PDA

View Full Version : Dissadvantage to being an anual pass holder?!?!

Frappalotie
02-05-2002, 12:43 AM
http://home1.gte.net/gasgano/frankheaddance.gif

Ok, so I know its ultimately very VERY cool to own an Anual Pass, I have always wanted to own one, but I am not sure there is an advantage to this because I live kind of far away 4+ hours one way!

so, my question is

DOES having an anual pass... LESSEN, the disneyland experience, I mean when u haven't been in a year, and know you won't be back for naother year it makes the visit super memorable!

but if you can go EVERYDAY!, or just about, (and I know some of you do) doesn't that TAKE AWAY from the magic and illusion of disneyland, I mean DON'T YOU GET BORED?

not that it compares but I have an anual pass to universal and I went almost evry weekend, THERE IS NO WAY, I will ever be AS excited now that I have gone to universal a BILLION times, as I was the FIRST TIME I went there.

its gotta be the same with disney right? c'mon AP holders be honest....:)

danyoung
02-05-2002, 04:11 AM
My situation is kind of unusual. I live in Dallas, but hold annual passes to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. This works well, as my job involves extensive travel, and I'm able to visit both Anaheim & Orlando 3 or 4 times a year. But I understand what you're saying. I've contemplated moving either to California or Florida for the specific reason of being closer to the parks (I know, kind of nutty, ain't I? ;) ). And I've thought a lot about what it would be like to just be able to drop in after work, or spend a weekend day in the parks. I'm not sure I'd really enjoy it, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Even with multiple trips in a year, a visit to a Disney park is still special. I don't think it would be that special if going to a park was like going to a mall - something you do if you have a couple spare hours. Oh well, maybe someday I'll be in a position to find out!

DisneylandKid
02-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Bottom Line:
NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH DISNEYLAND.

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 06:27 AM
Having never had an annual pass before 1/2/02, I can speak up.

Yes, it's true. It's not such a unique experience - comparing going once a year or every other year to having a pass and going quite often. We go at least twice a week to Dland and DCA...usually on Friday nights, Sunday mornings and Monday mornings.

What's great about it, is that I don't have to go on specific attractions each time. Before the annual pass, I would *have* to go on HM, Pirates, Space Mountain - etc... ya know - the "big ones" (to me).

Now, I'm able to experience EVERYTHING in Dland/DCA. I can go and know that today we are doing Fantasyland - and just focus on that. And get to go on all the neat stuff there - that I would normally pass up because I'd miss out on the "thrill" rides or my fav's.

As for the kids, my dd has gotten completely over any fear of rides (except maybe for the dark rides Toad and Pan - as she's never been on them.) But before, she was afraid of Storybook boats because of the whale. Now, she's riding Screamin with her hands up the entire time - riding the Barf Shields, I mean the Maliboomer with her hands up (crazy gal - she's 7 by the way)

So, yes, to some extent, it loses a certain magical quality that you only get by going once a year. However, a different sort of magic appeared for us - and that's getting to experience EVERYTHING over time...and learn about all the nooks and cranny's that we'd never notice rushing through.

Ghoulish Delight
02-05-2002, 07:08 AM
The magic changes, it doesn't go away. Instead of being a magical foreign land that you get to visit only once in a great while, it become a magic familiar land with the opportunity to explore it to its fullest and learn all you want. It affords you the ability to relax and take your time. No need to rush, or be disappointed because your favorite ride's line is too long, because you can always just come back.

I'll tell you one thing that doesn't change. The moment you walk through the tunnel under the railroad, you are no longer in Anaheim. Even when I had moved 10 minutes away, so close that I wasn't even taking the freeway to get there, when I was in that park, I was a thousand miles away from anywhere.

FEJ
02-05-2002, 07:38 AM
I agree with justagrrl, you actually get to experience more.
I have gone where we didnt actually go on any rides, but we did get to take in more of the Magic due to the fact that we knew we would be back again soon.

MonorailMan
02-05-2002, 07:58 AM
In fact I think me getting an AP will increse the magic for DL, no longer will I have to run around to look at everything, I can take it slow, and look at every plant and tree. :D

42 More Days!!!! :D

hbquikcomjamesl
02-05-2002, 08:08 AM
I've been a passholder for so long, I've almost forgotten what it was like not to be one.

When I was unemployed for four years (corresponding almost exactly to the administration of "Papa" Bush), I couldn't afford to go to movies, and could only afford Hollywood Bowl because my parents gave me my season subscription renewals for Christmas. My Disneyland pass (birthday present from my parents) gave me a place to go instead of to a movie, a place I could spend my evenings (and with The Parade there, I did so quite a bit) without it beggaring me.

In general, I've found that after a few years with an annual pass, one develops a great deal of patience. One becomes willing to wait out a train or two on the platform at the monorail station, in order to get a cab seat without having to be rude about it. One becomes willing to go to Disneyland and just spend hours walking around, absorbing the atmosphere, maybe seeing a parade, or The Parade, or Fantasmic, or maybe looking at the exhibits in The Disney Gallery, or picking up a gift for a friend who isn't blessed with a pass, and not riding a single thing, and somehow, it's all right, because it's already paid for, and one can come back any time without having to pay again.

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
One becomes willing to wait out a train or two on the platform at the monorail station, in order to get a cab seat without having to be rude about it..[/i]

A cab seat would be in the front? Do they still load the front? Everytime we've asked we were told "no". :(

mad4mky
02-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, I live 6 1/2 hours away from DLR...and we bought our first Annual Passports for a family of 5 this past December.
So, distance shouldn't be a factor in buying them, if you go as often as we do.
We don't have the luxury of local people getting to go almost every weekend...but when we do go, it's one less expense to have to worry about when we go. We still have to worry about "seeing everything" in our short time there...
But, if you go more 2 or 3 times to the parks, then having an Annual Passport is worth the money.

Brown Monkey
02-05-2002, 09:07 AM
I just got my pass in December, and haven't gone too many times to make my own determination, but this was actually a concern that my friend had when she got hers last year. She feared the same thing. That Disneyland would lose it's magic for her if she went too many times. But after all the times she went last year, she had told me that the magic was still the same for her, if not better. She never regretted getting an annual passport.

What I'm looking forward to with my pass is all the time it frees up, like others have said. It gives me the opportunity to go on rides I wouldn't normally go on, eat at some of the nicer restaurants that would usually take up more time, and actually browse through the shops to do some real shopping! Even to just sit somewhere and absorb the nice atmosphere will be a plus.

Buying an annual passport doesn't mean that you have to go all the time anyway. I'm not planning on going all the time. I'll probably make a visit every couple of months or so. But it is still such a benefit when you think about how it will basically pay for itself after just a few visits. So it works out great.

You should buy an annual passport. I think it is such an advantage. Especialy now that they are offering both parks. I don't think you will ever get tired of it! :D

Davideo
02-05-2002, 09:15 AM
So my bf and I bought annual passes just before Sep 11th, and I think as a result, have gone for one day (usually Sunday) almost every weekend since. Ok, sure, going on Pirates for the 100th time does lose a bit of it's luster...but it's really true, we've been enjoying each and every visit. There really is less pressure to go on every ride. I used to leave DL feeling exhausted...and now some of our trips have been relaxing. We go on the rides that we used to bypass (Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, Alice's Adventures), we take our time over meals, go into shops, stop and listen to music and really walk around and appreciate the look of the place. And we've also gotten more creative about our trips. Here are some of the things we've done...

1. Just sat on the stoops on Main Street and people watched. So much fun.
2. Brought books and went into the lobby of the Grand Californian, sat by the fire and read for awhile.
3. Took a breather from a crowded day and hit a movie at the AMC on downtown Disney. (Sooo relaxing, I really recommend this).
4. Brought along our MP3 player, bought a co-axil so that two headphones would fit in it, and picked out special music for rides...which actually gives them a new, exciting feel.

Not to say that we don't go on rides. We do. But we've learned how to enjoy the park beyond the rides. We have a completely different experience every time we go. And somehow, we look forward to going again next weekend.

Gemini Cricket
02-05-2002, 10:12 AM
When I had an annual pass, I used to go to DL just for lunch, to do my papers, or to just get away for a couple of hours. It allowed me a luxuirous stay at DL w/o constant rushing and stress. It didn't make me feel that I was losing out on the magic of the place. Like hq, when I was a starving student and had no where else to hang out without unloading tons of money, I'd go there, show my pass, spend the day, eat cheap at the Stage Door Cafe etc. and still have a great time!
:)
Frap, get a pass...go nuts.
:D

disneynut
02-05-2002, 11:15 AM
My family of four lives about 6 hours away and has ap's. I don't think it takes the magic away. We try to make it down every month or every other month. My kids still skip through the gate and start yelling and getting excited when they see Mickey. With the ap's we don't feel that we have to run from attraction to attraction. We can sit and people watch, get the good seats for parades and fireworks. I'm dreading my son starting school when my Dl trips will be reduced to summer, holidays and long weekends. But on the other hand...all that free time. Yea :D

innerSpaceman
02-05-2002, 11:51 AM
I will admit it. Having an AP made me BORED WITH DISNEYLAND. After about 15 years. But still, after a decade and a half of being able to go whenever I wanted, not being rushed, not feeling the NEED to go on this ride or that, exploring the Park in all its magic detail, dropping in just for fireworks and leaving, hanging out at Coke Corner for hours on end, following the Disneyland Band from gig to gig - well after 15 years of that I found the magic of Disneyland indeed diminishing for me. So I dropped my AP and have now found that visiting the Park about 4 times a year maintains the magic at proper levels (though, sadly, I rarely experience the intense magic of bygone years).

Now that AP prices have dropped drastically, it makes more sense to get one even for 4 times a year. I just hope I don't abuse it.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-05-2002, 02:24 PM
In my own experience, a premium pass, allowing both for attendance on at least SOME days when discounted local-resident promotion tickets are available, and for shop/restaurant discounts, and for free parking, pays for itself in about 5 or 6 visits. A deluxe pass takes about the same number of visits, and if you get it with parking, it's only $15 less than the premium, so if you're going for the deluxe, you may as well get the premium, and get all 365 days.

If you're not interested in attending on ANY of the peak days (no July, no late June, no early August, no Christmas, no Memorial Day Weekend, no Thanksgiving Weekend), the "Southern California" pass might pay for itself in 3 or 4 visits, but many of the days that are left are days when, if you're a local resident, you can get discounted tickets anyway.

Ace
02-05-2002, 04:24 PM
TAKE OFF YOUR 'AVATAR'!!!!!!! IT SCARES ME!

MouseWife
02-05-2002, 05:01 PM
I have grown up going to Disneyland and now go with my family as often as possible.

I can see the fear of becoming bored. But, one thing that I have felt by going every chance I get is like coming home. I love that I know things and that it all feels familiar.

I had the chance to meet Not Afraid and Cemienke over the holidays. It felt like she was giving me a tour of her home. :) I really liked that. I like the feeling of not being rushed, not having to ride something or be sad I didn't.

They really did know the perfect spot for the parade and they weren't all freaky about their spot, either, as, blessed as we can be, it wasn't a once in a lifetime experience.

I don't know how they felt afterwards sitting by the statue of Walt and Mickey, but I felt like I was sitting in their back yard just chatting away. That it WERE my back yard, WAHOO!

Not Afraid
02-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I had the chance to meet Not Afraid and Cemienke over the holidays. It felt like she was giving me a tour of her home. :) I really liked that. I like the feeling of not being rushed, not having to ride something or be sad I didn't.

They really did know the perfect spot for the parade and they weren't all freaky about their spot, either, as, blessed as we can be, it wasn't a once in a lifetime experience.

I don't know how they felt afterwards sitting by the statue of Walt and Mickey, but I felt like I was sitting in their back yard just chatting away. That it WERE my back yard, WAHOO!

WOW! I don't know what to say. That just makes me smile. That was a great day.

DL is like a very comfortable and magical home away from home for me. Its like the Grandma's House I never had and more. The more I go (which is now once or twice a week) the more I find to be enthralled by. I never get bored, in fact I find more magic each time I go.

A perfect example of a perfect AP kind of day would be last Sunday. Four APs exploring the park find a few memorable things to watch or discover: The Swans, the turtles in the moat (one large, one tiny), the Main Street Merchants Brass Band (and Saxaphone), Chip and Dale in the Explorer Canoes, eating a relaxing breakfast outside at the River Belle and Aztec Dancers performing at Plaza Gardens. Oh, and we went on some rides too.

I've had museum memberships, performance series tickets, Zoo APs and a variety of other annual memberships. This is by far the best and most fulfilling.

MouseWife
02-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

DL is like a very comfortable and magical home away from home for me. Its like the Grandma's House I never had and more.

You know, that might be it. I had Grandmas but never the wonderful sensation of having their home be a special place.

Eh, one of the high points of that day was to actually meet you guys {to me}. My cabana boy of a son ditched us to hang out by the pool and jacuzzi, dinner ended up being Buca di Beppos left overs {for me}, and my feet were certainly tired by the end of that 4 day trip.

To meet two people {and I know there are tons on this board} who have the love of the Mouse in their heart was so inspiring. :)

Ya know, not everyone loves DL.

MammaSilva
02-05-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife

Ya know, not everyone loves DL.

Oh wow isn't that the truth and unfortunately I married one of them :(

This is the second time I've invested in an AP, both times were to be able to afford a second (or third) trip to the park in a year, I would buy the flex passes for the first trip, then on the last day trade them in for AP's so that I didn't have to worry about that expense for the next trip, we live about 8 hours away and so far have made 3 trips on this AP and it doesn't expire until December thanks to the 4 month add on when the passes changed over...we have a week in April planned, a week in June, a flying visit in July, then for sure in november after Thanksgiving so we can see the park done up in Holiday glory (and hopefully ride HM made over as the NBC HM again!) I guess the distance makes it still magical but in my heart I know if I lived withing walking distance of the gates and could go everyday the magic would always be there, because every visit you see someone who is there for their very first trip.. that Joyous look is unmistakable, there is so much to see, do and enjoy that I don't think I could ever be 'bored' at the park....DCA is a totally different subject but we won't go there :)

blusilva
02-06-2002, 01:02 AM
I don't get bored at all. I like to have the time to stop and smell the cabbage in Tomorrowland. Or sit and journal in the Gallery patio. Or just wander around Tom Sawyer's Island. I find something awesome every time I go.
And since I only live 20 minutes away, and am unfettered from employment at the moment, I spend a LOT of time at the park (if not money right now). It's sort of an "inspirational" place to go, I guess. Some days I just sit around and write, or people-watch, or even read (I know, that sounds weird, going to Disneyland to read. But it's paid for. What the heck?). Some days I ride stuff. Some days I go alone, other days I meet friends. Every day is different. And fun. And exciting. And it beats watching TV or hanging out on the 'Net. :)

socabch
02-06-2002, 06:57 AM
I think it depends on who you are. Some people may tire of visiting DLR too much. Like with anything, some things are better in moderation. But for me, I could visit every week and still enjoy the magic. Sometimes we won't go to let's say Toon Town and Fantasyland for 3 or 4 months. Then one day we decide to go over there. It's like seeing and old freind that you've missed. The excitement is still there. Before we had AP's we would visit 3 or four times a year and run all over trying to cram everyting in. Now that we moved back to SD we have AP's and have gone at least 20 times since July. We take our time enjoy everything. Sometimes I let my kids go ride the rides while I look for Hidden Mickeys. It's nice getting up and deciding at the last minute to go to DLR. One of my favorite ways to relax is go to Tom Sawyer Island on a warm sunny day and find a quite spot just to sit and listen to all the happy people off in the distance.

There is one magical item that I have grown tired of. The Parade of Stars. I miss a good movie themed parade!!!!!!