PDA

View Full Version : 50th CD collection: Full or partial audio for rides?

Kat in WA
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking about ordering the 50th anniversary CD collection from Disney Direct. Husband doesn't want to spend the money on it unless he knows that the ride tracks are complete audios or are they only the "themes/soundtracks" of the rides. If you've got the CD's, would you be willing to share this information? Thanks.

06-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Super complete!

Shortiemetoo
06-28-2005, 02:01 PM
And awesome!!!! So fun!! :D

Earkid
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I just got mine last week and haven't had time to listen to the entire set but it sure was fun listening to the entire 16+ minutes of POTC, including "splash" sounds!! :) Well worth the $$$$.

Alex S.
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Boringly complete, but if it is your thing then fantasically complete.

kisroo
06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I just got mine last week and haven't had time to listen to the entire set but it sure was fun listening to the entire 16+ minutes of POTC, including "splash" sounds!! :) Well worth the $$$$.

What she said.

Hey Earkid~I got mine last week, too! It was a bday gift from Mr kisroo. It came when he was at work. I begged him to come home so I could open it!!!

Yes. It's worth it.

~kisroo:)

Mickey
06-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp Complete And Very Cool!!!! Buy It Now! :d

flyingsaucerpilot
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
It depends, POTC sounds complete (it's awesome actually being able to hear everything thats said), Mark Twain is missing some stuff (I think). Indy is just music, although thats pretty much what the ride is anyway. I never realized how great the indy and splash sound tracks were until I listened to this CD. This is a GREAT set, although I could do without country bear and small world. Oh yeah, flight to the moon is Hilarious! I remember the bird UFO! I wish they would come out with something like this for EPCOT.

dizneeboy
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Just got mine last week to and LOVE IT!. So complete that you get to hear portions of ride audio you wouldn't normally hear going through (ie splach mountain) since the audio is longer than that portion of your ride for each section.

Love the new space mountain track too. Can't wait for a trip out to ride it later this year.

olegc
06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
It depends, POTC sounds complete (it's awesome actually being able to hear everything thats said), Mark Twain is missing some stuff (I think). Indy is just music, although thats pretty much what the ride is anyway. I never realized how great the indy and splash sound tracks were until I listened to this CD. This is a GREAT set, although I could do without country bear and small world. Oh yeah, flight to the moon is Hilarious! I remember the bird UFO! I wish they would come out with something like this for EPCOT.

I have not listened to mine yet- but I was wondering about Mark Twain. Many sites that play DIsney music/sounds are playing this now and it seems to be the ORIGINAL twain - pre-Haunted Mansion. And no man singing "Mark Twaiiiinn! Maaarrk Twaaiiiin!" I liked the more modern one....

Mark Mywords
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I read an interview with Randy Thornton (the guy responsible for putting together the collection). He basically said that it made sense to have complete audio only for some of the attractions. He felt that on some attractions (Star Tours was the example he used), without context, the dialog didn't make any sense. Randy's done a great job on the collection, but I have to disagree with him there...

Overall it's pretty darn complete and is, in the balance of quantity and quality, easily the best thing commercially available.

stan4d_steph
07-12-2005, 05:15 AM
I have not listened to mine yet- but I was wondering about Mark Twain. Many sites that play DIsney music/sounds are playing this now and it seems to be the ORIGINAL twain - pre-Haunted Mansion. And no man singing "Mark Twaiiiinn! Maaarrk Twaaiiiin!" I liked the more modern one....The Mark Twain track is an older version, not the one currently in use at DL.

Gone2Disneyland
07-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm thinking about ordering the 50th anniversary CD collection from Disney Direct. Husband doesn't want to spend the money on it unless he knows that the ride tracks are complete audios or are they only the "themes/soundtracks" of the rides. If you've got the CD's, would you be willing to share this information? Thanks.

Have you gotten it yet? :)

I totally love it (we're talking the 6-CD set I presume), being a CD geek and a Disney music geek. Besides extended-length versions of many attractions, there's soundtracks from long-gone shows like most of the Tomorrowland attractions. I wasn't a fan of the Country Bear material, but have grown to appreciate it since it's all there to listen to.

And please don't discount the book and packaging. The book is a great coffee-table type book with info that suppliments the songs if you're interested, and it, the CD-holder and the box are all cloth-bound with metal title plates, very elegant and thoughtfully designed.

And finally, for what you'd play retail for six full-length (65+ minutes each) CDs (no discounts, of course), you get the book and stylish packaging on top of that. Not all the songs may be your cup of tea, but for that alone, it's a fine deal. I honestly think you won't be disappointed.

BTW, the full list of songs on all six CDs are posted here:

http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2026

And no, I don't get a commission for this. :p

fjhuerta
07-12-2005, 07:35 AM
As an aside... I noticed that in the 2 CD 50th Anniversary Collection, the *new* Space Mountain track was included!!! I had never heard it (obviously). I still think the old music was better, but I can't complain.

Sadly, the Rock-it Mountain soundtrack isn't included :(

jon80flt
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
...He felt that on some attractions (Star Tours was the example he used), without context, the dialog didn't make any sense. Randy's done a great job on the collection, but I have to disagree with him there...

I have to agree with BigUgly on this... I was looking forward to hearing ALL the dialog on all the rides.... StarWars theme music I already have... it's the rides I wanted to hear... especially the queue spiels in StarTours!!

Other than that small issue, it is a fantastic set! I was too young to remember more than just the absolute minimum about The Carousel of Progress... but the memories flooded back when I heard "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"!!!!

BTW, I found the entire StarTours spiel here: http://www.1313southharborblvd.com/
goto "Disneyland Attraction Audio", then disk #10

Enjoy! :D
Jon

Mark Mywords
07-12-2005, 11:48 AM
I have to agree with BigUgly on this... I was looking forward to hearing ALL the dialog on all the rides.... StarWars theme music I already have... it's the rides I wanted to hear... especially the queue spiels in StarTours!!

I'm finding that the 6 cd set combined with Rick Conant's "50 Years of ImaginEARing" pretty much covers everything. The similarity between the two is striking, but "50 years" goes a little more into detail...

srfantasmic
07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
WHAT?? No Captain EO?!?!?

EeyoreAdorer
07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
We're going to DL in 2 weeks and my DD really wants to buy the set. She's saving up her money. How much is the set, anyway? I heard it was pretty expensive.

Mark Mywords
07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I think I paid $125 plus shipping. It's worth it, though.

Sandiegoboy
07-21-2005, 12:41 PM
I paid 160 off ebay, I am happy I did, just so I could have a gold record =P

cosmicjive
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
It's worth pointing out that there are two collections currently sold at Disneyland.

Disneyland: A Musical History
This is the $150 set. 6 CDs.

Happiest Homecoming on Earth
This is a 2 CD collection that is just sort of "favorite selections," and includes some California Adventure music as well.

The Musical History set is fantastic for its completeness, which makes it less suitable for casual listening. Most of the rides on it are the entire music and dialog from the entire ride. This is really great for rides that don't exist anymore, such as Carousel of Progress and America Sings. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are both really great tracks as well. Tiki Room is great, because for the first time I can listen to all of the lyrics during the "Hi Ho Hi Ho" portion at the end of the ride, and they are really funny.

Most of the tracks represent the attraction as it was when it opened, which is why things like the Mark Twain don't match the current version that people are used to hearing. I would also say that the collection isn't 100% complete, because it doesn't include many of the fireworks shows, and so forth (only the current fireworks show is included). And yes, dialog is missing from many rides that I would have liked to see included. But I'm very happy for what is there.

If you are a big Disneyland fan, and especially if you are interested in park history, than the big set is really a must have. For casual listening I recommend the Happiest Homecoming set, which has the advantage of having things like Soarin' Over California on it.

-Jeff "etumor"

fjhuerta
07-21-2005, 04:52 PM
WHAT?? No Captain EO?!?!?

:confused: :geek: :|

No Captain EO!!!! De-nied!

I guess Wacko asked for too much money for his songs. He really needs it right now, with all his past and future legal troubles...