PDA

View Full Version : DLR vs. WDW Rides...

Doug
07-02-2005, 03:44 PM
How do rides like HM and PoTC differ at the two parks, I just found out that the mansion looks (outside at least) totally different.... Also heard that there is a larger que area for ToT, that is more interesting.... info? Pics? Thanks!

coronado_g
07-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Yes, I've also heard that the PotC and the ToT are different in the DL and WDW. Of corse, everything is BIGGER in WDW - that's a given.

TP2000
07-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Of corse, everything is BIGGER in WDW - that's a given.

Not really. The Pirates of the Caribbean at WDW is half the size of Disneyland's, and vastly inferior. It's 7 minutes long instead of 15 minutes long, and major show scenes and portions of the Disneyland attraction are simply missing at WDW with no attempt to compensate.

The Country Bear Jamboree at WDW only has one theater, while Disneyland's version had two identical theaters which offered twice the capacity and half the waiting time.

The pre-show at WDW's Tiki Room is vastly inferior, noticeably smaller, and not nearly as enchanting.

The it's a small world at WDW also has a shorter trip time than Disneyland's, and is missing lots of stuff that Disneyland has.

The riverboat at WDW is smaller and squatter. Their river also doesn't have the Sailing Ship Columbia or the Canoes. It's just that one stumpy looking riverboat that goes around, which handles fewer people and causes longer waits than at Disneyland where the Columbia immediately replaces the departing Mark Twain at the dock on busy days and in summer.

There are endless examples like this. The things that do happen to be bigger at WDW are primarily their Castle, which is HUGE, and most of their walkways which are giant, gently curving superhighways compared to the narrow meandering paths in Disneyland.

Germboy
07-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I asked this very same question for almost 30 years until I went to WDW last December. Boy what a difference between the two.

The first thing you notice is the property in Florida is more like a city. In fact, there is so much land, it is almost as if they have a hard time filling it up. Huge areas are completely undeveloped and you take what amount to freeway offramps to get from one park to the next. The parking lots there are massive and the monorail tracks go for miles.

The next two BIG differences I noticed were the service and presentation. Anaheim's CM's are mostly attractive, young, and the whole operation is rigid in comparison. At WDW, CM's were older (and no offense, but sort of plain, average looking), but their demeanor was laid back, genuinely happy, and helpful. They have table service there too! The restaurant we went to on Main St at WDW reminded me more of the table service at the chicken dinner restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. In fact, we returned three times during our stay because of the people waiting the tables. All of them are like a family, and it showed. They joked around alot and seemed unpressured.

The parks themselves at WDW, especially Magic Kingdom, seemed older and less polished than Anaheim. Dead grass or holes in the grass, little in the way of bright colorful flowers (lots of green bushes), overflowing ashtrays, etc.

WDW's parades also seemed older (floats, etc.) and although they put on a great show, the performers in the parade didn't seem as "Hollywood" as Anaheim. They are also still using a lot of the old Jack Wagner announcements that they did away with in Anaheim (WHICH I LOVED!) The costumes in the parades also weren't as elaborate at WDW.

As far as rides, I hated their Tomorrowland-- too busy and too many arcade-type carnival rides (although Anaheim's is currently in a lousy condition too). Their POTC was so un-notable, I really don't even remember it. I know they are missing a lot of scenes, but there are a few that Anaheim doesn't have. The HM was mediocre. The Tiki Room there is HORRIBLE--big waste of time--they ruined it. Big Thunder back there seems desolate and in the middle of nowhere. They still have burning log cabin on Tom Sawyer's Island, but their island isn't as inviting and I agree, the boats were kind of small. Their Space Mountain is very similar to the Matterhorn in Anaheim (track-wise, where there are two tracks on either side). One of the big things I noticed too, is that there IS no Matterhorn in Florida. Small World was closed when I was there, but it is VASTLY different on the outside than Anaheim's--looks more like a store front in a strip mall. Fantasyland in Florida was never updated like Anaheim's was, so it still looks medieval.

arpinl
07-04-2005, 01:18 PM
How do rides like HM and PoTC differ at the two parks, I just found out that the mansion looks (outside at least) totally different.... Also heard that there is a larger que area for ToT, that is more interesting.... info? Pics? Thanks!

The HM's are pretty similar in both parks, in my opinion, although I think the DLR one is slightly better (no giant day-glo spiders, for one thing). But I think WDW gets major points for having a covered queue area.

POTC, as others have mentioned, is very different and also better at DLR. That being said, it is still very much a worthwhile ride (i.e. in Florida), especially if you are a big Pirates fan.

As for Tower of Terror, I would say that the WDW ride is vastly superior--and yes, the queue is larger and better.

Doug
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Ok, so, why are the paths so big, yet the rides so 'lame'?

There are endless examples like this. The things that do happen to be bigger at WDW are primarily their Castle, which is HUGE, and most of their walkways which are giant, gently curving superhighways compared to the narrow meandering paths in Disneyland.

Doug
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
About the young CM's at DLR, probaby because young people are the only ones that will tolerate the abuse I have heard they receive there!

Jack Wagner announcements?? Who? Have an audio clip?

Small world looks bad in WDW? Does anyone have a pic? A pic of the bigger castle would be nice also!

The next two BIG differences I noticed were the service and presentation. Anaheim's CM's are mostly attractive, young, and the whole operation is rigid in comparison. At WDW, CM's were older (and no offense, but sort of plain, average looking), but their demeanor was laid back, genuinely happy, and helpful.

They are also still using a lot of the old Jack Wagner announcements that they did away with in Anaheim (WHICH I LOVED!)
Small World was closed when I was there, but it is VASTLY different on the outside than Anaheim's--looks more like a store front in a strip mall. Fantasyland in Florida was never updated like Anaheim's was, so it still looks medieval.