PDA

View Full Version : concierge at GCH

Fearless Mouse
07-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Is the concierge level at GCH worth the money? Ive read the details of it and it doesnt seem like much for the money so I was wondering peoples thoughts of it.
Are the rooms bigger? Are the rooms only DTD or Park view or do you still have to request those?? Thanks

Leash81
07-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Is the concierge level at GCH worth the money? Ive read the details of it and it doesnt seem like much for the money so I was wondering peoples thoughts of it.
Are the rooms bigger? Are the rooms only DTD or Park view or do you still have to request those?? Thanks

We are going July 7-12 so I can let you know once I get back, or even while I'm there if I can convince my boyfriend to let me use his precious laptop. Um I think that all views are available. We have a view of the courtyard because that was all that was left when I booked but I know that they had given me DTD and TP view options when I had called to check prices.
One thinkg that I am really going to like is the free breakfast in the morning as well as the free snacks throughout the day. We aren't big breakfast people but like a little something and if the food service is still as backed up as it has been then I will be glad to not have to wait in those lines.

10-97
07-02-2005, 01:30 PM
We upgraded to concierge two years ago when we stayed at GCH. There were four of us, two adults and two kids, and we thought it was worth it. I believe all views are available. The concierge lounge is on the 6th floor, faces north toward Disneyland, and has a balcony with a good view. The balcony is a nice place to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening. For convenience, request a 6th-floor room if you upgrade to concierge. I believe some of the 6th-floor rooms are slightly larger than those on the lower floors, but I'm not sure.

For us, having breakfast in the lounge was a big plus. This was in July, and we like to get to the park early when we go in the summer. The lounge opened at 6:30 am. Breakfast included bagels (optional toasting, lox, cream cheese), muffins, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, milk, and juice; everybody found something they liked. If one of us was slow to wake up, the others would bring food back to the room, and eat on the balcony We had plenty of time to wake up, shower, have a nice breakfast, and still get to the park for the 8:00 opening.

After breakfast, the food choices in the lounge were very limited. I remember early afternoon choices as fruit, cookies, and chips. Late afternoon added wine, beer, cheese, crackers, and veggies with dips. You could always take two bottles of soda or water per person when you left the lounge. This was no substitute for a regular lunch or dinner, but it was a convenient way to grab a snack and stay hydrated.

If the Disneyland Resort continues to have problems with food service in the parks, eating at the hotels might be the best option.

My recommendation is to try the concierge upgrade someday, and compare it to your other experiences.

hlbtimes2
07-02-2005, 02:18 PM
From everything I've read, it really depends on what is important to you and what you enjoy. If you are looking at strictly at a $$ point of view- probably not worth it. Its over $100 a day. That goes a long way toward snack, drinks and breakfast. But, add in the extra care you get- turn down service at night (including treats), your room picked up every time you leave, the staff to help you make arrangements, priority check in/ out, dvd's to take to your room to watch, etc. If these things appeal to you- then yes its worth it!

We are staying at PP in Oct, and opted to upgrade to conc. service.

sierranevada
07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
We have stayed twice GC concierge and they have added to the evening snack menu - now it is hot appetizers that change nightly and the drink selection now includes after dinner drinks... Baileys, Brandy, Kaluha...yummy! Personally, I love it! It is the best value when we have larger groups - 5 or more because breakfast, snacks, WATER ($3/bottle!), sodas, etc. really start to add up. Nothing worse than going to breakfast and paying $10 - $20 for a kid who eats a bowl of cereal! It also is a great place to watch the fireworks - however, not sure how the new show views from the lounge.

Ms.Pecks
07-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Having booked concierge many times at all three Disney hotels I think the only one I would ever do again is at the Disneyland Hotel. We've stayed at the GCH twice this year (both times with concierge) and have found the staff to be rather 'stuffy' for lack of a better word. $150 a night is a lot of money for a hotel that is more geared for adults.

kohl
07-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Is the $150 a night for the room and service, or the $150 added on top of your room rate?

hlbtimes2
07-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Is the $150 a night for the room and service, or the $150 added on top of your room rate?

In addition to the cost of the room. For example a regular rack rate for a theme park view, is about $350, conc. level with theme park view is $470 a night.

07-03-2005, 08:01 AM
From everything I've read, it really depends on what is important to you and what you enjoy.

Exactly! "Is it worth it?" has an individual answer and could easily change from visit to visit.