PDA

View Full Version : Concierge at Grand Cal Hotel [merged]

kc10family
07-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Has anyone used the concierge service at the Grand California? If so… What did you think? Would you do it again? What did the serve through out the day?

10-97
07-05-2005, 08:03 PM
We upgraded to concierge at GCH two years ago for our summer vacation, and we thought it was worth it. A thread on another site indicated that the evening food is even better this year.

Our group was comprised of two adults and two kids. If I remember corrrectly, the concierge upgrade was priced per room, not per person, and that might be a factor in your decision.

For us, the biggest advantage was to conveniently have a nice breakfast before we headed out for DL. We like to get to DL early each day, and we had plenty of time each morning to wake up, shower, eat, and still be at the opening at 8:00 am. The breakfast that year was bagels (optional toasting, lox, cream cheese, butter), muffins, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, milk, juice, coffee, tea, and cocoa; everybody found something they liked. If somebody was slow to wake up, the others would bring food back to the room, and we would eat on the balcony. I'm a simple guy, but I really enjoyed those balcony breakfasts.

The early afternoon options were limited. I remember it as chips, cookies, and assorted drinks. Late afternoon added beer, wine, cheese, crackers, and veggies with dips. Recent guests say the evening food now includes hot hor d'oeuvres.

As strange as it sounds, another big plus is the bottled water and sodas. You are allowed to take two bottles per person with you when you leave the lounge. We always took some drinks with us to put in the refrigerator in the room.

The afternoon food isn't exactly a substitute for a full lunch or dinner, but it's a convenient way to grab a fun snack and stay hydrated.

The lounge itself is very nice. It's on the 6th floor, with a balcony looking north toward DL. For convenience, request a 6th-floor room is you upgrade to concierge.

We don't always upgrade to concierge, but I recommend that you try it.

hlbtimes2
07-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Info on Grand CA (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=44265)

Here is a thread about this same thing from a couple days ago. You might want to search the site for more reviews and threads. Seems like someone asks this question often- you should be able to find lots of info.

It pretty much boils down to what is important to you, and what will make YOUR trip enjoyable. Some think that the extra money for some pampering and snacks is wonderful. Others would rather have more money to spend in the parks.

kc10family
07-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Grand Californian Hotel… Can anyone tell me how the concierge thing works? I hear they have a lounge you can go into, but I don’t understand. Do you sign in when you enter the lounge? Do you get a pass? How do you use it? Is it on a special floor only those who have the pass can get on? I’ll take any info. Thank you.

stan4d_steph
07-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I have merged your previous thread on GCH concierge with your recent one. As posted above, you can find information by searching the site. Using "concierge" is a good start.

10-97
07-10-2005, 04:01 PM
If you upgrade to concierge, that information is coded into your room key. The lounge is on the 6th floor, with an entry door similar to those of the rooms. You use your magnetic key to open the lounge door. Lounge castmembers monitor the entrance.

If you check in before your room is ready, the front desk will give you a key that is coded for lounge access only. Your group can use the lounge as soon as you check in, and the lounge castmembers can tell you when your room is ready.

Ms.Pecks
07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Not worth it anymore!It used to be included with the price of a suite, but not now. I think when you pay 400-500 a night for a suite,concierge should be included.Disney has become very greedy at the expense of the very peoiple that support it the most,the once or twice a year out of town guests who spend major bucks for the oppotunity to stand in line behind th e $99 dollar babysitting crowd from L.A.