PDA

View Full Version : Pooh sized/overweight guest

MMF71
06-27-2005, 12:05 PM
We are heading out to DL in August.
Steriods have not been nice to my body (on them b/c of a kidney disease). Anyway, I am appox 120 lbs overweight, size 28. For reference, most of my weight is in the stomach/hips area.

are there any rides I should avoid because of my size? I would hate to get up to a ride only to be turned away because I don't fit.
The rides I am most interested in are:

Indiana Jones
Big Thunder
Space Mountain
Mr Toad's Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr Circus Train (I know the cage cars aren't out, but do they have non caged cars?)
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Star Tours
Pinocchio's Darling Journey
Peter Pan

Flik's Fun Fair (mainly Heimich's Chew Chew Train)
Tower of Terror
California Screamin' (this one I am very interested in, as I know coasters aren't usually size friendly)
Sun Wheel
Soarin'

My other concern are the turn-isles. I heard the ones to the train are fairly small, is that true? If so, could I use the wheelchair enterance?
What about any other turnisles? Are there some that are tight? Could I use the wheelchair enterance if I get to one & I don't think it will work?

What about any theatre seats? Like Muppets 3D, Aladdin, etc?

Thanks for any and all your help!!!!!!

MammaSilva
06-27-2005, 12:12 PM
As for Disneyland, you can ride everything on your list, even the caged cars on Casey Jr. ..this is coming from someone built very low and wide....over at DCA, I don't do throw up rides so I don't know about Screaming but I've been on ToT and I ride Soaring every time we go at least once and usually several times (I love that ride) I've been to the Aladdin show, to the different 'theater shows' It's Tough to be a Bug and Muppets and had no problems fitting in the seats, oh and I've been on Hemilichs choo choo with no problems at all. Hope this helps.

Stupid_American
06-27-2005, 12:25 PM
My niece, a size 24, says that the only ride that was "iffy" was the Maliboomer.
She rode it, but needed assistance buckling in.

mystycalchyk
06-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I wear the same size as you.

In your list the only one I havent ridden is the Heimlich's Chew Chew train. I've just never had the inclination.

I ride everything at Disneyland except the Maliboomer (would probably fit, but no thanks) and the Orange Stinger (they have a weight limit) and Mulholland Madness (I've never tried but I have heard it's tight)

Everything else is no problem :)

meagee
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Some of the FL dark ride cars are close but that has more to do with leg room than anything else. I personally had a brief moment where I had visions of being stuck in Snow White's turn style. For some reason I had a brief moment of being stuck last time I went. Maybe I just had to give things an extra push. Anyway, a moment of ultimate terror. Think they could make that into a ride?

As a side note, I do carry my weight in my legs and hips. It is not uncommon for me to come back home with bruises on my legs from having to push myself through the turn styles. They don't include that info in the guide books!

uvsc_wolverine
06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
The main one I'd be concerned about is Big Thunder Mountain. I'm kind of a big guy. I'm about 30 pounds overweight, and I'm built like a linebacker. The lap bars on Big Thunder can be a little cramped as far as my legs are concerned, but fitting in the car isn't an issue at all.

blusilva
06-27-2005, 02:55 PM
I have to assume you're female, since you indicated a specific woman's size...as a female that size, the only "issue" I have is that the over-the-shoulder bars on California Screamin' are awfully snug over my bountiful...er..twins. And for my own comfort I won't share a Matterhorn bobsled or a bench on Splash Mountain or a Mullholland Madness car. I've never tried the Zephyr or The Stinger over at DCA, though - that type of whirling around at the edge of a chain would make me hurl.

The Genii
06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Ironically, if you are Pooh-sized, then Pooh may be one of the few rides that will be tight. I weigh 180 and have a 34-inch waist and I find it to be very tight in the back seat. Try the front seat! It's a charming ride and I've always enjoyed it much more than the Orlando version because of its intimate scale and natural setting.

poohlover
06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I was last at DL/CA in 10/03 and was really concerned about "fitting" in the rides. I was probably a size 30 at the time. I had absolutely NO problems, although Splash and Thunder Mountains were closed at the time. Screamin' was no problem - we went on it several times! If I remember right, Alice in Wonderland was a little skimpy on leg room but we did fine. We are going back in October of this year, and I'm down 50 pounds from last time and plan to be down more by then, and I'm looking forward to not running out of steam so quickly!! I wanna see it ALL (several times)!!

Have fun!!

phillyorig
06-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I know where you are coming from. I used to be a size 30+. Now I'm a 20/22.

I had NO PROBLEM with anyrides due to being heavy!!! Hubby had a slight prob on Mailuboomer(belly) I didn't ride it.
Screaming, while i was pulling down the bar, I didn't pull all the way down ( I'm claustrophobic and cant have anything around my neck), it still locked and I was confined,BUT, when you go through the loop, the bar comes down closer on your chest!!
I had no problem on Thunder.

My problem is that I am tall!!!! I am 6ft!!

Forget about Mulholland(sp) Drive. Legs didn't fit!!!!
Splash and Pirates, had a prob getting out of the car...
All due to my knees.

There is ample room in all rides because they use a seatbelt system in alot of rides.

My friend that went with us, she is alot bigger than I, said she had no problems.

Just go and enjoy.
One thing I always say is FAT MOVES, BONES DON'T!!! :)

Disney Vault
06-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Disneyland really does a good job of allowing all sizes of people to ride the attractions. I think you will be fine on all the ones on your list.

SCUBAbe
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
I have to assume you're female, since you indicated a specific woman's size...as a female that size, the only "issue" I have is that the over-the-shoulder bars on California Screamin' are awfully snug over my bountiful...er..twins.

ummm...that is a problem when you're 30 pounds over weight also, but your "twins" are a tripple D....LOL....the other rides that are rough on the 'twins" are TOT and Indy...LOL...I'm sure the CM's laugh at me as I hold the "twins" throughout the entire ride...LOL

tlovesdis
06-28-2005, 06:15 AM
I am a bit larger than you and I have no trouble at Disneyland. At CA, I could not ride Mullholland Madness and I have never tried Maliboomer. You will perfectly fine on all rides. As others have said sometimes leg room is a little tight, but you will be fine. If you go on rides with lap bars, it's best to go alone and not with a small child as the bar will not hold them securely.

Have fun!

Drince88
06-28-2005, 04:47 PM
ummm...that is a problem when you're 30 pounds over weight also, but your "twins" are a tripple D....LOL....the other rides that are rough on the 'twins" are TOT and Indy...LOL...I'm sure the CM's laugh at me as I hold the "twins" throughout the entire ride...LOL
On this specific topic, I think Star Tours should carry a warning that you should wear a sports bra! (I keep waiting for the unofficial guide to add that information!)

When I rode Mulholland Madness with my sister (another adult, but not as tall or big as I am), they added a donut to the lap bar for her becuase of where my legs were stopping the bar compared to where her legs were. Otherwise, aside from avoiding the Orange Stinger, I never noticed anything.

QueenAlisha
06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I am a big girl myslef as is my best friend and we have never had any issues at all. well except, my girls got a slight bruise on screamin' but it was well worth it.

MMF71
06-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice!

I did not have no desire to ride the Orange Stinger so I would not even try that one!

Thanks for all the warning about Mulholland Madness. I think I will send my husband on there with my son. It will probably be a better fit for both of them.

Sounds like I won't have any trouble at DL. We have been to WDW and I did not have any trouble. The only trouble I had was going through a couple turn-styles, mainly the one going to the train station! That was a TIGHT fit, even for my almost average size mother!
I just don't want to take the walk of shame because I don't fit on a ride. Did that once & that was so embarrassing, I am always worried it will happen again.

Thanks again everyone. I am really looking forward to riding Indiana Jones ride! Glad to know that one should not be a problem.

MrsSmith
06-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Here's a tip for Indiana Jones.....

Before you sit down, grab the seat belt and pull it all the way out. THEN sit down and buckle it. Much easier and quicker since they load that ride really fast.

I do the same on Matterhorn....I grab the belts and make sure they are out of the way before I sit down. That way I don't have to try and find them in that tight space with my ample rear end in the way.

tlovesdis
06-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Here's a tip for Indiana Jones.....

Before you sit down, grab the seat belt and pull it all the way out. THEN sit down and buckle it. Much easier and quicker since they load that ride really fast.

I do the same on Matterhorn....I grab the belts and make sure they are out of the way before I sit down. That way I don't have to try and find them in that tight space with my ample rear end in the way.

I do the same thing! I also do it on Tower of Terror! Anything with a lap belt!!

Malcon10t
06-29-2005, 11:27 AM
I do the same thing! I also do it on Tower of Terror! Anything with a lap belt!!
YES! I am so glad I am not the only one! Star Tours and Soarin are others I do this on. Make it SO much easier.

disneychelle
07-07-2005, 05:14 PM
My mother had a very awkward time getting into that ride is there a trick if you're a litltle on the 'fluffy' side and you have a bum knee? Anybody have any good options we would be much obliged! :)

Doug
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
This is very interesting, I regularly go with a friend that has some weight on him, and he has some trouble on some rides, mostly leg room issues, like on Space Mtn, I even find it sight going through many turn styles, and certain places in the que for Indy, for in stance, I was thinking about getting some sort of petition going to get Disney to fix all theses tight spaces.... one place where they have CUT DOWN on space on a ride is with Splash, have you folks ridden it lately? I guess if you can not sit in the front, you can sit in the large seat in the back, but that seems like discrimination to me "Oh, you're fat, we have a nice seat in the back for you, you're not allowed in the front!" ...

I guess you all feel comfortable on the rides, I guess I was just assuming there was a problem, but I often do find it tight for myself... seems like the attractions where built for thin teenagers...

phillyorig
07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
[

My kids went and pushed me to the front on Splash and when i went to sit, I couldn't bend the knees to get them in the front. I had to put my oldest daughter there instead, I sat behind her in the front 2 seats.

For me fat wasn't an issue, it was no leg room. Hubby, who had a problem on Maliuboomer, sat int he back because he chosed to.

I go to Disney because they do alot to make sure everyone gets on the rides.(try a Six Flags Park).
When we had my mom in 96, they even stopped the HM so she could walk into the car,held up Pirates,so she could get out.

I just find, getting older, I can't do the things I did when I was 20 but I will try to change it so I'm not in a wheelchair by the time I'm 60. I don't let things stop me now, I might be a little slower, but I will still do it!! :)

jennia
07-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm about your size as well. I just thought I'd toss in that Space Mountain shouldn't be a problem either!!! :D :D We've just been on the new version and it works fine for DH and I (we're both large.)

I don't do the Zepher or the Orange Stinger. I try and avoid the Astro Orbiter Rockets in TomorrowLand as well. I can fit in just fine but the climb out of that slanted rocket at the end of the ride is murder!! We don't usually do Mullholland Madness either- it is one of the more jarring coasters, we like smooth ones!

DH is another who grabs the belts before he sits down. He has some nerve damage in both hands and it is easier for him to buckle in quickly when he isn't floundering around for the belt!!