PDA

View Full Version : What am I in for? (Parkside Inn and Suites)

kimc0486
06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
I am staying with my boyfriend at Parkside Inn and Suites in September. We chose that place because it was CHEAP. We are both in college so it had to be cheap haha. Anyways, i've heard horror stories, but also some not SO bad things. Anyone stayed there? Heard anything? Should I bring some Raid? Thanks.

Rteneyck
06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
I have stayed there a couple of times for 1 night or so. Our room was all right (very basic, but clean), but the continental breakfast was a joke. There wasn't much selection and it was pretty much gone by the time we got up. I would not want to stay there with my kids, but on my own it was okay because I didn't spend much time in there and I would rather spend my money at the park. Mcdonalds is right next door so you can walk over and get a quick bite to eat if you need to.

kimbopotamus
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Hehehe, yep Raid!

I stayed there for 5 nights in April 2005. I will give you my honest description! ;)
The GOOD: Fast, easy check in! CHEAP! Great parking. Clean, well cared-for pool and poolside seats. Crisp, clean white sheets and super clean linens (towels, blankets, etc.). Shower water perfect temp and worked great. Toilet flushed. TV worked fine. Fridge and nuke in room small, but worked fine. Door locks worked. Great air conditioning!
The BAD: Run-down looking room. Shower curtain rod and towel rod both fell. Windows would not close/lock. Quite a walk to Disneyland maingate.
The UGLY: Housekeepers stole all my pocket change, every day. I got YELLED at by the manager for leaving it in the room. Bugs. Yeah bugs. Brown, fast moving. Big ones, small ones. All over the table by our food stash.

My advice to anyone - if you are used to camping and need a cheap place to fall after a hard day at Disneyland, stay here! The clean sheets were worth the money to me! If you walk to DL, go straight up Disney Drive and through The Grand Californian lobby. That is the quickest, easiest way. Don't leave your change on the room table by all means!
Good luck, and yeah RAID! :D

julia
06-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi,

It is definitely basic, but clean. If money is an issue as it is for you, it is a good choice. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. My only comment is that the housekeeping staff sprays some type of aerosol spray, like Lysol spray, in the rooms which can be strong for some people, especially those who might be allergic to perfumes.

Have a magical day!
Julia

Malcon10t
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I am staying with my boyfriend at Parkside Inn and Suites in September. We chose that place because it was CHEAP. We are both in college so it had to be cheap haha. Anyways, i've heard horror stories, but also some not SO bad things. Anyone stayed there? Heard anything? Should I bring some Raid? Thanks. You might want to check TripAdvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d75661-Reviews-Parkside_Inn_Suites_Maingate_at_Disneyland-Anaheim_California.html The reviews don't look promising.

Also, I don't remember a McDonalds over there. Its on the same side of the road as Paradise Pier. But should be near Cocos and Tiffy's.

Darkbeer
06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.parksidehotels.com/hoteldisplay.asp?hotelid=10

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrparksideinnandsuites

dehnehsu
06-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Parkside Inn & Suites on 1830 West Street. The place is a dump. Having said that, I stayed there a couple times because it was cheap and a place to sleep. One room we stayed in had mold growing on the carpet near the shower. Cheap TVs, cheap looking patches in the walls, Old standard metal keys (easily copied and not the safer magnetic credit card type) You have to pay for the Ice from the machine (50 cents) Pro's... The staff was OK. We paid only $40 a night. You can walk to the park. Free parking, Free Breakfast snacks and juice, Free mini fridge and microwave, Small decent pool, But again a bit of a dump. Try checking rates at the Parkvue Inn instead. It's across the street from D-Land.

kimc0486
07-01-2005, 09:24 AM
We get in at about 5:00 pm so I thought (sad as this sounds haha) we'd get there id spray raid everywhere we'd let it air out and go to dinner and come back and hopefully any unwanted guests would be dead. I'm a college student so i'm used to living in less then great conditions haha, no bugs but not lavish places. Is it safe? I need to bring my laptop to transfer pics from a digital camera. Whats the breakfast like? Should I even bother? When was the last time you stayed there? Would you recommend I bring my own pillows? (i've seen that in some reviews) Thanks!!!

Malcon10t
07-01-2005, 09:38 AM
We get in at about 5:00 pm so I thought (sad as this sounds haha) we'd get there id spray raid everywhere we'd let it air out and go to dinner and come back and hopefully any unwanted guests would be dead. I'm a college student so i'm used to living in less then great conditions haha, no bugs but not lavish places. Is it safe? I need to bring my laptop to transfer pics from a digital camera. Whats the breakfast like? Should I even bother? When was the last time you stayed there? Would you recommend I bring my own pillows? (i've seen that in some reviews) Thanks!!!DO NOT leave your computer. If you have a car, consider locking it in the trunk. The place is only $45 a night, but there are reasons it is only $45 a night.

kimc0486
07-01-2005, 11:00 AM
DO NOT leave your computer. If you have a car, consider locking it in the trunk. The place is only $45 a night, but there are reasons it is only $45 a night.

I was thinking of leaving it in my suitcase which would be locked, good idea or no?

pisces
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Why don't you just stay at Park Place? Do you have something against Best Western? You'd be a lot closer to the Main Gate, and I don't think it's any more expensive either.

kimbopotamus
07-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I was thinking of leaving it in my suitcase which would be locked, good idea or no?

I left my purse in the room, minus the wallet part with the goodies, and it didn't get touched. However, the housekeepers thought my sister was a slob so they completely piled her clean and dirty clothes back in her bags. I thought they weren't supposed to touch personal items...?

Just remember, if your suitcase and laptop are missing, the manager is going to tell you it shouldn't have been left in the room! :rolleyes:

Malcon10t
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Why don't you just stay at Park Place? Do you have something against Best Western? You'd be a lot closer to the Main Gate, and I don't think it's any more expensive either.Park Inn, Park Vue inn, and most of the best westerns run between $70-90 a night. (Park Place is $80) The Parkside is $50. On a college kid's budget, that can be a big difference.

pisces
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
That's anywhere you go. I wouldn't leave valuables in the safe of a 5-star hotel. The ritzy places are even more of a target.

They are only responsible up to a certain amount. I think it's 200.00, but I'm not sure. That's the only amount of valuables/cash that I'll ever leave in a room/safe----whatever the amount they're willing to reimburse for.

Did I hear someone mention a locked suitcase? Oh boy, there's an invitation to be robbed and a plea for that locked to be picked.

I'm constantly losing things all the time. I'm scatterbrained, and on every vacation I've ever been on, I always end up losing something, or leaving it behind. I don't bring anything with me that I cannot afford to lose. All valuables stay home.

pisces
07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Park Inn, Park Vue inn, and most of the best westerns run between $70-90 a night. (Park Place is $80) The Parkside is $50. On a college kid's budget, that can be a big difference.

Oh really? I did not know that. I figured most of the places along Harbor Blvd were about the same. Maybe AAA would knock down the Park Place rate a bit?

It's hard to believe that there's that much variation between the Harbor Motels, but I guess you pay $10.00 +++ , here or there, depending on which is the closer to the crosswalk. Makes sense.

kimc0486
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh really? I did not know that. I figured most of the places along Harbor Blvd were about the same. Maybe AAA would knock down the Park Place rate a bit?

It's hard to believe that there's that much variation between the Harbor Motels, but I guess you pay $10.00 +++ , here or there, depending on which is the closer to the crosswalk. Makes sense.

I'm paying $30.60 per night so I got it way cheap.

rentayenta
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm paying $30.60 per night so I got it way cheap.

That is really cheap but the bugs would flip me out even in my younger undergrad years. I'm a wuss.

pisces
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Ha! Like bugs aren't interested in 5-star accommodations. Bugs today are seeking out the most exclusive of places.

With me, it's about the walk. Plus, that part of September has been known to have heatwaves in Southern California. The temperatures usually soar in September and are at the highest of the whole year.

Can't you use the $30.60 to negotiate a better deal on one of the Harbor Blvd places? That's what I'd do. I'd see if Park Place would be willing to match it, or at least how much they'd be willing to come down in price, based on the $30.60.

That goes on all the time. Price matching and such.