PDA

View Full Version : White socks a no-no

Pages : [1] 2

The Photographer
02-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Hey there, this is my first post. Yeah me. So I heard that Disney does not allow their employees to wear white socks because it's a symbol of poverty. A guy who works in Downtown Disney got written up last week for his socks.

So I suppose all the hundreds of thousands..ok nowadays it's just hundreds of people who patronize DL and CA in their white socks are poor! How on Earth can those homeless people afford the $43 tickets, $2.50 Cokes and $40 sweatshirts? Wowee. they must be on some sorta high-class welfare plan.

Any thoughts?

MonorailMan
02-05-2002, 09:31 PM
First of All, Welcome To MousePad, and many lost hours! :)

Dress code is dress code, deal with it, I know it's stupid, but hey, they have to draw the (White) line somewhere :)

bluepearl
02-05-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't know why they require everyone to wear black socks, but that reasoning is pretty shocking. I personally hate wearing black socks (don't know why, perhaps it's just an odd psychological thing), and even though no one sees my black socks, I feel really uncomfortable in them. I would much rather prefer my thick cotton white ankle socks!

I have heard of some people doing sock checks. That really surprised me.

MammaSilva
02-05-2002, 09:51 PM
well I sincerely doubt the ban on white socks is due to the "appearance of poverty", a more likely guess would be that dark socks blend with the dark colored uniforms and don't tend to show dirt quite as easily as dark socks....

Polar33
02-05-2002, 10:32 PM
The reasons for requiring all CMs to wear black socks are probably the same reasosn for requireing all CMs to wear black shoes. Conformity is number one, we all look like part of a big team if we are all adhearing to the "disney look". Also, black looks more professional, not to mention it goes with everything.

Bluepearl, black dress socks don't agree with me very well either. Check around some shoe stores to see if they carry black cotton socks. I found some about a month after I hired in and they feal no different than what I wore before I hired-on.

Sock checks happen...but unless it is something that happens everytime you probably won't get more than a warning.

bluepearl
02-05-2002, 10:35 PM
A-ha...well, I would still like to wear my white socks! ;) I had to buy a bag of black socks because I didn't want to have to borrow a pair from my dad!

Polar33: I know that my dad has a bunch of thick cotton black socks, but they're already all faded! Ah well, they're thick and cotton anyway, right?

ripplededge
02-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Polar33: "The reasons for requiring all CMs to wear black socks are probably the same reasosn for requireing all CMs to wear black shoes."

INCORRECT!!! Not all departments where black socks. If you notice, some costumes have shorts, those CM's where white socks...

I wasn't a huge fan of "the black sock"... but now I wear them all the time, even with shorts, and I look like a dork, cause I wear 2 pairs. =)

bluepearl... if you really like to wear white socks, some CM's say black socks feel weird, so what they do is wear a pair of white ones underneath their black pair... it works.

Polar33
02-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Not all departments where black socks. If you notice, some costumes have shorts, those CM's where white socks...

Yah, shorts are the exception to the rule for some reason. Strange of me to forget, that's why some vendors wear shorts all the time no matter how cold it gets...they don't own black socks :)

No Grape Koolaid
02-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl
I don't know why they require everyone to wear black socks, but that reasoning is pretty shocking. I personally hate wearing black socks (don't know why, perhaps it's just an odd psychological thing), and even though no one sees my black socks, I feel really uncomfortable in them. I would much rather prefer my thick cotton white ankle socks!

I have heard of some people doing sock checks. That really surprised me.

This is easy to solve. You wear a pair of thin black dress socks over your comy white socks. That way you get the comfort you want, conform the way you're supposed to, and it's not bulky in your shoes. See, fashion AND comfort can coexist.

blusilva
02-06-2002, 12:52 AM
White socks = poverty? That's news to me.

I'm not a CM, so it doesn't really matter to me, but dang, that's harsh. I own nothing but white socks. That's because I got sick of losing socks to the dryer monster and having mismatched color pairs. So I ditched the color to simplify my life.

I wonder now if everyone looks at me like I'm some sort of white sock trash.

:: looks around with paranoia::

tabacco
02-06-2002, 01:02 AM
I wore white socks all summer. If your costume has shorts, you can get written up for wearing black socks :)

Long pants == Black Socks
Shorts == White socks

Morrigoon
02-06-2002, 02:56 AM
If you wear pants, and boots for your black shoes, you can get away with white socks... as long as they're not visible.

Haldwitten
02-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Ah, the black sock dilemma. I've overheard CM's talking about people wearing white socks in hushed words as if the perpetrators were discovered axe murderers. "Whiiiiiite soooocks," <hisssssss>

It's like some old Far Side cartoon with a CM standing there crying as a manager berates him for white socks... in the middle of Toon Town with the fading paint and broken signs.

I'm fairly certain most all of the transgressors are "new hires" with a million other regulations to remember starting out... or a CM who's at the bottom of the sock drawer, out of time to do anything about it.

I seriously doubt City Hall has ever had to soothe a troubled guest's nerves because they caught a glimpse of a white sock in a black sock environment.

I guess it's easier to harp on the color of socks than to actually spend money on park upkeep. Besides, a "sock check" attraction at DCA might actually be considered exciting compared to the other offerings.

:D

hbquikcomjamesl
02-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Long pants == Black Socks
Shorts == White socks

And Birkenstock sandals? ARGYLE socks! :D

This whole thread reminds me of an old Beetle Bailey strip, in which a memo ordered a "complete sock check" in the mess hall, and there was some discussion of whether it was supposed to be a stock check, or Gen. Halftrack would actually order somebody to check everybody's socks, and the last frame showed Lt. Fuzz sitting on a stool in the mess hall, inspecting everybody's socks.

tabacco
02-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Haldwitten
I'm fairly certain most all of the transgressors are "new hires" with a million other regulations to remember starting out... or a CM who's at the bottom of the sock drawer, out of time to do anything about it.

TEAM centers sell socks. Cruddy ones, but they have 'em for an emergency.

Anyway, again, sock color depends on the pants you're wearing.

bluepearl
02-06-2002, 10:16 AM
This discussion is turning quite humorous. ;) I have thought about the white socks under the black socks thing, but I've gotta get my shoes stretched so that I'm not in agony all day (I had to do it anyway). Well that, and two pairs would certainly do me a favor if I'm working at night.

To add to tabacco's post, they also have vending machines with black socks in them. That made me laugh pretty hard.

mad4mky
02-06-2002, 11:07 AM
Gee, when I worked at The Disney Store a few years back we could ONLY wear white socks...:D

MammaSilva
02-06-2002, 01:08 PM
black socks in the vending machine?????? Now that is too funny!

Ext 4661
02-06-2002, 01:20 PM
wow...i haven't given any thought to this old tradition in a while...

i would definitely recommend the black socks over white...we use do it for the comfort and extra padding after being on our feet all day...added to that, it was easier to get dressed/undressed before and after shifts.

i still remember the sight of a lot of cast members streaming through harbor house in the summer (when everyone was wearing sandals/flipflops) with their black socks in one hand and their time card in the other.

ahh...the old days...

Mouse
02-06-2002, 02:07 PM
A whole thread on socks. What become hot topics one can never guess!

Vansau
02-06-2002, 03:09 PM
I never had to wear socks when I worked there. :)

bluepearl
02-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Mouse: Quite humorous though, no?

Originally posted by Vansau
I never had to wear socks when I worked there. :)

- Something I noticed about the canoe guides. In addition to not being able to give the spiel correctly, this could be another reason I wouldn't be able to work the canoes. ;) But I imagine those moccassins are just like socks, or so my cousin says.

Mouse
02-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Blue: Yes.

I never wear socks either.

Vansau
02-06-2002, 04:58 PM
To be honest, isn't it a fashion no no to wear white socks with dark pants and dark shoes? Not that I especially care, but I still think that it's funny that someone actually thought white socks meant poverty. Dude, no shoes means poverty.

Mouse
02-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Vansau
To be honest, isn't it a fashion no no to wear white socks with dark pants and dark shoes? Not that I especially care, but I still think that it's funny that someone actually thought white socks meant poverty. Dude, no shoes means poverty.

I second that post