PDA

View Full Version : July 17 - should we or shouldn't we?

BigAlH
06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi all. Looking for some suggestions/advice.

We will driving the ole apartment on wheels down to SoCal and will be there from July 15/16 - July 23. We have 5-day "Passport Plus" packages from AAA. My original plan was to go to the park on the 17th just to be part of the "magic" of the actual birthday. Since we have 5-day passes we figured it would OK if we didn't get to ride many rides etc. We were there 3 years ago on July 17 and it was fun, but nothing like what I'm sure this year will be. We normally get to the park around 12:00 and stay until after it closes (either 11 or midnight - depending on the time of year/schedule). We try to go to DLR every couple of years, and typically spend 4-5 days.

This year we have a slightly different wrinkle in that my 11 year old son just broke a growth plate in his foot, so he'll be in a wheelchair most of the time.

If we do go on the 17th we'll obviously get their early... but the question is should we go that day? It will be a bit nuts trying to push a wheelchair around with all those people, but then again it IS the actual birthday. Basically I think it'll be an "experience" and somewhat fun, while my wife is a bit concerned about the crowds.

Is there some good "off the beaten track" type things to do that day while the masses do the "normal" stuff?

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks!

-al

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 12:14 PM

We will driving the ole apartment on wheels down to SoCal and will be there from July 15/16 - July 23. We have 5-day "Passport Plus" packages from AAA. My original plan was to go to the park on the 17th just to be part of the "magic" of the actual birthday. Since we have 5-day passes we figured it would OK if we didn't get to ride many rides etc. We were there 3 years ago on July 17 and it was fun, but nothing like what I'm sure this year will be. We normally get to the park around 12:00 and stay until after it closes (either 11 or midnight - depending on the time of year/schedule). We try to go to DLR every couple of years, and typically spend 4-5 days.

This year we have a slightly different wrinkle in that my 11 year old son just broke a growth plate in his foot, so he'll be in a wheelchair most of the time.

If we do go on the 17th we'll obviously get their early... but the question is should we go that day? It will be a bit nuts trying to push a wheelchair around with all those people, but then again it IS the actual birthday. Basically I think it'll be an "experience" and somewhat fun, while my wife is a bit concerned about the crowds.

Is there some good "off the beaten track" type things to do that day while the masses do the "normal" stuff?

Thanks!

-al

I say go for it! Forget the crowds and go with the flow. Space Mountain will be opening that weekend, and then you'll be able to say that you were there on the day that Disneyland officially turned 50. Fifty years to the day that Walt, Ronald Reagan, and Art Linkletter opened that park to families of all ages.

Malcon10t
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks!

-al

We did May 5th with a wheelchair as wheelchair novices. If you are used to it, go for it. But the crowds on the 5th, and trying to negotiate with a wheelchair was almost impossible. The crowds on the 17th will be worse. While I am not in any way suggesting not going (I probably still would go) just be forewarned, it may not be a really pleasant experience. I'm figuring we will wander around most of the day. Hope to see the 430 stuff, then Fantasmic and fireworks.

If he wants to see Fantasmic! and the parade, there are supposedly good areas for this for the wheelchair.

And, DCA will probably be very empty. It is also completely accessible by wheelchair.

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
We did May 5th with a wheelchair as wheelchair novices. If you are used to it, go for it. But the crowds on the 5th, and trying to negotiate with a wheelchair was almost impossible. The crowds on the 17th will be worse. While I am not in any way suggesting not going (I probably still would go) just be forewarned, it may not be a really pleasant experience. I'm figuring we will wander around most of the day. Hope to see the 430 stuff, then Fantasmic and fireworks.

If he wants to see Fantasmic! and the parade, there are supposedly good areas for this for the wheelchair.

And, DCA will probably be very empty. It is also completely accessible by wheelchair.

There is a designated area for wheelchairs to view the parade and fireworks, as stated by Mouseplanet in a posting about areas to view the fireworks. They are apparantly near the photo shop near the end of Main Street. It was stated it wasn't the best area to view the fireworks from this location. You could always go early, find a spot in the plaza hub in the center, park the wheelchair between two benches along the railing and there ya go. But aim for the northwest curve along side the parade route, where you can see both the castle and the Matterhorn. And do this for the second parade, and you won't be waiting long for the fireworks.

amarvel
06-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I say go with the expectation of going on nothing, just enjoying the day and the atmosphere, if you get to do extra fun things then it will be a bonus. Just don't go expecting to do a lot. We had to push my mom in a wheel chair after she had knee surgery and it was NOT fun, people dont move out of the way and the crowds are not wheel chair friendly. But have all this in mind and just go for the fun of being there on the actual day.

Mrs. Newseditor44
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
We went on May 5th and it was ...urgh...ok. We used one of those bike trailer/stroller combos for our 2 boys (as wide as a wheelchair). I have to say that it was extremely crowded and we just had a horrible time initially. We had to get out of the park and skip over to DCA. I think that is what saved our sanity actually. We had a great time over at DCA and we made it over back to DL in time for the parade. We didn't stay for Remember though as we saw it 2 days prior during the final rehearsal.

VickiC
06-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I am dealing with a kid in a cast right now too and I have to say I would take a break that day and do something more relaxing. It's going to be a long week for all of you and you'll need it.

lauramaynot
06-24-2005, 05:24 PM

Thanks!

-al

Two years ago (When I thought only disney geeks like me would even notice that it was the birthday) I had planned on going to the park in addition to the fiftieth celebration, that day is also DH and my anniversary. I wanted to just go and sit and enjoy the atmosphere. No kids, ride a few of the original rides - just me and him and disneyland...but over the last couple of months I have been so surprised at the crowds. We were there in January before the huge amount of advertising began and it was soooo wonderful and relaxing. (here is where I admit I was VERY spoiled during that trip and wonder when or if that form of heaven will ever return). Each monthly trip since then, the crowds have gotten progressively bigger. Last Wednesday which should have been a lighter crowd for summer (shorter hours and not so many aper's) was surprisingly busy - especially after the great exodus of DCA. Mainstreet was a sea of people from about 4:00 til closing and shoulder to shoulder in some of the shops. I didn't take my stroller this time and I still had trouble navigating the crowd. So I have changed my mind and I am opting for a late july/early august trip instead. If you decide to go just go to enjoy the special day and be patient. You may want to avoid mainstreet in the afternoon. A good friend of mine told me that when there are crazy crowds she and her husband (and four kids) exit the park by taking the monorail to the downtown disney exit. That may be an option for you if you are parked in the mickey and friends parking structure and you don't mind leaving a little bit before the park closes since the monorail usually makes it's last trip before the park closes for the night. As I slowly moved down mainstreet I couldn't help thinking if only I had left in time for the last monorail... :( (kicking myself!!) Or you can hang back from the crowds. I am sure they won't be pushing you too hard to leave that night. Just pull up a bench and wait out the crowd.
I would love to be there...if only they would close the park for a private party of 2 ;) oh what a dream that would be.