip and Dale and maybe another character make their way around.

Ariel's has great character interaction--they do a good job of making it around to all the tables. Chip and Dale, Goofy, Minnie...lots of characters. And Ariel, too, of course. The food is pretty good (no breakfast)--the kids meals are presented in a really fun way.

My kids are not as into the characters as they are getting older now, but we like both places--we have a good time at either one. But if your children are into the character thing--Ariel's would be the way to go. :)

Elly
07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Ariel no longer appears at Ariel's Grotto. Strange, but true. There are lots of other characters though. In addition to visiting each table, periodically they have the children join the characters in parades around the restaurant and dancing and limbo games. Very fun.

AlbertaMinnie
07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
We did Ariels last year (when Ariel was still there). It was very organized, with each character coming right to our table (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto). The food was pretty good too and the bill came surrounded by cotton candy which I found really really cool! However, like stated earlier, you can only have lunch and dinner there.

This year, we are trying Storytellers for breakfast - I chose it over the other character breakfasts because the only one in our family who is a big eater is my husband and Storytellers gives us the choice of either the buffet, or ordering something off the menu. He'll likely get the buffet, and the rest of us will enjoy something off the menu.

How many days are you there for? If GCH caught your eye, perhaps one day try it for breakfast, and the next day try Ariels for lunch or dinner? Happy Eating!

Wendi
07-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I LOVE Storyteller's Cafe for breakfast, it is delish!!! The best food ever, really!!! Ariel's Grotto is only open for lunch and dinner. We had lunch there in November 2004 when Ariel was still there, it was nice. I'd still prefer breakfast at Storyteller's over lunch at Ariel's though if that's your question. DO NOT miss the french toast!!!

gerry
07-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Wendi,
Where are you? We live in Modesto. Are we neighbors?

Wendi
07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi Wendi,
Where are you? We live in Modesto. Are we neighbors?

I'm in Davis... not too far.

AlbertaMinnie
07-08-2005, 05:08 AM
I LOVE Storyteller's Cafe for breakfast, it is delish!!! The best food ever, really!!! Ariel's Grotto is only open for lunch and dinner. We had lunch there in November 2004 when Ariel was still there, it was nice. I'd still prefer breakfast at Storyteller's over lunch at Ariel's though if that's your question. DO NOT miss the french toast!!!

The french toast is good? Thanks for the tip Wendi, I think I might just have that!

DrewR
07-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Lunch at Ariel's is very good. Expect your kids to get up and go dance with the characters every so often! We make reservations for this every time we go. Breakfast at the PCH Grill in the Paradise Pier Hotel is excellent. They have the best bananas foster french toast!!! I would recommend either, but make a reservation ahead of time!!!

shawnarae
07-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Just got back from DLR & DCA last night, and had lunch at Ariel's Grotto yesterday. This was my first time there and it was ok. The food was not that great. I enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen buffet much better. BUT, the characters were worth going. We got to see & take pictures with Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale, Donald & Goofy! That was the great part since seeing them all in the parks is a challenge. I recommend making reservations before getting to the park and we did our's at 11:30, the opening time. So it was not crowded when we got seated and the characters came by our table all in the first 1/2 hour! It was great. Felt like we had Mickey to ourselves for like 10 minutes!!Plus yes, there was music, dancing and all that for the kids. My kids were not into that, so we watched. But the character interaction was PRICELESS. Better selection of characters then the other character lunch/dinner's. And the location was great. Right on the water (we sat outside & it was not that bad heat wise, very nice) & looking out to the Sun Wheel. Very great atmosphere.

So if you want to go for excellent food, then this is not the place. But if you want to go for seeing these characters then YES, it was great! THE PREMIUM CHARACTERS to my kids were all there! And it is cheaper then the buffets. $16.95 for adults & $12.95 for kids, plus drinks & desserts cost extra. It is a pre-set menu with you picking an appetizer & main meal. I got bay shrimp cobb salad, Hubby got the cheeseburger...and kids got macaroni & chicken nuggets. We were not impressed with the food at all...............but other's may like it. I will say the service was TOP NOTCH! A++++ for our server. The food was just bland. The kids' meals' presentation were awesome, with little shovel & buckets. Cotton candy at the end of the meal for them. The taste and selection was nothing great for the adults. IN MY OPINION.

So we went and were very glad to do so. Worth it to go for the atmosphere & location, plus characters......but next time will stick to Goofy's Kitchen :)

gerry
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Just got back from DLR & DCA last night, and had lunch at Ariel's Grotto yesterday. This was my first time there and it was ok. The food was not that great. I enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen buffet much better. BUT, the characters were worth going. We got to see & take pictures with Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale, Donald & Goofy! That was the great part since seeing them all in the parks is a challenge. I recommend making reservations before getting to the park and we did our's at 11:30, the opening time. So it was not crowded when we got seated and the characters came by our table all in the first 1/2 hour! It was great. Felt like we had Mickey to ourselves for like 10 minutes!!Plus yes, there was music, dancing and all that for the kids. My kids were not into that, so we watched. But the character interaction was PRICELESS. Better selection of characters then the other character lunch/dinner's. And the location was great. Right on the water (we sat outside & it was not that bad heat wise, very nice) & looking out to the Sun Wheel. Very great atmosphere.

So if you want to go for excellent food, then this is not the place. But if you want to go for seeing these characters then YES, it was great! THE PREMIUM CHARACTERS to my kids were all there! And it is cheaper then the buffets. $16.95 for adults & $12.95 for kids, plus drinks & desserts cost extra. It is a pre-set menu with you picking an appetizer & main meal. I got bay shrimp cobb salad, Hubby got the cheeseburger...and kids got macaroni & chicken nuggets. We were not impressed with the food at all...............but other's may like it. I will say the service was TOP NOTCH! A++++ for our server. The food was just bland. The kids' meals' presentation were awesome, with little shovel & buckets. Cotton candy at the end of the meal for them. The taste and selection was nothing great for the adults. IN MY OPINION.

So we went and were very glad to do so. Worth it to go for the atmosphere & location, plus characters......but next time will stick to Goofy's Kitchen :)
Thank you

QueenAlisha
07-11-2005, 01:38 PM
We did Breakfast at Storytellers, it was some of the best food we have even had and it wasnt busy so we had tons of time with all the charters and stuff. i will be doing that again.

NVMulan
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Characters - Arial's

Food - GCH

The Best Character Experience - GOOFY's KITCHEN

Matt Hamand
07-11-2005, 04:55 PM
We were at Storyteller's for breakfast just after they opened this past Sunday. The food was amazing. (Tip: don't load up too much on the buffet. Ask your waiter to bring waffles and don't stop until you have to be rolled out. Amazing waffles.)

Adam, being only three and a half months old, wasn't too impressed with the characters.

Mark Goldhaber
07-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Do you think that we'd need to have a PS for breakfast at Storytellers' in mid-late August, or should we be able to just walk right in?

Wendi
07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
You can almost always walk right in, but I'd try to get a PS just in case... I usually go during off season, so I don't know about August. I have been there once when there were quite a few parties waiting, it wasn't horribly long, I'm thinking it may have been a trip in early June.

Elly
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
If you eat at Ariel's, I recommend the salmon sandwich. I think it is very tasty.

Matt Hamand
07-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Do you think that we'd need to have a PS for breakfast at Storytellers' in mid-late August, or should we be able to just walk right in?
We walked in at opening (7:00 am). Same thing last year. I'm not sure what the wait is if you try to walk in at 8:30 or some busy breakfast time.

But if you go at 7 you will be able to get into the park by 8:15 or so, depending on how much you eat.

Mark Goldhaber
07-12-2005, 11:37 AM
We walked in at opening (7:00 am). Same thing last year. I'm not sure what the wait is if you try to walk in at 8:30 or some busy breakfast time.

But if you go at 7 you will be able to get into the park by 8:15 or so, depending on how much you eat.
Well, since our bodies will still be on East Coast time, at least for the first day or two, we'll probably be starved when they open up. I think we'll just chance it, and if we have a long wait, we'll skip it and make a PS for later in the stay.

Thanks, folks!