PDA

View Full Version : July 1st Rumor For Space Mountain, Come True? [soft opening-merged]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Doug
07-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Ok, it's July 1, if you go to DLR today, or Sat, let us all know if SM is open yet! I have to wait until 7/3 myself to get back there ... so, let us all know!

Mickey
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeeees Please Let Us Know!!!!!

Mickey
07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Is It True? Its Open? :|

DonaldDuck14
07-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Yeeees Please Let Us Know!!!!!

most likely it should be open today. After talking to some of the space mountain cast members, some are dreading the expected rush of peopel for the ride. So count on it being open today and most likely all the way until it's official opening. be advised that since its a "soft opening" it can close at any time for whatever reason.

Opus1guy
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Anyone remember the Opening Day of Space Mountain back in 1977? Yikes. Not only HUGE lines stretching all the way down Main Street, but the darn thing kept breaking down all day long adding to the Guest's frustration. And once you made it up the outside escalator...the queue took over the entire upper level and even ran back and forth through the upper room of the Starcade.

And to top it off, when you got off the ride they handed you a free large "I Survived Space Mountain" bumper sticker. They were the cheap paper kind that once you attached them to anything, they separated very difficultly and left a frosty white image of paper and adhesive behind when you attempted to remove them. Not Disneyland's problem it you used them on your car's bumper. Problem was that many guests were applying them right in the Park! To everything! Benches, trashcans, windows, counters, toilet stalls, inside attractions to anything the guests could reach. I remember seeing them in many of the dark rides of Fantasyland.

Cost the Park many weeks and a fortune in maintenance to find, remove and repair/repaint all the damage caused by this Marketing idea. That was the last time they did that! And any stickers they now give away seem to be the higher quality "shiny" kind that peel off much more easily and cleaner.

I remember that whole day being so chaotic and crazy. But it was still very fun and exciting for most, despite the frustrations. :)

The Starcade was another story that day. Video games in those days were really expensive investments. There was quite a debate on whether or not Guests would spend enough time and (gasp) quarters to make the thing turn a profit. After all...Guests didn't come to Disneyland to play those kinds of things. They could do that anywhere!

Well...first day's "take" pushed 20 grand. That ended that debate pretty darn fast! :)

SoCalSteven
07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, I hope to be there at opening on Sunday if it is really running. Hopefully then I can avoid an insane line.

socaltexan02
07-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Who else is dying to hear an official/unofficial report on Space Mountain today? As if I don't have anything better to do today, I keep checking in to see if there's a post like "I'm a regular person and I rode it today!" :p I don't know why b/c I'm not going to be there this weekend anyway...but I will be on the 6th!

AVP
07-01-2005, 11:12 AM
It's open. 90-minute line as of 10:00.

AVP

socaltexan02
07-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Ah! Thanks for the answers! Apologies if this is a dumb question but is it a FP ride? (I can imagine the line just to GET a FP will be big, too!)

Disneyphile
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Just heard another update - it's up to a 115 minute wait as of a half hour ago. :D

Tinkerbelle
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
yes, it is a FP ride. ;)

Darkbeer
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
yes, it is a FP ride. ;)

But don't expect it during the Soft Openings, at least the first week or so... Currently it is Stand-By ONLY.

I rode it this morning, got in line shortly before 10 AM, and it broke down once while in line...

Photos are being downloaded as I speak...

cstephens
07-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Guess this means I'm driving down to Anaheim in about 15 minutes after all...

CrazyTrain
07-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Hee hee.

mkyears
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Hee hee.
Rode it this morning waited 45 minutes was 85 by the time I got out. It's pretty much the same with some new effects in the beggining. It was nice to ride it again though.

disney jones
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Guess this means I'm driving down to Anaheim in about 15 minutes after all...Guess this means I'm driving down to Anaheim next Wednesday night after all...

CrazyTrain
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm just sad that while so many people are standing in line for hours I won't be able to get down there to enjoy the empty queues of the other rides. ;)

JWL
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Went there this morning @10 a.m. and had folks in lines even on the top patio-like area. No fastpasses. Bring a lawn chair as you will be waiting for a while. Park is packed ta boot. Maybe 10p.m. will be better.

Colin
07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't Believe it, 5 days after I leave :'(

*Bangs head against the wall*

Probably be 2 years before I can come out again :(

Oh well, Space Mountain: Mission 2 again in 14 days!!! YAY!!!

C°o°lin

Doug
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow (grr!), will have to wait until Sunday to go.... but, I will probably be back the following Sat, hehe... I often go just about every weekend anyways! haha, I try to keep my picture taking to under 500 a day ;)

Oh, speaking of pictures, anyone have video or pics from SM?!?!

Doug
07-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Ok, so, where are theses photos?!

But don't expect it during the Soft Openings, at least the first week or so... Currently it is Stand-By ONLY.

I rode it this morning, got in line shortly before 10 AM, and it broke down once while in line...

Photos are being downloaded as I speak...

Earkid
07-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Ok, so, where are theses photos?!Here http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/629428

You may want to bookmark his home page cuz he is always putting up new pics. :fez:

Darkbeer rocks!!

Opus1guy
07-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't see any corporate sponsorship of this major E Ticket attraction. A whole lot less attraction sponsorships going on in the parks, it seems. Ya think Disney is asking way too much money these days?

Thanks for the pictures Darkbeer. :)

SilverStyle
07-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Its been open since early this morning, followed by a downtime. Haha

SoCalSteven
07-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't see any corporate sponsorship of this major E Ticket attraction. A whole lot less attraction sponsorships going on in the parks, it seems. Ya think Disney is asking way too much money these days?
Yea, where did FedEx go? Go figure...