PDA

View Full Version : Indy jeep. I gotta get me one of those.

BiggJakeMoney
02-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Disney needs to auction off a couple of their non-operable Indy jeeps right now. They must have a few sitting around, as when the ride first opened, they only had two green jeeps in the sixteen jeep fleet. The past few times I've been to Disneyland, there have been at least four green ones, meaning a few have been put out to pasture.

I want an Indy jeep. I want one now. Words cannot describe how cool it would be to park that 6-ton monster in the middle of my lawn in the back yard and sit in it when I'm feeling nutty.

Price is of no concern to me. I'll drop 30,000 grand on that sucker, no hesitation. Disney, you listening to me? Throw one up on Ebay right now, I'll make you a little bit richer.

-BJM

Nigel2
02-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Well basically all you would probably get is the shell from the car since it is a "Technology Item" and if it doesn't work anymore it will have the same fate all all but 1 of the rocket rods, demolition (the ebay one was a promo one that never could run anyway). Plus shipping would problably be a pain like the Blimp from Journey into Imagination

Uncle Dick
02-06-2002, 11:29 PM
What would be really cool, is if you fit the body onto regular jeep components and go cruisin' round town. You might want to fix the steering wheel though.

BiggJakeMoney
02-06-2002, 11:35 PM
Hehehehe.....

Maybe when I'm rich and famous, I'll befriend Eisner, if he's still president. I'll get him to sell me the jeep, hydraulic undercarriage and all. Then I'll get me an eight-mile-long extension cord, plug that transport into the den wall-socket, and bounce and jolt my way all over La Crescenta, as awed motorists stop and look on.

Okay, that is just the coolest thing ever. No one would be cutting me off on the street, that's for sure. I'd eat their puny SUV's for a mid-afternoon snack.

-BJM

Nigel2
02-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by BiggJakeMoney
Hehehehe.....

Maybe when I'm rich and famous, I'll befriend Eisner, if he's still president. I'll get him to sell me the jeep, hydraulic undercarriage and all. Then I'll get me an eight-mile-long extension cord, plug that transport into the den wall-socket, and bounce and jolt my way all over La Crescenta, as awed motorists stop and look on.

-BJM

Well you do have to stop if you want to shoot straight.:D

Are the carriages made out of fiberglass or metal? For some reason I can't remember, I beleive they are fiberglass but I can't be too sure.

BiggJakeMoney
02-07-2002, 12:17 AM
"Well you do have to stop if you want to shoot straight."

Very nice, Nigel2, quite appropriate for the conversation at hand.:)

As far as I can tell, the actual cab of the jeep is made of fiberglass. I've felt the hood when I've boarded, and it doesn't have that cold, stiff feeling that characterizes metal. It seems a bit lighter to the touch, and has a different consistency than metal would. Besides, I would think that with a cab that's big enough to seat twelve, if it were made of metal it would probably weight a good 1000-1500 lbs., and I don't think the hydraulic structure could effectively support that kind of weight, plus the weight of the passengers combined. I do belive the undercarriage, and the hydraulic rams and computer housings are made of metal, though. That 12,000 lbs. has to come from somewhere.

-BJM

Nigel2
02-07-2002, 12:20 AM
Oh did I ever tell you (I said this on another thread) about the time I was about to get into a jeep on indy and a car broke a hydraulic and caused a skid?

BiggJakeMoney
02-07-2002, 12:25 AM
No, that sounds quite interesting.

Please, share your tale with the rest of us.:)

-BJM

Nigel2
02-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Well you werent arround long enough, well appently I am lucky/cursed (its how you view it) and I have been on a whole lot of rides that have broken down with me on it (indy counts since we were in the car, it just never left the load area). Well at the last turn after the boulder a car busted a hydraulic and skidded (it didn't break off). Nobody got hurt I beleive but it took over an hour to clean up the oil and then they had to follow the car with towels to clean up the oil on the wheels. Very long process, got 2 rides and a pass so it was worth it.

BiggJakeMoney
02-07-2002, 12:38 AM
I say lucky. I've always wanted to break down on that ride, and get a walkout. I think it would be neat.

As to the jeep busting a hydraulic ram, that's pretty creepy. In fact, the jeeps in general are quite creepy when they're operating. I've heard numerous stories about them acting up. Always backing up, and lurching forth when they're not supposed to, and all the Indy CM's are supposedly terrified of them. Add to that the fact that the jeeps aren't even guided along the ride by the track. The track just provides power. They're actually guided along by their electrically driven wheels, and the wheels' preset computer program. God forbid the ride computers ever had a meltdown or massive computational error, there'd be nothing stopping the jeeps from going whilly-nilly all over the place, even rolling straight into the lava pit.

What a fiasco that would be.

-BJM