PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

80S ERA
02-07-2002, 09:42 AM
On Mousepad, there are many here (myself included) that have expressed concern about the lack of theming in DCA. During a recent visit to DCA, I had the opportunity to enjoy a part of DCA that does not spare any detail on theming: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

The place, along with the entire land, is by far the best themed area of the park -- on par with quality we've grown to expect from Disney parks. Details like the scenery, cast member uniforms, and wilderness sound effects makes it easy to forget the reality of being in a theme park.

This place will only get better with time. The only flaw I observed was in the areas where pine trees are still too young and small, making it possible to see the nearby Paradise Pier hotel. As time passes, the trees will eventually mature and cover the outside from almost all angles.

Gemini Cricket
02-07-2002, 10:41 AM
As per today's MP article, just try not to strike your head on the slide at the end.
:)

bluepearl
02-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Last time I went in that area, there's a patch between the Grand Californian Hotel and the park that looks a little weedy and unkempt. It's on the left side as you head into Condor Flats from the Grizzly area. Is that part of the charm? ;) I really like the walkways there though, even if we don't spend a lot of time in that area. I prefer it more than the walkway through Pacific Wharf (sorry but the music down that walkway doesn't sit well with me).

Brown Monkey
02-07-2002, 12:28 PM
The first time we went to DCA, we skipped the challenge trail because we thought it was just for kids. Big mistake! The second time we went, we gave it are a try and found out that this is one of the funnest places in the park. And my group was all in their 20's! All you adults out there, don't pass this place up. You'll love it! I especially liked the ropes on the zip cord! When it stops at the end, you get swung far up into the air. Very fun! :D I agree that the theming is also one of the best in the park. This is where I felt most "immersed" in my surroundings. It is also a nice touch that the Grand Californian's rooms are right next to the area. Literally. Everyone, go check this place out!

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Does it have the same hours as DCA? Or does it open later/close early?

Also, we have a 3 year old and a 7 year old. My 3 year old isn't tall enough for some of the attractions there. Is there enough to keep him occupied while the 7 year old experiences some of the things he can't?

Dave Z
02-07-2002, 12:48 PM
My 9 year old enjoyed our first trip to DCA in part because of the Challenge trail. It was hard to get her out of there.

She is still just an innocent kid enjoying what life puts in front of her. She doesn't spend any time working out the value of the admission $ like we might, she just runs to the next thing like I did in 1956, my first time at DL.

I try to learn from her and her youthful exuberance and not dwell on the cost. It helps, tho, that DCA is now included in the APs and Multi-day tickets, I must admit.

I think that Julie's memories of her first visits to DL and DCA will remain as sweet as mine are of DL.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Try climbing around on the rope-net bridges with leather-soled shoes. ;)

cyberRoo
02-07-2002, 01:12 PM
I completely agree! On our first trip to DCA, on a relatively cold and wet evening, we loved the Redwood Creek area, and ranked it as our favorite attraction. Of course, it's one of those places that works best uncrowded, so maybe we should stop talking about it!

80S ERA
02-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Does it have the same hours as DCA? Or does it open later/close early?

Also, we have a 3 year old and a 7 year old. My 3 year old isn't tall enough for some of the attractions there. Is there enough to keep him occupied while the 7 year old experiences some of the things he can't?

Yeah -- you could take him on California Screamin -- he'll have a blast on the first drop. If that doesn't work, you might want to try maliboomer. Both are slow, gentle rides.

Just kidding!:D

Seriously, you might want to check out some of the columns here on MP. I can't recall if it was Adrienne K or AVP who had a great article on activities when taking a young child to the parks?

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 02:00 PM
One of the coolest things there, IMHO, is the Fire Finder in one of the towers. It's exactly like the one at the Buck Rock lookout point up in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I was impressed by that level of detail. If only they could bring TSI up to the quality of the Challenge Trail. :(

FEJ
02-07-2002, 03:25 PM
I love running around the Nets, tumbling down, being a kid

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

Seriously, you might want to check out some of the columns here on MP. I can't recall if it was Adrienne K or AVP who had a great article on activities when taking a young child to the parks?

Oh yes - we go quite often. We are some of the APers who actually like going to DCA. My 3 year old's favorite ride is the purple car on the ferris wheel. NOT the orange ones which don't give as good of a ride. We get in and he says "are you ready to scream?" and then proceeds to scream as loudly as he can with every swoop. The operators generally think he is miserable until the ride is over and he cries because we have to get off. :(

And as you pointed out - there are some great articles about the kids and the parks.

DisneylandKid
02-07-2002, 07:29 PM
I think that RCCC is one of the best attractions too! And, as someone noted, in the years to come, it should be even more themed as the trees grow to really house it. When DL first opened, the ROA was almost bare---look @ it now!

Oh, and you think I love RCCC? Look at my signature? It has been the attraction of the day for the past few weeks!