PDA

View Full Version : What Is In The Way?

Doug
07-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Growing up, the way we knew we where getting close to Dland was when we saw the Matterhorn, what is currently blocking the view from the 5? Is it the parking structure? Something else?

SCUBAbe
07-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Growing up, the way we knew we where getting close to Dland was when we saw the Matterhorn, what is currently blocking the view from the 5? Is it the parking structure? Something else?

I still see the matterhorn from the freeway. I would always get excited when i saw the monorail running on the outskirts of the park..:)

nsyncitnd1787
07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
i can still see the Matterhorn from I-5. but there are some trees in the way. but they help to muffle out some of the noise from all of the trafic. so i don't mind not seeing MH from a further distance north.

Barbossa
07-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I remember there was also some van lines office building that had this big globe near the freeway. It was another clue that we were near Disneyland (alas, we drove by it more than we went in it). Does anyone remember this?

ToursbabeC3po
07-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Oh I remember the Globe!!! I was very young so not sure what it was. I use to go past Disney going to the doctors office of all places and the rail road tracks were a clue I was getting close to Disneyland too!
Toursbabe

munchkinsmom0003
07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't have an answer to the original question about what's in the way of the Matterhorn, but I also remember the Globe, Barbossa! My brother and I would get really excited about being close to Disneyland when we'd see that.

Now my children use the Taco Bell Discovery Science Center ("Mommy, Mommy! I see the Big Black Box!!!") in Santa Ana as a way to tell that we're getting close to Disneyland. :)

Rouxe1688
07-04-2005, 09:06 PM
First time I went to disneyland I was lying in the bed that rest above the drivers seat of my grandma's RV, the first thing I saw was the matterhorn. Wow, that was seven years ago. Doesn't seem that long. I was SO excited.

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I remember the globe too!!!! I remember my parents driving along I5 from LA and that drive seemed like eternity as a little kid.

The Mouse Is Back
07-04-2005, 09:23 PM
They re-routed that portion of the 5 when all the new construction in the "resort area" (I still hate that) took place. You can no longer see the Matterhorn looming right next to the freeway. You can kinda sorta see it, but the view is definitely not the same (and not as exciting, IMO).

-Allegra-

redcon1
07-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Coming up from the south on I-5, I remember seeing the Wells Fargo Bank building which would be a tip-off to start looking for the Matterhorn.
Being from the midwest where we didn't have Wells Fargo banks, that building stuck in my mind, because it reminded me of the song "Wells Fargo Wagon" from the Music Man play.

TikiGeek
07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
I remember the globe. Nowdays we use the ToT as the landmark for the "park". Coming up I-5 you see ToT before you see the Matterhorn. :)

mad4mky
07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Seeing the Matterhorn from the freeway was the BEST. It meant we were finally THERE.

I tell my kids about that all the time...about the excitment of seeing the Matterhorn from the freeway.
They just roll their eyes at me... :rolleyes: :(