PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Birthday at DL

aktink
07-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I have been planning this since my last trip in March 05! My DD will turn 18 in October and I have decided to take her to DL for her birthday. Since we live in Alaska this is quite a gift. I plan to take her out to dinner the night before her birthday and give her a card with the DL happy birthday sticker. I had them make one before we left in March. Our plane doesn't leave until 12:55 A.M. so she will have enough time to go home and pack. Once we get to the airport her best friend will meet us and join us for the trip. Lucky for me we got bump seats and have free tickets to get us to DL. I also bought annual passes last time down because I have a business trip to CA every March and next years trip is the week before the passes expire. I thought about staying at either PP or DLH but we need a suite since there are 5 of us and two of them are teenage girls. The best deal I have been able to get so far is over $2000! I looked at HoJo and their suites are not available all the nights we need. I did find a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen at the Tropicana for $190. Please let me know of any must do activities and restaurants we need to attend. Also if you have any info on Suites available at walking distance hotels. I noticed they don't advertise them. And yes this trip is as much for me as it is for my daughter. :D

PirateSmile
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun! I think you should check out the Blue Bayou. It's such a pretty atmosphere. If you're into character breakfasts and stuff, I'd check into those too. My personal favorite is Ariel's Grotto, but I'm sure others on here who have been to more would have a better opinion :)

arpinl
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
aktink, would you consider booking two non-suite hotel rooms? At WDW, I've found this to (often) be a more economical option than staying at a suite.

Malcon10t
07-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I have been planning this since my last trip in March 05! My DD will turn 18 in October and I have decided to take her to DL for her birthday. Since we live in Alaska this is quite a gift. I plan to take her out to dinner the night before her birthday and give her a card with the DL happy birthday sticker. I had them make one before we left in March. Our plane doesn't leave until 12:55 A.M. so she will have enough time to go home and pack. Once we get to the airport her best friend will meet us and join us for the trip. Lucky for me we got bump seats and have free tickets to get us to DL. I also bought annual passes last time down because I have a business trip to CA every March and next years trip is the week before the passes expire. I thought about staying at either PP or DLH but we need a suite since there are 5 of us and two of them are teenage girls. The best deal I have been able to get so far is over $2000! I looked at HoJo and their suites are not available all the nights we need. I did find a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen at the Tropicana for $190. Please let me know of any must do activities and restaurants we need to attend. Also if you have any info on Suites available at walking distance hotels. I noticed they don't advertise them. And yes this trip is as much for me as it is for my daughter. :DAnaheim Desert Inn and Suites. The Parlor Suite has 2 queen beds in one room, then a double bed in the second (small) room. It is directly across the street from Disneyland. They are usually $129 a night. We spend very little time in the room, and this is great for us.

When my daughter turned 16, I did something very similar. We (10 of us) stayed at the Hilton (had 3 rooms, girls, boys, and us). I ended up calling Disney (714-781-4400), explaining what I wanted, and they set us up with a great deal. They got us with Disney Dining, we had dinner at the ABC Bistro, they preplanned with the actors for a skit around my daughter, then priority seating at Blast!, she got to meet some of the cast there, then we watched the fireworks from the train station, then over to Fantasmic! for prioity seating on the river. It was a birthday she will never forget (she still talks about it.) Bora (hostess there) got everyone in the area to sing HB to her. It was so much fun.

Just a few ideas. I would go cheap on the room, and get some priority seatings.

aktink
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
We are going to do lunch at the Blue Bayou on her birthday. I am planning on bringing cute decorations and party favors to have on the table when we arrive. How early can I make priority seating reservations? I am also wondering how late DL is open when I am there. We arrive on Thursday, October 6th, my daughters b-day and leave on Monday the 10th. Do any of the restauraunts in downtown disney do special things for birthday dinners?

crazi4dlr
07-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites. The Parlor Suite has 2 queen beds in one room, then a double bed in the second (small) room. It is directly across the street from Disneyland. They are usually $129 a night. We spend very little time in the room, and this is great for us.
Just a few ideas. I would go cheap on the room, and get some priority seatings.

I gotta confirm this hotel cuz it's where my DH and I stayed on our honeymoon and it was great. Clean and comfortable with a small fridge and microwave in the room, great for leftovers. Also they have an indoor pool so if you want to swim and the weather is cool it's not a problem. The staff is great too. We are staying at their sister property, Desert Palms Hotel and Suites in December when we meet my sibs there for a reunion. You can book priority for the restaurants 60 days out and for Fantasmic 30 days out. Enjoy and let me know how it goes.

Dom262
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Call the Residence Inn by Marriott. It is within walking distance and you can get what they call a penthouse. That will sleep 5 easily. Plus you will have a kitchen that is full equipped. They also server a breakfast in the morning.

Malcon10t
07-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Call the Residence Inn by Marriott. It is within walking distance and you can get what they call a penthouse. That will sleep 5 easily. Plus you will have a kitchen that is full equipped. They also server a breakfast in the morning.I've stayed there before, and its nice. But the Penthouse is $220 a night. The 1-bedroom has 2 queens with a sofa sleeper.Its $150 a night. Its also quite a walk. I still vote for something closer.

phillyorig
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
We stayed in 2003 at Homewood Suites. It's right down Harbor (at Chapman) about 2 miles. Walking distance, I wouldn't but they did have a free shuttle to and from the park.

It sleeps 6. The bedroom is 2 queen beds which is a large room and the living has a sleeper sofa,a little small but as alot say, you are not in your room that much..
It has a kitchenette. 15cf refer(?), stove top,nuker, dishwasher and pots,pans,plates,utensils. They will even shop at a supermarket for you.
Breakfast is hot cooked breakfast (each day was different, eggs, then pancakes and all the other items you could think of.
They also have a mangers reception at night M-Th, where, now, they serve a light snack and any drink that you don't need a blender for :D .

You said in Oct so I looked up the site and right now if you have AAA you can get it for $143 a night. But, I would wait to book and check back at least once a week because the price should go down.In 2003, we went in Oct and spent $89p/n. I know prices go up but.. you can always book and then cancel as the prices go down. Just make sure they don't charge you CC.( I do that alot when we travel)

Stay away from the Peacock Suits. Our room itself was great. Could have slept 10 with a rollaway but it is right next to a laundry company and they start up at 2am!!!!The NOISE!!!!!!!

Have fun!!

potcfan
07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Don't forget the "Stay 4 nights get the last night free" promotion at the DLR. That would average out to $176.35 a night at PP and $203.75 at DHL, GCH is not available every night of your stay. I surprised my daugher with a trip to DL to celebrate her 11th birthday last December. We spent two nights at DHL and 2 nights at GCH (my personal favorite). The rooms at DLH are a good size and my 16 year old daughter was very comfortable on the daybed. Have a great trip!