PDA

View Full Version : POTC Refurb - Bad News/Good News/Better News

Pages : [1] 2

Monte Cristo
06-25-2005, 03:31 PM
According to the latest Miceage update -
http://miceage.com/allutz/al062305a.htm

Bad News: The refurb will now last four months.

Good News: It's been pushed back till after the new year.

Better News: When it's done, apparently it's going to be a far more extensive refurb than originally planned - new animatronics will be included.

If this pans out, congrats to TDA for making the wise choice in terms of scheduling. I never understood the thinking behind closing the ride down during a decent chunk of the holiday season.

phoenixfire2k5
06-25-2005, 03:34 PM
According to the latest Miceage update -
http://miceage.com/allutz/al062305a.htm

Bad News: The refurb will now last four months.

Good News: It's been pushed back till after the new year.

Better News: When it's done, apparently it's going to be a far more extensive refurb than originally planned - new animatronics will be included.

If this pans out, congrats to TDA for making the wise choice in terms of scheduling. I never understood the thinking behind closing the ride down during a decent chunk of the holiday season.

Push it back even farther. Till September 2006. After the 50th celebration is over and done with. As long as it can run with serious breakdowns or endangering malfunctions.

sleepyjeff
06-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Push it back even farther. Till September 2006. After the 50th celebration is over and done with. As long as it can run with serious breakdowns or endangering malfunctions.

Yes, why do today what can be put off til tomorrow.....serious breakdowns and dangerous malfuntions are ok, they just kinda add a sense of danger to the attraction ;)

Monte Cristo
06-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Define "dangerous malfunction" on POTC? One of the boats capsizing...into three feet of water?

IndySpacePirate
06-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Define "dangerous malfunction" on POTC? One of the boats capsizing...into three feet of water?

Yes, this would be rather dangerous. Especially since one may get hit by one of the cannonballs whilest wading through the water in the battle room. And the pirates may see this unfortunate event as an opportunity to attack the disoriented and panicked guests and oversea tourists.

Leash81
06-25-2005, 04:46 PM

In and of itself no, but capsizing into three feet of THAT water... ewww. :p

Monte Cristo
06-25-2005, 05:53 PM

Okay, I can't argue with that. When my fiancee and I were there back in February, we rode in the front of the boat. When we got to the bottom of the first flume, a drop or two of water went into my mouth. I wanted to boil my throat.

Wendi
06-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, things keep looking better and better for my Oct/Nov trip!!!

rentayenta
06-25-2005, 06:21 PM
This news makes me a happy yenta.

charpaul
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM
From what I have heard from CM friends is that this refurbishment of PoC will be a part of the 2nd phase of the 50th Celebration! The opening of Monsters Inc. - the addition of the randomizer on ToT - and the start of "RockIt" Mtn. - will also be a part of it. They are all designed to add excitement to the last part of the celebration. And to keep the crowds coming in and finding something new to experience.

uvsc_wolverine
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM

Remember Jurassic Park? Ian Malcolm's line: "When Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down the Pirates don't eat the tourists."

Maybe that could be considered a "dangerous malfunction..." :D

I just had a mental image of people running screaming out of the ride being chased by pirates - it's actually quite funny, especially the woman being chased by the pirate that hangs out with the pigs (of course all of the women being chased are carrying trays of food taken from the Blue Bayou :D ).

Shortiemetoo
06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
LOL this made me smile...thanks!! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
06-25-2005, 08:23 PM

I SO agree with this! Why do a refurb in the middle of the 50th celebration? Makes no sense to me. This is when park attendance could hit an all time high. Scratches head. :confused:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Oh this is wonderful news. I REALLY did not want to have to reschedule my trip this fall.

SoCalDude
06-25-2005, 10:24 PM

LOL - I think about that each time we go down the drops!

I really want to take some sort of bottle on the ride and fill it up during the trip - just so I can see how "clean" the water is. I read somewhere somebody did that and the water was nastyyyyy....

uvsc_wolverine
06-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm with you, Lori. My next trip is planned for the middle of October, but rescheduling isn't an option for me. I was just looking at the possibility of going to DL - for the first time EVER - without being able to ride PotC.

Disney Village
06-25-2005, 10:40 PM
I SO agree with this! Why do a refurb in the middle of the 50th celebration? Makes no sense to me. This is when park attendance could hit an all time high. Scratches head. :confused:

Its been reported that DL wants the new and improved POTC open as part of the second half of the 50th celebration next summer. If they wait until its over then its one less attraction they can promote as part of the overall 50th celebration (they'll have the subs to promote after the 50th is over).

Even during the "50th", Jan-Apr is fairly slow (Easter being the exception of course). The closure will cause minimal disruption in the parks overall operating tempo.

By the way, what are people’s thoughts on the refurb itself? I’m surprised I haven't seen a thread on this topic. Who thinks it’s a good idea to change and update a classic and who would like to keep it the way it is??

SCUBAbe
06-25-2005, 10:58 PM
By the way, what are people’s thoughts on the refurb itself? I’m surprised I haven't seen a thread on this topic. Who thinks it’s a good idea to change and update a classic and who would like to keep it the way it is??

they should change and update more of the rides there. Nothing should ever stay the same.

Vegitabeta
06-26-2005, 04:29 AM
LOL - I think about that each time we go down the drops!

I really want to take some sort of bottle on the ride and fill it up during the trip - just so I can see how "clean" the water is. I read somewhere somebody did that and the water was nastyyyyy....

I can imagine it is, although it serves it's purpose. I mean, you're not meant to drink it or anything!

disneyland addict13
06-26-2005, 07:02 AM
I just have a quick question about Disneyland in fall/winter of 2005 in general. When will ALL of the major decorations and ride overlays be completely done for the season? We are thinking about going sometime in October and I was just wondering if that was too early. We are open to ANY time this fall/winter and just wanted to go when Disneyland was completely decorated for Christmas. Thanks!

Monte Cristo
06-26-2005, 08:13 AM
I just have a quick question about Disneyland in fall/winter of 2005 in general. When will ALL of the major decorations and ride overlays be completely done for the season? We are thinking about going sometime in October and I was just wondering if that was too early. We are open to ANY time this fall/winter and just wanted to go when Disneyland was completely decorated for Christmas. Thanks!

Disneyland gets dressed up for Christmas the week of November 5th. The only holiday element not running until late November is the hoilday parade.

disnymom
06-26-2005, 08:54 AM
so do you know when it will be down? we are thinking of going in feb. i could handle some dangerous malfuntions, i'm pretty brave.

disney_leonard
06-26-2005, 09:59 AM
If you read the Miceage update, it explains that the main reason for changing the refurb schedule and extent of refurb is to coincide with the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (part two of the three part movie franchise) which is scheduled for US release on July 7, 2006. I predict a four month refurb with another premier party prior to July. Rumors still circulate of a Johnny Depp figure to be added.

Disneynerd
06-26-2005, 10:59 AM
If you read the Miceage update, it explains that the main reason for changing the refurb schedule and extent of refurb is to coincide with the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (part two of the three part movie franchise) which is scheduled for US release on July 7, 2006. I predict a four month refurb with another premier party prior to July. Rumors still circulate of a Johnny Depp figure to be added.Nooooo, I don't want Johnny Depp on POTC! It would spoil the authenticity. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Johnny Depp, I find him very appealing (yummy), but not on Pirates! Am I alone here?

SCUBAbe
06-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Nooooo, I don't want Johnny Depp on POTC! It would spoil the authenticity. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Johnny Depp, I find him very appealing (yummy), but not on Pirates! Am I alone here?

my daughter would love that. Everytime we pass the jail scene she says johnny depp should be in there. I don't care either way..change is good.:)