PDA

View Full Version : Which movie, Disney or not, would translate into a great ride at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dgthx
05-11-2001, 11:03 AM
My vote goes to the Matrix. I'm not a huge fan of the film, but the possibilities for a ride for this movie are endless. I think it would best be suited for a dark ride, a la POC. At first, you'd get into a motion simulator that had chairs like the ones the Keanu sat in for his brain tap. Then the motion simulator would transport you into the matrix world. So now the scenery around your chair is different - matrixy. You then would get into some sort of futuristic vehicle and travel through different scenes from the movie using animatronics and holographic images in full scale matrix sets. If done right, it would rock.

Either that or make a Star Wars ride using animatronics like POC. Could you imagine a full scale lightsaber duel between luke and vader? Or Bobba Fett coming around the corner of a cantina wall and trying to capture you for his bounty? Or storm troopers stopping your vehicle and asking for ID and the spirit of obi-won using mind tricks to make the troopers let you pass....hmmmm...I can dream can't I?

Rick
05-11-2001, 01:26 PM
There's already a Star Wars ride (Star Tours has Death Star scenes and those two dumb droids) but your idea is pretty cool!

Ralph Wiggum
05-11-2001, 02:00 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers this...in fact i barely remeber this cause i was sooo young when i saw it... but Universal Studios use to have a part of the tram ride that would go through a building and suddenly there would be a futuristic war played out by about 20 or 30 REAL people. It was pretty cool. They should do something like that with Star wars and a lightsaber fight. I know its expensive but it would be a hit for sure.

rob
05-11-2001, 02:02 PM
The Mummy would be good for a ride. Lots of actions different rooms for the different scenes. The enclosed feeling of having the pyramid close on you.

dgthx
05-11-2001, 04:04 PM
Ralph, you are referring to the Battlestar Galactica portion of the Tram Tour. You were first stopped outside of the spaceship by those robots with the red light that went back and forth across their visors. They fired a shot towards the tram through a cannon and made the tram go inside the ship. Yes it was very cool, but there weren't 20 or 30 real people in the ship, there was only one, the good guy. The rest were "animatronics".

lisap
05-11-2001, 04:09 PM
Ralph--was that Battlestar Galactica? I kind of remember that ride many many moons ago.

I think Bridget Jones' Diary would make a good ride--you get in a buggy and ride into a room with a few dozen gorgeous CMs and you get to pick one and have them ride in your buggy with you.
I don't know how the Diary part would work in--let someone else work out the details..........
:D ;) :D

Haldwitten
05-11-2001, 05:04 PM
Bridget Jones' Diary... That made me laugh. Good one. Made me wonder why we've never seen a "Sophie's Choice" ride or a "Beaches Adventure." Tee hee hee.

But for the original post... I'd have to say:

1. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
2. Witch Mountain (A danglefeet coaster where Tony and Tia are "levitating" you through caverns to their secret city and back."

Those would be my dream rides. But with the way things are going, I expect the next park to be called "Disney's Financial Adventure" and guests get to complete mock tax forms... take a high speed rollercoaster tour through a bank... and my favorite, "The Cut-Back" (A darkened auditorium with folding chairs and CM's shining flashlights in guests' eyes... while a single recorded kazoo plays all your favorite Disney hits.) :eek:

Ralph Wiggum
05-11-2001, 06:02 PM
Shows how much a young child remembers or how much they are fooled.

SimpTwister
05-11-2001, 06:40 PM
Universal should bring back the Battle of Galactica! It was TIGHT!

Cylons n' Laser Beams... woo hoo!

Originally posted by dgthx
Ralph, you are referring to the Battlestar Galactica portion of the Tram Tour. You were first stopped outside of the spaceship by those robots with the red light that went back and forth across their visors. They fired a shot towards the tram through a cannon and made the tram go inside the ship. Yes it was very cool, but there weren't 20 or 30 real people in the ship, there was only one, the good guy. The rest were "animatronics".

mrlop
05-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Fight club could be a bitchen ride.

but the other good ideas would be Back to the future, but not the gay type like at Universal and a better Star Wars one, if possible.

and of course the Nightmare Before Christmas

Matterhorn Fan
05-12-2001, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by mrlop
Fight club could be a bitchen ride.
mrlop! Shhh! You've forgotten: The first rule of Fight Club, is you do not talk about Fight Club! The second rule of Fight Club, is you do not talk about Fight Club!

Rick
05-12-2001, 06:57 PM
Don't make me laugh uncontrollably.

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 01:36 AM
TRON!!!!!! C'mon, you know you want to ride in a lightcycle. Wouldn't it be the perfect Rocket Rod replacement? And the cycles could glow and stuff at night. If only they'd spend the money to do it right.... Maybe with the release of TRON 2.0 Disney will figure out some kind of tie-in.

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dgthx
My vote goes to the Matrix.

Hey - I just posted something about the matrix being a ride on the tomorland ride thread. How 'bout that!

I also think the matrix would make a cool ride...plus I have a "thing" for Keanu Reeves so there.;)

Gemini Cricket
02-07-2002, 10:38 AM
I've got it! "The Highly Esteemed Jane Austen's Subtle Adventures Dark Ride".
You get into a buggy with a companion, and stop at a British dwelling of some sort, with vines hanging on trelisses and such, and you go in and have a conversation with an AA duke or duchess. You need to say at least three witty things and keep your conversation subjects confined to the weather or you'll have to extend your stay a while longer. Next, you must go to an amusing tea party and set someone up with someone else. A confusing situation ensues, a wedding occurs and everything ends with a straight down, 9 story drop during which someone brilliant snaps your picture. You can buy it in the lobby if you so desire.
:)

mousey_girl
02-07-2002, 11:10 AM
I would love to see a suspended coaster along the lines of the door warehouse in Monster's Inc. With either dangling feet, or along the lines of the Ninja ride at MM. It would be a blast, flying along like Sully & Mike, swinging in and out of different doors... It would make a terrific dark ride/coaster.

Iceman
02-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Well, people beat me to my good ideas. A Monsters, Inc. susupended coaster seems too obvious NOT to do.

Also, since TRON is one of my favorite movies, I would love to see a thrill ride based on it. They could do something where each time you ride you don't know if you're going to get a lightcycle, recognizer, solar sailer, or tank. If they put something like this in DisneyQuest, it could be truly interactive, but a thrill ride would also be nice.

Gemini Cricket
02-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
I would love to see a suspended coaster along the lines of the door warehouse in Monster's Inc. With either dangling feet, or along the lines of the Ninja ride at MM. It would be a blast, flying along like Sully & Mike, swinging in and out of different doors... It would make a terrific dark ride/coaster.

I, too, was thinking of this for a ride. However, I was also trying to figure out how, physically, it could be designed. Guests can't hang onto doors like Mike and Sulley did. They'd have to sit... Not only that, but (I was trying to think like an Imagineer) would you want to ride a "Monsters Inc" Ride 10 years from now? Would people remember "Monsters Inc." ten/twenty years from now? There probably won't be a sequel (contract garbage between Pixar & Disney) so the longevity of the movie in guests' minds might not be too long.
But, hey, I could be wrong...:)

innerSpaceman
02-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Does it matter if anyone remembers Monsters, Inc. twenty years from now in order for the ride to still be popular? Does anyone remember 'The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad' or do they just like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?

But since Disney has not yet gotten around to obvious attractions based on their "modern" animation hits of a decade ago, we should see the obvious Monsters rollercoaster in about 2027.

oregonzooron
02-07-2002, 10:48 PM
I always thought it was a pity that "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" wasn't a Disney product - what a great ride you could make out of a tour of the factory!

On my ex-wife's first visit to the park I sang "World of Pure Imagination" as I led her, eyes closed, to town square. I still sing it to my daughter when we go.

Nigel2
02-08-2002, 12:24 AM
How about hudson hawk?:D

It could go through the theft scenes, they already could use the songs that they sang in the movie as they robbed the auction house, hey they could even do the idea that was left out.:D

Gemini Cricket
02-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
How about hudson hawk?:D

A former acting professor of mine, Michael Nehring, was in "Hudson Hawk". I've never seen the movie, but he'd talk about it a lot.
:)

Gemini Cricket
02-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mrlop
but the other good ideas would be Back to the future, but not the gay type like at Universal...

I know this is an old quote... but offensive as it is, it made me laugh. You know all those theme parks all their gay flight simulator rides... Ladies and gentlemen, announcing "Birdcage" - the ride! The "Will & Grace" Experience. "Ellen" of the Caribbean!
:D

MouseWife
02-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by lisap
Ralph--was that Battlestar Galactica? I kind of remember that ride many many moons ago.

I think Bridget Jones' Diary would make a good ride--you get in a buggy and ride into a room with a few dozen gorgeous CMs and you get to pick one and have them ride in your buggy with you.
I don't know how the Diary part would work in--let someone else work out the details..........
:D ;) :D

Okay. Now, this has potential. As long as we don't have to show our chonies. {underwear}.

Disneylad~

I think that the term 'gay' now seems to have lost it's significance,
I have heard the kids using it in place of 'sucky' 'stupid' or 'lame'. I tell my son and his friends to shut up since they don't know what they are talking about and it offends me and other members of our family.

LOL It would seem everything offends me. I DO NOT like the terms 'old man' or 'old lady'. How offensive is that??????

Nigel2
02-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

I know this is an old quote... but offensive as it is, it made me laugh. You know all those theme parks all their gay flight simulator rides... Ladies and gentlemen, announcing "Birdcage" - the ride! The "Will & Grace" Experience. "Ellen" of the Caribbean!
:D

Ladies and gentlemen... Starina.

Ok people get your ductape and dresses, auditions are in a week.:D

Oh do you remember what part he played, I could probably elaborate on it? (or I could watch it again...:D ) Oh and if he has a twin I know ecactly who he played.

Oh I got another one, Labyrinth, just imagine the Escher scene.:D