PDA

View Full Version : Is the princess breakfast really that bad?

Pages : [1] 2

Hoppypooh
07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I was planning on doing the DL princess character breakfast at the Plaza... until I read the reviews! :( Most of the reviews were really negative (i.e. long waits, bad food, little or no character interaction.) I was just wondering (since some of those reviews were older) if things had improved at all? Is this experience worth it? Should I disregard the reviews and do it anyway - hoping for the best?

Opinions please!

P.S. I am not criticizing cm's/characters - I know it's not their fault!

SCUBAbe
07-04-2005, 12:35 PM
some people end up in a good spot and have a great time, but many others end up where few chracters come. I wish I knew where those spots are, because I would totally request them...:)...I'm not a big fan of the characters.

disneyochem
07-04-2005, 12:38 PM
We went to the Princess Breakfast in April and had a great time. My advice to you is to be there at the beginning. We really enjoyed the food and the interaction with the characters. In fact, we liked it better than Goofy's Kitchen. We had one of the first seatings and were able to meet Cinderella, the Mad Hatter, Jasmin, Aladin, Belle, the Beast, Aurora and the Fairy Godmother. The interactions were so good that my girls (ages 6 and 8) didn't want to wait in line to see any other characters the rest of the day. Food was good--had a cooked-to-order omelet, muffins, mickey waffles, fruit, pasteries, cereal, etc.

We left after an hour and it was starting to get a little hectic and busy. People were not waiting patiently at their tables for the characters but rushing them. I heard a couple of parents tell their kids "run up and hug Belle!" We were first started the breakfast there were empty tables still and we had a couple of characters sit down and pretend to eat with us. Belle actually offered to get my girls tea from Mrs. Potts.

Next trip in October, we are not going to do Goofy's but try the Princess Breakfast again.

kohl
07-04-2005, 12:53 PM
We also went in April and were one of the first seatings and did not enjoy it. If you do the breakfast make sure it is NOT on an early entry day. I think that was our problem. It took us a long time to fight the crowds with the early entry. Once there it wasn't too crowded, but only one princess came by our table. The other princesses looked busy the whole time. We love Goofy's, Lilo & Stich and Chip and Dale's for breakfast. I don't think we will be back for the Princess breakfast.

CoasterChickie
07-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I think whether you have a good time or not at any of the character breakfasts has a lot to do with timing and the crowd.

My favorite character breakfast ever was at The Plaza Inn when they had the Winnie the Pooh characters. It was very early in the morning so it wasn't croded and the interaction was great. Also, the food had just been made. If you're worried about the food not being that good, I suggest the made to order omelettes..they are really good and they have them at all the character breakfasts.

merlinjones
07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
>>Is the princess breakfast really that bad?<<

Depends on what she looks like in the morning...

CinemaGal15
07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
I think whether you have a good time or not at any of the character breakfasts has a lot to do with timing and the crowd.

My favorite character breakfast ever was at The Plaza Inn when they had the Winnie the Pooh characters. It was very early in the morning so it wasn't croded and the interaction was great. Also, the food had just been made. If you're worried about the food not being that good, I suggest the made to order omelettes..they are really good and they have them at all the character breakfasts.

I loved it when there were the Winnie the Pooh characters... EVERYONE else who works there loved it too. When the Pooh characters were there, there were two sets of characters, so when they went on their breaks every 30 minutes, then a new set would could out right away. However, with the princess breakfast, there is only one set of characters so they take their breaks and people wait for them and so the crowd gets worse and complain to CMs who have no control over the Character Dept.

And as for the Food, if you've been to one, you will see the crowd, so the food is Fresh. Most of the time, we can't keep up the demand. Some people just don't like waiting.

infinite
07-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Why did they stop doing a Winnie the Pooh breakfast?

CoasterChickie
07-05-2005, 10:46 AM
However, with the princess breakfast, there is only one set of characters so they take their breaks and people wait for them and so the crowd gets worse and complain to CMs who have no control over the Character Dept.

Hmmm, maybe they should hire identical twin sisters to play the parts of the princesses so they can rotate shifts. :fez:

Hey, if you run it by management and they like the idea, can I get a free breakfast? ;)

PS I have identical twin daughters who might be interested in a job there some day!!:D

CinemaGal15
07-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Hmmm, maybe they should hire identical twin sisters to play the parts of the princesses so they can rotate shifts. :fez:

Hey, if you run it by management and they like the idea, can I get a free breakfast? ;)

PS I have identical twin daughters who might be interested in a job there some day!!:D

Well from what I know, there is only really one set for breakfast because Face-Characters cost more money then just Fuzzies...or all costumed characters. But believe me, we've told management many times to get more Face-Characters, but they never listened.

Plus I was told that the Princess breakfast was leaving soon, so maybe it'll go back to the old Winnie the Pooh. I hope.

AcuraTL
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
When we went the past December 20th, we had no reservations and just did a walk-in and got our seat within 15 minutes. We had a large group, 4 adults and 4 kids with 2 strollers and we had to sit outside. But to my surprise, we got to see all the characters. Each and everyone of them came out to play with our kids and we got great photos/videos. I still personally like Goofy's Kitchen better but the Princess one is a good alternative.

DwoernAdale
07-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Just as a side note..

I called for priority seating for the Princess breakfast the first week in August yesterday. I was told I couldnt make a reservation, but that I could leave my name and number and they would call me back.

I asked why and was told that the resort was "considering moving the Princess Breakfast to Ariels in DCA, and making the Plaza a Mickey and friends breakfast in August".

No clue if this is true or not, but I was unable to make a PS reservation.

NVMulan
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
In the past 10 months or so I have done Princesses, Ariel and Goofy. Hands down, no contest, not even close was Princess the worse.

It's not even that it compared poorly. It just sucked.

disney jones
07-05-2005, 02:12 PM
we showed up in February without any reservations or PS right when they opened and had a very nice time. i echo the sentiments to show up as early as you can.

We've done them all too, and if you have girls with you, nothing can surpass the Princess breakfast. :)

tlovesdis
07-05-2005, 08:14 PM
We did the Princess Breakfast in December and we were not happy with it. We did see about 5 characters, but the food and service were awful. We loved the Lilo and Stitch breakfast at the Paradise Pier. The food was good, service was great, and character interaction was awesome!

tcsnwhite
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I have done the Plaza Inn Princess Breakfast once, and will do it again this month.
The food is great, no doubt about it. was just as good as the other character breakfasts I have been to.

As for character interaction, I only really got to see Fairy Godmother. The other characters were all tied up with others inside. If you sit inside, you will probably see more characters. Overall, I don't worry about it because meet and greets with princesses outside of the restaurant happen all day, and make for better pics. thats just me.

I do it for the chance to just have a nice breakfast. the characters are just an add on. and I'm a character junkie, mind you. :D

plus, all you can eat. my kind of place!

tcsnwhite
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
also, come to think of it, the face characters actually talk with guests, while fuzzies communicate differently. They seem to be able to get around to more guests in a given period of time.
I think the face characters don't get around to as many people because they stop and talk with each group for a longer period of time, as I observed last time.

etixnostalgia
07-06-2005, 04:12 AM
I did it once, and will never go back. We were in the first seating, with priority seating booked in advance.

The crowds were so bad that it was very difficult to get food, and they ran completely out of coffee. This made it bad for the adults.

We had one set of characters come to the table in almost an hour of sitting there, and the location of our table made it difficult to try to flag down characters (or CMs to help flag down characters). This made it bad for the kids.

Hoppypooh
07-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Thank you all very much for the advice! :D

I am a big character junkie and was worried that this breakfast would really turn out to be a disappointment just like the majority of the reviews.
I think I'm going to wait a bit to see if they do change the breakfasts around like DwoernAdale and CinemaGal15 mentioned. Our trip isn't until mid-September.

DrewR
07-06-2005, 08:17 AM
We went last week. We arrived 20 minutes early and were seated after only 5-10 minutes. We had reservations at 0840. My daughter wore her yellow Belle dress. Our kids got to spend time with Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Belle, Pluto, Jane Porter, Peter Pan, Aladdin and Jasmine, The food was very good. The characters were great. The guests seemed to be more of the problem than anything else. A character would be at our table and another guest is pulling on her sleeve for attention. Also, an announcement was made inviting kids outside for autographs and pictures with Cinderella. This causes a break down in the system of characters going from table to table and encourages the guests to go seek out the characters instead of waiting for the characters to come to them. As a result, it was a bit chaotic at times. Although it wasn’t terrible, I don’t think we will do the princess breakfast again for a while.

Hawaiian Cinderella
07-06-2005, 03:14 PM
one word.......................sucks.................. .....

Osky
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
one word.......................awesome!............... .....

TP2000
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
The one time I did the Princess breakfast thing with some family and little nieces it was HORRIBLE.

We did have one, lone Princess stop by our table for 90 seconds, which was a highlight. But the food was downright nasty. (Think breakfast food at a children's summer camp, after the cook partied too much the night before).

The service was some of the worst I've ever encountered; the CM's looked sloppy and disheveled, like they just woke up after sleeping in their uniforms. There wasn't enough staff on, and the entire establishment seemed hectic and out of control.

The crowd control process of simply getting in to the dining room was horrid and mismanaged.

The Princess Breakfast at Disneyland's Plaza Inn is simply a terrible experience and a giant waste of money and time. Save your vacation from ruin and avoid it at all costs!

TP2000
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I did it once, and will never go back. We were in the first seating, with priority seating booked in advance.

The crowds were so bad that it was very difficult to get food, and they ran completely out of coffee. This made it bad for the adults.

Perfect example of how mismanaged this thing is. How on God's green earth does a major restaurant at Disneyland run out of coffee at breakfast?!?! It's not like this is a little mom and pop place that got an unexpected rush one morning.

They plan this thing months in advance, they do it every day, seven days a week. And they have the support of one of the largest single-site food and beverage operations in America. And they run out of coffee at breakfast?!?

Avoid the Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn until they hang a banner over the entrance that says "Under New Management!".

DisneylandRocks29
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Honestly in Disneyland, our trips never involve eating. We always bring food to the room like bagels and such. We did though, eat at Goofy's Kitchen one time, and the Monorail Cafe was really good, but I heard they closed it down.