PDA

View Full Version : News!! Very detailed info on the new "skull" on POTC!!

Pages : [1] 2

Rallymonkey23
02-04-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm not going into detail here. Just read this. Sounds very exciting to me!!

http://www.dcacentral.com/dca/jim_hill/showarticle.asp?ID=12&page=1

Nigel2
02-04-2002, 10:48 PM
HA I was right that is where the skull is believed to be.:D

Hmmmm 2 galleons, don't know about the cannonballs near guests, unless it is air like indy has... they can't use foam balls since guets would try to catch them...

MonorailMan
02-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Maybe there going to be holligrams :confused:

blusilva
02-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Nothing cracks me up more than people getting in a snit over people getting in a snit.

Reminds me of the old days on a.d.d.

Gemini Cricket
02-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Great article! I welcome the changes. I do! The spanish fort area is really dark and there isn't anything going on on that side of the fight scene. To have another huge ship on the right is a great idea! If they could make both ships bob with the waves ala Splash Mtn's steamboat, that would be perfect! The flaming skull idea is cool too. The whole bookending the attraction from before the battle scene to the end is a great storytelling device.
:)

Sheila
02-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
Nothing cracks me up more than people getting in a snit over people getting in a snit.

Ditto. There just aren't any more really good, ripsnorting flame wars over minutiae, are there..... ;)

Sheila

Brown Monkey
02-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Hey, this is the same link that I posted in the POTC storyline and 50th anniversary threads. That's cool that you posted it here too. I guess us monkeys all think alike, huh Rally? Hehehe... :D

Brown Monkey

Gemini Cricket
02-05-2002, 01:52 PM

What's a.d.d.? :confused:

And don't say it's the opposite of s.u.b.t.r.a.c.t. !!!!;)

MonorailMan
02-05-2002, 02:16 PM
The old newgroup:

alt.disney.disneyland

DisneylandBoy
02-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Well, at first I was skeptacle (sp?), but now that I read that article - it all makes sense! And now, I can hardly wait to see what else WDI hasto offer. I knew not everyone at Disneyland was bad . . .

DisneyFiend
02-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Reading that article gets me excited to think about all the other changes they're going to make. I don't think I can wait until 2005. I know that there has been talk about the changes in other threads, but that article really made me think about it.

SM is my favorite ride at DL. I liked it even more when they added the music......I hope the change for the 50th will be great too.

Ace
02-05-2002, 08:21 PM
It wasn't clarified for me, since my high, high IQ automatically gave my mind the right picture. I knew they wouldn't make it stupid... I was thinking about the cannonballs, though, and it presented a problem. even for me.

I bet it's just air and a sound like Indy, because actual projectiles without guardrails or strings or anything, even if they're foam, spell LAWSUIT already.

innerSpaceman
02-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Ok, so now it's a giant flaming skull to let people know they've been transported back to the age of pirates of the Caribbean because they've seen the acursed treasure. Well what have people been thinking all this time? Do the Disney folks think no one has noticed the storyline of this attraction? That guests somehow missed the pirate's lair populated by skeletons and then the vast chamber of treasure and then a town full of living, pillaging pirates in a bygone age?

If they want an over-the-top, hit-you-over-the-head effect like a Giant Flaming Skull, if they think that kind of garish display will be spectacularly cool amidst the fine detail of Pirates of the Caribbean, then fine. But don't insult Disneyland guests by pretending that no one has managed to "get" the tale of Pirates all these 25 years. Please.

MammaSilva
02-05-2002, 09:46 PM
well considering everything we've seen lately, I'm at the "when I see it in person I'll believe it" stage....I haven't seen too many classy things coming out of the budget lately, not that they aren't coming up with them, just not getting the budget to make it happen with style...HM NBC was the first really cool thing I've seen happen in a while...

blusilva
02-06-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

If they want an over-the-top, hit-you-over-the-head effect like a Giant Flaming Skull, if they think that kind of garish display will be spectacularly cool amidst the fine detail of Pirates of the Caribbean, then fine. But don't insult Disneyland guests by pretending that no one has managed to "get" the tale of Pirates all these 25 years. Please.

Yeah, seems kind of fanwanky to me, even if it is the Imagineers that are supposedly behind it.

Sounds like they are looking for any reason to recycle an effect from another attraction while labeling it new and exciting - and hoping if they say the reason is "storyline" that the fans won't get all cranky about it.

That may not be the case, but that's what the article made it sound like to me.

tabacco
02-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Ok, so now it's a giant flaming skull to let people know they've been transported back to the age of pirates of the Caribbean because they've seen the acursed treasure. Well what have people been thinking all this time? Do the Disney folks think no one has noticed the storyline of this attraction? That guests somehow missed the pirate's lair populated by skeletons and then the vast chamber of treasure and then a town full of living, pillaging pirates in a bygone age?

I have yet to meet a guest who realizes the underlying story of Pirates. They all go "wow, cool, animatronics and a catchy song" but they don't realize that the first bit is the result of a curse or anything else the designers hoped they would.

blusilva
02-06-2002, 01:25 AM
It's a shame we haven't met. :) I got it when I was 7.

It seems sort of self explanatory, if a little backwards. I don't see the need for a flaming skull to explain it further. The little skeleton head up front pretty much tells you all you need to know. And the cave guy. If people listen instead of yakking to each other about their date last Friday night.

But if they want to put in a flaming skull, fine. Just don't tell me it's because people don't get it. It's because they happen to have one handy.

justagrrl
02-06-2002, 07:28 AM
I must be really stupid because I had to have the storyline spelled out to me - and it's one of my favorite rides.

Since finding out, I've relayed the storyline to others and they, too, had no idea.

However, I don't think the addition of giant flaming skull with clarify the story for anyone.

tabacco
02-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Well, I think they had other things in mind besides the flaming skull, too. I'd expect to see more additions than just that. One thing I'd like to see is the hiding of the work lights in the ceiling behind scrims or something.

MickeyD
02-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I must be really stupid because I had to have the storyline spelled out to me - and it's one of my favorite rides.
<snip>
However, I don't think the addition of giant flaming skull with clarify the story for anyone.

Ok, I'm stupid too then. I never really even thought about a storyline until someone told me. Of course then it all clicked. But I think to this day I would be clueless if someone hadn't mentioned it.

I also am skeptical about the giant flaming skull clarifying it for anyone, but I guess we'll see.

Rallymonkey23
02-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Brown Monkey
Hey, this is the same link that I posted in the POTC storyline and 50th anniversary threads. That's cool that you posted it here too. I guess us monkeys all think alike, huh Rally? Hehehe... :D

Brown Monkey

LOL I guess so. Now if only I could use some Disney "magic" to help the Angels win this year. :crying: Were you thinking about the Angels when you made your username Brown Monkey?

Brown Monkey
02-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
LOL I guess so. Now if only I could use some Disney "magic" to help the Angels win this year. Were you thinking about the Angels when you made your username Brown Monkey?

Hehe, actually no. It has something to do with my nationality, but that's another story!! ;)

You know, I honestly never even realized that there was a storyline to POTC, silly me! But neither has anyone that I personally know. Alot of people that I see posting feel the same way. Maybe you're just blessed that you were able to fully understand the storyline, innerSpaceman!

Sounds like they are looking for any reason to recycle an effect from another attraction while labeling it new and exciting - and hoping if they say the reason is "storyline" that the fans won't get all cranky about it.

Just curious, but which attraction are they recycling this from? Anyway, as long as it will positively help the storyline (as they stay) and it looks really cool, then the whole "recycling" issue doesn't matter to me. It will still be "new" and "exciting" to me. I'm looking forward to it.

Ace
02-06-2002, 05:12 PM
I hope the skull talks.... and is evil. and named Murray! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! or not. They should have waves , and the ride boat would be on hydraulics or (yes, I made this up) Indy-underwater. It would be like Indy, just on water.

DisneylandBoy
02-06-2002, 05:20 PM

I always thought it was a backwards dream sequence, or that it went backwards in time. I never realzied it had anything to do with the treasure.

tabacco
02-06-2002, 05:38 PM
"He has seen the cursed treasure! He knows too much!"