PDA

View Full Version : Military Discount?

Pages : [1] 2

kimc0486
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I was wondering if there are discounted tickets to the park for people with military ID? Not necessarily at DL, but maybe ahead of time from one of the bases? I was reading Pam's trip report from October 2004 and noticed that she boughta 5-day for $100 from a naval base, sooo I just thought i'd see if anyone knew anything! Thanks.

Malcon10t
06-27-2005, 08:32 AM
I was wondering if there are discounted tickets to the park for people with military ID? Not necessarily at DL, but maybe ahead of time from one of the bases? I was reading Pam's trip report from October 2004 and noticed that she boughta 5-day for $100 from a naval base, sooo I just thought i'd see if anyone knew anything! Thanks.
There usually is, check with your base MWR.

bradk
06-27-2005, 08:48 AM
also be forewarned, not that it's a HUGE deal (unless you're only going for a few days), but it looks like military discounted tickets are not of the hopper bonus variety which means it may not include early entry. for 5 days, it's not such a big deal (although if I had EE, I'd use it, no matter how many days I was at the parks).

Malcon10t
06-27-2005, 09:06 AM
also be forewarned, not that it's a HUGE deal (unless you're only going for a few days), but it looks like military discounted tickets are not of the hopper bonus variety which means it may not include early entry. for 5 days, it's not such a big deal (although if I had EE, I'd use it, no matter how many days I was at the parks).
If I am not mistaken, on a 5 day park hopper, its a $40 savings per ticket. (I think military can get it on base for $129.) The 3 day I believe is $109. It is some decent savings. (At least to me.)

bradk
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
just to be clear, i'm referring to the loss of EE if that's in fact true. if you only have 3 days in the parks, EE is worth paying more money for i'd think.

MouseWife
06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Very worth going to check out any savings/deals.

One plus to buying the tickets on base~you don't have to wait in line at Disneyland!

If you save anything, that is great.

Also, I remember something, way back, that people who were doing ship duty {okay, so I don't know the 'lingo'} got either free or really reduced tickets? To a lot of things around town {San Diego, very military town}.

And, also check for any hotel discounts. I remember seeing that you could purchase a voucher to hotels, close to Knott's, Disneyland, Universal Studios.

If any of that is old news, sorry. I haven't used MWR in a few years.

Best of luck!

Mrs. Newseditor44
06-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Other theme parks offer great discounts to those in the military. I'm curious as to when you are going or thinking about going. Around the time of Veteran's Day, Knott's Berry Farm usually offers free admission+1 to military personnel and discounted tickets for the rest of the party. This also goes for police and fire personnel. SFMM usually offers discounts year round anyway and San Diego being a military, I'm sure the parks offer many discounts.

As for hotels, with your military ID you could receive discounts on hotels. Many of the large hotel chains offer great discounts for those in uniform. The rates vary however, depending on what hotel you choose and where it is. The rates could also be found online but when you check in, you need to show your ID.

kohl
06-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Sometimes the DL hotels offer discounts for Military. It never hurts to ask! :D

kimc0486
06-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the info!! We're going September 12-19, most likely 4 days in the parks. I'll check into info from the base when I go next weekend.

losaitkens
06-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, MWR prices can vary per location. My husband used to be in the national guard and our AZ MWR office cost a few bucks more than the MWR office in San Diego for Disneyland park hoppers. Whenever it was convient, we would wait til we got to SoCal b4 getting them. Military park hopper prices also tend to be cheaper during off season, or at least they were back in 2003. LOTS of hotels offer military discounts, though once again, it is usually easier to get these discounts during off season. We stayed at DH in Oct 03 for $128 a night using the military rate and we have also stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd. using a military discount. Much like AP nights, these rates aren't usually released until a month or two before but you can always reserve and then change it if a military rate becomes available.

CptJackSparrow
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
We are going in the fall and I have already bought my tickets through the armory. Adult 5 day are $120 and children are $105. With 2 adults and 3 kids, that saves quite a bit of money on admission compared to the $169 for adults you can get through DL's website. If you are able, I would definitely use the military pass--just don't lose them because what you buy is your actual ticket to use at the gates.

kimc0486
06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
We are going in the fall and I have already bought my tickets through the armory. Adult 5 day are $120 and children are $105. With 2 adults and 3 kids, that saves quite a bit of money on admission compared to the $169 for adults you can get through DL's website. If you are able, I would definitely use the military pass--just don't lose them because what you buy is your actual ticket to use at the gates.

TO CPTJACKSPARROW:
Are your tickets park hoppers? Do they have 4 days do know? And i've heard that through the military there is no Early Entry, is that true? Thanks.

This is probablly a stupid question...but I am new to the military, where on base do you buy the tickets? Is there any place online? Is it only one ticket per ID, it is my boyfriend who has the ID, we are going together, but can he only buy one? If we bought them at different times could we buy more then one? Thanks SOO Much!!

kimc0486
06-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know if when booking through expedia, a military discount can be utilized? I am using a save $75 coupon that is going on right now if travel is booked before 7/15 and done before 12/31. Can I combine you think? Thanks!

Malcon10t
06-27-2005, 01:36 PM
TO CPTJACKSPARROW:
Are your tickets park hoppers? Do they have 4 days do know? And i've heard that through the military there is no Early Entry, is that true? Thanks.

This is probablly a stupid question...but I am new to the military, where on base do you buy the tickets? Is there any place online? Is it only one ticket per ID, it is my boyfriend who has the ID, we are going together, but can he only buy one? If we bought them at different times could we buy more then one? Thanks SOO Much!!
Not CPT JACK, but yes, they are park hoppers. And usually, the military person can get them for themselves and family.

Barbossa
06-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Also, I remember something, way back, that people who were doing ship duty {okay, so I don't know the 'lingo'} got either free or really reduced tickets? To a lot of things around town {San Diego, very military town}.

This is true. I was a navy brat growing up in San Diego (60's and 70's). Disney was very generous to military personnel and their familes. We used to get ticket books for $1.00. These weren't your ordinary ticket books that had 2 "E" tickets and 35 "A" tickets. These books had your admission ticket + 10 "universal" (good for any ride) ride tickets.

Why isn't Disney this generous now, especially with the sacrifices our Armed Forces folks are making over in Iraq? :|

Mrs. Newseditor44
06-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know if when booking through expedia, a military discount can be utilized? I am using a save $75 coupon that is going on right now if travel is booked before 7/15 and done before 12/31. Can I combine you think? Thanks!

Unfortunately no. Whatever discounts offered by hotels are offered by them only. Unless Expedia offers military discounts themselves but highly unlikely.

Klutch
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
This is true. I was a navy brat growing up in San Diego (60's and 70's). Disney was very generous to military personnel and their familes. We used to get ticket books for $1.00. These weren't your ordinary ticket books that had 2 "E" tickets and 35 "A" tickets. These books had your admission ticket + 10 "universal" (good for any ride) ride tickets.

Why isn't Disney this generous now, especially with the sacrifices our Armed Forces folks are making over in Iraq? :|

Actually, I'm not sure it was Disney who was being so generous. I used to be assigned to the Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) department aboard the carrier Theodore Roosevelt while the ship was in the yards (under repair). Here's how it works...

Military commands receive "non-appropriated" funds for promoting the morale and welfare of their personnel. "Non-appropriated" means the money is not part of the Defense budget (taxes). The money comes from profits gained at military Commissaries and Exchanges (retail stores on base). Thus, the money comes from military folks shopping at these facilities.

The people who work for MWR often take their non-appropriated funds and buy tickets for local shows and theme parks. The MWR may or may not get a small discount. If they do, it's for the bulk purchase of the tickets and has nothing to do with being military. They then sell the tickets at a loss for military personnel and their families. The prices are determined by the local MWR. Thus, as mentioned, prices can vary. For example, aboard Theodore Roosevelt, we sold tickets for Busch Gardens Williamsburg for half price. (Yes, they were quite popular.)

Although discounted tickets at MWR facilities are for military personnel and their families, "families" is typically defined loosely. If a single military guy buys two Disney tickets, one for himself and one for his girlfriend, nobody will question it. If he buys four to include his parents, it would likely still not be a problem. If he wants to buy 15 in order for his non-military neighbors to get a discount, that's a problem (although, it does happen).

Occasionally, theme parks will offer discounts, or even free admission, for military or firefighters. This has nothing to do with MWR. It's strictly the decision of the the park management who get good PR and sell a lot more food, drinks, and souveniers; definitely a win-win situation.

Outside of MWR, typically, military discounts for retail purchases and services are minimal. Sometimes they're not worth the trouble. For example, anyone can get a great discount for airfare by booking more than two weeks in advance. The military discount is a few percentage points off the full fare which ends up being much more than the regular discount. The same is usually, but not always, true at hotels. The military discount is a small percentage off the full rack rate and not worth using.

Military personnel who wish to take advantage of discount theme park tickets should visit the MWR office at their local command or base. Offerings vary, but they are invariably a good deal. :)

kimc0486
06-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks so much! Another probablly dumb question, what is MWR?

Sidenote: EE for military tickets?? Thanks!!

Klutch
06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Morale, Welfare and Recreation = MWR.

kc10family
06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Kimc0486,
Klutch gave GREAT information. The next time you are at work, (use the military computer) get phone numbers for the military installations in S Cal (Moral, Welfare and Recreation) also called Outdoor Recreation, and call them. Just a few minutes of your time can find you a better deal sometimes. Most MWR sections are open one day on the weekends, so if you are a reservist, you should be able to contact them on a Sat.
Also try www.afvc.com (armed forces vacation club) for hotels. Again…not all deals are better than what you can find/get if you spend a little time on the internet.
If you have AAA (we do for road side assistants only ($80.00 per yr for 2 adults) try them. Costco and Sam’s Club have had tickets in the past (haven’t seen them this year) I do however now Costco has travel deals (hotel discounts).
If you are a member of any organization, look into it and see if you can get a discount.
As those before me said…. It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no.
Good luck with your search and have a great time in the park!!!

PrincessMomma
06-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Is it possible to get annual passes with a military disccount? I was told there are no discounts on annual passes, but my brother-in-law claims he could have gotten a military discount...

kohl
06-27-2005, 06:08 PM
You do not get early entry with the military discounts.
Make sure to price ARES Travel for tickets. They had a great deal on Park Hoppers when we went last April. It was a better deal than military tickets.

bradk
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
ARES is usually about $5 less than disneyland.com (and they make up for with an initial service charge on the first ticket).

it's possible that the good deal you got back in april was part of that promotion where they were offering adult tickets at child prices. there will probably always be some promotional thing going on outside of peak season, but you have to go off-peak and wait and see for that sort of thing.

CptJackSparrow
06-28-2005, 06:26 AM
I am sorry not to have answered this earlier and I think it has been pretty well covered but here it is anyway. No EE with these, but they are park hopper tickets and are the cheapest tickets I have ever seen for admission. Anyone that has military ID can get as many tickets as they want. I have gotten them for my extended family before and no one at the armory cares at all. The best deal is the 4 or 5 day pass because they only add $10 per day for the 4th and 5th days compared to the cost of the 3 day pass. It is not worth $50 per ticket for early entry since we always go in the fall when crowds are light anyway.

Disneyfamily3
06-28-2005, 06:32 AM
yes it is possible to get some of the annual passes through the MWR.It is around a $10 savings.
We just bought some 5 day park hoppers from MWR in San Diego(Miramar) the beginning of June and the price was $125 for adult tickets.
As for hotel discounts it pays to take some time and look around most times you get a better deal on Expedia and such websites vs.military discount.