PDA

View Full Version : Your First Time

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
02-04-2002, 09:05 PM
I'd like to hear stories from my fellow MousePlaneteers about their very first time to Disneyland as a child. I got this idea from reading LostBoy's post about the first time he went... it sounded magical.

What year was it? What do you remember? Tell us all.

:)

BTW....
http://www.ineedavacation.com/disneyland/graphics/believe_fireworks.jpg
POST 1000!!!!

Quick, somebody, release some pigeons...
:D
:cool: DisneyLad Loves MousePlanet/MousePad. Thank You for everything.

zapppop
02-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Sadly, I don't remember my first visit to Disneyland. My parents took me and my sister several times a year since I was less than a year old. My older memories of the park are sort of a blur but the oldest one I still sorta remember was when Fantasyland was remodeled which was in 83 or 84 ( I think ) so I was about 4 or 5. I was already very attached to Disneyland and felt like it was the most magical place on Earth ( that changed October 15, 1996 )

MammaSilva
02-04-2002, 09:23 PM
my oldest memories....as a very small child with my paternal bio grandparents who lived in OC....we would sit in their backyard and watch the fireworks, and my grandparents would take me and my aunt who is only a few years older to the park... I remember riding the old stagecoach, the Indian storytellers funny I don't really remember a lot of "rides" as much as just the warm memory of a very small child that was loved and in a magical place...

BELLEH5
02-04-2002, 09:31 PM
The only remember a few things from my first trip in the late 80's.

===the Main St. Electrical Parade
===Mark Twain
=== the Tea Cups
=== and the best attraction ever "It's a Small World"

I was only about 7 or 8 and I didn't visit DL for about 11 years later. I will always love for Walt Disney's Greatest Masterpiece!

disneynut
02-04-2002, 09:49 PM
I remember getting there early and waiting for the rope to drop so that we could get into the park. My parents always bought us one of those brownies from the coke corner for breakfast. (hey, we were on vacation and there are eggs in brownies) :D Being a parent now myself I have to admire my parents for being able to get us all up and out of the hotel that early in the morning. I also remember staying really late after the rides had closed and shopping in the emporium. This was back when dl was open until 12 or 1 a.m. My dad would always carry me on his shoulders out of the park. Our favorite place to eat was that pirate ship in fantasyland that had the best meatball sandwiches. We went to dl so many times when I was really young I don't really remember the first time. DL was great going to as a child but it's even better taking your own children and passing on your love for the park...seeing the magic through their eyes.

cemeinke
02-04-2002, 09:52 PM
I was 2 or 3 (years not decades) on my first Disneyland trip. I have a vague recollection of going on the mine train and being fascinated by all the colors of the tunnels. The next thing I know I'm home in bed and it's night time.

Every time I see some kid crashed in a stroller being wheeled out of the park I think, that was me in '65. :)

stan4d_steph
02-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I don't know if I should post mine, since it's not the happiest memory! The first time I visited DL I was already in high school, I think it was about 1988 or 1989. The thing I remember most is that we went to New Orleans Square and ate. I had some sort of sub sandwich that had Italian dressing on it. I proceeded to get the worst migraine ever. Bad trip in the Tiki holding area! Freaked my Mom out. I finally made it back to the hotel room where I promptly became reaquainted with the sandwich. :(

Luckily, I took a nap and we were able to salvage the day. I went back that night and stayed until closing. I always think of my poor Mom who was totally freaking out trying to get the hotel shuttle to come get me. It was my first migraine. Isn't that special? Luckily I grew out of that!

bluepearl
02-04-2002, 10:20 PM
I'm with zappop on this one - I think my first trip to Disneyland happened when I was 1. According to my mom, at least. I have a picture with Mickey Mouse, and I'm crying. :lol: I'm going to have to ask my mom to let me borrow that picture.

Gemini Cricket
02-04-2002, 10:24 PM
My story-

June 21st, 1981
It was our family's 1st and only vacation together. It was my first time: on a plane, being away from Hawaii and going to a restaurant to eat. I was a loner when I was 10. I hardly had any friends, I was a latch-key kid and slept with a nightlight. I never felt like I belonged anywhere.
When we passed through those gates, I knew I finally belonged somewhere. The CMs were the nicest people I had ever met. They treated me like an adult. They actually listened to what I had to say. I went on and on to a CM about the Haunted Mansion and how it was all done. He said I was an expert, but I failed to tell him how scared I was of the ride initially and that I had my eyes closed for a lot of it. That day was sheer magic. We rode everything. I thought the park closed at night fall and became really sad. Much to my surprise, the Main Street Electrical Light Parade arrived as we sat at the hub. It was the first time I wasn't afraid to be in the dark. The music still makes me feel strong.
What I felt after we left can only be compared to losing a close friend or family member and feeling you were never going to see them again. But when I was told that each of us got 2 passports, I knew we'd be coming back the next day. The fun continued the next day...

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-04-2002, 10:34 PM
As my parents have taken me every year since I was 2 years old... I too don't remember that first experience.

I do remember parts of America Sings "Pop goes the weasel" comes to mind.. and I remember something about Mission to Mars and looking down as we left Disneyland USA.

Oh yeah!!!! And the old Country Bear Jamboree with Big Al singing Blood on the Saddle.

Mouse
02-04-2002, 10:40 PM
I don't remember my first trip to Disneyland. Or perhaps I do, it just isn't labeled the first trip in my memory...just as one of the trips I took in early childhood.

Something I remember in particular is the Pirates of the Caribbean. I used to think the animatronics were real people..and POTC is where they lived. I used to wonder how they got that old man to sit there all day and be afraid that the drinking skeletons would notice me. I also though "If this ride broke down in front of the gold (which was real) and I could just grab a handful I would be so rich!" I just totally remember the ride was 100% real for me...from the starving cats to the fire.

Now when I ride POTC it always brings back those silly memories of when I used to huddle by my dad to protect me from the cannon balls.

No Grape Koolaid
02-04-2002, 10:49 PM
-Can't remember what year my first visit was as my family used to go every single year (Heck, my mom even has color pictures from their trips in the 50's) but, my only memory was being 4 or 5 years old, taking a picture with Pooh..... And then Pooh tried to eat me! Stuck my head in his mouth. Guess Pooh just thought I was sweet as honey. ;)

tjrj
02-05-2002, 05:53 AM
Not sure if it was the "very first visit" but it was an early one. I was 3. Rode POTC and the boat got stuck during the gun battle. I absolutely, totally freaked out. Screaming, crying-the whole bit. I wouldn't go back on that ride until I was like 12. On a happier note-I have wonderful early memories of watching my folks swing the night away at the Plaza Gardens.

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
Oh yeah!!!! And the old Country Bear Jamboree with Big Al singing Blood on the Saddle.

I don't recall my first trip to dland. Oddly enough though, my Mom and I were just talking about old dland memories yesterday.

She was so sad when CBJ left - and was telling me all about Big Al singing that song...actually she sang the first few lines to me in her "big al" voice imitation. ha ha.

She also noted how she and her friend would have tuna sandwiches (with chips on them?) on the pirate ship when they'd go. This would have been in the 60's.

It was neat to get her point of view of dland from then.

CBJ was one we had to go on everytime we went to dland though. I remember that and America Sings. Never did get to go on the Sub's though - Mom was afraid.

Main Street Magic
02-05-2002, 06:41 AM
well, let me dust off the memories . It was 1956 or 1957 when I first went to DL. I was 6 or 7 at the time. I don't remember much (I've slept since then)...but I do remember dropping the camera I had (it was a little Brownie) while going into frontierland and cracked it and ruined the film. I also remember meeting the sheriff in frontierland, and riding the pack mules.

mousey_girl
02-05-2002, 07:57 AM
We used to go every year during PacBell night. They still used tickets, but on that night you didnt need one. I can't remember my first trip, my earliest memory centers around Autopia.

There used to be some sort of a drink stand next to a hedge on one corner of the ride. I was excited cause it was the first time I could ride alone (I was tall for my age as a kid, then stopped growing up and just gew out :crying: ). All I can remember is coming around that corner, seeing the corner of a white building with red trim and my dad jumping out of the hedge and scaring the crap out of me. To this day any time I ride Autopia I hold my breath waiting for someone to jump from behind a bush. (as a teenager, I remember the live knight doing the same thing in the HM) Even though I know there won't be anyone in either attraction, I still prepare for it.

And if I had a chance I would do the same thing to The Boy...I know baaaaaaaaaaaaad mommy...

pboeoahr
02-05-2002, 08:49 AM
I guess that depends on what you count as a first time. My mom was carrying me the first time I went to disneyland. And when I say carrying me I mean prior to birth.

The first memory I have of visiting the park is when I was about 5 years old. I remember the motor boats, the old mine train, and the skyway.

We used to go almost every month when we lived down there. Since moving to the Northwest I have only been back 3 times over the past 20 years. :(

socabch
02-05-2002, 08:56 AM
It's a little fuzzy but I remember bits & pieces. I was 4 yrs old in 1958. We just came back from Holland (my dad was in the AF). We went to visit my Grandma & great Grandma in LA. The rides I remember where Cup & Saucer because my mom got sick. She was pregnant with my brother and didn't know it yet. I kind of remember the Mine Train. But most of all I do remember my dad pointing out Walt Disney as he walked by and telling me how he created Disneyland. I wish I could have met him but my mom wasn't feeling too good.

WOW!!! Makes you start remembering more & more. I thought I was too old to remember this much. Hee Hee :D

mad4mky
02-05-2002, 09:09 AM
It must have been 1963 or 1964. I was about 5. Our family went, and brought my aunt...she is a few months younger than my sister.

I remember mostly, getting a HUGE blister on the heel of my foot, and going to the first aid station where the nicest lady (in a nurse's uniform) fixed it up with medicine and a big band-aid.
I remember the big Indian Circle and the dance...I remember holding onto the Indians hands and getting to dance with them in the circle. (my husbands family has a home movie of him doing that).
I remember the fireworks, and Tinkerbell coming down. And, I remember that my mom and dad bought us all "Peter Pan" hats with long, feathers in it.
I remember the Mission to the Moon...I thought it was stupid when I was little.
I remember the Columbia...and eating on the Pirate Ship that used to be in Fantasyland (chicken of the sea).
I don't remember the mine train...but I do remember riding on the mules.

I remember since I was that little always wanting a Mickey Mouse head balloon. The one with the Mickey head balloon inside a clear balloon. My parents wouldn't let me get one. The worst thing I did was to tell my kids that. They tease me about it everytime we see those balloons. When we were there in December, my kids were going to buy me one and surprise me. When I heard them talking, I told them to save their money!

Memories are great! I love to talk about DL when I was a little girl and when we went for the first time. My kids are tired of the stories.

redrhino
02-05-2002, 10:14 AM
The first time I went to Disneyland was about 1969 and I was 3 years old. One
of the characters - which of the three pigs I'll never know - scared me so that
I cried. My parents, of course, laughed and took a photo. I don't remember
much else other than I was the kid selected to go onstage during the Golden
Horseshoe Review and I got several big laughs from the crowd ... why, I'll
never know.

The second time I went to Disneyland I was a bit older. We were driving
back to Santa Barbara from visiting some relatives in San Diego and I was
just lounging in the back seat of the car reading a comic book (long before
seatbelts were required). I looked up because we were in stop-n-go traffic
all of a sudden. We were at the Disneyland entrance! Great fun.

This was such a good experience that my wife and I decided to keep the news
of our first Disneyland trip from our then 5 year old. We told her we were going
on a "mystery trip". She was sort of excited when we pulled into the Chip-n-Dale
parking lot and saw some of the Disney things. When we were on the tram she
thought she was at the destination and she thought it was very cool. She had
no idea what fun would await once we went thru the turnstiles...

redrhino

MickeyD
02-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad
My story-

June 21st, 1981
It was our family's 1st and only vacation together. It was my first time: on a plane, being away from Hawaii and going to a restaurant to eat. I was a loner when I was 10. I hardly had any friends, I was a latch-key kid and slept with a nightlight. I never felt like I belonged anywhere.
When we passed through those gates, I knew I finally belonged somewhere. The CMs were the nicest people I had ever met. They treated me like an adult. They actually listened to what I had to say. I went on and on to a CM about the Haunted Mansion and how it was all done. He said I was an expert, but I failed to tell him how scared I was of the ride initially and that I had my eyes closed for a lot of it. That day was sheer magic. We rode everything. I thought the park closed at night fall and became really sad. Much to my surprise, the Main Street Electrical Light Parade arrived as we sat at the hub. It was the first time I wasn't afraid to be in the dark. The music still makes me feel strong.
What I felt after we left can only be compared to losing a close friend or family member and feeling you were never going to see them again. But when I was told that each of us got 2 passports, I knew we'd be coming back the next day. The fun continued the next day...

That's an awesome story DisneyLad. Me, I fall into the too young to remember anything category. Come to think of it, last week is sorta fuzzy, that's the sort of memory I have. I do remember growing up, until I was in junior high or so that I always had this perception (R.I.P. Spellcheck) that Disneyland was SOO far away from Santa Barbara so we could only go once every few years, and a day trip was out of the question. (I'm sure my parents encouraged that perception.)

stinkerbell
02-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Ugh, I also don't remember my first trip to DL. (1974) I was a year and a half old. I do have vague memories from the first few years' worth of trips--mostly that vague sense of happiness, the thought that a princess or Pooh or Mickey might be around the corner, the thrill of the Skyway and standing next to my dad while he held onto me and peeking out through the rails as we flew through (or past) the Matterhorn, the first glimpse of the Castle, and being very afraid for the hunters climbing the pole of the Jungle Cruise. I know I thought that the hippo was real and was gonna get me. I have more concrete memories from when I was five and older--mostly of the HM and POC, and later (when I was six and seven) Space Mountain and BTMRR became really special to me, as my mom waited with my little sister and my dad spent hours in line with me. We rode again and again and again. Just two years ago, my dad told me how much he hates roller coasters and always has.....yet he took us to DL, Knotts, and all Busch Gardens/Six Flags theme parks so often and rode every single coaster with me without a single word!!! If you knew my dad, you'd realize what a major sacrifice this was on his part.......:) I think this is part of why Disneyland is so special to me. Might have been the first/last place my dad and I ever bonded!

(not as touching as Disneylad's story......thanks for this thread BTW and congrats on becoming a loser!!!)

Gemini Cricket
02-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
I think this is part of why Disneyland is so special to me. Might have been the first/last place my dad and I ever bonded!

Me too! It was the first time I ever saw my mom laugh so hard that she had tears in her eyes. On Big Thunder Mountain, she was convinced she was going to fall off the train. She clutched the lap bar and kept screaming, "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, I'm going to fall off." Then she'd say, totally straight faced, "Those aren't real coyotes." Then she'd start screaming again. "Oh my goodness..."

Originally posted by stinkerbell
(not as touching as Disneylad's story......thanks for this thread BTW and congrats on becoming a loser!!!)

I blush. Anything for my fearless World Domination leader! I'm a proud newbie loser...

RideMax Mark
02-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Since I didn't grow up in CA and my family couldn't afford the trip, I didn't go to DL until I was in High School, when my school's band played at a music educator's convention at the Anaheim Convention Center.

I still remember being totally blown away by all of the attention to detail -- how magical Peter Pan was, and thinking I was really outside during parts of POTC, the illusion was so good! I grew up next to a sort of "carnival-like" amusement park, and I was simply flabbergasted by the comparison!

I only went to the park a few times (2 or 3?) until I got married, but since my wife is a total DL fan, we've been a LOT since then!

Mark
Spend less time in line with RideMax for Disneyland! (http://www.ridemax.com)

DisneyFiend
02-05-2002, 08:06 PM
I, like most of you, can't exactly recall my first trip to DL. I imagine I was 4 or 5 when I first went. From then on, my family went once a year until I was in high school. We lived in northern california, so it was relatively easy to get down there. I'm 23 now. My fondest memory is going on Peter Pan's Adventure ride. I remember really feeling like I was there...flying over Neverland, over the city. As I got older, I started noticing the "non-magical" things about the ride. I noticed the celing, the track that the ride is supported from, etc. It's still magical, but more because I can still remember that magical feeling I can recall from riding it as a child.

Anyone else have examples of how the experience of a ride changed over time?