PDA

View Full Version : Southern Baptists End Disney Boycott -- SFGate/AP, 2005-06-22

Andrew
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Southern Baptists End Disney Boycott (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/22/financial/f114732D57.DTL&feed=rss.news) -- SFGate/AP, 2005-06-22

Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values" in a vote on the final day of the faith's annual convention Wednesday.

"We believe for the boycott to be effective, it had to have a beginning and an ending," said Gene Mims, chairman of the Southern Baptist Convention committee that put the Disney resolution before some 12,000 members at the meeting.

bradk
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
you know, i forgot about this 7 years, 11 months and 28 days ago.

maybe now disney can start making a dollar.

yeartolate
06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
What happened, did Mickey finally convert? :~D

Hakuna Makarla
06-22-2005, 02:59 PM
DId not know they were boycotting the park :eek: welcome back Baptists :)

MinnieSummer
06-23-2005, 07:02 AM
I'd really like to know how many Southern Baptists actually boycotted Disney. Andif they did was it just the parks or did they not eat at McDonalds where they give out Disney toys? Did they not go to Disney themed birthday parties? Disney is everywhere, how could they possibly avoid it? Or am I just such a fan that i see it everywhere?

sacheat
06-23-2005, 07:44 AM
I'd really like to know how many Southern Baptists actually boycotted Disney.
In high school, we went to WDW with the band and none of our french horn players went bc they were Southren Baptist........I went, converted to French Horn from trumpet.....their loss..hehe... Oh well, that was in '96, but they took it seriously

PennyLane
06-23-2005, 08:08 AM
My cousin is married to a Southern Baptist girl- I sent them a baby present a few years back and she politley asked if I would be offended if they returned it. It had Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse on it. So, in my experience, this is something that was taken very seriously.

MrsPooh
06-23-2005, 11:32 AM
I think , and please don't quote me on this, but I think this was the time that the Nazarene's did their protest as well. They talked about it, and I know that we lost Nazarene Night at DL because they were boycotting the benefits that were given to gay employee partners.

All I have to say about it is :rolleyes:

John
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Hmmm .... went to see The Exorcist when it first came out back in ‘72 (three?) at a theater in Clovis NM. The SB's were boycotting and picketing the theater and handing out “Tickets to Hell” to all those in line to get in. (I wish I had saved the damned ticket!). Doesn’t seem that they made any more of a dent in the movie’s attendance than they did in Disneyland’s.

mystycalchyk
06-23-2005, 03:04 PM
and I know that we lost Nazarene Night at DL because they were boycotting the benefits that were given to gay employee partners.

*knows her fried wont be offended but....*

no offense to any Nazarenites (?) Nazareeners? ...oh well ....you know what I mean.....out there.

*ahem*

Nazarene Night? Now that sound like a PARTAY!!!!! whoohooooooooo

*pumps fist in the air a few times for emphasis*

:p

:|

*slinks away because it wa much funnier in her head than it was typed out*

*sigh*

Andrew
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
The SB's were boycotting and picketing the theater and handing out “Tickets to Hell” to all those in line to get in.
I wonder if you could use one as a Fastpass for Mr Toad's Wild Ride?

(I wish I had saved the damned ticket!). (emphasis added)

mystycalchyk
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
.....boycotting and picketing the theater and handing out “Tickets to Hell” to all those in line to get in. (I wish I had saved the damned ticket!).

HEY!!!! I got a ticket to Hell once!!! I think I still have it. I'll have to look.

It was given to me by this sanctimonious couple outside the WalMart where I was minding my own business sitting in my car waiting for my friend to get off work.
They saw the peace sign stickers on my car and came up to me.

man: "Them's sum mighty interstin bumper stickers ya got on yer car thar"
me: huh? Oh....umm thanks
man: I especially like that one with that satanic symbol on it
me: *sigh* Well, I dont see it as a 'satanic symbol' It's a peace sign.
man: No, it's an upside down cross with the arms broken down...it's satan's sign fer sure
me: *sigh* Actually no, it's not an upside down cross, it's the symbol of a doves foot print covering the earth. The dove is the symbol of peace, the circle signifies the earth. Peace. On. Earth.
man: Hmmm...well yer gonna need this...*hands me a ticket*
me: :eek:

once I composed myself a bit, I called out to him...waving the ticket and smiling.....saying..."Hey....thanks!!! Guess I'll see you there!"

:rolleyes:

I was completely flabbergasted that some group got together and came to the conclusion of doing this. I can picture the meeting:

person#1: Goodness I dont know what to do about all these lost souls out there in the world
person #2: Yes...our services certainly have been empty lately.
person #3: Hey, I know....lets print tickets to hell to offend people...that will surely win people to our flock

:rolleyes:

Bill Catherall
06-23-2005, 04:01 PM
"We believe for the boycott to be effective, it had to have a beginning and an ending," said Gene Mims
I don't have a problem with their choosing to boycott and respect them for taking a stand for what they believe in. However, the above quote makes no sense at all. How does a beginning and a (premature) ending make a boycott effective? It only seems like caving in or giving up to me. It either ends when the desired change is made or it never ends. That's a boycott.

Oh, and, how are you people going to be going to Hell without your tickets? Huh? Did you ever think about that? ;)

arpinl
06-23-2005, 06:24 PM
I'd really like to know how many Southern Baptists actually boycotted Disney. Andif they did was it just the parks or did they not eat at McDonalds where they give out Disney toys? Did they not go to Disney themed birthday parties? Disney is everywhere, how could they possibly avoid it? Or am I just such a fan that i see it everywhere?

After "Hercules" was released, I was in a McDonald's in NC (as I often am :rolleyes: ), and a gentleman returned his French fries b/c they were in a Hercules-themed cup, explaining that he was a Southern Baptist.

Disney Vault
06-27-2005, 08:01 PM
This is something I will never understand.