PDA

View Full Version : Ward Kimball Locomotive Dedication Run

smd4
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
On Thursday, June 23rd, I had a very special opportunity to ride along on the official dedication run of the Ward Kimball. I've posted this on the Disney Trains Message Board (http://www.burnsland.com/cgi-bin/drrdb2/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=2), but thought the readers here might enjoy this as well.

The day began early—about an hour earlier than I expected—at 3:00 am. I had promised to give Preston, the college student who did the drawings for my book, a wake-up call, but in my flurry of activity the night before, I had placed his number in my camcorder manual! My wonderful wife Alice found it, and I called Preston. Happily, he was already awake, and 5 minutes from my house! He had stayed up all night, and needed no wakeup call.

We headed out, and got to the park around 5:30. We checked in with security, and began walking to the roundhouse. The sun was up and it was a bit overcast. As we walked to the TDA compound, we saw Chris Allen and Ken Kukuk checking in, and we walked the rest of the way to the roundhouse with them. Chris, well-know in the large-scale live-steam modeling community, was heavily involved with restoring the Ward. Ken, an aficionado of pipe organs, had fashioned the little classification lamps that you see on ol’ No. 5.

When we got to the roundhouse, the little engine was already under steam, having undergone additional testing with two trainsets in tow the night before. Dale Tetley, a good friend of mine and a roundhouse operating engineer, was polishing the tiny beast. Sucker that I am for strenuous polishing work, I volunteered to help. Dale handed me some rags and brass polish, and I went to work. I recruited Preston to help, because he looked like he needed to sweat a little.

We were even then under the assumption that the engine would be released for service later that day, and we were determined to make the Ward Kimball sparkle on her big day, in the best tradition of a Disneyland steam locomotive. I polished the brass bands and one cylinder casing; Preston got the steam dome, running board edges and the other cylinder. I also climbed up and put some elbow grease to work on the headlight top and bezel.

In the midst of all this frantic polishing other invited guests showed up. I suspect that Paul Boschan, president of Boschan Boiler and Restoration, Inc., organized this very special occasion as a sort of “thank you” for his friends and associates who helped wit the project. There were maybe 10 or 15 people total.

As I finished the headlight and stepped down off the pilot deck, I saw a gentleman off to the side, admiring the work (as many of the others were). This gentleman was dressed better than we were, and seemed to be enjoying watching the little engine get primped and preened. I had seen his face before—maybe once—and as I drew closer, I looked at the gold cast member name tag he was wearing. His name was Matt.

I walked over and introduced myself, and we exchanged pleasantries. Mr. Oiumet said that the restoration crew had done a remarkable job, to which I heartily agreed. I told him that I thought he was doing a wonderful job at the park, and thanked him for his efforts. He immediately deflected that praise, and said it was not he who had done anything special, but that it was really them—and he pointed to Dale and some of the other cast members working on the engine. Then I said, “I have a friend who would very much like to meet you.” Matt said, “Well, it would be my pleasure to meet him.” I tapped Preston’s shoulder, and told him I’d like him to meet someone. Preston stepped down, and shook Matt’s hand. We again thanked him, but there was work to be done and we didn’t want to take up his time, and so we returned to our “chores.”

The polishing continued. Pledge furniture polish was used on the jacket and paint work. Soon enough, the engine shone to a high sheen. I asked Paul if I might climb into the cab one last time, as I knew this opportunity would never happen again, and I wanted just a minute more with the 103-year-old steamer. Paul obliged, and I climbed up. She was beautiful, inside and out. It was getting late, and Paul indicated it was time to move the engine for her morning blowdown. Paul mounted the cab, and the headlight and class lamps were turned on. It looked awesome. Two toots of the whistle, steam screaming from the cylinder cocks, and slowly, inch by inch, the engine rolled 40 feet past the door of the roundhouse.

With Dale and Craig Ludwick, Roundhouse Lead, in the cab, Paul went down and opened the blowdown manually. Steam blasted out, and the lower portion of the firebox was cleared of boiler-damaging sediment. Then the engine was backed up and coupled onto car 201, the first stock car.

Paul, almost demurely, said, “Well…All aboard!”

We climbed aboard the car with the other guests. Paul was in the cab with Craig and Dale, and another gentleman whom I did not know. Two more toots, and we began moving down the lead tracks to the main line. The switch at Tomorrowland was thrown, and away we went!

What an amazing sight to see the park so empty, save for maintenance workers hosing down walkways and watering plants. We rolled through Tomorrowland station, and entered the dioramas. There were only bird sounds in the Grand Canyon, and the sounds of thunder in the portion where it rains. No Grand Canyon Suite, and no Mysterious Island in the Primeval World. The engine up front steamed well, and we rolled to a stop in front of Main Street Station. There, we disembarked. Folks were already camping out in front of the entrance gates below, and one can only wonder what their thoughts were, as this little train, one car only, rolled to a stop.

Now we were able to wander around the engine some more and take more pictures. Cast Member Matt was here, having walked over from the roundhouse. Group photos were taken of the Boschan crew, and of the DRR CMs standing next to the 1902 Baldwin. Matt posed for a few as well. After the pictures, Matt said a few words—nothing formal—and expressed his thanks to the Boschan crew for their outstanding work on the Ward Kimball. He said the Fred Gurley would be coming up soon for work, but indicated that would, in all likelihood, be done after the Lilly Belle is brought back. Paul, ever the salesman, noted, “We do coaches too!” Afterwards, Paul and Matt had a few words to themselves while others continued to look the engine over, and I heard Paul compliment Matt for working to bring the park back to its former glory. Again, Matt said it wasn’t him who was responsible, but the thousands of cast members to whom that honor should go. I commented that it took teamwork. Matt agreed completely. Then he bade his goodbye, and began his walk back to TDA.

We went out of the station and walked down to the Floral Mickey, and took a few pictures from that location. Main Street was deserted except for CMs still hosing the street and performing minor maintenance. We climbed back up to the train, and boarded again. This time, a veteran Disneyland Railroad engineer properly attired in blue stripes and a red bandanna ascended the cab steps. His name was Earl, and he took off like someone who has been running trains a long time, and who knew the road ahead like the back of his hand. The cylinder cocks were opened, and the steam spewed forth in a rhythmic “Hiss, hiss, hiss, hiss…” Paul was now back with us in our “private car,” trying not to stay seated and not perform any of the apparent dance moves that are now prohibited in the cars, according to the safety placards. Our conductor, Tracey, seemed to enjoy the antics.

We rolled into Frontierland and stopped shortly. Then we took off again. We rolled along the quite Rivers of America, which were completely tranquil and very relaxing in the early morning hours. Paul and I tried to extend our cameras out the side of the car on curves, but I don’t think these came out very well. We rolled to a stop near the mainline switch, and Earl disembarked. Paul got back on and we headed to Tomorrowland, where we stopped again. Both Craig and Dale were taking turns firing and pulling, and we once more took off for Main Street. Once there, Paul looked back at me as I stared rapt into the cab, and silently motioned me forward. I could not believe what was about to happen.
Preston and I stepped out of the cattle car, and reverently climbed the steps of the cab. The three of us—me, Preston and Paul—stood while Dale pulled the throttle and Craig fired. Two toots, and we were off!

At the risk of sounding sexist (and I do apologize in advance if I do), I can say with certainty that before women became engineers, barber shops and steam locomotive cabs were two of the last refuges of men. And true to form, some of our conversations can’t be repeated in polite company. But I can say that it was a magical experience being in this cab. The sounds of the engine were loud and soothing all at the same time. Licks of flame sometimes shot out of the peephole in the firebox door, and I could feel the heat radiating from the backhead. Craig was masterful with the firing valve and injector, keeping the needle pegged at 150. Dale pulled like a pro. Paul, standing inches from Dale, who was seated on the cushion, complained that all he could see was the back of Dale’s head. But Paul could hang out the gangway and take in the cool breeze, a respite from the warm cab.

We had videos and still cameras with us, and while we rolled down the line, we began to do “interviews.” Craig and Dale are cast members from the old school, and they “get it.” Craig said he was honored to be part of the Disneyland Railroad, and took very seriously his charge to keep Walt’s legacy running.

Through the tunnels, the brass gauge lamps glowed warmly, and we rolled along to Tomorrowland, where we again stopped. Paul wished to give cab rides to those who wanted to go, and at each station stop, new riders could come aboard. Preston and I climbed down, and a man and woman took their places in the cab for the trip to Main Street. Once there, they disembarked and came back to the cattle car. The woman said, “Gee, it sure is hot in there!” Paul came back and asked who else wanted a cab ride. Preston and I knew we had our opportunity, and we knew we had to “share.” But out of the 15 of us in the car, no one else volunteered to go! I was shocked, but before we took off again, I caught Paul’s attention in the cab, and asked if we could board again. Paul nodded.

So again, Preston and I entered the cab for another trip around the park. Both Preston and I got some whistle time, and I made sure when I yanked the lever, that the whistle would be heard throughout Anaheim. Paul said I blew it so loud that the sound would travel into outer space, and that one day, an alien in the form of a 40 foot tall whistle would emerge from its flying saucer and wonder where its brethren was.

Paul was at the throttle now, and we rolled past the switch to the roundhouse, where we stopped. Our adventure was almost over. A truck unloading a container backstage was straddling the track, however, and we had to wait until they moved before backing in. Paul stepped down to go back and throw the switch, and gave his seat to Craig. When we were ready to go, we began backing in, whistle blowing three times along the way. Slowly, we backed in until we came to a gentle stop in the same place that the day began.

Craig shut everything down, and stepped off. Dale stayed a few more minutes with us and chatted. He asked me to turn off the main header valve, to which I obliged. Some discussion took place about the nature of the throttle lever. It’s a bit shorter than the others, and it is placed farther back on the backhead. Making it feel slightly different from the other engines. It is also somewhat tight.

Preston and I stepped out of the cab for the last time, and I compulsively grabbed a rag, and polished a little bit more. The engine may burn diesel, but soot was still deposited on the flat surfaces of the engine. We had a few more pictures with the engine. Paul wanted to get one of me posing with the headlight art, for some reason. The Boschan crew was getting ready to head out for breakfast, and Preston and I would soon be doing the same, so we said our goodbyes. Dale and Craig got back to work keeping Walt’s trains running. I thanked Paul for the utterly magical experience he had given us today, and he walked away, the back of his dark blue overalls now proudly embroidered in red thread “Boschan Boiler.”

I did not want to say “goodbye” to this little engine that I’ve come to know so well, but I knew that the next time I see her, it will be from behind a gate at Main Street Station. We began to walk back to the car, but before doing so, I went back, and gave the little teakettle one last pat on the number plate.

Now, I look forward to the day when I will go to the park again with my family (maybe in September, after the kids go back to school?). I'll climb those steps at Main Street Station, wander its waiting room, and head out to one of the platforms. There, wrought iron gates and a friendly conductor will impede my attempts to get closer to this engine, and I will have to content myself with hearing her first from around the bend, and then watching, as she grows larger and larger as she approaches. The bell and whistle will sound, and she will roll past. I will wave at the engineer, and silently think about cherished memories. And then I will board the first passenger car, as close to the front as I can get, and I will point out the cab interior to my 16-month-old son Chris, wondering if an experience like this will shape him as it shaped me. My wife Alice will look at us with lovingly condescending bemusement.

And then, we will all enjoy a ride or three behind the locomotive Ward Kimball, at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Andrew
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
:chills:

Thank you very much, Steve.

TikiGeek
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks Steve - great detail! You write well, have you thought about putting together a book? :D

MammaSilva
06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for sharing.....what a wonderful experience!

CrazyTrain
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Beautiful post. Thank you.
Will you be posting any of your pictures?

Mark Goldhaber
06-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks Steve - great detail! You write well, have you thought about putting together a book? :D
Um, he did (http://www.dlrcad.com/book/).

TimBuk2
06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Steve
Can you share any of your photos of the Ward Kimball ? Thanks!

smd4
06-28-2005, 08:30 AM
I'll try to get a link to some pictures for you guys soon.

smd4
07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Well, I said I'd try to get some photos, and here they are (also some video too). Thanks to Preston Nirattisai for these.

Ward Kimball Dedication Run (http://www.mynameispreston.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35)

Karen256
07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Great pictures!!! Thank you!!!

CrazyTrain
07-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Thank you so much for the pictures and video! :)

nightdesigns
07-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Thank's for the story, it puts so much more meaning into the trains other than a ride.

Question for you, you mentioned they were disel engines (and I always thought they were because you can smell it after a train rolls by). How exactly does this work? You've spoken of fire and such, typical with wood or coal, how does the disel perform the same task...

Thanks.

smd4
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Alright, ND, you asked for it!

Steam locomotives are fairly simple in concept: The boiler is filled with water; it is heated; steam is created; when the steam pressure builds, that force can be used to push on pistons used to turn the wheels.

The heat source to create the fire can come from any number of fuels. These fuels are burned in a box within the boiler called the firebox. Water surrounds the firebox, and is heated from there (interesting, if morbid, tidbit: Mummies were so plentiful in Egypt, that before their archaeological significance was realized, they, too, were burned in steam locomotive fireboxes!).

In the old days, most commonly coal or wood was burned in the firebox. That meant 1) a lot of work for the person who had to keep the fire going--called the fireman--who would have to physically shovel tons of coal or heave in hundreds of logs; and 2) you had to have a ready supply of the type of fuel used. In the case of coal, that's not much of an option here in the West, because we really don't have coal resevers. And wood is inefficient; the engine would have to stop every few hours to load wood into the tender. And then there would be the problem of ashes. A messy situation to be sure.

The easiest solution is to burn a liquid fuel, and one of the most common here is diesel. It burns easy, it's easy to work with, and it's plentiful. The fireman then only has to adjust a small lever to regulate the fire, just like turning a knob on your gas stove to increase or decrease the heat. No backbreaking shoveling.

As to how it works, it's like this: The diesel flows by gravity from the tender through a flexible hose to the front of the firebox, between the big drive wheels. There, it is fed into a burner mounted in a hole in the firebox. On the burner, which is sort of like a nozzel, steam is used to blow the liquid diesel into the firebox as a mist. That mist is then ignited (Have you ever seen "fire eaters" from the old side-shows who fill their mouths with flamable liquid and then blow it out through a flame, igniting it? Works the same way.)

The fire then can be easily regulated from the cab by adjusting either the fuel flow, or the mist-making jet on the burner. This way, the fireman can keep a nice steady fire going, and keep steam plentiful to pull the trains!

There you have it. More than you probably wanted to know about how the little diesel-burners at the park work!

nightdesigns
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Alright, ND, you asked for it!

Thanks for the awesome reply. Never really thought of disel as a very flammable fuel, or at least used in this sense, but I guess it's flammable enough. Would have thought of something like Natural Gas or Propane.

smd4
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Actually, those are used in some amusement park trains as well!

Some fuels don't seem very flammable. Steam engines in the West used to burn an oil called "Bunker C." Bunker C oil is about as thick as tar. If you dropped a lighted match onto it, it would go out.

It had to be heated in order to even flow out of the tender, and then it, too, was atomized by a burner inn the firebox. The oil would only burn if it was atmoized into small droplets; if if wasn't, no fire!

Osky
07-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Actually, those are used in some amusement park trains as well!

Doesn't Casey JR use propane?

Also, if I am not mistaken, the old Essex Class aircraft carriers burned Bunker C.