PDA

View Full Version : When is there danger of the park being full?

Family5LovesDisney
06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Does the Disneyland Park fill to capacity quite often or only on special days such as Christmas, New Years, July 4th, Thanksgiving??? We are arriving this Sunday and won't get to the park until about 1:30 or 2:00 (our planes lands in LA at 11:30 if it's on time!) Do you think there is a chance that the park may be at full capacity when we arrive?

bradk
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
New Years is traditionally the day the park operates at capacity. July 4 will be very close and July 17 will undoubtedly hit the mark.

Most other days, you probably have less than a 1% shot of hitting capacity.

hlbtimes2
06-22-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree with Brad. Unless its one of a short list of big holidays or a special event, its rare.

Family5LovesDisney
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
BIG SIGH OF RELIEF! We only have THIS day in the Park before we have to head over to San Diego for my husband's business!

T&Rshep
06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Can DLH guest take the monorail over on july 17? Seems to me that would be better than going through the main gate.

tbminnie
06-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Just a note on this. A couple years ago we went to DL the week between Christmas and New Year. The park hit capacity that day and the front gates were closed at 1pm. My family and I were still able to ride all the big rides plus haunted mansion, pirates of the caribbean, jungle cruise, about 1/2 of fantasy land, and all of tomorrow land. If you utilize fast pass, it is still possible to have a productive day.

bradk
06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
i don't know of any reason why the monorail wouldn't be running.

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
New Years is traditionally the day the park operates at capacity. July 4 will be very close and July 17 will undoubtedly hit the mark.

Yeah, what he said. :p

Malcon10t
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM

I have never seen the park at capacity on New Years (New Years Eve, it often is.) A few years, the week between Christmas and New Years has had several capacity days. This year is going to be the strange year. I seriously doubt the OP will have a problem this weekend, but you just never know.

bradk
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
sorry, i meant new year's eve (for the fireworks). you're right.

VickiC
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
i don't know of any reason why the monorail wouldn't be running.

The monorail will continue to run when the park hits capacity but people won't get off at the DTD station because they'll be told that if they do they won't be let back in. If nobody gets off, that means nobody gets on.

Malcon10t
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Can DLH guest take the monorail over on july 17? Seems to me that would be better than going through the main gate.

The monorail holds 180 people? And figure there are around 5000 people staying the the resort properties. So, they can send 180 people to the park every 5-7 minutes, or the gate can admit about 200 a minute. Monorail will probably be a good idea.

SCUBAbe
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I passed by the park a couple of times last summer on my way to lake forest and there was a sign out saying DL was closed due to capacity...or something to that effect. I'm not sure what summer month it was, but it was on a weekend.

phoenixfire2k5
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
The monorail holds 180 people? And figure there are around 5000 people staying the the resort properties. So, they can send 180 people to the park every 5-7 minutes, or the gate can admit about 200 a minute. Monorail will probably be a good idea.

Keep in mind, that the usual majority of the people riding the monorail, are ones that were already in the park. Usually ones that went through the main gate and are just riding the monorail around for a round trip.

Malcon10t
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Keep in mind, that the usual majority of the people riding the monorail, are ones that were already in the park. Usually ones that went through the main gate and are just riding the monorail around for a round trip.

Actually, in the mornings of very busy day, the monorail does not carry "regular" passengers until the majority of guests from the hotels have been brought in. They will run empty from DL to DLH and just return with pax to drop off. They will usually start regular runs about 10 am.

pisces
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
My understanding (Someone please contradict me :rolleyes: !) is that hotel guests have priority on the Monorail.

This is what I was told. I've never tried that out.

Last New Years Eve had no crowds, and that was not a crowded week.

SCUBAbe
06-23-2005, 06:44 PM
My understanding (Someone please contradict me :rolleyes: !) is that hotel guests have priority on the Monorail.

This is what I was told. I've never tried that out.

Last New Years Eve had no crowds, and that was not a crowded week.

the way it was explained to me both times I stayed at resort hotels is in DTD there is no priority. I showed my hotel pass there once and they said ..NO..it did not work there...stand in line...it does or use to work in tomorrowland. We just went up a different ramp and bypassed the line. I think that line is still there, becasue after the fireworks last saturday it was lined up as far as I could see. I just figured hotel guests going back to their rooms..:)

sediment
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Does the Disneyland Park fill to capacity quite often or only on special days such as Christmas, New Years, July 4th, Thanksgiving??? We are arriving this Sunday and won't get to the park until about 1:30 or 2:00 (our planes lands in LA at 11:30 if it's on time!) Do you think there is a chance that the park may be at full capacity when we arrive?

Most likely capacity days:
1. The six days between 12/26 and 12/31, inclusive.
2. 7/4.
3. This year in particular: 7/17.

When MSEP was "glowing away forever," some ten years ago or so, the final week it showed there were gate closures.

Apparently one of the largest single attendance days occurred in August.

bradk
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
but from what i've read, last new year's eve was the first time in years it wasn't at capacity and i thought the reason for that was rain?

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
but from what i've read, last new year's eve was the first time in years it wasn't at capacity and i thought the reason for that was rain?

According to someone else's post from another thread, I think the reason for that was because of the recent tragedy in Southeast Asia with the Tsunami. At one point, the park was nearly deserted. It was posted under the "terrorist" thread.