PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Ranch

justagrrl
02-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Will Big Thunder Ranch open again? (it's a "food place" right?)

If so - when?

Have you been there before? What was the experience like?

disneynut
02-06-2002, 09:19 AM
Big Thunder Ranch used to be a really good bbq place. They had chicken, ribs, coleslaw, beans. Kinda like I picture one of those dude ranch atmospheres to be like. Rustic. My family really enjoyed it. They've moved the menu over to rancho del zocalo. You can eat there if you can ever find a time they are open. (I think mainly weekends) They also have a Mexican food side but I've never tried that. I like the bbq too much. :)

Dlandmom
02-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I really miss that bbq. However, Rancho del Zocalo is a decent replacement over in Frontierland...the portions are huge (unfortunately, the prices are a little huge, too, but at least you get what you pay for).

Sheila
02-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Will Big Thunder Ranch open again? (it's a "food place" right?)

If so - when?

Have you been there before? What was the experience like?

The BBQ is closed permanently. The last rumor I heard is that the corporate picnic stuff would be moved to the BBQ area and then a new attraction (most rumored is Geyser Mountain) would be put in the Festival of Fools arena.

For a long time, the rumor mill had it that Tony Baxter's fabulous Discovery Bay idea was going to go in there and over the northern end of Tom Sawyer's Island. However, with the cost cutting of the last few years, Discovery Bay will probably never happen.

Of course, this is all continuously subject to change (except of course for the BBQ -- it resides permanently in Yesterland).

I really miss the BBQ -- a fire always burned in the open pit in the middle and Western music played over the speakers. It was hard to believe that the concrete jungle of Anaheim was only few feet away from this little western oasis....

:sniff: I really miss it. One of my favs.

Sheila

MammaSilva
02-06-2002, 02:06 PM
oh you youngsters.....I miss the REAL Big Thunder Ranch, with the petting zoo and Mickey Moo the cow with the mickey icon on her buttocks...and the minature donkeys and just a relaxing place to spend a few quality moments.....I do miss the BBQ as well, it was wonderful, and we were lucky enough to eat there when Billy Hill and the boys were there while the TS show took over the Golden Horseshoe.....that made it even more special :(

Gemini Cricket
02-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
The last rumor I heard is that the corporate picnic stuff would be moved to the BBQ area and then a new attraction (most rumored is Geyser Mountain) would be put in the Festival of Fools arena.

What's Geyser Mountain? :confused:
Sounds intriguing...

Sheila
02-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad
What's Geyser Mountain? :confused:
Sounds intriguing...

In 25 words or less, it was going to be a "reverse" Tower of Terror (meaning, the elevator is pushed up instead of down). If I recall, the storyline was that you would be going on a tour of a mine and then something goes terribly wrong. A geyser erupts and your mine elevator is pushed up the shaft by water. Or something like that.

It was going to be part of the whole Discovery Bay concept: San Francisco, mining, Jules Verne kind of stuff. It was way cool.

Sheila

mad4mky
02-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
oh you youngsters.....I miss the REAL Big Thunder Ranch, with the petting zoo and Mickey Moo the cow with the mickey icon on her buttocks...and the minature donkeys and just a relaxing place to spend a few quality moments.....I do miss the BBQ as well, it was wonderful, and we were lucky enough to eat there when Billy Hill and the boys were there while the TS show took over the Golden Horseshoe.....that made it even more special :(

I'm with you on this mammasilva. I remember the nice calm days back on the "ranch".

Plus, I think the new mexican/BBQ...zocoaloa what ever the name of that place is has terrible food. I liked the old Mexican restaraunt...and I liked the old Big Thunder BBQ. I hate change, I hate change...:(

Calming down now. Actually, I really don't like the new restaraunt. I just didn't care for the taste of the food. Life will go on...I'd rather eat at The Blue Bayou anyways.

Gemini Cricket
02-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
Life will go on...I'd rather eat at The Blue Bayou anyways.

Actually, I heard they were going to change it into a McDonald's. The Blue McBayou.

I'm totally kidding...
:D

mad4mky
02-06-2002, 03:32 PM

Actually, I heard they were going to change it into a McDonald's. The Blue McBayou.

Well, I know three girls in my house who'd be happy to hear that!!

But, what a sacrilege...better watch what you say around here...you could be shot for committing blasphmy!

I'm totally kidding...
:D ;)

MickeyD
02-06-2002, 03:47 PM

:D LOL:D

Sheila
02-06-2002, 05:03 PM

I got you beat by a mile. ;) When I was little girl, I remember taking the mine train through the Rainbow Caverns (which was there where the BBQ is now) and getting to go on the donkey ride. Not to mention getting to look at all the cool rocks and mining stuff in the little wood shack they had as a souvenir stand at the end of the ride.

Sheila

Ace
02-06-2002, 05:41 PM
fox is paying for the ride that's going to go there. when good farm animals go bad 4! it's based on the indy technology.

lisap
02-06-2002, 06:25 PM
oh you youngsters.....I miss the REAL Big Thunder Ranch, with the petting zoo and Mickey Moo the cow with the mickey icon on her buttocks...and the minature donkeys and just a relaxing place to spend a few quality moments.....

I don't have a lot of pet peeves about DL, but this is my main one--getting rid of that wonderful natural corner for some paved ugly corporate banqueting pit. I so glad some other people miss Big Thunder Ranch. :(

Dlandmom
02-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

Plus, I think the new mexican/BBQ...zocoaloa what ever the name of that place is has terrible food. I liked the old Mexican restaraunt...and I liked the old Big Thunder BBQ. I hate change, I hate change...:(

Do you really not like it? It's definitely not the same old Big Thunder bbq, but I think it's decent if you're in the mood for bbq type stuff...anyhow, I don't mind it...I definitely miss the original, though, I can't remember what it was called, but I used to get their huge sampler type platter...yummy!