PDA

View Full Version : I'm never gonna get a Dole Whip / Hotel California Band

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Damn Damn Damn - I'd read about them and thought - mmmmm sounds good. So, the next time we went I decided to get one. Not open. :(

Then, I find out they aren't open during the evening during the week - so I tried again on a Sunday - not too early - but it was before noon. Not open. :(

This last Sunday, on Travel Cafe, Chuck Henry visited Hawaii. They went to the Dole "ranch" and he was eating - you guessed it - a Dole whip. He tried to talk them out of the recipe and they wouldn't budge. But after him going on and on about how darn wonderful it was - I HAD to have one.

So, I dragged the kids with me for the 3 minute drive to the park. Parked in DTD and took the monorail in. Then hopped on the train and took it around to New Orleans and hopped off. We then quickly made our way over to the tiki room - all set to finally experience "The Dole Whip" fantasy.

And you guessed it- They were CLOSED!

ARGH!

It was 5:12pm on a busy Sunday. Damn Dland for closing this place and not allowing me to partake.

Somehow, someday, I'll get my whip.

As a side note, we left Dland when I couldn't get my whip, and went over to DCA. They had an Eagles cover band playing - I think they are called Hotel California - and I really enjoyed them. I'd like to see them again sometime - even my kids didn't mind "just sitting there" and soaking up the music. Anyone know if they are there regularly?

socabch
02-05-2002, 08:43 AM
We had a Dole Whip on Sunday. But it was about 2:00. You may want to e-mail Guest Relations on DLR website and ask them for hours of the stand.

Never heard the band yet. If you find out anything about the schedule please post it. I would like to hear them.

driftwood714
02-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Call Guest Relations (The Information Line) and ask them the locations hours. 714-781-7290. The line is open till 7 everyday.

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Okay - the Dole Whip booth is open from 12 to 5 only.

And they couldn't tell me if Hotel California will be playing anytime again soon. They have some new computer system the lady was "fighting" with...

Davideo
02-05-2002, 09:27 AM
I've always enjoyed the Dole Whip, but hadn't had one for quite a while. So this weekend, the booth was open (but the Tiki Room wasn't...there was a weird electrical outage that messed up the computer on Tiki and Indiana Jones)...and guess what...
I'm sorry to say that the Dole Whip is just a mere shadow of it's former self. It used to have a bite, a bit of the acidic sting that you get from eating a pineapple, and now it tasted flat...kind of mellow and tasteless. And it wasn't just me. The bf was eating it and couldn't even finish the thing. He said, 'Uggh, what happened to these, they used to be so good'. Maybe it was an off day for the machine, and maybe we'll try it again in a few months...maybe.

bluepearl
02-05-2002, 02:14 PM
I personally don't like to have a Dole Whip alone, mostly because of Davideo's post. It's slightly sweet and I want something tangy when it comes to pineapples. So I have to have the Float. Homemade floats are pretty good too!

Nigel2
02-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Oh I need to find my dole whip recipee, it was from Daid Rosengarden, but basically its juice, sugar, water, and egg whites (since its a non dairy confection at disneyland). Its not going to be the same as disneyland (it can't be unless you want to go industrial) since you need a batch freezer.

bluepearl
02-06-2002, 10:25 PM
My friend and I asked about the ingredients in the whip, and the CM pulled out this white plastic bag full of stuff that looked like powder. She said they put that in the machine with some water or something. Thought that was pretty interesting! :lol:

Anyhoo, for a cheaper homemade version, just buy some Dole Pineapple juice (or any other brand), and pineapple sherbet. It tastes almost as good to me; plus it's got the bits of pineapple in it, which is really good.

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Just thought I'd ease everyone's mind - as I know you were all so very concerned about me and my dole whip problem :rolleyes:

I finally got my Dole Whip. It was very tasty and I enjoyed it. It will definately have to happen again. As a plus - my children and dh do NOT like pineapple stuff so I actually get to enjoy my treat - and not have everyone drooling all over it after they finish theirs. (as my kids tend to do.)

socabch
02-07-2002, 05:13 PM
justagrrl

Congrats on finally getting your fix.:D My kids & I love them. I like the float also. But when i get a float they beg me for the cherries.

Ace
02-07-2002, 07:44 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm dole whip.... second only to frozen bananas.

alex mouse
02-08-2002, 09:03 PM
hotel california.....there always there, lol,they always got these 3 female groupies there....(if your one of them, "rock on") they will probably be there this weekend,they are good but just get tired of the same old eagles songs, there probably on the pacific wharf stage more then anybody else.

bluepearl
02-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by alex mouse
hotel california.....there always there, lol,they always got these 3 female groupies there....(if your one of them, "rock on") they will probably be there this weekend,they are good but just get tired of the same old eagles songs, there probably on the pacific wharf stage more then anybody else.

Hahaha! Well, I'm always there when Party Central is doing Road Trip and I get teased a lot about being a groupie. I am not a groupie, dagnabit! I just like to listen to the live performance of some songs that I like!

But anyway, on the Hotel California thing, according to the guidemap, they were there last week but won't be here this week. But I know the sort of track record Entertainment has at DCA, so I'm not going to trust that too much. I haven't seen this group yet. I always seem to catch the other cover band that's at Pacific Wharf; don't enjoy them as much as Party Central, but they're cool.

socabch
03-30-2002, 08:19 AM
justagrrl

Hotel California was at DCA during Spring Break. My daughters and I caught them on Tuesday. We enjoyed them quite alot. My 14 yr old was the one that told me about it and we stayed thru 2 sets. It was nice to sit there and drink my Marguerita, soak up the sun and listen to the music. Just found another way to relax at the parks when I need a break. Hope they stay for a while.

Rallymonkey23
03-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Speaking of band in DCA, does anyone know if "Group 66" is still there? If they are, and you plan on going anytime soon.........COVER YOUR EARS!!!!!!!!!. That has to be the WORST group I have ever heard!!

Uncle Dick
03-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by socabch
justagrrl

Hotel California was at DCA during Spring Break. My daughters and I caught them on Tuesday. We enjoyed them quite alot. My 14 yr old was the one that told me about it and we stayed thru 2 sets. It was nice to sit there and drink my Marguerita, soak up the sun and listen to the music. Just found another way to relax at the parks when I need a break. Hope they stay for a while.
They are a rather enjoyable group. I heard them for the first time about a month ago. The Pacific Wharf stage isn't a very good venue for them, unfortunately, because of all the umbrellas and light poles that block the stage, but at least you can hear them from the Timon lot (great for when I'm on duty).

Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Speaking of band in DCA, does anyone know if "Group 66" is still there? If they are, and you plan on going anytime soon.........COVER YOUR EARS!!!!!!!!!. That has to be the WORST group I have ever heard!!
Yep, Groove 66 is still hanging around, and while I don't think I'd call them the worst group ever, I will admit that they are an aquired taste. :) The only thing that bugs me about their act (besides the beat box guy who won't shut up) is that they sing the same old songs that play over and over elsewhere in the park (Age of Aquarius, Dancing in the Streets, etc.). DCA needs a bit more variety in its musical makeup.

Dawnie
03-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
As a plus - my children and dh do NOT like pineapple stuff so I actually get to enjoy my treat - and not have everyone drooling all over it after they finish theirs. (as my kids tend to do.) [/B]

Too funny! I can totally relate. It's such a Mom thing. Just like when I get anywhere near the kitchen, people in the house start to bug about a snack, or lunch, dinner, food, food, food!. I never understood why my mom always felt like she was in the kitchen. Now I can relate!! what goes around...

BTW - Congrats on the DW, haven't had one myself....;)

BELLEH5
03-31-2002, 07:51 PM
After reading about the Dole whips here on this site, I just had to have one!!! It was sooooooooo Good. I had 2!!! and pineapple is my favorite fruit****