PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland/DCA attendance figures published

coronamouseman
02-06-2002, 05:53 AM
LA Times this morning published figures compiled by Amusement Business regarding top theme park attendance in the USA:

WDW Magic Kingdom 14.78M
Disneyland 12.35M
WDW Epcot 9.01M
WDW Disney Studios 8.37M
WDW Animal Kingdom 7.77M
Universal Studios (FL) 7.29M
Islands of Adventure 5.52M
SeaWorld (FL) 5.10M
California Adventure 5.00M
Universal Studios (CA) 4.73M

A couple of opinions regarding these numbers:

(1) No wonder Disney corporate folks feel no pain from Wall Street on the theme park side - these numbers show them to be the clear-cut leader in the business in the US

(2) If you only look at the numbers (which many people have been saying are Disney's ONLY concern at present), then DCA was marginally successful: (A) it beat the local competition (Universal, SFMM, Knott's); (B) it proves that Disney's multiple gate philosophy will work regardless of the public or general opinion of a park

(3) Opinions of park officiandos such as those of us posting to these threads probably don't carry much sway at the top levels since the numbers don't point to any glaring problems

(4) What a chore Barry Diller is facing in terms of Universal's parks - no wonder they are focusing internationally since they are running a poor second in Florida and can't even beat the mediocre DCA in California

(5) Is there any reason to question the DCA numbers, given all of the reports about the place being empty?

Anybody else care to comment?

80S ERA
02-06-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
California Adventure 5.00M
(5) Is there any reason to question the DCA numbers, given all of the reports about the place being empty?

Anybody else care to comment?

DCA's numbers can be decieving. A large amount of DCA's attendance are from park hopping and AP's, not to mention the heavy discounting including kids free admission, adults for kids' price, 2 parks for $49, etc...

I also read the Sunday article that the OC register published on DCA and it also released the attendance figures for the year.

Ghoulish Delight
02-06-2002, 07:04 AM
True, much of DCAs numbers are from promotional deals, but the same can be said of all parks. Everyone was coming up with discounts fast and furious. I mean, Universal has been practically giving APs away for the past 4 months. So they all end up on a pretty level playing field.

bluepearl
02-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Well, Universal wasn't too much behind DCA. I have to say that I like DCA a whole lot more than I enjoy Universal. I don't find that elevator ride all the way down the mountain fun (I think it's the height thing).

But anyway, weren't numbers like these published a few weeks ago as well? I can't remember but I thought I read something with similar numbers and such.

80S ERA
02-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
True, much of DCAs numbers are from promotional deals, but the same can be said of all parks. Everyone was coming up with discounts fast and furious. I mean, Universal has been practically giving APs away for the past 4 months. So they all end up on a pretty level playing field.

Good point.

Another note about the OC register's article last Sunday -- they mentioned that 9 out of 10 guests that were polled would recommend DCA to others and that an undisclosed amount felt that the park needed more.

It's interesting what number one would choose to publish.

spacemtncastmbr
02-06-2002, 04:29 PM
California Adventure did good business this past summer and during the holidays, thats how they reached 5 million guests. when people leave this park they do leave happy. i heard from my manager that 80% of guests like the park when they leave. yes i do agree that $43 is a bit expensive and they could use a couple more rides. but i do think that give it a few years and this park could be one of the best parks Disney has ever built. People down in SoCal complain because they are comparing it to Disneyland. And remember,like TDA said "this park is not to compete with Disneyland, it will compliment it". (something along those lines).

Mouse
02-06-2002, 04:32 PM
In the article these #'s were published in there was mention of how the Walt Disney Company did poorly on some fronts (entertainment etc..) but "cost saving measures" at theme parks helped to soften the blow.

I can't help but feel sour towards this yet I know that it is a business they are running...

I’ll simply justify my feelings by chiding the businesspeople for thinking too much about the short term.