PDA

View Full Version : guests in stores: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Ulysses
06-29-2005, 03:05 AM
Another late night ended with lots of CMs shifts extended! Life in DL stores is very hectic right now and that's a good thing, in general. If only the guests who check their brains -- and manners -- at the gate could see themselves as CMs and other guests see them.

And even the nice guests -- by which I mean 99% of the guests -- could benefit themselves and others by keeping a few things in mind.

1. "Let's save all our shopping until the end of the day" is not really that good an idea. Here's why: EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING THE SAME. Not to mention that at the end of the day your kids will be cranky and tired and you will just want to lie down. Take a hint and use the free package check service at various park locations. Just ask a stores CM where. You can get your shopping out of the way early and you won't have to carry your stuff around.

2. Appropos of #1 above, Disneyland does run out of stuff. Just because an item was available in a store you were browsing in at 10 a.m., does not guarantee it will be there at midnight.

3. And another thing: There are some items that are only available in specific locations. PLEASE DON'T promise your child that "we will buy that item on Main Street on the way out. " Maybe that item is not available on Main Street. Maybe your child will then cry and you will be mad. Maybe the CM can't do anything about it. If you see an item you are sure you want to buy, particularly if not being able to get it will ruin your life or at least your day, buy it THEN.

4. If you enter a store and see long lines at all the registers, why on earth would you think "Do I have to wait in this line?" would be an intelligent question?

5. Appropos of #4 above, why on earth would you think walking up to the register and ignoring the line will get you waited on more quickly? Or do you really WANT to be torn to pieces and eaten by other guests who have been waiting? Nobody cares that you only have one item. Do you seen a express lane anywhere? I didn't think so.

6. Once you have patiently waited your turn and finally arrived at the front of the line, and presented your items to the cashier for ringing up, if you think of something else you wanted to get, PLEASE ask the cashier to get it for you. He/she knows where it is and will get it much faster than you. PLEASE DON'T say "just a minute" and walk away from the register in mid-transaction. When a guest does that to me I immediately end their transaction and move on to the next guest. I am more than happy to re-ring all their purchases when they return -- provided, of course, that they have waited their turn in line again. No fast passes to my cash register for people who lack basic consideration for the 20 guests in line behind them.

7. There are a gazillion brand-new CMs in stores right now. If someone seems inept or uninformed and thus unable to help you in the way you need, there is nothing wrong with asking -- politely -- if someone else could possibly help you. Better yet, now that everyone has their hire year on their name tage, if you want a correct answer go up to a CM with a hire year earlier than 2005.

8. If you are given bad service or rude attitude, it is perfectly OK for you to complain to a manager. Actually, competent and caring CMs wish you would, because managers listen to guests, not to us. However, don't be [moderator's note: word on censored list deleted] about it. Don't say "you've ruined my child's vacation" when all that happened was Junior couldn't get his giant lollipop.

9. If someone gives you good, caring service against the overwhelming odds of enormous crowds, stop at City Hall and write them a compliment. Your compliment might be the one thing they need to keep going.

Animalia
06-29-2005, 05:37 AM
I caught myself chuckling a couple of times while reading your post Ulysses, but I understand that it's all true and can be frustrating. I spent a few years working the front desk of a hotel and while it wasn't quite the same I can sympethize with what you're going through. For some reason there are always guests who seem to have the attitude "I payed a few bucks to be here so now you owe me the world." If it gets to be too much for you then do what I used to do. Go to a back room, grab a hand full of scrap paper and shred it to itty bitty pieces. That helps a little. :)

rentayenta
06-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Another late night ended with lots of CMs shifts extended! Life in DL stores is very hectic right now and that's a good thing, in general. If only the guests who check their brains -- and manners -- at the gate could see themselves as CMs and other guests see them.

And even the nice guests -- by which I mean 99% of the guests -- could benefit themselves and others by keeping a few things in mind.

6. Once you have patiently waited your turn and finally arrived at the front of the line, and presented your items to the cashier for ringing up, if you think of something else you wanted to get, PLEASE ask the cashier to get it for you. He/she knows where it is and will get it much faster than you. PLEASE DON'T say "just a minute" and walk away from the register in mid-transaction. When a guest does that to me I immediately end their transaction and move on to the next guest. I am more than happy to re-ring all their purchases when they return -- provided, of course, that they have waited their turn in line again. No fast passes to my cash register for people who lack basic consideration for the 20 guests in line behind them.

Bolded by me. Hysterically funny!

I worked retail for many years and all of the above apply but I especially like #6 because I am always behind the person who does this. LOL. :D Here's a good idea for folks who still want to shop and wait in line. Have one adult in your party wait while you go find your goodies. Just remember that whoever is standing in the line needs to have the desired form of payment with them, not the person who is still shopping. This seems to happen a lot too. ;)

Shortiemetoo
06-29-2005, 06:45 AM

That is so irritating...I hate it when people wait through a 20 or 30 min line and then have to "get one more thing" as the rest of the people in line wait even longer!! That is great advice!!

06-29-2005, 06:50 AM
My family hardly ever gets to Disneyland. "Hardly ever" means maybe once every 7 years.

Disneyland is a huge treat. The merchandise is overwhelmingly fabulous. We windowshop. We discuss. Choosing just what to buy is a pleasure and yes ... a big deal to us.

If we don't do it in the order and manner a Disneyland Shops pro would, will you forgive us?

And we thank you for providing a lot of pleasure during our trip. Thanks stores CMs!

olegc
06-29-2005, 06:53 AM
I think this is great advice - except for one thing...

If Disneyland is all about the guest (and let's just say that guest has been nice and friendly, even at 12 am), then they should not have to wait in the entire line again if they forgot something. Yes, they should have asked you (do they know? do most tourists read this board?) to get it and yes it's somewhat inconvenient - but to make their stay a memorable one all the way to the end I would think that this small courtesy would be extended...

Just my thoughts.

TikiGeek
06-29-2005, 07:42 AM
I have so much respect for the good CMs at DL/DCA. I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with the rude people day after day. I could never do that job - bodies would be constantly washing up on the banks of the Rivers of America. :~D Thanks for the good advice, thanks for dealing with the masses. :)

crazi4dlr
06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Please be patient with us as we are on a learning curve. The reason most people wait until the end of the day to shop is two fold:

1) Until our trip last week I did not even know that there was a place you could keep your purchases until you left for the day. I have been going to DL since 1961 and this was news to me! Perhaps the majority of guests do not know this either? Some of us don't want to rent a locker for that little keychain, etc. I don't bring a bag of any sort into the resort with me, I carry all of my id, tickets, credit/debit cards in a lanyard so I don't have a purse or giant backpack to throw my purchases into.

2) For most people shopping at theme parks is impulse buying and as a "pro" shopper I know that just because I see it doesn't mean I really want it and I know that if I really "have to have it" I can go back later and get it. There is very little that runs out at DL that can't be substituted for something else. Most of us realize this and deal with the disappointment of missing out.

I enjoy the CM's. I love talking to them and I even envy their jobs because I would love to work at DLR if only they would move it out of crowded So Cal :) So bless your heart, you are greatly appreciated by the majority of us. Please understand that God isn't finished with us yet...

danyoung
06-29-2005, 10:11 AM
It's funny how many of these tips are just common sense anywhere else in the world. But for some reason people have to be reminded how to behave in a Disney park. Nice post, Ulysses!

Klutch
06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
...For some reason there are always guests who seem to have the attitude "I payed a few bucks to be here so now you owe me the world." :)

I saw a perfect example of this while glancing at "Caesar's 24/7" a few months ago. Some twenty-something guy was miffed because it was taking too long to get a specially requested bed into his room. When he suggested some form of compensation, the desk clerk seemed open to the idea and asked, "What do you have in mind?".

"I'm thinking Celine Dion tickets," said the guest. That's a $200+ per ticket retail value! Celine Dion tickets because your special bed isn't ready? Now, let's be real here. The guy ended up getting a meal voucher. I'd say the desk clerk did him a favor.

disneychelle
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I love that!!! I work for a very large CU and I've had members ask to be taken to the front of a line of 50+ people if only I could use this line!!! It's such a true statement and blood is such a nasty thing to clean up to! :~D

CinemaGal15
07-08-2005, 01:58 AM
I think this is great advice - except for one thing...

If Disneyland is all about the guest (and let's just say that guest has been nice and friendly, even at 12 am), then they should not have to wait in the entire line again if they forgot something. Yes, they should have asked you (do they know? do most tourists read this board?) to get it and yes it's somewhat inconvenient - but to make their stay a memorable one all the way to the end I would think that this small courtesy would be extended...

Just my thoughts.

No its not just a small courtesy. Its just like in foods....there is a huge line behind the first person in line and it is impolite to waste everyones time especially if you think about that main street is only open 1 hr after the park....and sometimes only 30 minutes.

CinemaGal15
07-08-2005, 02:00 AM
1) Until our trip last week I did not even know that there was a place you could keep your purchases until you left for the day.

Yes, and there always was....its called a locker.

GrumpyUTboi
07-08-2005, 05:27 AM
So many people in this lovely world have blinders on or something of that nature because they believe that they are the only one in the world that matters.

Olegc I stongly and respectfully disagree with you. Like yourself if we have been waiting in line for 30+ minutes and you decide that there is one more item and you go off and get it and come back thinking that you are going to to just jump in line ahead of us, then I as a patient person would say something to you and to the CM. IMHO it may be a courtesy to you but for the rest of the guests in line that have all their items it is not a courtesy for them.

Also having worked the retail world for many years if I see a guest be beligerant to the cashier, I make it a point to say something and belittle the guest. There are very few things in this world that I can not stand and that is people being disrespectful of others especially when it is brought upon themselves.

wendyxo
07-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Also having worked the retail world for many years if I see a guest be beligerant to the cashier, I make it a point to say something and belittle the guest. There are very few things in this world that I can not stand and that is people being disrespectful of others especially when it is brought upon themselves.

Well, I hardly think you need to belittle the guests! This just adds more tension to the mix for the cashier (I have been in retail for many years- My goal for beligerant customers is to get them out as quickly as possible!).

crazi4dlr
07-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Yes, and there always was....its called a locker.

Thank you so much for pointing out the obvious in such a polite manner. If you took the time to read my reply further you would have seen that I mentioned lockers. If you are a CM, you are certainly the type to ruin "the magic" for those of us that enjoy DL and just want to have a good time and I respectfully suggest that you find a line of work that does not include the public, especially in crowds such as theme parks have.

Have a magical day

rfaljean
07-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I've noticed though that the CM's try very hard to keep the magic among the very rude and selfish guests. I was taught to respect other people and the hard work they put in and that goes for Disneyland as well. I think people are forgetting that Walt dreamed of this place and created it so families, from infants to great-grandparents can play together. I've noticed lately that a lot of guests feel that this is their park and they have a right to be there and be rude; shake wet umbrellas on small children, blow smoke in people's faces, leave tons of trash lying around after parades and shows and taking their exhaustion and frustration out on CM's and other guests. I always make sure I have everything I want and I make sure to strike up some brief friendly converstion w/the CM's-not to mention to remember to say Thank You. The CM's work very hard for very little and I, for one, appreiciate all that they do to try to keep the magic alive. I am also teaching my kids to respect other people in what ever work they do and to respect where they are, like Disneyland.
I hope they can teach the same to their kids.

For all of the CMs who work very hard to keep us enchanted... Thank you very much.
Uncle Walt would be proud of you. I am very proud to have ever spoken to you and look forward to seeing you again in November.