PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland money-saving tips

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

rentayenta
06-24-2005, 07:18 AM
I am taking the kids, sans DH, to Disneyland for 6 days. Without him there to reign me in, the temptation to overspend will be great! :~D

I have a good amount allotted, I think. I am spending only cash, the AE is staying at home.

What are some money saving strategies that you use, if any? Or do you throw caution to the wind and spend away?

We are going to try Ariel's and the Blue Bayou because my kids haven't done either of them.

P.S. It is very difficult for me to say no to them at Disneyland when it comes to trinkets, toys, and treats especially when we are waiting for a parade or something.

Stupid_American
06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
How many kids, ages, where are you staying, and do you have a car?

Mommy2NicknMax
06-24-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't know how old your kids are but if they are old enough to understand money, maybe set a limit for each child. Let them know how much they have left (once they "have" to have that toy). It will help keep the "I wants" at bay.

As for me, I usually don't buy anything for myself until the last day there (unless it's something that seems really limited of course). Then by the last day, if I still want it that bad, I go get it.

You're wise to do your spending in cash. It's so good to see the money actually going out. That alone usually keeps me from overspending. I like to come home with money to put away for the next trip. :)

rentayenta
06-24-2005, 07:39 AM
How many kids, ages, where are you staying, and do you have a car?

Three children ages 8, 6, and 4. We are staying at the HoJo's. And we will have a car. :)

We plan on buying water and sodas before we hit the HoJo. I should add that we don't want to drive to eat somewhere.

SoCalSteven
06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Buy the soda mugs and have breakfast and lunch at White Water Snacks as often as possible. They have enough variety you could probably go a few times at least.

AlbertaMinnie
06-24-2005, 08:11 AM
First of all, I think you are very very brave to do this on your own!

We are going in July, and my kids (12 and 10) have been saving their own birthday money etc to bring. If they are buying something silly that I know won't get looked at when we get home, then they have to use their own money and once that is gone...it's just gone. If they want to buy something "mommy approved" such as a nice t-shirt etc, then I will buy it for them. Although, like you, I have a hard time saying no - but it can be done!

Just a note though about your restaurant choices, we did the Blue Bayou and Ariels Grotto on our last trip and the kids enjoyed Ariels much much more than the Bayou. Although I would definately go back to the Bayou, I didn't find it very kid friendly since the tables are very very close together and there isnt room to move about very much. (I don't know if your kids are the kind to get up and move around or argue during meals though) We had the waiter take our photo at our table there because it was my birthday, and with my husband and I standing behind the kids chairs, we really had to squeeze in tight so that we weren't hitting the table behind us. Perhaps though, that was just our location in the restaurant, others may have different opinions. At Ariels though, they came by and got the kids to form a line and proceeded to dance through the restaurant. It was sooo cute! Great food at both places and at Ariels, your bill comes in a pile of cotton candy!

Have fun!

Disneyfamily3
06-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Since you have a car go hit a grocery store and get things for breakfast and snacks. We did this our last trip and stocked up on crossiants and fruit for breakfast. We ate till we were really full before heading out to the park,that way we were not really hungry till late and it save money on food for us to use on other things.

pisces
06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Blue Bayou isn't very "money-saving".......that would fall more into the category of throwing caution to the wind.

I would bring food from home: potatoes, granola, cerial, banannas, apples etc. and store it in the frig. Your kids shouldn't feel weird about this: When you go to the movies, don't you take in your own popcorn and snacks brought from home? They can understand the concept of high prices. Even when I was a kid, I knew what the word "rip-off" meant ;) .

I would then schedule one of the all-you-can-eat buffets as my only restaurant meal of the day, preferably at 5:00 pm, and just eat the snacks brought from home for the rest of the day.

Blue Bayou can not be the one meal of the day. Twice I've eaten there and not been filled up, yet money down the drain.

jennia
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
We find that the we are willing to drink our brought from home water longer if we FREEZE it solid. If we don't freeze the water with the heat it isn't refreshing for more than an hour or so and we start buying drinks. If we freeze the water it stays cold or cool into the early afternoon usually.

Do you have a fan mister at home from a past Disney trip? If so bring it and if not think about buying one at WalMart or Target. We got a mister at Wal Mart for less than $20 and on the hot days it is a lifesaver. If we forget it those Disney mister fans start looking REALLY good!!! Also hats and sun glasses from home on a hot day are a help for saving $$ if you are likely to feel like you need one.

We often bring cereal bars or granola bars for morning snacks. We buy Pringles or the Lays that are sold in a tube so they don't get crushed. Beef Jerky is another good snack with a bit of protein. Disneyland states that you can bring snacks into the parks they just want you to leave "meals" in the lockers outside.

We usually try to eat a decent sized meal before we hit the park. Then we eat at the Park for a meal. We try to snack enough to eat our last meal of the day after we leave the park- but since we never stay from opening to closing we are able to pull that off better than someone who is there ALL day long.

bassett1976
06-24-2005, 09:06 AM
First, mousesavers has a LOT of great ideas for saving money.

Second, to avoid buying trinkets and things you could do two things. Check out the DL outlet store(s) and get some stuff for your kids there. OR, you could give your kids some Disney dollars and they have to budget what they want on their own. Then when their dollars run out, they run out.

Carter's Mommy
06-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Have a great time with your kids! It's funny that your dh is the one to reign in your spending because my dh and I are the exact opposite at DL! We like to do some "splurge" things and some "cheap" things at DL. For the more expensive restaurants we try to eat a late lunch, especially at Blue Bayou. We usually then just have a couple snacks, making that our only full meal in the park, after eating breakfast at the hotel. We always bring bottled water with us and soda and snacks from home for the hotel room. I make a gift bag for my son for every night we are there- A surprise from Mickey each morning. I stock up on cheap Disney stuff I see at the dollar store, target, disney store, and disneydeals.com throughout the year, then make small bags before we go. That way my son has a little surprise each morning and comes home with plenty of stuff! Of course, we still buy him stuff in the park, but it seems like I can do a better job limiting the in-park stuff when I know the surprises I have back at the hotel. Good luck!

Andrew
06-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Disclaimer: Not a parent.

It is very difficult for me to say no to them at Disneyland when it comes to trinkets, toys, and treats especially when we are waiting for a parade or something.
Something I've heard works well is to give the kids an allowance to spend on their own goodies in these situations. If they want a "Buzz Lightyear spinning light thing" or a glow sword or whatever, they have to buy it out of their own petty cash fund. You'll no doubt end up supplementing their purchases, but it can be a good start.

got2travel
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I get the glow necklaces and bracelets from the Dollar Tree or Target. (Just gotta remember to bring them in the parks in the evening). I also bring light chasers from previous trips or that I have gotten from the Character Warehouse. (Big help, there's a dollar store right next to the Character Warehouse in Fullerton).

My child wears his own fanny pack full of snacks and gets a set amount of Disney Dollars. If he wants popcorn or some sort of snack, he has to decide whether or not he wants to spend his Disney Dollars, or have something from his stash.

While the IHOP right outside the parks is overpriced, they do have kids eat free every day after 4pm. I think you can get 2 kids meals with every adult meal purchased, so it does save you alot. We usually order to go on our way back to our room.

For pin trading, my son knows I won't purchase any pins in the park. I load up on pins from ebay, then we select 1 or 2 each day to take in and trade.

I'm fortunate that my son doesn't ask for a lot of trinkets when we are at the parks, so he's not constantly asking for stuff. Unless its Star Wars, oh how I hate the exit of Star Tours!

Maybe come up with some Disney trivia games to play while your waiting for shows. Keep them occupied so they won't get bored and start asking for stuf?

Just thought about a drink money saver. You can get Crystal Light To Go packets at Target. I think its 8 or 10 in a pack. Each packet is just enough to mix with a 16 oz bottle of water. That way if they don't like plain water, they can have lemonade. And you can always get free ice from the counters.

Wendi
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Food is what I spend the most money on at DLR... I've had trips where I bring a lot of snacks and drinks, and other trips where I budget enough money to eat anywhere I want.

For budget trips: Get a box of Horizons Organic Chocolate Milk at Costco for the kids. It doesn't need to be refrigerated so it travels well. Bring fruit snacks, string cheese or babybel cheese, goldfish crackers, graham crackers... that sort of thing.

You will be able to eat at the nicer restaurants cheaper if you go for lunch instead of dinner. You can get away with ordering fewer meals if everyone can agree to share entrees.

Make PB&J sandwiches for lunch and just take them to the parks with you. You can bring a box of cereal and some milk and have breakfast in your room each morning. If you are going to want sodas in the parks, get the refillable mug at Whitewater Snacks... you don't have to buy one for everyone, just share... fill up once or twice a day and cut out buying more sodas everywhere you go.

Don't buy souveniers every time you see something you like. Make a list of what you saw that you would like to have, then on the last day decide which items are most important to you and go get them.

Get some Disney clothing before you go to the parks so you aren't tempted to pay park prices for T-Shirts.

rentayenta
06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!

I forgot Dianeyland has a Star Wars shop. My DS is going to go ape!

I plan to buy water and sodas before. I can't stomach spending $2.49 for one soda or bottle of water. :(

I know the BB isn't cheap but I don't plan on stuffing myself with a 3 course meal. My two little ones always share food and my oldest DD and I will share. Plus my kids are really good about sharing popcorn and treats, so that will help. Come to think of it, we are more grazers when it comes to eating at the park, liking to try a little of everything.

Breakfast in our room before we head out is a great idea. They love cereal and I will even allow Lucky Charms. :D

Wendi, food is the big expense here too. I figure $100 per day. I am thinking Ariel's will be $100 for the 4 of us but on those days, we'll eat cheaper. I am thinking the BB will be $50. Am I close on those figures?

Love the glow necklace idea. I will even wear those. ;) I wish I had time to order from Oriental Trading before we leave but we leave in 2 weeks. Maybe I can get them shipped to CC's?

Family5LovesDisney
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
I am taking the kids, sans DH, to Disneyland for 6 days. Without him there to reign me in, the temptation to overspend will be great! :~D

I have a good amount allotted, I think. I am spending only cash, the AE is staying at home.

What are some money saving strategies that you use, if any? Or do you throw caution to the wind and spend away?

We are going to try Ariel's and the Blue Bayou because my kids haven't done either of them.

P.S. It is very difficult for me to say no to them at Disneyland when it comes to trinkets, toys, and treats especially when we are waiting for a parade or something.

WOW! You are a BRAVE MOMMY! Three kids and no husband to help!

Ariel's is TONS of fun! My boys could hardly eat their dinner, they were having too much fun dancing with all of the characters. If they order the chicken nugget meal, it comes with a beach bucket and shovel. A great freebie. (comes in handy in the pool area later on!)

What I have done in the past (Disneyworld more then Disneyland but same thing!) is to give my kids a "budget" for the vacation. I make sure that they understand that it's up to them if they want to blow it all on ONE item or if they want to get two or three smaller items. I have also taken my boys to the Disney Store BEFORE we go away. I let them pick out tee shirts with their favorite characters (they are always having a sale) and we purchased light up spinning fans for the March trip. They worked great for parades and to keep them cool during the day. They were only about $5 each. The light up toys in the Disney Store are cheaper then what they sell on the street. One year, when we went to WDW in January after Christmas, we gave the boys light up toys and fun Disney pajamas and tee shirts as part of their Christmas gifts. I put the light up toys in the diaper bag and pulled them out before the parade started. We used them the whole time we were there!

Mommy2NicknMax
06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Love the glow necklace idea. I will even wear those. ;) I wish I had time to order from Oriental Trading before we leave but we leave in 2 weeks. Maybe I can get them shipped to CC's?
I'm not sure if they carry glow necklaces or not but Party Stores usually have lots of little trinket type stuff real cheap too.

Family5LovesDisney
06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
ARE your driving to Disney?? Another idea is to get some fun items from the Disney store before you leave and wrap them up. Give them to the kids at different points while you are driving (every hour or two) That will help make the trip go faster and build their excitement.

Family5LovesDisney
06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm sure you will bring in some special snacks for the kids to help save on the mid-morning and mid-afternoon munchies! You said that your two younger kids will share a meal sometimes so that is a big help. I know this is bad, but when my boys were younger.........I would bring in peanut butter sandwiches. They would eat them with juice boxes. I might buy french fries or another treat to go with them. Usually, I just gave them the french fries that came with whatever lunch I ordered. :D

Disneygirl65
06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Your kids are younger than the ones i just took, so it will be different stuff. But, 5 of us at The Blue Bayou was 70 without tip. 5 chicken ceasars and 5 sodas. I budgeted 200 per day for food and drinks. I was buying for 3 14 year old girls and me. They had a set amount to spend for sweatshirts, ears, etc. I don't think they spent all their money, in fact, I know they didn't. The food money was on, we bought all food on property except the first night.

rentayenta
06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
DG65, good to know about the BB! I thought we would spend a lot there. Probably helps that we are going for lunch.

The pb and j idea is good but I don't see them eating them at Disneyland as they barely eat them at home. :rolleyes: I ruined them! ;) The like grown up meals with salad, starch, main dish.

I wish we had a Disney Store here. I guess I'll see what they have online as far as sweatshirts go and get it shipped to CC's as well.

Does anyone know how much Ariel's is for dinner? Getawaytoday offers the character meals vouchers and I am wondering if it's cheaper to buy through them?

Family5, Coaster will be there with her DD (10) so I'll have a little help. ;)

Hawaiian Cinderella
06-24-2005, 12:14 PM
We usually stop at the market before checking into the hotel and like you we buy drinks and also snacks and breakfast items. We usually eat breakfast in our room and carry snacks such as granola bars into the park.

Since you are staying at the Hojo's you should check out Mimi's for some meals. The food there is great, plentiful and reasonably priced. Sometimes at dinner we would eat the soup and salad combo and it would come with this gigantic muffin that we would take back to our room for the next morning's breakfast. The carrot/raisin bread that is complimentary with the meals is also to die for and sometimes they would pack that with the muffin if we had any leftovers. :D

As for souveniers......hmmmmm....we just let our DD buy anything that she wants...hey, we are on vacation and we only get to DL once a year. She usually doesn't just buy anything that she sees and so far (cross fingers) she has been purchasing mostly collectable things like snowglobes, fingurines and last trip... golden mouse ears. A lot of things that are sold there are exclusive to the park and can't be purchased at the Disney Store here in Hawaii. I also noticed on one of our trips that sometimes the World of Disney Store is like Costco....if you don't buy it when you see it, when you go back it is sold out and GONE :(

Here's a link to Ariel's Dinner Menu http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/arielsgrottodinnermenu.html
The past times that we went we enjoyed it!

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Don't want to pay the expensive prices for a 20 oz bottle of soda? Go to the store and get one for a cheaper price, but get a warm one. And if you're able to bring it past security, (which you should, they'll think you bought it in the park and I have done this myself) when you're ready to drink it, go to any food/drink stand (not outdoor vending) and ask for a full cup of ice and they'll give it to you for free. Pour the warm soda into the full cup and there ya go!

tinkluver
06-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know how much Ariel's is for dinner? Getawaytoday offers the character meals vouchers and I am wondering if it's cheaper to buy through them?
Adult dinner= $20.99 ea
Child dinner= $13.99 ea
For one price you get a selection from three different courses
Here's a site (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DCAMenus/dcamenus.html) that has a copy of the menu and prices. (it's from June 2005)

hlbtimes2
06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
We don't really try to go cheap, but we dont just throw money away either. If you want an idea of what you are looking at for food prices, check out www.dlresortinfo.com You can view menus, with prices. But the bulk of your souviners at the end of the trip. World of Disney has most things, so you arent running all over trying to get what you want. We had a coupon with our package last time that gave us a % off. I used it to buy most of our stuff. We try to eat one big meal a day, and a couple smaller ones. We share drinks during the day. It takes to long for the kids to drink a full one, so if we share we all get fluids, arent wasting a bunch, and dont have to carry ups of watery soda or warm water around. As others have said- set a budget for the kids. Remind them when they pick something that its coming from their budget so they better choice carefully.