PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Magic Kingdom--I feel SO old

Pages : [1] 2

lisap
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
My daughters and I have been trying out VMK online and I must say...I feel like a 90 year old woman trying to figure out how to navigate and get credit and play the games. It's very addicting--my youngest and I like to buy our character outfits and whatnot, but we are so clueless as to the "secrets" of the game.

Is it ethical to beg here for clues and tips on being a better player? Are 30 somethings just too old to get the concept? :rolleyes: Helllp! :confused:

charpaul
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
LOL - I think I know how you feel. I have never gotten the computer game bug really. This is ALL new to me and I find it very confusing sometimes. Hang in there - it gets less confusing as you play. Ask your kids for help - they will figure things out WAY before you do :)

PS. Any clues I get I will share with you - if you do the same - DEAL?!?!

SummerinFL
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Not quite 30 yet but I am 28 and I love playing the game. :)

Here is the thread we started on it, I made a chart with all the hidden mickeys in a spoiler if you like. ;)

Virtual Magic Kingdom (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42489)

lisap
06-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh, thank you! Shows you how much I hang out in the tech forums. :rolleyes:

SummerinFL
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Not quite 30 yet but I am 28 and I love playing the game. :)

Oh gosh how embarassing I am only 27. *laughs* Don't even know my own age....so sad. ROFL

Lani
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I should go and play. From the sounds of it it's like a DL version of World of Warcraft, which I've been horrendously addicted to in the last few months.

Lani
06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I should go and play. From the sounds of it it's like a DL version of World of Warcraft, which I've been horrendously addicted to in the last few months.
OK never mind, it's not quite at the level of WoW.

Bill Catherall
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
There isn't enough to do. Once you've found all the Mickeys all that's left is getting good at Pirates and Fireworks. Jungle Cruise isn't even fun enough to try to get really good at.

So, you have a bunch of bored people socializing. It basically becomes a very complex and highly graphical chat room (with a limited vocabulary).

SummerinFL
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
There isn't enough to do. Once you've found all the Mickeys all that's left is getting good at Pirates and Fireworks. Jungle Cruise isn't even fun enough to try to get really good at.

So, you have a bunch of bored people socializing. It basically becomes a very complex and highly graphical chat room (with a limited vocabulary).

What he said. I stopped playing because the content ends once you decorate your room and find all those Mickeys. I'm curious to see what they do with Frontierland and Tomorrowland but if they make it a pay game I won't be buying, unless they add ALOT more content. LOL

Lani
06-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Maybe their primary audience is kids.

I know with World of Warcraft, that people can put in roughly 18 days of straight play (24/7) to build a new character up to level 60 if they are pros and know exactly how to get the maximum amount of points to build a character. For most people, it's more like a 6-month process of daily play. With two continents, each with about a dozen major lands, each land consisting of one or two cities/towns and a few villages/locales, with a dozen or more quests that could easily take a few hours each. I'm always getting blown away at the complexity and thoughtfulness of the game, and I particularly appreciate it seeing it from this side of the software development industry (although I have zero experience in the gaming industry). But then, WoW currently has 2 million active subscribers and something like 500 servers running around the world for subscribers to play on, so it's at a slightly larger scale.

Alex S.
06-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes, VMK is very much along the lines of other teen oriented MMORPGs I've experienced (not that I've experienced many). But Coca Cola did one a while back that had a look very similar to VMK and was very simple. It had stuff to do, but it was intended more as a complicated chat system than as a game.

I tried VMK when it first entered beta and didn't last much more than 20 minutes before being bored. The social side of MMORPGs is the least interesting element to me, so when they're put at the center position of importance I'm not going to last long.

I don't know if it has improved since it first went into beta.

SCUBAbe
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
just wait umtil you fins all 50 mickeys and they say you only have 47 even though I clearly have them all. CM says it's a glitch...great. I now have over 5000 credits and 4 room that are furnished. there is nothing else I want to buy yet, but I'm adiccted tot he fireworks game..LOL

I always tell where the mickeys are if someone asks. My screen name there is wendy..:)

Disney Vault
06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I was like some of you and got tired of this game. But then I started making more rooms, getting all the magic pins, and playing games created by other people. And has anyone been to the comedy club? That is fun and is run by someone called MrGenie.

lilblckrncloud
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
OK never mind, it's not quite at the level of WoW.My WoW addicted husband makes such fun of me for playing VMK because it is so rinky dink. I try to impress him with my pirate costume or buried in gold magic spells, and he just rolls his eyes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I don't have nearly the patience to play a complicated game like that. With VMK I can mess around and see what people have come up with in their rooms, mix crazy songs, create traveling dance parties where we wander from land to land convincing crowds of people to dance with us for no reason, and generally just be silly but I can still carry on a real life conversation and watch tv at the same time without missing much. He can't look away during a raid with his guild or he will die. :rolleyes: I can see how it would become addicting because there is SO MUCH to it, but I would rather not be so chained to a game that I have to block out hours of my time to devote to it!

On the other hand, I feel like I am in the vortex of nerddom when we are sitting at our desks, backs to each other, giggling over stuff in our respective games. At least we spend more time "together" now! Hehe...

Disney Vault
06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
On the other hand, I feel like I am in the vortex of nerddom when we are sitting at our desks, backs to each other, giggling over stuff in our respective games. At least we spend more time "together" now! Hehe...

lol nerddom :D

lisap
06-28-2005, 05:17 PM
lilblckrncloud, I'm with you--it's just enough complicated for me. I still can't figure out half the stuff. :rolleyes: And I keep running out of film! What's the deal with that? Now I've spent all my money on film and don't have all 50 mickeys.. :| Anyone know any more secret codes to keep me solvent? :geek:

jennia
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
DS (11) and his friend were playing the other day. They were trying to find the friend a "girl friend". I'm not exactly sure what a cyber girl friend does but the entire thing made me feel old and a bit out of touch. :p I guess I must not be too out of touch since DS got in on this game as a Beta Tester (thanks to Mouse Pad info) but so far I've left all the playing to my son.

Disney Vault
06-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Here are some codes to help you out. You will be able to get as mush film as you want. :D Each of these will give you 500 credits.

WBRK-LBAG-KQNL-B9N9

QNEL-NTBW-KLDU-GB2C

lisap
06-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. Today we tried to log a few times in but the system had crashed. Lots of people joining, methinks.

Lani
06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
On the other hand, I feel like I am in the vortex of nerddom when we are sitting at our desks, backs to each other, giggling over stuff in our respective games. At least we spend more time "together" now! Hehe...Tee hee -- sounds great!

Do you guys have a wireless router and laptops? I put my laptop on a breakfast table tray and sit up in bed, with the TV remote on the tray. You guys can both do that, and all you'd need is a dorm fridge for a nightstand. LOL.

lilblckrncloud
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Do you guys have a wireless router and laptops? I put my laptop on a breakfast table tray and sit up in bed, with the TV remote on the tray. You guys can both do that, and all you'd need is a dorm fridge for a nightstand. LOL.He actually DOES have a wireless router on his work laptop but has been having trouble getting a connection on it or something (I don't quite understand all that stuff). I would definitely use that once he gets it working! He prefers to be at his command center - two monitors, three machines (one monitor died so he is trying to find a good replacement). Sometimes he has his laptop on a tv tray next to the big desk and that's when I can't even stay in the room because it all seems too insane.

My needs are FAR more simple! I am not as advanced in my nerddom. I am still in training. ;)

GeminiAngel
07-03-2005, 12:56 PM
You'll find me there as Nova. :fez:

Hakuna Makarla
07-03-2005, 01:09 PM
went and looked and will never go back. looks like dungeons and drangons or was I at the wrong place? I do not like vertual games, I will stick with donkey kong racing. :)

Crazy4DL
07-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh gosh how embarassing I am only 27. *laughs* Don't even know my own age....so sad. ROFL

LOL!!!! too funny! I thought that only happened after 40 :p ;)

mickeysaver
07-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I love VMK, but it can be a bit challenging at first. Give yourself some time. Just read the FAQ and remember to have fun with it. Maggie